Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1565963 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1085279 Feb 23, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still circling the tower.
When are you finally going to land?
You start out knocking Conservative nutjobs and then complain that nutjobs on both sides of the aisle do this and now you complain that I haven't given my opinion on Ted Nugent.
What is it that you are chasing here? Your tail?
chasing? your hypocrisy.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1085280 Feb 23, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you must not be paying attention. but then yo only hear what you are told to parrot, right? why don't you look for these things yourself instead of waiting to be told them? just cannot shake that sheep mentality, can you?
If you ever had a nice day, somebody would call 911 for you.
THE DEBIL

Lombard, IL

#1085281 Feb 23, 2014
YOU, "RIGHT AS RAIN," TICK?

“you know i know”

Since: Oct 07

denver

#1085282 Feb 23, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a small portion in the increase prices in food is due to ethanol.
the rest of the blame belongs to dems/libs/nazis/tree huggers

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1085283 Feb 23, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sharia Law condemns gays to death. Not quite the same as refusing to make a gay wedding birthday cake based on the baker's religious beliefs.
as uual, you don't understand the concept. but then you don't even understand how your own nation works...so sad...

your cult also condemns gays to death...why do you disobey your proven false god so? do you realize your cult's god is bullshit? why not do as he clearly states, then?

it is funny to watch you cult hypocrites squirm...

Lapeer, MI

#1085284 Feb 23, 2014
Baawwaahhh wrote:
<quoted text>
'Chirr','Chirr'
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/health-exchange/...
"California already beating forecasts for Obamacare signups"
February 19, 2014, 3:04 PM
Er, you can go back to sleep now.
This has holes in it that you could drive truck through.

Like the highway between your ears.
THE DEBIL

Lombard, IL

#1085285 Feb 23, 2014
NOW, TICK, HONEY, YOU MIGHT CONSIDER DEBIL'S METHODS AS UNDULY HARSH... LOTTA FOLKS DO. BUT, YOU GOT TO CONSIDER WHAT AT STAKE... IF DEBIL LET YOU GET AWAY WITH YOU CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR, WHAT'S TO STOP SOMEONE ELSE FROM DOIN' IT? THEREFORE, DEBIL SURE YOU UNDERSTAN' WHEN HE MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF YOU?

St. Croix valley

#1085286 Feb 23, 2014
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is responsible for measuring the ocean temps? How did they get that job?
What disciplines are involved? How old are these disciplines? Are there any redibility issues with these academic disciplines?
How are ocean temps recorded? What technology is being used? What are the limits to this technology?
What about human error? Are you figuring in human error associated with DATA entry?
show us what you are made of....
why do you expect me to answer your questions? i know you look to me with awe and since i usually show all your posts to be crap you think i know everything...you practically stated such yesterday...

let us discuss research fees...

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1085287 Feb 23, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>you mean Bush who broke records for spending? seriously?
sorry dear, you really need to stop parroting these people. they are making you look like a fool...
Where do you get your news from?

“you know i know”

denver

#1085288 Feb 23, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
They learned they should have been more vocal and less complacent when Bush warned them - and the Democrats - about Fannie and Freddie.
They also learned there needs to be minimal government oversight to protect consumers without overregulating. The pendulum has swung to the other extreme under this administration.
They learned that government has to manage itself before managing the people.
They aren't perfect. But at least they have a grip on the right direction. They haven't had their chance at bat since the economic fallout.
No coerced sub prime loans, no crisis.

Loans repaid on time, no crisis.

loans given to the unworthy, crisis.

Lapeer, MI

#1085289 Feb 23, 2014
Patrick n Angela wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup
?

Robert Parker on drugs?

“you know i know”

denver

#1085290 Feb 23, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
They learned they should have been more vocal and less complacent when Bush warned them - and the Democrats - about Fannie and Freddie.
They also learned there needs to be minimal government oversight to protect consumers without overregulating. The pendulum has swung to the other extreme under this administration.
They learned that government has to manage itself before managing the people.
They aren't perfect. But at least they have a grip on the right direction. They haven't had their chance at bat since the economic fallout.
"Because Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac made a market for subprime mortgages the lenders did not have to worry about of the soundness of the mortgage contract they wrote. Thus the lenders could write the mortgages as adjustable interest rate mortgages knowing full well that an upturn in the interest rates could easily throw the borrower into insolvency."
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1085291 Feb 23, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, it may have been hot where you were, but globally, the planet’s cold streak continues unabated.
the planet? cold?

A record-setting heat wave impacted much of Australia during the final week of 2013 and the first week of 2014.

The heat wave was a fitting end to 2013, which has been confirmed as the hottest year in Australia on record by the Australia Bureau of Meteorology.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/re...

much like the predictions of our coming summer.
THE DEBIL

Lombard, IL

#1085292 Feb 23, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the barking dog that one needs to worry about. It is the silent one.
BOY "THAT" THE TRUTH... DEBIL USE WORSHIP THIS GIRL WHOSE FAMILY HAD A COTTAGE ON THE LAKE AN' AN AFGHAN HOUND THAT WIN WESTMINSTER. DEBIL OUT ON THE GRAVELLY BEACH FISHIN'- AS HE IS WONT TO DO - AN' HE HEAR HER SQUEALIN' LIKE A HAPY L'IL GIRL AN' HE LOOK BACK AS SHE RUNNIN' TOWARDS HIM, ARMS OUTSTRETCHED, AN' THAT DOG RUN UP BEHIND THIS BE-AUT-I-FUL GIRL IN A BIKINI AN' HE TAKE A HUNK OUT HER ASS AS BIG AS YOU FIST. DEBIL STUNNED. IT HER GODDAM DOG! SUBSEQUENTLY DEBIL DISCOVER HER FAMILY HAD THE DOG'S VOICEBOX REMOVED TO MAKE IT LESS LIKELY HE BARK DURING ONE OF THE SHOWS AN' LOSE HIS CHANCE AT "WINNIN'." NO GODDAM WONDER HE EAT HER MAGNIFICENT ASS SHORTLY BEFO' DEBIL ABLE TO...

St. Croix valley

#1085293 Feb 23, 2014
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
various sources. where do you get yours from?

why would you care if as you say i am always just posting opinions? you can't help but point out your own bullshit, can you?

Location hidden

#1085294 Feb 23, 2014
I am back!

who needs Jesus...

When dealing with MORTALITY....
"Some observational studies suggest that people who have regular spiritual practices tend to live longer"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1085295 Feb 23, 2014
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
where do you get yours?

Obama’s Budget: Spending Too High, But Bush Was Worse

http://www.cato.org/blog/obamas-budget-spendi...

i just love right wing sources, don't you?
THE DEBIL

Lombard, IL

#1085296 Feb 23, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
No coerced sub prime loans, no crisis.
Loans repaid on time, no crisis.
loans given to the unworthy, crisis.
AH, YES, THE OL''UNWORTHY.' LIKE THE JEWS IN WIEMAR... THE IRISH IN NEW YORK... THE ITALIANS JUS' ABOUT ANYWHERE'S... THAT THE PROBLEM WITH UNWORTHINESS... IT SO... SUBJECTIVE...

Location hidden

#1085297 Feb 23, 2014
those evil churches.....

burn them...

"Another study points to a possible mechanism: interleukin (IL)-6. Increased levels of IL-6 are associated with an increased incidence of disease. A research study involving 1700 older adults showed that those who attended church were half as likely to have elevated levels of IL-6"

Koenig HG, Cohen HJ, George LK, Hays JC, Larson DB, Blazer DG. Attendance at religious services, interleukin-6, and other biological parameters of immune function in older adults. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1997;27:233–250
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1085298 Feb 23, 2014
Bush drive for home ownership fueled housing bubble

From his earliest days in office, Bush paired his belief that Americans do best when they own their own homes with his conviction that markets do best when left alone. Bush pushed hard to expand home ownership, especially among minority groups, an initiative that dovetailed with both his ambition to expand Republican appeal and the business interests of some of his biggest donors. But his housing policies and hands-off approach to regulation encouraged lax lending standards.

Bush did foresee the danger posed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government-sponsored mortgage finance giants. The president spent years pushing a recalcitrant Congress to toughen regulation of the companies, but was unwilling to compromise when his former Treasury secretary wanted to cut a deal. And the regulator Bush chose to oversee them - an old school buddy - pronounced the companies sound even as they headed toward insolvency.

As early as 2006, top advisers to Bush dismissed warnings from people inside and outside the White House that housing prices were inflated and that a foreclosure crisis was looming. And when the economy deteriorated, Bush and his team misdiagnosed the reasons and scope of the downturn. As recently as February, for example, Bush was still calling it a "rough patch."

The result was a series of piecemeal policy prescriptions that lagged behind the escalating crisis.

"There is no question we did not recognize the severity of the problems," said Al Hubbard, Bush's former chief economic adviser, who left the White House in December 2007. "Had we, we would have attacked them."

Looking back, Keith Hennessey, Bush's current chief economic adviser, said he and his colleagues had done the best they could "with the information we had at the time." But Hennessey did say he regretted that the administration had not paid more heed to the dangers of easy lending practices.

And both Paulson and his predecessor, John Snow, say the housing push went too far.

"The Bush administration took a lot of pride that home ownership had reached historic highs," Snow said during an interview. "But what we forgot in the process was that it has to be done in the context of people being able to afford their house. We now realize there was a high cost."

For much of the Bush presidency, the White House was preoccupied by terrorism and war; on the economic front, its pressing concerns were cutting taxes and privatizing Social Security, a government retirement and disability benefits program. The housing market was a bright spot: Ever-rising home values kept the economy humming, as owners drew down on their equity to buy consumer goods and pack their children off to college.

Lawrence Lindsay, Bush's first chief economic adviser, said there was little impetus to raise alarms about the proliferation of easy credit that was helping Bush meet housing goals.

"No one wanted to stop that bubble," Lindsay said. "It would have conflicted with the president's own policies."

Today, millions of Americans are facing foreclosure, home ownership rates are virtually no higher than when Bush took office, Fannie and Freddie are in a government conservatorship, and the bailout cost to taxpayers could run in the trillions of dollars.

As the economy has shed jobs - 533,000 last month alone - and his party has been punished by irate voters, the weakened president has granted his Treasury secretary extraordinary leeway in managing the crisis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/business/wo...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Jacques Ottawa-O... 242,282
Trump Just Sux 1 hr Moe Greens optome... 92
Trump will lose Votes after today's speech 1 hr Genl Forrest 3
News Girl drowns at Gary Beach (Jul '07) 3 hr TETE BRITT 23
Letter to NFL Commissioners. 7 hr test 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr SweLL GirL 11,020
How Adam got Eve. 18 hr The Serpent 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages