Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1760152 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1084682 Feb 22, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone with access to a welder and the Internet soon could make his or her own replacement parts or tools with a new 3D metal printer that can be built in any garage.
Until recently, most of the 3D printing hype has swirled around plastic 3D printers, which have been used to make everything from clothing to art. And while 3D metal printers do exist, their price tag starts at a half million dollars.
Now, scientists have built an open-source 3D metal printer that costs under $1,200, sharing their design and software with the maker community.
"We have open-sourced the plans," in the hopes of accelerating the technology by allowing others to build upon the design, said project leader Joshua Pearce, a materials engineer at Michigan Technological University in Houghton.[The 10 Weirdest Things Created By 3D Printing]
The snazzy device is modeled after a RepRap (short for "replicating rapid prototype"), a 3D printer that can print most of its own components. The printer uses a metal inert gas (MIG) welder to lay down thin layers of steel, much like plastic printers do, and build complex geometric objects. All of the parts needed to build the metal printer are things one could buy or print using a plastic 3D printer, Pearce told LiveScience.
Pearce envisions the printer being used to make replacement parts for things such as bicycles or to print scientific tools, which could radically reduce the cost of lab equipment, he said.
"I hope to see a large number of small companies starting up to make specialty parts," he said.
Of course, there's always the chance that someone will use the technology to make guns or other weapons. The standard design files are already out there, and Pearce said he's sure someone will make weapons from them.
"Every single technology humanity has ever developed, we have found a way to abuse," he said,
But Pearce said the technology has greater potential to be used for good. In the developing world, for example, the printer could be used to make water pumps or windmill components.
The printer takes about a day to build, and it is inexpensive and simple enough to be built in a garage by someone without much welding experience. But the technology is better suited for use by a small shop business or maker space, because of the safety gear required to operate a welder.
Higher-end metal printers are still much more precise than the one made by Pearce's team. "We are definitely not there yet," Pearce said, but he added that the resolution and speed will only improve with the involvement of the maker community.
The new printer design was detailed Nov. 25 in the journal IEEE Access.
You don't even need to own a 3D printer to create your idea. One company in Spain (You3dit) takes your idea and has designers who transform the idea into a 3D CAD file which is printed out by a 3D printer in your area "in record time" around the world. Pretty amazing.

http://www.you3dit.com/
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1084683 Feb 22, 2014
Patrick n Angela wrote:
The Ukrainian opposition leader and former Prime Minister, Yulia Tymoshenko, has been freed from jail.
It follows a vote by parliament to release her after President Viktor Yanukovych fled the capital Kiev.
Speaking after her release, she said "the dictatorship has fallen".
She was sentenced to seven years in jail in 2011 after a controversial verdict on her actions as prime minister.
The glamorous, fiery orator who helped lead the Orange Revolution - Ukraine's revolt against a controversial election in 2004 - was convicted of criminally exceeding her powers when she agreed a gas deal with Russia which was seen to have disadvantaged Ukraine.
She has always insisted the charges were untrue, inspired by Mr Yanukovych, the man she helped oust in 2004 who returned to defeat her in the 2010 presidential election.
The European Union had demanded her release as one of the conditions of the EU-Ukraine trade pact that President Yanukovych rejected last year - triggering the protests that led to the current crisis.
Olha Lappo, spokeswoman for the Fatherland party Ms Tymoshenko leads, said she was heading from prison in the eastern city of Kharkiv to the capital Kiev to join protesters there.
Her release was made possible by a European-brokered peace deal between her President Yanukovych and the opposition on Friday.
the overthrow of the Ukrainian dictator should worry Obama....
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1084684 Feb 22, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone with access to a welder and the Internet soon could make his or her own replacement parts or tools with a new 3D metal printer that can be built in any garage.
Until recently, most of the 3D printing hype has swirled around plastic 3D printers, which have been used to make everything from clothing to art. And while 3D metal printers do exist, their price tag starts at a half million dollars.
Now, scientists have built an open-source 3D metal printer that costs under $1,200, sharing their design and software with the maker community.
"We have open-sourced the plans," in the hopes of accelerating the technology by allowing others to build upon the design, said project leader Joshua Pearce, a materials engineer at Michigan Technological University in Houghton.[The 10 Weirdest Things Created By 3D Printing]
The snazzy device is modeled after a RepRap (short for "replicating rapid prototype"), a 3D printer that can print most of its own components. The printer uses a metal inert gas (MIG) welder to lay down thin layers of steel, much like plastic printers do, and build complex geometric objects. All of the parts needed to build the metal printer are things one could buy or print using a plastic 3D printer, Pearce told LiveScience.
Pearce envisions the printer being used to make replacement parts for things such as bicycles or to print scientific tools, which could radically reduce the cost of lab equipment, he said.
"I hope to see a large number of small companies starting up to make specialty parts," he said.
Of course, there's always the chance that someone will use the technology to make guns or other weapons. The standard design files are already out there, and Pearce said he's sure someone will make weapons from them.
"Every single technology humanity has ever developed, we have found a way to abuse," he said,
But Pearce said the technology has greater potential to be used for good. In the developing world, for example, the printer could be used to make water pumps or windmill components.
The printer takes about a day to build, and it is inexpensive and simple enough to be built in a garage by someone without much welding experience. But the technology is better suited for use by a small shop business or maker space, because of the safety gear required to operate a welder.
Higher-end metal printers are still much more precise than the one made by Pearce's team. "We are definitely not there yet," Pearce said, but he added that the resolution and speed will only improve with the involvement of the maker community.
The new printer design was detailed Nov. 25 in the journal IEEE Access.
No credible source__wonder why?

Flacko you can google "the future of 3D printing" or "3D printing in manufacturing" and find dozens of pieces on the subject__some of which you've actually linked over the past year or two.

I suggest that you read more on the subject and go beyond the headline and photos.

A recent Forbes piece, for instance, explains why the stock market is not crazy about the technology just yet and why certain manufacturers are shying away "so far" because their current processes are much cheaper, faster and more reliable.

This is not a brand new subject for you and I is it?? We've been discussing it for how long?? Two years? Three? And not much has happened beyond some fool spending a fortune to build a plastic pistol that can only fire certain ammo at a rate that doesn't generate heat that would melt the smaller parts as well as the chamber.

It is creating enormous strides in dentistry-false teeth and certain other medical related one off devices, stints etc.
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084685 Feb 22, 2014
Advertisement in the Encino Advertiser: Gourmet Well Drilling. Completely non-smoking crews from Greece and Corsica and England. All English speaking, (Eton, Harrow, Exeter in a few cases...). No tools are used in the creation of your Welle, we simply dig a big deep hole in the ground with our toes. Prices... competitive. Call today for an appointment.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1084686 Feb 22, 2014
THE DEBIL wrote:
I believe is rather safe to say that the only real problem economically we have in this country is our failure to recognize that we need only raise taxes on American business-people to rectify the outrageous financial excesses of two pathetically fought wars, and, frankly, as the patient's blood pressure has been dropping, simultaneously the stock market has been soaring like an eagle of sorts. What? Is wall street money somehow less taxable than our own? It is? Oh, mercy me, I'd forgotten... Is it just me or is "someone" avoiding the fact that all one needs to do to get out of a darkened room is to go to the exit door and open it?
Aw, yes.

“Every now and then one paints a picture that seems to have opened a door and serves as a stepping stone to other things.”
&#8213; Pablo Picasso
Patrick n Angela

United States

#1084687 Feb 22, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the overthrow of the Ukrainian dictator should worry Obama....
No woman in your life
just a troll of the thread?
-
Angela
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084688 Feb 22, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it is rather safe to say you are insane... why not raise taxes on those that don't pay any?
Just one further thing, if I'M insane, what does that make you, my sparring partner? Desperate?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1084689 Feb 22, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
using a personal experience as an example of unfairly tagging stupid drunks doesn't seem to fly.
if you got caught....someone saw your dingus.
and i would call that offensive to the max.
so maybe you should have been charged with being sexually offensive? a size does matter charge? though then you could use the defense of 'then how did they see it?'.
in fact, he is correct. and no, no one had to see his penis

my dads friend was arrested for public urination on a golf course, the lady that called the cops on him...(yes,the cops were actually waiting for him at the clubhouse with the crazy lady..) the poor guy had to go, found as discreet a place as he could...the lady had to be watching him the whole time to see what he was doing and could not have seen his penis at all in any way....

he is a sexual predator in that state.

moral of this story, if the cops ask if you urinated in public, lie...

St. Croix valley

#1084690 Feb 22, 2014
THE DEBIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one further thing, if I'M insane, what does that make you, my sparring partner? Desperate?
i'm not your sparring partner at all...

you seem to be delusional...
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084691 Feb 22, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw, yes.
“Every now and then one paints a picture that seems to have opened a door and serves as a stepping stone to other things.”
&#8213; Pablo Picasso
Is there any chance you're lying about being married? It's not really a problem for me I'm just trying to make it easier on you...

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1084692 Feb 22, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
one problem is that the "sex offender" label gets applied to people who are no such thing...
for example, guys who get drunk and are caught urinating in a bush at 3 am......
Although I don't agree with Rep. Sam Moore's insane law, I do agree with your assessment of "sex offenders". So many young people have been labeled as sexual offenders as the result of sexual experimentation, not sexual deviance, that they have been forced down a path of little hope. One-size-fits-all labeling is injurious.
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084693 Feb 22, 2014
Just the concept of a woman is SUCH an incredibly powerful image. Watching one ski down a slalom course in a shiny, skintight bodysuit when you KNOW there's nothing underneath is, frankly, excruciating. Thank goodness there's still such a thing as working with your hands.

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1084694 Feb 22, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
DemoKKKrats fear a real Republican like Scott Walker and promote a RINO marshmallow like Christie instead.....
but if they can't prove anything, both will emerge stronger.....
likely Republican nominee in 2016 is a Republican Governor.....probably from the Midwest, broadly defined.....
How do you manage to go through life with your eyes shut?
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084695 Feb 22, 2014
You know, muse, without a little input from you soon I cannot be held responsible for my actions... wait... that didn't come outright... wait... that didn't come out right either... nuts!... Wait...

St. Croix valley

#1084696 Feb 22, 2014
THE DEBIL wrote:
Just the concept of a woman is SUCH an incredibly powerful image. Watching one ski down a slalom course in a shiny, skintight bodysuit when you KNOW there's nothing underneath is, frankly, excruciating. Thank goodness there's still such a thing as working with your hands.
you've never actually touched a real woman, have you?
i can see why...
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084697 Feb 22, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i'm not your sparring partner at all...
you seem to be delusional...
And yet, here you are?
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084698 Feb 22, 2014
Ummm.. I'm not absolutely sure you've noticed, but you nose is horribly broken and you've lost a few teeth? Why do you suppose that is?

“Peace on Earth”

Location hidden

#1084699 Feb 22, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it is rather safe to say you are insane... why not raise taxes on those that don't pay any?
I a question out of no where......if we charged everyone in America who doesn't earn enough money to pay income tax $10 just for the privilege of contributing to the income tax system, would you be happy?
BM R Parasites

Brooklyn, NY

#1084700 Feb 22, 2014
THE DEBIL wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Can you relate on some level, or are you trying to profit by my example?
Nobody profits under liberal policies unless they're lay-abouts, leeches or part of some ill-conceived "protected class" designed to generate votes, fool.
THE DEBIL

Buffalo, NY

#1084701 Feb 22, 2014
Hmmmmm... I'm being suspiciously ignored by my Indian friends at Topix's thought police bureau? I think it's safe to say that a major earthquake hit Mumbai and Delhi earlier today...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 2 hr The real Rudy 81
Do Jews support Trump now? 7 hr actorvet 1
News Berwyn man charged with impersonating Secretary... 7 hr August Alex 1
News Small Town Security: Claustrophobic, visually r... (May '13) 9 hr TipsyFromCentralC... 5
Kennedy Lied and People Died and were enslaved. 10 hr KENNEDYs R LIQUID... 29
Arne Duncan's Unconstitutional Plan 10 hr Duncan IS SPECIAL 2
Bubba should walk in Chappaqua Woods. 10 hr Stained Blue Dress 3

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages