Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1275230 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1080347 Feb 15, 2014
More beneficial spending....

"The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex."

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spending...

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

United States

#1080348 Feb 15, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
what are the two classes????....
producers and moochers????....
That's what he wants.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1080349 Feb 15, 2014
killtaker wrote:
Facebook is not Science and look at what you can be.. instead of just male or female...
"Agender
Androgyne
Androgynous
Bigender
Non-Binary
Male to Female
Female to Male
Trans
Trans Female
Trans Male
Trans Man
Trans Person
Cs
Cs Female
Cs Male
Cs Woman
Cs Man
Cs Gender
Csgender Male
Csgender Female
Csgender Man
Csgender Woman
Gender Fluid
Gender Nonconforming
Gender Questioning
Gender Variant
Genderqueer
Neither
Neutrois
FTM
MTF
Trans*
Trans* Female
Trans* Woman
Transgender Female
Transgender Male
Other
Intersex
Transsexual
Transsexual Man
Transsexual Woman
Transsexual Person
Transsexual Male
Transsexual Female
Trans Masculine
Trans* Male
Trans* Man
Two Spirit
Pangender"
http://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2014/0...
does it surprise you that human sexuality runs the gamut of all possibilities?

and you claim some almost knowledge of the social sciences?!?!?!

i think i see a flaw in your bullshit...i'll wait till the convoy of semi's driving through the whole in your stories passes and then i'll look further...

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

United States

#1080350 Feb 15, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
what gives you the idea that all cash buyers are "investors"???...
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so you are saying changing one's mind is a bad thing?
it's fun to watch you parrot crap you don't understand that will end up making you look like the fool you are...
It's funny seeing you reply to another good person with the exact same canned choreographed reply as you used on me.
Lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1080351 Feb 15, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
lady with n****r ambulance-chaser husband slings racial slurs and doesn't know the difference...
Flack, pls remove this racist garbage

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1080352 Feb 15, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Filibuster.
Look it up.
Repiublicans filibuster a bill to eliminate oil subsidies.
My God, you are so stupid that you don't know how the Senate works.
Typical right whiner. Dumber than sh*t & too stupid to know it.
Really?
The next time you hear President Obama beating up on oil companies and crusading to wipe out what he calls the industry’s “tax breaks,” don’t be fooled: He’s telling a lie.
Recently at the White House, Obama unleashed some of his most aggressive rhetoric yet on the subject, telling Congress that it can “stand with big oil companies or ... the American people.”
“I think it’s time [oil companies] got by without more help from taxpayers,” the president added.
Only days before that, Senate Democrats had introduced a measure to raise the tax burden on oil companies dramatically, while creating credits for so-called renewables. The legislation narrowly missed the 60 votes needed to advance. But it’s crystal clear that the Democratic Party, from the top down, is committed to turning anti-oil rhetoric into policy
But again, the sales pitch is based on a giant distortion — a lie. Obama and the Democrats talk about huge “subsidies”— as if taxpayers are signing billion-dollar checks to oil and gas companies. But oil companies don’t get subsidies. Rather, like every other business, they’re allowed to take tax deductions for the expenses they incur.
A tax deduction and a government subsidy aren’t the same. When politicians use the terms interchangeably, it misleads many Americans.
Oil-company tax deductions aren’t special favors. They are the standard relief afforded manufacturers, mining companies and other businesses to help recognize the costs of operations. Oil companies can deduct their expenses for things like equipment purchases and rig-technicians’ salaries. The point of these deductions — as for any other industry or individual — is to ensure taxes are only levied on income after expenses.
Oil companies can also deduct expenses related to exploration or development. The idea there is to provide an incentive to take on the often substantial risk of seeking new energy sources. When these efforts succeed, the energy market expands, prices drop and America moves that much closer to energy independence.
But even these deductions aren’t unique to energy companies. Many provisions in the tax code seek to encourage certain kinds of behavior. Mortgage deductions reward home ownership. Special tax benefits promote savings in individual retirement accounts or 401(k)s.
Overall, the oil and natural-gas industries claim about $2.8 billion a year in tax deductions. Yet that’s a tiny price to pay for the huge benefits the sector generates for the economy.
Over the last five years, through the thick of the recession, the oil and natural-gas industries have added 160,000 jobs. These firms now employ more than 9 million people. And 2011 saw higher domestic oil production for the third year in a row.
Now, some energy-sector players do get federal subsidies, and they’re massive. They’re the “alternative-energy” companies the White House is so fond of. The wind and solar sectors alone take in $12.5 billion annually in direct subsidies.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1080353 Feb 15, 2014
Initially, this vast government support was justified on the grounds that “clean tech” was an infant industry that needed help to start competing with traditional energy sources. But we’re now years into shelling out tens of billions in taxpayer dollars — in return for little in innovation or self-sustaining jobs.
Today, each solar-energy megawatt is produced with a stunning $776 in investment- and production-tax credits. For wind power, it’s $56 a megawatt. That’s a huge public expenditure for not much energy production. The tax incentives for fossil fuels amount to a mere 64 cents per megawatt.
Worse, despite the public largess, some clean-tech companies have such flawed business models that they’ve already gone under. Solyndra, the solar-panel manufacturer that went belly up last year, left US taxpayers on the hook for half a billion dollars in unpaid loans. Among other costly bankruptcies was Beacon Power, an electricity-grid utility company that folded in October.
Bottom line: Oil and natural gas companies aren’t subsidized — they’re merely benefiting from the same, reasonable cost-of-operation deductions afforded to all kinds of industries.
The real subsidies — and the real scandal — are to be found in “renewable” energy, which has taken in tens of billions in direct government payments over the last few years but has little to show for it.
Tower Realty LLC

Orlando, FL

#1080354 Feb 15, 2014
To the woman known as "carol:"

The check bounced. You need to call my office immediately.

Ari

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

United States

#1080355 Feb 15, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>we havehad pretty much the same percentage of gay people in our population since recorded history began...
that would be a normal, natural part of our species.
What about our full history. That is much longer than recorded history.
Link?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1080356 Feb 15, 2014
positronium wrote:
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>It's funny seeing you reply to another good person with the exact same canned choreographed reply as you used on me.
nothing canned about it...

do you think changing one's mind is a bad thing?

why can you not keep your comments and the quotes you respond to coherent? are you really that stupid?

Location hidden

#1080357 Feb 15, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>what does social science have to do with real science?(outside of the fact that social scientists get really mad when you ask for a medium coffee instead of a 'grande'...)
You toggle between hard science and philosophy its hard to take you serious...

Karl Marx was a Social Scientist....you'd have to be quite the mental paraplegic to not understand his influence on the world of politics and economics., law.....

here is an explanation:

You would NOT hire a climatologist to argue economics or politics....
on the other hand...
You would hire a Social Scientist to argue a case involving law, politics, economics that pertain to Climate...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1080358 Feb 15, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because if the President of the United States lied and covered up the truth about a terrorist attack on the anniversary of 9/11 JUST TO WIN AN ELECTION, he will be forced to resign or the impeachment process will begin!!
Sheesh!!! Why do you think Richard Nixon was forced to resign???
Are you even old enough to remember the similarities between these two presidents?
so you're still under the Dick Morris misconception that Mitt actually had a chance of winning.

carol, the reelection was destined to be for the same reason he got elected in the first place...Republicans. no one trusts them to run the country after 8 years of Bush admin incompetence. i realize that all of you who voted for Bush have had to be on an apology tour since 2007, but this whole feigning total denial thing about why Obama is in the WH is verging on insanity.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1080359 Feb 15, 2014
killtaker wrote:
More beneficial spending....
"The National Science Foundation awarded a grant for $876,752 to the University of Iowa to study whether there is any benefit to sex among New Zealand mud snails and whether that explains why any organism has sex."
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/feds-spending...
LMAO at cnsnews, a div of Media Research Center created by L Brent Bozell III.

I guess you missed the discussion on this very thread just yesterday regarding that fraud and his lazy articles on just about every subject imaginable.

BTW that particular mud snail is a problematic invasive species in parts of the US and Europe.

Location hidden

#1080360 Feb 15, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>does it surprise you that human sexuality runs the gamut of all possibilities?
i think i see a flaw in your bullshit...i'll wait till the convoy of semi's driving through the whole in your stories passes and then i'll look further...
Look, you never post any links to support anything you say...
nada. zilch. nothing. zero.
You strictly are a philosopher...and a cheap one at that...
you might as well be riding around selling bottles out the back of a wagon...
Lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1080361 Feb 15, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>In Wisconsin there is a company called Putzmeister, one of the biggest concete pump manufacturers in the World. The company is based in Germany-these employees have had better wages and have moved up the ladder in pay faster than the union shops they came from. They keep more of their own money because they do not have to pay the union to support the liberals-not only that they control their own destiny with hard work. Many started on the floor and now are managers making over 80 thousand a year-in less than 5 years-see lily-people who work hard in the private sector can improve themselves, those working for the union will be in the same positions forever UNLESS they are politically connected. End of story.
Putztmeister.? Lol. That's galts real name
Tiger Town

Atlanta, GA

#1080362 Feb 15, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
Initially, this vast government support was justified on the grounds that “clean tech” was an infant industry that needed help to start competing with traditional energy sources. But we’re now years into shelling out tens of billions in taxpayer dollars — in return for little in innovation or self-sustaining jobs.
Today, each solar-energy megawatt is produced with a stunning $776 in investment- and production-tax credits. For wind power, it’s $56 a megawatt. That’s a huge public expenditure for not much energy production. The tax incentives for fossil fuels amount to a mere 64 cents per megawatt.
Worse, despite the public largess, some clean-tech companies have such flawed business models that they’ve already gone under. Solyndra, the solar-panel manufacturer that went belly up last year, left US taxpayers on the hook for half a billion dollars in unpaid loans. Among other costly bankruptcies was Beacon Power, an electricity-grid utility company that folded in October.
Bottom line: Oil and natural gas companies aren’t subsidized — they’re merely benefiting from the same, reasonable cost-of-operation deductions afforded to all kinds of industries.
The real subsidies — and the real scandal — are to be found in “renewable” energy, which has taken in tens of billions in direct government payments over the last few years but has little to show for it.
Yeah but y'all are overlooking the 3 trillion dollars you just spent protecting oil interests in Iraq. By comparison, there is no comparison. Y'all strike me as the sort of fellow who'll buy a $10 tie and then tell folks you either spent $3 or $15 on it.
Lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1080363 Feb 15, 2014
Tower Realty LLC wrote:
To the woman known as "carol:"
The check bounced. You need to call my office immediately.
Ari
Lol

Location hidden

#1080364 Feb 15, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>does it surprise you that human sexuality runs the gamut of all possibilities?
How do many Ph.Ds are awarded in human sexuality each year?
undergrad degrees?

that's where I'd start if you want to defend your position...

Location hidden

#1080365 Feb 15, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO at cnsnews, a div of Media Research Center created by L Brent Bozell III.
I guess you missed the discussion on this very thread just yesterday regarding that fraud and his lazy articles on just about every subject imaginable.
BTW that particular mud snail is a problematic invasive species in parts of the US and Europe.
Did the study exist?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1080366 Feb 15, 2014
positronium wrote:
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>It's funny seeing you reply to another good person with the exact same canned choreographed reply as you used on me.
Galt just assumed that the idiot was stoned and ignored the post.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Dr Guru 196,951
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 47 min Doug77 6,407
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr Red_Forman 1,347
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Agents of Corruption 54,501
How to get into the USA. 2 hr Great Song 2
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Uzi 70,158
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 4 hr boundary painter 1,719
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 hr Fahey Flynn 100,633
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages