Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1762206 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#1075813 Feb 7, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
No, raising the minimum wage 10% is not a 10% increase in labor costs & certainly is not a 10% raise in product cost as you inferred.
It's a 10% increase to everyone paying minimum wage. Are they so insignificant you can write them off? There will be more people hurt by an increase, than helped. What this is and always has been is an "ace in the hole" Democrats pull out their ass when nothing else works - or pre-existing scandals are getting too hot.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1075814 Feb 7, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Applause!!
yes...i was wondering when it becoame acceptable to interrupt the president of the United States of America?(let alone anyone....)

i think O'Reilly showed his true character there...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1075815 Feb 7, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Terri Schiavo wasn't on life support? What the hell do you think the feeding tube was dimwit? She was already dead! There was no brain activity! There was no chance that she would ever recover.
In a poll taken at the time 82% said that the President and Congress should have stayed out of the matter.
Don't you think it ironic that Bush couldn't be bothered to return to the White House in response to an imminent attack on American soil that cost over 3000 lives, but jumped on Air Force One to intervene in a private family issue?
I love you Dupont, you're just phenomenal!!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1075816 Feb 7, 2014
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Double applause! Off topix maybe, but where is Homer these days? I'm not here much but Homer hasn't gotten himself snowed in some where?
Not sure, he may have been on earlier in the week, He's not usually here on Thursdays!
Hope he's on vacation in sunny Florida or something! It's in the 80's here, sunny and gorgeous! How're you holding up in the snow? Does Lightening like it?

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#1075817 Feb 7, 2014
flack wrote:
You just can't make this stuff up!!!
Black residents oppose Trader Joes in Portland neighborhood, claim it would attract too many white people
Posted on 6 February, 2014 by sophia
Council of Conservative Citizens
Why is it considered perfectly normal for residents of a black neighborhood to want to keep their neighborhood black? If the races had been reversed, the media would be denouncing the Portland African American Leadership Forum as the Ku Klux Klan.
The Trader Joe’s grocery-store chain has dropped a plan to open a new store in the heart of the city’s historically African-American neighborhood after activists said the development would price black residents out of the area.
The grocer, whose stores are found in urban neighborhoods across the nation, said Monday it wouldn’t press its plan, given community resistance, The Oregonian reported.
Critics said the development would displace residents and perpetuate income inequality in one of the most rapidly gentrifying ZIP codes in the nation.
The Portland African American Leadership Forum said the development commission had in the past made promises about preventing projects from displacing community members but hadn’t fulfilled them.
It sent the city a letter saying it would “remain opposed to any development in N/NE Portland that does not primarily benefit the Black community.” It said the grocery-store development would “increase the desirability of the neighborhood,” for “non-oppressed populations.”
Mayor Charlie Hales and the urban renewal agency’s executive director, Patrick Quinton, signed a letter in January that described what they said was the commission’s contributions “to the destructive impact of gentrification and displacement on the African American community.”
Trader Joe’s is based in Monrovia, Calif. Its store would have been the anchor of a two-building development that included space for four to 10 shops and 100 parking spaces. A company owned by African-Americans in Portland had been slated to build it.
For More: http://topconservativenews.com/2014/02/black-...
of course you skew this to how you wish to see it, a black & white thing, when its really about social-economics. Gentification of poor neighborhoods results in loss of affordable housing for POOR people, be they blacck, white or purple. Yuppies come in all colors, the neighborhood housing goes up in price, and caters to middle to upper class. suitable substitute housing for the displaced poor is nil.

I'm not taking a side, just presenting the facts
el cid 777

Scranton, PA

#1075818 Feb 7, 2014
It is Friday, again! Time flies! The board on the computer that olds the
numbers and letters we press is called the "qwerty board" and I am
letting my fingers do my walking by using the qwerty board on the
computer. I do not know what to write; I usually don`t, because I do
not use notes to copy my thoughts down on paper. I have typed 5 lines
and I have said nothing, so far, except to tell you what the qwerty
board is. I usually write about war, religion and or politics. My computer is giving me problems; it is skippng letters I type and I have
to go back and type in the missing letter. Remember, on the old manual typewriters, when you made that mistake, you had to tear out
the paper and put in a new sheet and start all over? Do you remember
the large old ghetto blaster radios that you carried on your shoulder and
now they have the small ipod telephone or radio you carry in your hand? Well that is how the future is going to be in, for example, travel...
We have the now Boeing 777 airplanes, with their fossil fuel engines
and we are going to have nuclear airplanes and or flying saucers that
run on crystal power with the crystals under pressure and using the
earth`s magnetism to fly! We do not have that capability yet, but if
there are space aliens they do! It is all over the internet "we are not
alone"! Everything is going o.k. with me...The earth is going o.k., also...
I say that, because things are changing...The leaders on earth do not
have things under control, but the 99% do have things under control
and they are on the internet! I have said enough...Now I will "surf the
net"; to use antiquated terminology...i.e...supposedly , they do not say
surf the net, any more..Love, el cid 777
The Real Story

Belton, TX

#1075819 Feb 7, 2014
The 2.3% Medical Excise Tax that began on January 1st is supposed to

be "hidden" from the consumer, but it's been brought to the public's

attention

by hunting and fishing store Cabela's who have refused to hide it and are

showing it as a separate line item tax on their receipts, the email states.

I did some research and found directly from the IRS's website information

that PROVES this to be true and an accurate portrayal of something hidden

in Obamacare that I was not aware of! Now being skeptical of this I went

to

the IRS website and found this!

Q1. What is the medical device excise tax?

A1. Section 4191 of the Internal Revenue Code imposes an excise tax on the

sale of certain medical devices by the manufacturer or importer of the

device.

Q2. When does the tax go into effect?

A2. The tax applies to sales of taxable medical devices after Dec. 31,

Q3. How much is the tax?

A3. The tax is 2.3 percent of the sale price of the taxable medical

device. See Chapter 5 of IRS Publication 510, Excise Taxes, and Notice

2012-77 for additional information on the determination of sale price.

IRS.gov < http://irs.gov/> ; * Chapter

Five** http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch05.htm...

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch05.htm... *

*So being more curious I clicked on "Chapter 5Of IRS Publication 510." And

what do I find under "MEDICAL DEVICES" under "MANUFACTURERS TAXES"?The

following discussion of manufacturers taxes*

*Applies to the tax on:*

*Sport fishing equipment; Fishing rods and fishing poles; Electric outboard

motors; Fishing tackle boxes; Bows, quivers, broadheads, and points; Arrow

shafts; Coal; Taxable tires; Gas guzzler automobiles; and Vaccines.*

*I NEVER KNEW THAT A TIRE IS A MEDICAL DEVICE.*

IRS.gov < http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p510.pdf> ; *I think we have

definitely been fooled, if we believe that the Affordable Care Act is all

about health care. It Truly does appear to be nothing more than a bill

laden with a whole lot of taxes that we the people have yet to be

aware of.

Please pass this on. I am still incredulous that this can go on. Where is

our press? I guess it's just like Nancy Pelosi said...

We have to pass it to see what is in it. What is next What else is there

we do not know about? I am sick to death about our government..!!!!!!

*God help us bring this nation back to a land of freedom, and to have the

courage and commitment to do so.*

*Tip of the iceberg!! Also don't forget the 3.8% tax on unearned income

which includes profit from sale of homes, condos .....*

St. Croix valley

#1075820 Feb 7, 2014
M Stein wrote:
<quoted text>Hate to break it to you bozo, but...
"nonexistent death panels. We had false claims that the Affordable Care Act will cause the deficit to balloon. We had supposed horror stories about ordinary Americans facing huge rate increases, stories that collapsed under scrutiny."
These stores collapsed? Under whose scrutiny? Yours? Tell that to the cancer patients whose treatment has been disrupted and high risk maternity patients who are being told to travel to inferior hospitals hundreds of miles from home because no local and decent hospitals with good reputations are participating in ObamaCare exchanges.
your story has several plot holes in it...

most notably why did these supposed patients have to go to obamacare ecxchanges it they were currently recieving treatment. obviously they had coverage.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1075821 Feb 7, 2014
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure, he may have been on earlier in the week, He's not usually here on Thursdays!
Hope he's on vacation in sunny Florida or something! It's in the 80's here, sunny and gorgeous! How're you holding up in the snow? Does Lightening like it?
Uh! It's Friday.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1075822 Feb 7, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, the Bush tax cuts were across every income tax quintile. not just for the wealthy. and they also were for small business owners, not just large corporations or investors..
it is nice when we deal with facts....
facts. derived from the actual results.

Ten years later, the Bush tax cuts remain unfair, ineffective, and expensive

Tax policy should be designed to promote economic fairness by pushing against the trend of ever-widening income inequality. Instead, the Bush-era (2001–08) tax changes actually increased inequality by delivering more than half of their benefits in 2010 to the top 10 percent of earners, who make over $170,000 a year. In fact, 38 percent of the dollar benefits went to the top 1 percent of earners (tax filers making over $645,000), who received tax breaks averaging over $100,000.

Working families, however, got the scraps. The bottom 60 percent of earners (making under $70,000 a year) received less than 20 percent of the benefits of these tax changes in 2010. And the tax cuts for the wealthy never trickled down to middle-class families: Inflation-adjusted median weekly earnings fell by 2.3 percent during the economic expansion from 2001Q4 to 2007Q4. While real wages fell for most Americans, the top 1 percent of earners captured a whopping 65 percent of all income gains, leaving just 13 percent for the bottom 90 percent.

These tax changes were no better for the overall economy than they were for middle-class paychecks. Between the end of the 2001 recession and the eve of the Great Recession in late 2007, the U.S. economy experienced the weakest economic expansion of the postwar era. Growth in investment, gross domestic product, and employment all posted their worst performance of any postwar expansion. Unemployment never returned to pre-recession levels. Contrary to conservative rhetoric, cutting taxes is not an economic cure-all.

http://www.epi.org/publication/ten_years_late...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1075823 Feb 7, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
GOP Exaggerates 'Obamacare Victim' Story In State Of The Union Response
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/cathy-mcmorri...
just the usual.
the ObamaKKKare victim is paying $700 per month more for insurance and you thieves claim she should only be paying $500 per month extra.....

you people should run on that in November.....

the middle class will revolt against the welfare bums this year and throw you slimebag DemoKKKrats to the curb....
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1075824 Feb 7, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that's exactly what I think. Personal freedoms even applies to vices and bad choices.
Only you want to decide which personal freedom should be banned. Which is a very slippery slope.
The government has nothing to do with CVS' decision not to sell cigarettes. You, on the other hand want the government to control womens bodies. You want to take womens freedom away. When some pharmacist somewhere refused to fill a womans birth control pill prescription, because he didn't "approve" of birth control; you thought that was appropriate.
You also thought it appropriate for a pharmacist to refuse to fill the Morning After Pill.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1075825 Feb 7, 2014
More_ron wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, if you R Black.
true....welfare is the ultimate affirmative action program, given that working is just too difficult for those people......
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1075826 Feb 7, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Uh! It's Friday.
Yes I know that. I meant that he wasn't here yesterday as it was Thursday. Are you still stalking dem today?

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1075827 Feb 7, 2014
The posts are being removed at a good clip again today! Wonder who it is?

St. Croix valley

#1075828 Feb 7, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
facts. derived from the actual results.
Ten years later, the Bush tax cuts remain unfair, ineffective, and expensive
Tax policy should be designed to promote economic fairness by pushing against the trend of ever-widening income inequality. Instead, the Bush-era (2001–08) tax changes actually increased inequality by delivering more than half of their benefits in 2010 to the top 10 percent of earners, who make over $170,000 a year. In fact, 38 percent of the dollar benefits went to the top 1 percent of earners (tax filers making over $645,000), who received tax breaks averaging over $100,000.
Working families, however, got the scraps. The bottom 60 percent of earners (making under $70,000 a year) received less than 20 percent of the benefits of these tax changes in 2010. And the tax cuts for the wealthy never trickled down to middle-class families: Inflation-adjusted median weekly earnings fell by 2.3 percent during the economic expansion from 2001Q4 to 2007Q4. While real wages fell for most Americans, the top 1 percent of earners captured a whopping 65 percent of all income gains, leaving just 13 percent for the bottom 90 percent.
These tax changes were no better for the overall economy than they were for middle-class paychecks. Between the end of the 2001 recession and the eve of the Great Recession in late 2007, the U.S. economy experienced the weakest economic expansion of the postwar era. Growth in investment, gross domestic product, and employment all posted their worst performance of any postwar expansion. Unemployment never returned to pre-recession levels. Contrary to conservative rhetoric, cutting taxes is not an economic cure-all.
http://www.epi.org/publication/ten_years_late...
gee...when you earn more...you get to keep more..

you're breaking new ground there, DeGama.....

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1075829 Feb 7, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, so? That's still a far way from "rounding people up" and giving them donuts to vote nitwit. Only a complete idiot wouldn't know the difference.
It's a shame unions are a strong arm of your party instead of the other way around. Because if Democrats had to pay dues to fund my candidate's campaigns and had that kind of partisan manpower to round up Republicans so my candidate would get elected, surely it would seem fair to you. Is that a correct assumption?

Or do you know of any conservative unions that collect dues from Democrats and fund Republicans' campaigns and work for Republicans to get them elected using Democrats' money that I'm not aware of?

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#1075831 Feb 7, 2014
<<<<<<< << This is a model of a 12 week old fetus. If anybody can look at that picture and tell me it's not a baby then I have pity on you. Go ahead and kill your future. Doesn't matter to me!

St. Croix valley

#1075832 Feb 7, 2014
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>Double applause! Off topix maybe, but where is Homer these days? I'm not here much but Homer hasn't gotten himself snowed in some where?
last we heard, Homer was going off to check on some ladies singing by the shore...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1075833 Feb 7, 2014
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>

You're an idiot Carol!
scumbags like you who have worthless slacker parasite children feeding off the taxpayers shouldn't treat decent women so badly....

tell your crummy kid to get a real job, producing something of value...

oh, wait, you mooched off the taxpayers your entire life, so what would you know about work....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 2 hr The real Rudy 91
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 2 hr The real Rudy 109
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr TROPIX FARTS 64,682
Kennedy Lied and People Died and were enslaved. 7 hr Includes Bobby Ke... 31
Maddow exposed, Fusion paid her for fake news s... 8 hr Wimpy 2
Looking for a daddy 8 hr Blutto 4
News Aldermen seek to yank fascist Balbo's name from... 8 hr lol 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages