Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1566342 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074385 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
So if employers have already reduced employees' hours to part-time and the BLS says that the new jobs are predominantly part-time and the CBO says the ACA will reduce 2.5 million more full-time jobs to part-time, who is going to have enough money to pay higher premiums and more taxes?
lol! It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest you are and damn proud of it too!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074386 Feb 4, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
time to send the bureaucrats to the guillotine......
Well gee son. Just move to Somalia.

They've already taken care of that for you!

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1074387 Feb 4, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you are just parroting conservative media reports. I've attached the link to the full report....read it.
From the report:
"The share of people in the labor force who are unemployed has fallen in recent years but remains high. It fell to 7.0 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013 (and 6.7 percent in December) after having reached a peak of almost 10 percent in the fourth quarter of 2009."
"For 2014 to 2017, CBO anticipates that many of the people who left the labor force because of a lack of job opportunities will return as labor market conditions improve and that the number of people who stay out of the labor force (for example, to attend school) will
diminish."
"For 2014 to 2017, CBO anticipates that many of the people who left the labor force because of a lack of job opportunities will return as labor market conditions improve and that the number of people who stay out of the labor force (for example, to attend school) will
diminish."
"Under current law, CBO expects, nonfarm employment will increase by about 7 million from the end of 2013 to the end of 2017."
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofil...
These numbers won't add up if Obamacare doesn't float. So these projections only matter if it's a certainty the law will work. Right now, it's still struggling to get off the ground.

Again, straight from your article:

"The design of the subsidies — like many social safety-net programs — represent 'an implicit tax on additional work,' CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf said.

"The CBO attributed the decline in workforce participation primarily to this effect. But there were other, less important causes, too, including the likelihood that some employers will cut people’s hours, hire fewer workers or offer lower wages to new workers to avoid or compensate for a new fine on employers that fail to offer insurance to employees who work more than 30 hours a week."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/econom...

You have got to be kidding if you don't get the implications of this.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1074388 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
When your home is invaded or your life is threatened, they sure do.
My planned tactic of self defense is to sing at the top of my lungs When We All Get to Heaven or Love Lifted Me. They'd have to shoot me just to shut up. But at least it would be quick and over with.
Same thing in an attempted abduction. They'd have to go ahead and shoot or stab me before I'd get in a car with anyone. It just wouldn't happen - unless it was over my dead body. I figure I'm going to die someday anyway. So it would just happen a little sooner.
But if I had a gun, I'd just shoot them first.
We all think we would act a particular way if attacked but it doesn't usually go down how you would hope it would.

Orlando, FL

#1074389 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Obviously you believe in guessing instead of reading!!
You didn't read this:

"The design of the subsidies — like many social safety-net programs — represent 'an implicit tax on additional work,' CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf said.

"The CBO attributed the decline in workforce participation primarily to this effect. But there were other, less important causes, too, including the likelihood that some employers will cut people’s hours, hire fewer workers or offer lower wages to new workers to avoid or compensate for a new fine on employers that fail to offer insurance to employees who work more than 30 hours a week."

And you didn't read this:

"The CBO predicts that the economy will have the equivalent of 2.3 million fewer full-time workers by 2021 as a result of the law — nearly three times previous estimates."

This is not good news. Nothing else matters if more and more people aren't working full-time.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1074390 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing funny about the strong arm of the government abusing citizens' rights.
Or taking the Fifth to protect someone in power.
Bob Beckel said this was the most egregious scandal because he's worried about the shoe being on the other foot.
He has nothing to worry about because Republicans don't stoop that low.
The FBI investigations are still underway. You do know that, don't you? This president sure doesn't seem to. He's convinced it's all Fox's fault.
They're probably pleading the fifth because they're afraid that person in power might kill them if they don't do it.

Remember that woman who chose jail over testifying in the Whitewater scandal? I suspect she was terrified of the Clintons. I would have been too if I was in her position.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1074391 Feb 4, 2014
A 19-year-old Oregon woman who drove an SUV into a leaf pile, accidentally killing two young girls playing in it, has been taken into federal custody and may face deportation.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said on Monday that Cinthya Garcia-Cisneros is being placed in removal proceedings and will be held at a detention center in Tacoma while she awaits a bond hearing before an immigration judge.

"The immigration judge will determine whether or not Ms. Garcia-Cisneros remains in detention for the duration of her immigration case," ICE spokesman Andrew Munoz said in a statement.

Garcia-Cisneros was sentenced to three years of probation and 250 hours of community service on Friday. A jury found the woman guilty of two counts of felony hit-and-run earlier this month.

Prosecutors said the crash on Oct. 20 in Forest Grove, 25 miles west of Portland, was an accident. But they say the teen failed to come forward after learning she might have struck the children in the leaf pile, which was on the street. Police found her the following day.

Authorities said the two girls — later identified as stepsisters, 6-year-old Anna Dieter-Eckerdt and 11-year-old Abigail Robinson — were likely concealed by the leaves and not visible to Garcia-Cisneros.

Anna died at the scene. Abigail died later at a Portland hospital.

Minutes after Garcia-Cisneros drove through the leaves on her way home, her brother returned to the scene and saw a man standing over the pile, screaming. The man spoke to him briefly.

The boy went home and told his sister she may have hit two children.

Defense attorney Ethan Levi said Garcia-Cisneros was in a state of shock and denial after learning of the children and fixated on the possibility she wasn't the driver who struck them.

Garcia-Cisneros was brought to the U.S. from Mexico as a 4-year-old. She has temporary permission to be in the country legally under the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, meaning she has a work permit and a Social Security number.

To be eligible for the program, immigrants must prove they arrived in the United States before they turned 16, are under 31 years of age as of June 15, 2012, have been living in the country at least five years, are in school or graduated, and have not been convicted of certain crimes.

Those convicted of a felony offense and some other crimes are generally not eligible for the program.

It's unclear whether Garcia-Cisneros may be eligible for any other immigration benefits that could lead to relief from deportation. Immigration attorney Courtney Carter, who represents the teen, was not available for a comment.

Orlando, FL

#1074392 Feb 4, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>We all think we would act a particular way if attacked but it doesn't usually go down how you would hope it would.
True. But self-defense instructors have said simply screaming at the top of your lungs can make a potential attacker run - or screaming "Fire!" if neighbors are close enough to hear is a very good deterrent.

(They say screaming "fire" will create more attention and more 911 calls than screaming something like "rape" or "help".)

However, a gun is the best defense.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074393 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
These numbers won't add up if Obamacare doesn't float. So these projections only matter if it's a certainty the law will work. Right now, it's still struggling to get off the ground.
Again, straight from your article:
You have got to be kidding if you don't get the implications of this.
lol! You really ought to read son. But I still don't think you'll learn anything since that's a choice you make!!!

I love this comedy channel

"...The reduction in CBO’s projections of hours worked
represents a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent
workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about
2.5 million in 2024. Although CBO projects that total
employment (and compensation) will increase over the
coming decade, that increase will be smaller than it would
have been in the absence of the ACA. The decline in full-
time-equivalent employment stemming from the ACA
will consist of some people not being employed at all and
other people working fewer hours; however, CBO has not
tried to quantify those two components of the overall
effect. The estimated reduction stems almost entirely
from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers
choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in busi-
nesses’ demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely
as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours
worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise
rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more
workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemploy-
ment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to
work more hours per week)...."

Orlando, FL

#1074394 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! It never ceases to amaze me how dishonest you are and damn proud of it too!
Do you know how to research the Bureau of Labor and Statistics? The number of jobs created are mostly part-time. Employers are cutting back hours to part-time everywhere to avoid the costs of employer-based insurance because of the mandates under Obamacare. Why aren't you aware of this?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074395 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't read this:
And you didn't read this:
"The CBO predicts that the economy will have the equivalent of 2.3 million fewer full-time workers by 2021 as a result of the law — nearly three times previous estimates."
This is not good news. Nothing else matters if more and more people aren't working full-time.
lol!

"...The CBO predicts that the economy will have the equivalent of 2.3 million fewer full-time workers by 2021 as a result of the law..."

Why don't you find it in the CBO report and post it son?

Perhaps that's why I didn't read it and YOU did!

Orlando, FL

#1074396 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! You really ought to read son. But I still don't think you'll learn anything since that's a choice you make!!!
I love this comedy channel
"...The reduction in CBO’s projections of hours worked
represents a decline in the number of full-time-equivalent
workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about
2.5 million in 2024. Although CBO projects that total
employment (and compensation) will increase over the
coming decade, that increase will be smaller than it would
have been in the absence of the ACA. The decline in full-
time-equivalent employment stemming from the ACA
will consist of some people not being employed at all and
other people working fewer hours; however, CBO has not
tried to quantify those two components of the overall
effect. The estimated reduction stems almost entirely
from a net decline in the amount of labor that workers
choose to supply, rather than from a net drop in busi-
nesses’ demand for labor, so it will appear almost entirely
as a reduction in labor force participation and in hours
worked relative to what would have occurred otherwise
rather than as an increase in unemployment (that is, more
workers seeking but not finding jobs) or underemploy-
ment (such as part-time workers who would prefer to
work more hours per week)...."
Do you seriously not understand what this means?

But I'm done trying to help you understand it.

Orlando, FL

#1074397 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Oh wait!
Now you're claiming msm sites are.... legitimate?!?!?!
Holy turn arounds batman!!!
You just admitted they're only legitimate when they fall in line with your ongoing denial.

When they report things aren't as rosy in la-la land as you've been led to believe, you criticize the messenger for posting it.

Make up your mind. Which sources are the legitimate ones in your mind?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1074398 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know. Didn't mean to imply that. Just my own distaste for guns in the home. Even though I wish it wasn't that way - for the same reason you said - just in case.
when Katrina hit New Orleans, the police ran away and the citizens were left to defend themselves.....

a scenario likely to happen again....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074399 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know how to research the Bureau of Labor and Statistics? The number of jobs created are mostly part-time. Employers are cutting back hours to part-time everywhere to avoid the costs of employer-based insurance because of the mandates under Obamacare. Why aren't you aware of this?
Well, so now you're countering the CBO report you were just touting?

Do you even know how to read the article you're referencing? That assumes you can read son....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074400 Feb 4, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you seriously not understand what this means?
But I'm done trying to help you understand it.
It's clear you don't son.

You were never trying to help. You're just interpreting to meet your needs. You have no clue what you're talking about.

So now your dishonesty shows again and you run since duck, dodging and diverting no longer works.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1074401 Feb 4, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
when Katrina hit New Orleans, the police ran away and the citizens were left to defend themselves.....
And can see reich wing vigilantes swooping in to 'protect the people'... ie, steal, rob and kill.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1074402 Feb 4, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>no, any decent lawyer would have told her ot take the fifth and walk away. when you have powerful gov't people on a witch hunt, you will rarely win.
ask the guy who ran blackwater about that. they outright told him they had a bullseye on him. they tried to get him on any tax fraud they could find but there was none. he tool the good advice of getting out before they grind you into the ground...
so taking the fifth only shows she was smart enough to know just what these political witch hunts are all about...and it aint the truth ....
any decent lawyer would have told Lois Lerner not to make a statement under oath before taking the Fifth.....

Orlando, FL

#1074403 Feb 4, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably why gun sales have skyrocketed in the past five years. Preparing for government-created chaos.

Orlando, FL

#1074404 Feb 4, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It's clear you don't son.
You were never trying to help. You're just interpreting to meet your needs. You have no clue what you're talking about.
So now your dishonesty shows again and you run since duck, dodging and diverting no longer works.
You're simply too confused to understand or deliberately choose not to understand.

Either way, I'm done and you're on your own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 242,295
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr JoJo Gunne 11,027
Trump Just Sux 7 hr They cannot kill ... 95
Trump Twilight Zone 10 hr Slog 1
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 11 hr PRECC 3
That's all your good for God!!! 12 hr doG mnaDde lHyo i... 1
____ POPE & ISRAEL Agreement :: *7 YR TRIB ____ 12 hr tesr 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages