Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072869 Feb 1, 2014
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The shop owners make a profit & pay their employes you dumb f*ck.
many of their employees are family members, unpaid or sub-minimum wage, underage employees, no taxes paid.....

most make barely enough to survive on....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072871 Feb 1, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what RINO's and "moderates" get us? NOTHING! As soon as a conservative with balls enough to advocate closing the border, address Christian persecution, foreign and domestic, calls Muslims terrorists and vows to end the welfare state, we'll have a candidate that'll waltz into the White House.
focusing on taxes and wasteful government boondoggles like ObamaKKKare is sufficient....adding a religious crusade is counterproductive....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072873 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said it before and I'll say it again. As much as I hate taking sides with Christie, he has always said he didn't know about the closures "until AFTER the lanes were reopened." He said he didn't know about the lane closures until after they had been closed.
In the December 13th press conference, Christie answered, "Never, No", when asked John Reitmeyer if he knew about the closures as they were occurring. He reportedly said in that interview that he only first learned lanes were closed when it was reported by the press.
In the January 9th interview, Christie said,“I don’t know what else to say except to tell them that I had no knowledge of this — of the planning, the execution or anything about it — and that I first found out about it after it was over.”
"After it was over" didn't necessarily mean "after the lanes were reopened." It meant, "after the lanes were already closed." The more I read his statements, the more I am convinced that is what he said in the news conferences.
That doesn't mean I believe he didn't have prior knowledge. I certainly do. I just don't believe anything Wildstein has said proves that Christie has lied.
Christie never claimed that he didn't have knowledge of the closure “during the period when the lanes were closed”. Quite the opposite, he said he heard about the closures through media reports while they were happening. He said he was the man out there working the cones. If the lanes had already been reopened, there would not have been any "cones" to move. Right?
the Republican party moved on after your pet RINO kissed Obama on the beach....

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1072874 Feb 1, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
DemoKKKrats are the party of the welfare bums....
while tools like you continue the class warfare again st the rich....
the middle class have seen their medical insurance cancelled, premiums skyrocket, and the loss of their doctors and hospitals....and they will punish the DemoKKKrats in 2014......
That is where you are wrong. Yes, the Affordable Care Act has benefited those at the low and high ends of the income scale the most but very, very few in the middle have had their insurance cancelled without automatic re-enrollment, seen their premiums "skyrocket" or lost their doctors and hospitals.....very few.

It is reported that out of the 3,144 counties in the United States, the cheapest plans in only 170 of them exceeds what "experts" consider affordable (ie: 10 percent of annual income). Under the terms of the ACA, people who can prove that the least expensive plan in their area is not affordable, can buy catastrophic plans just like anyone under 30 is allowed to do.

Come 2016, people will have settled into the new insurance plans and be quite content. And those who had pre-existing conditions or who qualify for subsidies will be ecstatic and will crucify the Repugnants for their obstructionist tactics.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1072875 Feb 1, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Fck off you anti-American commiebastard. Could you afford his education? Where did he come up with the money, divine providence? In my estimation, it was a waste of good money, no matter who's it was. Obama is NOT smarter than I am. He's a half black scammer that's clean (slick) and articulate (smooth). Period.
Whoa, let's review__shall we?

Barack Obama is the President of the United States currently well into his second term having soundly whipped the best candidates the opposing party could muster.

MD Builder is a birther/conspiracy freak who has pizzed away over five years of his life talking about birth certificates, student transcripts, SS numbers and other crazy sht that only the weakest minds on the planet couldn't come to grips with.

And BTW__they've got these things called student loans.

Location hidden

#1072876 Feb 1, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Just where does the money come from to trickle up come from? All you are doing is stealing the money from those who earned to give to those that didn't. Trickle up is a scam perpetrated by feel good libtards!!!!
It comes from the taxes paid by those hard working Americans at the bottom end of the income ladder. Why should business owners and the wealthy be allowed to steal money from them to invest and become wealthier?

Location hidden

#1072878 Feb 1, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the Republican party moved on after your pet RINO kissed Obama on the beach....
LOL. Where were you when the November 29th polls showed Christie to be the Republican Presidential front runner with Rand Paul and Paul Ryan in distant second and third positions.
Seems you are on the outside looking in when it concerns your party. Must be frustrating to watch your party go down the tubes.

Location hidden

#1072881 Feb 1, 2014
I did not know it was Black History month until I saw Google's Homepage portrait of Harriet Tubman. It's good to have people like "ptbw" reminded of the Underground Railroad and the history that surrounds those advancements in American History.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1072884 Feb 1, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too. I can't bear shopping at WalMart. Or Dollar Stores.
It makes me feel like there's a whole section of America that we've resigned to living substandard lives so rich aholes like this Perkins moron who compares attacks on the wealthy to Hitler's treatment of the Jews.
----------
>>>>>The Wall Street Journal's editorial page has come out swinging in defense of Tom Perkins, the 82-year-old venture capitalist who compared what he called the persecution of the rich in America to the persecution of the Jews in Nazi Germany.
Perkins, who co-founded the firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers in the 1970s, made his explosive comments in a letter to the WSJ over the weekend. "I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich,' " he wrote.<<<<<
----------
The asshat has it exactly bass ackwards. We treat the poor like Hitler treated the Jews.
Every human who works is entitled to a living wage. I don't care if you're a parking lot attendant, security guard, warehouse worker, whatever.
Human dignity demands that people be treated with respect, not as pawns or labor units without dignity.
All religions agree on this point.
Any person who works hard, and many low wage jobs are really hard work. Every worker deserves to earn enough to survive without Gov't help.
Our whole system is completely out of whack. This happened in the 1930's, and saw an increase in the appeal of communism. If FDR hadn't handled the Depression properly,there might have been a revolution in America. You can only push the poor so far. This has been shown over and over in history.
Marie Antionette learned that lesson the hard way.
It seems that Perkins is suffering from dementia or something; wants attention. I liked the proposal from the Republican in CA regarding $12.00 minimum wage that would end subsidies; a couple can survive on $50,000. Pay people enough so that they can pay their bills and the subsidies are not necessary. He said that Walmart would only have to raise it's prices 1%; once; to accomplish this. Sounds like a win/win to me. His name is Ron Unz; I listened to his interview on NPR the other day; he makes a lot of sense.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/ron-unz-makes...
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1072885 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodtick57 is a self-serving, greedy, wealthy, egotistical prick that is just smart enough to realize that right wing teabaggers are hurting him politically and costing him money.
I don't expect him to agree with me and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me. I do demand respect, he's arrogant and demeaning so fck him. You give it a rest.
Calm down; he's the best conservative we've ever had on here. Keep the dialog going.
I like him. He's a little like Peppy, maybe he is Peppy!!

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1072886 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
It comes from the taxes paid by those hard working Americans at the bottom end of the income ladder. Why should business owners and the wealthy be allowed to steal money from them to invest and become wealthier?
Sheep dip!!!

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1072887 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
I did not know it was Black History month until I saw Google's Homepage portrait of Harriet Tubman. It's good to have people like "ptbw" reminded of the Underground Railroad and the history that surrounds those advancements in American History.
The other 11 are Non-black History months which is fitting.

Actually, black history week or day would be more appropriate.

How about Affirmative Action Day where blacks take their kids to their fake job for the day?

Or Welfare Day where blacks show off their free obamaphones, free rentals and have WIC Barbeques on the street?
sylheti guy

London, UK

#1072888 Feb 1, 2014
Obama obama obama obama is my brother and i love him
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1072889 Feb 1, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Scott currently trails Charlie Crist by a wide margin in a recent Q poll. Interestingly, as a builder/developer friendly Republican Crist helped bury Florida during the Bush inspired mortgage meltdown while Scott has ridden Obama's coat tails to a speedier recovery than most expected.
It could be a wild election year in Florida__with the discontent spilling over into other important races.
I haven't heard if Charlie is talking about the Medicaid expansion; that will be how he will win; although Scott did change his mind and was ready to do it but the R legislature blocked it.
Lots of things happen in an election year for sure. What is the wide margin? I thought I read 8%?
He also should restore felons rights to vote and move to end mandatory sentencing for drug crimes. It's enough of this prison state.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1072890 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
Tomorrow is Black Game Show Day.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ........
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1072891 Feb 1, 2014
Pere du Champ wrote:
Face it, Christie is dead in the water as a presidential candidate, and none of your Teaparty nuts has a chance of defeating Hillary Clinton. The GOP at this point has no moderate or even marginally electable candidates. Whachagonnado, run Romney again? LOL!!!
Rubio, Ryan, Paul, Cruz... COO COO!
Well, you never know....Romney won't run again for sure, Rubio or Ryan? Doubt it. Maybe they'll try Jeb Bush! They need the Hispanic vote and he's bilingual with a Mexican wife; he's pro immigration.
ptbw forever

Louisville, KY

#1072892 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodtick57 is a self-serving, greedy, wealthy, egotistical prick that is just smart enough to realize that right wing teabaggers are hurting him politically and costing him money.
I don't expect him to agree with me and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me. I do demand respect, he's arrogant and demeaning so fck him. You give it a rest.
An idiot like you demanding respect and calling someone else arrogant. LOL
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072893 Feb 1, 2014
Pere du Champ wrote:
Face it, Christie is dead in the water as a presidential candidate, and none of your Teaparty nuts has a chance of defeating Hillary Clinton. The GOP at this point has no moderate or even marginally electable candidates. Whachagonnado, run Romney again? LOL!!!
Rubio, Ryan, Paul, Cruz... COO COO!
Hillary...one more stroke from the nursing home....

besides, ObamaKKKare will destroy all DemoKKKrats...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072894 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is where you are wrong. Yes, the Affordable Care Act has benefited those at the low and high ends of the income scale the most but very, very few in the middle have had their insurance cancelled without automatic re-enrollment, seen their premiums "skyrocket" or lost their doctors and hospitals.....very few.
It is reported that out of the 3,144 counties in the United States, the cheapest plans in only 170 of them exceeds what "experts" consider affordable (ie: 10 percent of annual income). Under the terms of the ACA, people who can prove that the least expensive plan in their area is not affordable, can buy catastrophic plans just like anyone under 30 is allowed to do.
Come 2016, people will have settled into the new insurance plans and be quite content. And those who had pre-existing conditions or who qualify for subsidies will be ecstatic and will crucify the Repugnants for their obstructionist tactics.
anybody can still buy a catastrophic plan if they are willing to risk the tax....and that remains the best decision...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072895 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
those at "the bottom end of the income ladder" pay almost no federal income taxes....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Guru 187,313
Bubba's wife................Piano-Legs. 45 min Piano-leg murderer 4
Bill Clinton's Wife. 1 hr WHATS-HER-PLAN 5
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr ritedownthemiddle 52,854
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Cold Front 69,687
New Rapper Seven Dyce 5 hr UBANK RECORDS 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr texas pete 5,906
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]