Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1262119 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

michael wittman

Portland, OR

#1072937 Feb 1, 2014
if you like your Obama you can keep your Obama

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#1072938 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i do pay my fair share and really more...or at least i used to when i made a lot of money...
again, everyone gets the exact same amount of gov't, the fair share would really be our govt cost divided by adults. but you wouldn't even come close to being able to cover your cost...
fortunately, we have a very progressive tax system in the US. we do that as it works and gives us a viable tax base.
you can send me your welcome card anytime for paying your way for you...and your kids.
You've suggested you "earned" your wealth by running a business. Did you teach your employees how to read, write or any of the other job skills you benefited from?
They learned those things in schools my property taxes paid for.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1072939 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I'm bigger than you. I'm a Golden Gloves finalist, D1 college heavyweight boxing champ and have been in and won more fights than you've even seen. There's more but no one here but you cares about this irrelevant chest beating. And unless you're tougher than a 9mm who do you believe is scared by your bench press skills?
Take your nose out of the mirror and put it in a book, moron.
good advice...still waiting for that rational argument from you....
ptbw forever

Louisville, KY

#1072940 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>the far left and the far right are really not that different from each other...not really that different at all.
fortunately it is the sane people tah actually make this world tick...(intended...)
Again, I am the only person who is really part of the far right on this forum. The Conservative Christians and Libertarians on this thread are nowhere near extreme on anything.

As for not being all that different from the far left, I am pretty much everything they claim to be, so that pretty much means we couldn't be further apart .

Sane people have long since lost to the psychopaths of the 20th century, and that is why I am so far right at such a young age to create the balance again.

St. Croix valley

#1072941 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
You've suggested you "earned" your wealth by running a business. Did you teach your employees how to read, write or any of the other job skills you benefited from?
They learned those things in schools my property taxes paid for.
i paid more taxes for them...

and yes, in fact many of the kids i hired with no knowledge at all about the landscape business now run landscape design/install companies of their own.

when i was in the heavy equipment operations business, we took many untrained people and gave them lifelong job skills...

St. Croix valley

#1072942 Feb 1, 2014
well, many is a bit strong...many of them worked in the field as foreman sand such, three have their own companies...

i hired one of them to do work at our summer house the other year...that was so totally cool!

St. Croix valley

#1072943 Feb 1, 2014
ptbw forever wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I am the only person who is really part of the far right on this forum. The Conservative Christians and Libertarians on this thread are nowhere near extreme on anything.
As for not being all that different from the far left, I am pretty much everything they claim to be, so that pretty much means we couldn't be further apart .
Sane people have long since lost to the psychopaths of the 20th century, and that is why I am so far right at such a young age to create the balance again.
you seem to be as misinformed as to the political orientation of the commenters here as you are about our nation's secularism...

Location hidden

#1072944 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>i paid more taxes for them...
and yes, in fact many of the kids i hired with no knowledge at all about the landscape business now run landscape design/install companies of their own.
when i was in the heavy equipment operations business, we took many untrained people and gave them lifelong job skills...
Your ego is leading you astray. If the education system, paid for with property taxes, hadn't taught your future employees basic skills you wouldn't have been able to train them. You didn't pay proportionate property taxes to justify the benefit you received.
And since you made your wealth off the hard work of these untrained people that went on to work for themselves, I'd say you owe them as much as they owe you.
ptbw forever

Louisville, KY

#1072945 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yes, in fact ti was founded as a secular nation. what the hell are you talking about? the very first amendment to our constitution protects that..
facts are fun!
The 1st amendment has nothing to do with that, it was the 14th amendment that violated the agreement between the states and the federal government for colonies to keep their religions after the foundation of the country.

http://undergod.procon.org/view.resource.php...

Anybody who claims America was founded as a secular country is lying or stupid.
ptbw forever

Louisville, KY

#1072948 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all I'm bigger than you. I'm a Golden Gloves finalist, D1 college heavyweight boxing champ and have been in and won more fights than you've even seen. There's more but no one here but you cares about this irrelevant chest beating. And unless you're tougher than a 9mm who do you believe is scared by your bench press skills?
Take your nose out of the mirror and put it in a book, moron.
I could easily take you regardless of whether we are in the ring or on a debate floor.

You lefties are just a bunch of sick troublemakers that need someone to stand up to you.

St. Croix valley

#1072949 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
Your ego is leading you astray. If the education system, paid for with property taxes, hadn't taught your future employees basic skills you wouldn't have been able to train them. You didn't pay proportionate property taxes to justify the benefit you received.
And since you made your wealth off the hard work of these untrained people that went on to work for themselves, I'd say you owe them as much as they owe you.
man you are a freakin idiot! how are property taxes not proportional?!?

the more your property is worth, the more you pay!!!

you aren't up to this level of discussion, clearly. must be why you never earned enough to pay your own way...just too plain stupid. no education can fix that shit.

St. Croix valley

#1072950 Feb 1, 2014
ptbw forever wrote:
<quoted text>
The 1st amendment has nothing to do with that, it was the 14th amendment that violated the agreement between the states and the federal government for colonies to keep their religions after the foundation of the country.
http://undergod.procon.org/view.resource.php...
Anybody who claims America was founded as a secular country is lying or stupid.
ummm you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. the ist clearly states there is no state religion, thus a secular nation. that was from day one of this country.

you do realize that the s were not the US don't you? they were part of the british empire...you need to get at least to a third grade level of understanding of this issue before we go any further. like most people who think of themselves as far right, you don't even have the most basic understanding of your own nation or how it works...

what a crappy citizen you are.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072951 Feb 1, 2014
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
Crusade? Christians are pissed. They are particularly pissed at the government singling them out for, what appears to be, intentional belittlement and humiliation. If 'whomever' doesn't specifically address their concerns, a lot of potential votes will be lost. I don't think we can win unless all those issues are front and center. Something for everyone.
many Conservatives are not particularly religious are particularly disturbed by "born-again" fundamentalist Christian doctrine that conflicts with their view of Christianity.....besides, where are "Christian" voters going to go...to the DemoKKKrats???...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1072952 Feb 1, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. In your warped mind, anything that helps the poor advance in society screws the middle class. You are such a frightened little martyr.
News Flash: You can complain all you want and expect people to feel sorry for you but in reality, no one cares.
each middle class family forced to pay full tuition is paying for two students...their own plus a moocher....

Location hidden

#1072953 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>man you are a freakin idiot! how are property taxes not proportional?!?
the more your property is worth, the more you pay!!!
you aren't up to this level of discussion, clearly. must be why you never earned enough to pay your own way...just too plain stupid. no education can fix that shit.
You benefited from the education of all your employees, they used this education to earn money for you, not me. I'm almost certain I paid more property taxes than you and I didn't make a dime off these people. So, proportionately, you didn't pay your share.
You're a "freakin idiot" if you don't understand the logic of that.
And why would you assume I never earned enough to pay my own way? I'm obviously smarter than you, why wouldn't you expect me to have more wealth?

St. Croix valley

#1072954 Feb 1, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
each middle class family forced to pay full tuition is paying for two students...their own plus a moocher....
that's no way to talk about all the extraneous administrative deadweights in our educational system....

St. Croix valley

#1072955 Feb 1, 2014
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
many Conservatives are not particularly religious are particularly disturbed by "born-again" fundamentalist Christian doctrine that conflicts with their view of Christianity.....besides, where are "Christian" voters going to go...to the DemoKKKrats???...
obviously they do...in huge numbers, in fact.

but then most or the religious cult people don't even understand their own cult. they were just indoctrinated as kids and follow along like mindless sheep as that is what they think they are supposed to do to be good people...

St. Croix valley

#1072956 Feb 1, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
You benefited from the education of all your employees, they used this education to earn money for you, not me. I'm almost certain I paid more property taxes than you and I didn't make a dime off these people. So, proportionately, you didn't pay your share.
You're a "freakin idiot" if you don't understand the logic of that.
And why would you assume I never earned enough to pay my own way? I'm obviously smarter than you, why wouldn't you expect me to have more wealth?
smarter than me...that's a riot...you don't even understand how property taxes work.

you've never owned a business or created one single job. you are just a mooch looking to get other people's money cuz you failed at life.

St. Croix valley

#1072957 Feb 1, 2014
well, movie time...should give you all some time to get up to speed on these issues you don't seem to understand at all..

sheesh. like talking to second graders tonight...

the one about the colonies being the US was the best though....i'm gonna remeber that for quite a while. hee heh heee...

Location hidden

#1072958 Feb 1, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>smarter than me...that's a riot...you don't even understand how property taxes work.
you've never owned a business or created one single job. you are just a mooch looking to get other people's money cuz you failed at life.
Sorry, I can't dumb this down any further for you. In the future you should focus your attention on purging the Republican party of the psychos that are costing you elections. Your ad hominem attacks don't cover the stench of your self-serving greed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 min loose cannon 100,229
Amy 7-29-15 18 min RACE 3
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 38 min whatimeisit 1,700
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 39 min RJS 8,108
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 56 min whatimeisit 6,253
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr CDC 52,053
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 194,367
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages