Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1480143 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1071457 Jan 30, 2014
Ted Cruz Runs Against His Own Government Shutdown

The senator boldly claims he “didn’t try to shut down the government,” despite strategizing to do just that. Having satisfied the lunatic right, he’s trying to move back to the middle for 2016.

Sunday, on CBS’ Face the Nation, the junior senator from the State of Oblivion said—and I’m not making this up—“I didn’t threaten to shut down the government the last time. I don’t think we should ever shut down the government. I repeatedly voted… to fund the federal government.”

What? More than any other actor in last year’s budget debacle, Ted Cruz is responsible. Just a cursory glance at the record puts the lie to his blatant blame-shifting. Beginning with his “not-really-a-filibuster” publicity stunt, Cruz whipped up the national Tea Party base, emboldened House GOP radicals, and cowed the Republican leadership. After his Green Eggs and Ham soliloquy, sanity left the building and a shutdown was almost inevitable.

Even in the face of crushing poll numbers and Wall Street panic, his constant rants bolstered the Tea Party radicals’ resolve to force a budget Armageddon. In the midst of the maelstrom, he congratulated Tea Party wing nuts for their obstructionism, telling the Values Voters Summit,“It is because of you that the House of Representatives has been standing strong.”

Not content to simply sabotage sanity in the Senate, Cruz convened a semi-secret conclave of Tea Party House members to craft a counter-attack on to any potential Senate compromise. Imagine that—a junior senator directing strategy for the back-bench insurgents in the House—a strategy every Republican leader now admits was a political and economic disaster.

Does Ted Cruz really think he can get away with re-writing history? Despite having long ago plighted his troth to the lunatic right, he is certainly trying. But why?

Because, above all things he is the consummate ambitious opportunist. With Chris Christie’s 2016 juggernaut at least temporarily in the ditch, Cruz may see an opening. If he can re-invent himself as a moderate-sounding statesman who still owns the hearts of the Tea Party loyalists, he may think he has a winning coalition in the 2016 GOP presidential nominating sweepstakes.

Could this work? He knows he’s in a tough spot as a “Tea Party darling.” The country has soured on obstructionist politicians and the Tea Party in particular. Poll after poll reveals an angry American electorate, disgusted with the “just say no” agenda. Cruz is bound to catch a lot of this hell, personally.

Worse news for Cruz, the old guard is striking back. Establishment Republicans, congressional leaders, corporate CEO’s, Wall Street poobahs, the Chamber of Commerce and the whole panoply of GOP establishment business organizations have begun to counterattack.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01...

the new Mitt Romney.

that's going to work.
TheIndependentMa jority

Oneida, KY

#1071458 Jan 30, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had minimum wage jobs. I showed up for work every day. I did what I was paid to do. I became more valuable. I began to earn more than minimum wage.
That's how it's done.
Making a rule that employers have to pay more for the same product regardless of value is Marxist.
Suppose there is a company just teetering on the edge of solvency, maybe working with as little as a 5% profit margin. Forcing them to pay more for the same low-level no-skill work will cause them to go out of business, then nobody has a job.
That is what Marxism does, over and over and over again without exception.
Since you elaborated upon the scenerios....your point exudes a more RATIONAL validity.

Maybe our nation needs to roll in the direction of being based upon tenets MERITOCRACY moreso again..rather than commietic type SUCKUPocracy....Eh DB?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1071459 Jan 30, 2014
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>...set, match.
Now kneel for your laurels. ;)
I'm already sitting on them?
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1071460 Jan 30, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice they get all their info from YouTube videos? If it's a YouTube; it must be true;
'jes like the internets!!
She's living in fear of having to depend on a black nurses aide to change her shitty diaper!!
Paybacks a bytch!
Is that before or after they are stealing from your checkbook? It is cultural.
dem

United States

#1071461 Jan 30, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>Let's go over this again....

If someone is desperately trying to support their family, then they get a job and show up for work every day on time and do what they're paid to do when they're at work. Anyone who does this won't be making minimum wage after a year or two in the workforce, you moron.
The people you want to pay more aren't the people who are trying to support their families, dupe. They're lazy shitbags that choose to not do the things that make their value to the economy greater, idiot.
You're an idiot.

So, you don't want to be "poor". What can you do?
Fortunately, you live in the United States. All you have to do to avoid being "poor" is:
1) Don't drop out of school.
2) Don't have children before you're married.
3) Study while you're in school.
4) Get a job and show up for work every day on time.
5) Do what you're paid to do while you're at work.
6) Don't hang out with the worthless shitbags playing basketball at midnight and become a criminal.

If you do these things, you won't be poor and you'll enjoy the same American middle class living standard as everyone else who does the above. We have a Constitution that prohibits the government or any company from discriminating against you.

Suppose you made every mistake and wrong choice, then you grew up and started showing up for work every day on time and did what you're paid to do while you are at work?
There are enough Americans who did the above to create an economy where you can still get a job and work for a living and afford a place to live, food to eat, and a car.
Now, how wonderful of a place is that?
That is what the United States used to be before the Marxist communists running the Democratic Party started running our government.
Eat sh it you commie beitch.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1071462 Jan 30, 2014
Sarah Palin Disrespects President Obama with Jealous, Racist SOTU Rant

Sarah Palin was very busy last night. Too busy and important to watch the State of the Union, but she did catch it on her “truck radio” and she’s very concerned about that man in the White House. He’s arrogant and dangerously full of hubris. He dared to act like a President and use presidential powers. Something must be done!

......Arrogant Obama needs to stop acting like he was elected, stop using that executive power, which he uses much less than Bush, but Bush was President so… Obama needs to stop being so “arrogant” by acting like a president. It burns. The jealousy is palpable.

Many say Sarah Palin is a has-been and irrelevant, but she perfectly embodies the problems of the modern day GOP. She is all hot rage and vague fear tactics, lots of accusations steeped in not so veiled southern strategy and no solutions, and most troubling of all, there is zero consistency in the policy positions. You can’t fear monger about big government while you try to use the IRS to harass rape victims. Sarah Palin is all bitter Obama hate and nothing else. Just like the entire modern day Republican Party.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/01/29/sarah-...

Lapeer, MI

#1071463 Jan 30, 2014
Arte Z wrote:
<quoted text>You sound a little testy. Low on vodka?
Low on class, intelligence and tact, too.

Lapeer, MI

#1071465 Jan 30, 2014
Ray Donovan wrote:
An example of "extraordinary Americans" and "remarkable individuals" who were calculatingly chosen to sit with Michelle Obama during the SOTU...
A year and a half ago, Nick Chute started working at Punch Pizza as a cashier to help pay for school and rent. In December, Nick graduated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in philosophy. He is still with Punch Pizza, currently working as a "pizzaioli in training," learning to cook pizzas in the traditional Neapolitan style -- in an 800 degree wood-fired oven in under 90 seconds. Punch Pizza's decision to raise their company-wide minimum wage benefitted Nick, who said "I appreciate it, and it makes me feel like a bigger part of the company." After becoming a certified pizzaioli, Nick hopes to move into a management position at Punch Pizza.
Wow...philosopher to pizzaioli in training.
And the minimum wage increase has made him feel "like a bigger part of the company!" Remarkable! Extraordinary!
That's what the Magic Negro is all about; raising moocher's dignity using other people's money.

A Philosophy graduate who can make dough.

This is a joke, right, Mr. Azzhole-In-Chief?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1071466 Jan 30, 2014
Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum seemed to be caught by surprise when Fox News host Neil Cavuto tried to get him to agree with his negative assessment of Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers’(R-WA) response to Tuesday’s State of the Union address.

“I’m a fan of Cathy McMorris Rodgers, she’s a great congresswoman,” Santorum said, before Cavuto cut him off.

“She did a horrible job,” Cavuto said bluntly.“She did a horrible job, you know it. And she’s a wonderful person, but it was horrible.”

“Look, I don’t know anybody that does those well,” Santorum offered, a sentiment with which Cavuto did concur.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/29/neil-ca...

i concur.

Lapeer, MI

#1071467 Jan 30, 2014
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
All the 'tick does is regurgitate leftist talking points while lamely trying to disguise them as his own brilliant and original thoughts when in reality his only defense is calling people names.
If there is a Readers Digest for Leftists, the Little Insect must memorize each monthly issue.

Lapeer, MI

#1071468 Jan 30, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>It doesn't matter dumbazz__Fannie and Freddie didn't cause the mortgage meltdown or the financial crisis and barely even contributed to it.
One more time babe__you're much too uninformed on the subject to be taken seriously.
She offers evidence in the form of links and videos but realtime offers only Leftist regurgitated talking points w/accompanying insults.

Did you buy those Pressure Cookers yet?

BTW, did you know that Pete Seeger hung out with the OWS herd when they were shi tting on cars and raping women?

No Fool like an old Fool.

Lapeer, MI

#1071469 Jan 30, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>so cute...like 'daddy's little helper' washing the car with him and just spraying water everywhere with the hose...
yes you are daddy's little helper....what a good boy you are...
Are you running out of ammo again?

Look inside your pants.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1071470 Jan 30, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS from someone who goes to another country for her healthcare because she can't afford care in America. LMAO
See the difference between you and me is I am not a sick old bat on pharma for the rest of my life--I don't need 'health' care as you call it, I am healthy. You and your husband are sick people-cancer-pace makers, heart attacks--truly the type that will experience the death panels. I can hardly wait until the government cuts the pharma off in this country-William Ayers' dream of killing 25 million will be fulfilled. Bill Gates' dream of eugenics and 80 million dying will be fulfilled. No usm I don't go to the doctor at my other residence in Costa Rica--but if I ever did need to -I can afford to pay for it. Many Americans go there for surgeries and pay for it. It is called Medical tourism. Western medicine has enslaved the American people-they are no longer able to move around freely-they have to figure out where and when they are going to get their next fix of pharma.

Lapeer, MI

#1071471 Jan 30, 2014
flack wrote:
WASHINGTON (AP)— President Barack Obama promised to clear red tape away from highway projects that actually are stalled because there's no money for them, not because rules are in the way. He's ordering a higher minimum wage for a sliver of the workforce, which affects no one now and not many later.
Going it alone — without Congress making a law — just doesn't go as far as Obama made it sound at times Tuesday night in his State of the Union speech.
And when he talked about his health care law — a source of Obama misstatements in the past — he hit another fact bump.
A look at some of the facts and political circumstances behind his claims, along with a glance at the Republican response:
OBAMA: "Because of this (health care) law, no American can ever again be dropped or denied coverage for a preexisting condition like asthma, back pain or cancer. No woman can ever be charged more just because she's a woman. And we did all this while adding years to Medicare's finances, keeping Medicare premiums flat, and lowering prescription costs for millions of seniors."
THE FACTS: Some Medicare premiums have gone up, not stayed flat.
Republican Response to State of the UnionPlay videoRepublican Response to State of the Union
As Obama said, insurers can no longer turn people down because of medical problems, and they can't charge higher premiums to women because of their sex. The law also lowered costs for seniors with high prescription drug bills. But Medicare's monthly premium for outpatient care has gone up in recent years.
Although the basic premium remained the same this year at $104.90, it increased by $5 a month in 2013, up from $99.90 in 2012. Obama's health care law also raised Medicare premiums for upper-income beneficiaries, and both the president and Republicans have proposed to expand that.
Finally, the degree to which the health care law improved Medicare finances is hotly debated. On paper, the program's giant trust fund for inpatient care gained more than a decade of solvency because of cuts to service providers required under the health law. But in practice those savings cannot simultaneously be used to expand coverage for the uninsured and shore up Medicare.
___
OBAMA: "Today, after four years of economic growth, corporate profits and stock prices have rarely been higher, and those at the top have never done better. But average wages have barely budged. Inequality has deepened. Upward mobility has stalled."
THE FACTS: The most recent evidence suggests that mobility hasn't worsened. A team of economists led by Harvard's Raj Chetty released a study last week that found the United States isn't any less socially mobile than it was in the 1970s. Looking at children born between 1971 and 1993, the economists found that the odds of a child born in the poorest 20 percent of families making it into the top 20 percent hasn't changed.
"We find that children entering the labor market today have the same chances of moving up in the income distribution (relative to their parents) as children born in the 1970s," the authors said.
Still, other research has found that the United States isn't as mobile a society as most Americans would like to believe. In a study of 22 countries, economist Miles Corak of the University of Ottawa found that the United States ranked 15th in social mobility. Only Italy and Britain among wealthy countries ranked lower. By some measures, children in the United States are as likely to inherit their parents' economic status as their height.
___
The Liar Of The Year 2013 is now going for 2 years in a row!

Access Hollywood! Do you see this?

Prevented this

#1071472 Jan 30, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
Sarah Palin Disrespects President Obama with Jealous, Racist SOTU Rant
Sarah Palin was very busy last night. Too busy and important to watch the State of the Union, but she did catch it on her “truck radio” and she’s very concerned about that man in the White House. He’s arrogant and dangerously full of hubris. He dared to act like a President and use presidential powers. Something must be done!
......Arrogant Obama needs to stop acting like he was elected, stop using that executive power, which he uses much less than Bush, but Bush was President so… Obama needs to stop being so “arrogant” by acting like a president. It burns. The jealousy is palpable.
Many say Sarah Palin is a has-been and irrelevant, but she perfectly embodies the problems of the modern day GOP. She is all hot rage and vague fear tactics, lots of accusations steeped in not so veiled southern strategy and no solutions, and most troubling of all, there is zero consistency in the policy positions. You can’t fear monger about big government while you try to use the IRS to harass rape victims. Sarah Palin is all bitter Obama hate and nothing else. Just like the entire modern day Republican Party.
http://www.politicususa.com/2014/01/29/sarah-...
I don't many besides you that are in love with the moron. O'bama doesn't have the character, personality and charisma to move the nation to action, 2014 is more likely to be remembered as the year of inaction. He is untrusted, untalented and ineffective as Commander-in-Chief. He will be even worse as Dictator-in-Chief. I didn't see you post up the polls after the SOTU. You know the ones...
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1071473 Jan 30, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
She offers evidence in the form of links and videos but realtime offers only Leftist regurgitated talking points w/accompanying insults.
Did you buy those Pressure Cookers yet?
BTW, did you know that Pete Seeger hung out with the OWS herd when they were shi tting on cars and raping women?
No Fool like an old Fool.
She offers bullsht links and you tube nonsense GFY troll..
M Stein

Jamaica, NY

#1071474 Jan 30, 2014
MEDIA HYPOCRITES
Still Carrying Water for The One-- who in 2008 promised "The journey will be difficult. The road will be long. I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people. Because if we are willing to work for it, and fight for it, and believe in it, then I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation so that it may always reflect our very best selves, and our highest ideals."

What a joke.

Meanwhile, millions have lost or have more expensive insurance, the mideast is worse then ever, he's done nothing but contort into the downward dog position when dealing with Russia, Syria, Egypt and Iran. From what alternate universe does one have to hail from to acribe anything close to success to this administration, when speaking of foreign policy? While at home, millions have give up ever getting a job.

But, how many media stars have launched crusading reports packed with outrage over Obama's obvious failures? The major media might notice an occasional radical protester, but their heart is always clearly with the president's "surprising use of power" and their only disappointment has been that Tea Party protests were peaceful and orderly.

Instead of channeling Cindy Sheehan types, The New York Times worried on its front page this week that a quick departure from Afghanistan could cause a loss of bases for drone strikes.

On the domestic front, its "Political Memo" was headlined, "For Obama, Investing In Brighter Futures Remains a Tough Sell." That's their ludicrous terminology for more socialist "investment" in infrastructure and education bureaucrats (and perhaps presidentially dictated minimum wage hikes)-- "investing in brighter futures."

It's gotten so desperate to generate happy news on Obama's behalf that when Sen. Ted Cruz went on CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday to say, "Let me tell you something that is deeply concerning, the abuse of power from this administration," CBS sliced that criticism out of its program.

Putting the words "abuse of power" anywhere near Team Obama in a sentence is an invitation to censorship by our allegedly anti-autocracy "news" media who cannot recognize that we now have Emporer ZERO in the White House who golfs as the world burns.

Let's start calling the main stream media by its' correct name ... The Ministry of Propaganda.

The bias infected journalism over 50 years ago, and like cancer, has metastasized to its' present state where nothing can be believed!
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1071475 Jan 30, 2014
Signs the economy is on fire.

The US economy grew at 3.2% rate in Q4__consumer spending best in three years.

Stock market recovering after a lousy several days caused by unstable overseas markets and currency.

Prevented this

#1071477 Jan 30, 2014
harmonious wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore this:
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
" a female senior aide to President Obama called the White House a hostile environment for women.
“This place would be in court for a hostile workplace,” former White House communications director Anita Dunn is quoted as saying.“Because it actually fit all of the classic legal requirements for a genuinely hostile workplace to women.”"
Or refute it
that broad never refutes anything she puts up bull crap that came out of her own asz and types FACT--she is a joke all over the place, a femi nazi with a problem--she was/is a Hillary what difference at this point does it make--she figures she got cheated when the democrats voted for the black guy--democrats will vote for anyone but Hillary-they proved it in 2008.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1071478 Jan 30, 2014
At a luncheon for the Chamber of Commerce in Lexington, KY, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) floated the idea of capping government benefits for women who have children out of wedlock, the Lexington Herald-Leader reports.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/01/29/3...

big government eugenics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min District 1 234,069
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 27 min Interesting Times 62,898
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 49 min Ize Found 71,311
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 52 min SweLL GirL 10,072
Duck it and Duck you. 1 hr Quack Quack 1
Cong. John Lewis is a worthless black dem. hack... 4 hr NeedsANewHeadBashing 7
John Lewis is NOT a hero, he's an idiot who got... 16 hr NEEDS NEW BASHING 8

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages