Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1405650 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1070930 Jan 29, 2014
A snowstorm in the South is about as rare as a glass of unsweetened tea at a church supper. Folks around Birmingham, Ala. weren’t all that worried though. The storm was only supposed to dust the city – not even enough powder for a Southern snowman.
So when the first snowflakes began to fall, no one paid all that much attention. But then, the flakes kept falling. Before too long folks in places like Hoover and Inverness realized it was much more than a dusting. By that point, it was too late for anyone to do anything.
Icy interstates and highways soon became clogged with cars and trucks. Thousands of motorists soon found themselves stranded with nowhere to go – including many stuck on Highway 280.
Chick-fil-A had a captive crowd of hungry customers. So why did they give away their food?
But a good number of those stranded motorists were able to find shelter in the storm thanks to the kindness and generosity of Chick-fil-A restaurant employees and the restaurant's owner, Mark Meadows.
Once the snow started accumulating, Meadows closed the restaurant and sent his staff home. But a few hours later, many of them returned – unable to get to their homes.
“Our store is about a mile and a half from the interstate and it took me two hours to get there,” manager Audrey Pitt told me.“It was a parking lot as far as I could see.”
So Audrey left her car on the side of the interstate and joined a flock of bundled up drivers trudging through the snow.
“At one point there were more people walking than driving,” she said.
Some of the drivers had been stuck in their cars for nearly seven hours without any food or water. So the staff of the Chick-fil-A decided to lend a helping hand.
“We cooked several hundred sandwiches and stood out on both sides of 280 and handed out the sandwiches to anyone we could get to – as long as we had food to give out.”
The staffers braved the falling snow and ice, slipping and sliding, as they offered hot juicy chicken breasts tucked between two buttered buns. And Chick-fil-A refused to take a single penny for their sandwiches.
The meal was a gift – no strings attached.
For the frozen drivers, it was manna from heaven.
“They were very excited and extremely thankful,” she said.“People were thankful to get something to put in their stomachs.”
Audrey said they were especially surprised that the sandwiches were free. Why not make some extra money during the storm? It’s not like anyone could go to another restaurant. Chick-fil-A had a captive crowd of hungry customers. So why did they give away their food?
“This company is based on taking care of people and loving people before you’re worried about money or profit,” Audrey told me.“We were just trying to follow the model that we’ve all worked under for so long and the model that we’ve come to love. There was really nothing else we could have done but try to help people any way we could.”
Lauren Dango was one of those stranded motorists. She’s known Meadows for years and she was stunned when she saw him walking from car to car with Chick-fil-A sandwiches.
“I looked up and I’m like, what is he doing,” Dango told me.“He had a catering order and it got canceled, so he pulled over and started giving away food.”
And if that wasn’t enough, Meadows helped a driver maneuver along the icy road by pushing a car up an incline.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1070931 Jan 29, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS post from a kid who wants to take us back to pre-civil rights. LMAO
I met an Australian man yesterday who made negative comments about President Obama; saying "ugghh we have to watch this guy on tv again"; when I asked where he was from he said Australia; he went on to say the economy is booming in Australia, everything is better there and at least healthcare is free!!
I said, well, it's not free, everyone pays taxes to fund it; he said, yeah!
Really, someone should sue Fox for misinforming people to the point of idiocy. Another woman chimed in "yeah, it's more like Obama don't care"!! She looked like Honey Boo Boo's mother!
I meant to ask him why he left Australia in the first place.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1070932 Jan 29, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
President Obama's speech last night reminded me of something that one of New Jersey's most famous philosophers, Bruce Springsteen, once said:
"You can't have a United States if you are telling some folks that they can't get on the train."
That's what our President and our party are all about: Making sure that everyone can get on that train.
Cory Booker
Geesus keerist! How do you find your way to the liquor store, ladee?

"You can't have a United States if you are telling some folks that they can't get on the train."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....this is something you might hear in a grade school restroom.

You need class, babee. Get some.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1070933 Jan 29, 2014
Dango was so touched by Meadows’ kindness, she sent a letter to Chick-fil-A’s corporate headquarters.
“Kudos to Mark Meadows for not only preaching the "second mile" concept, but actually living by it,” she wrote.

It’s no secret that Chick-fil-A was founded by a Christian family. And it’s no secret that they run their business on biblical values. What happened in Birmingham is an example of how those biblical values are played out.

“We just wanted to be able to help,” Audrey said.“Yesterday was such a hopeless situation. We wanted to do something to make people feel a little bit better. We were here. We had food and there were people outside who needed food. So it just made sense to do something for them.”

But Chick-fil-A’s generosity didn’t stop there.

“We opened up our dining room to anyone who wanted to sleep on a bench or a booth,” Audrey told me.
And this morning, the weary staff members fired up their ovens and began preparing chicken biscuits. The only thing that is closed – is Chick-fil-A’s cash register.

“We’re not open for business,” she said.‘We’re just feeding people who are hungry.”

I’d say the Chick-fil-A team blessed a lot of people in Birmingham – but that’s not how Audrey sees it.
“It’s a blessing to us to be able to help people,” she said.“It really is.”

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,” Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew.“I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.”

It was a Sunday school lesson illustrated on a snowy winter day along Highway 280 in Alabama with a chicken sandwich and a side of waffle fries.

Todd Starnes is host of Fox News & Commentary, heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page, and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is "God Less America”.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1070934 Jan 29, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"John Galt"
"silly" watched. She was so excited seeing the boy spin his lies that pee was running down her leg.
Peace
RACIST
AND THAT WAS YOU PISSING YOURSELF AGAIN, THEY DON'T CHANGE THE RACISTS DIAPERS TILL THE END.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1070935 Jan 29, 2014
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand Homeland Security will be paying him a visit soon.
Muslim terrorists would love to "pay me a visit".

Don't worry, though. They have to start their sweeps before the election in 2016. I'll be seeing them then, along with a whole lot of other Americans.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1070936 Jan 29, 2014
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"John Galt"
"silly" watched. She was so excited seeing the boy spin his lies that pee was running down her leg.
Peace
was she demurring? what a tool you are..
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1070937 Jan 29, 2014
ptbw forever wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me break this down for you slowly so you can keep up. SAAAAMME SEEEEXXX MAAAARRRIAAAGE IIISSSS REEEEGAAARRRDEDDD TOOODAAAY AASS AAA CIIIVVVILLL RIIIGHTTTT BBYYY THHHE LEEEFFT WWIIITHHHOOOUTT AAANNNY THOUUGHTTT TOO THHHE CONNNTRAARRRY, BUUTT PROOOGRRRESSSIIIVESS IINN THHHE PAAASTT REEEJJECTEEDD THHHEEESE SUPPPPOOOSED COOMMOONN SEENSSE POOOSSITIONNNS EEEVEENNN THOOOUGH COOMMOONN SEENSSE WOOULDDD IMMPPLYY THAATT PEEEOPLLLE WHOO AAARRE SUPPPOOOSEDLLYY SOOO SSMMAARRT WOOULDDD GEETT AANN ISSUUUE SUPPPOOOSEDLLYY SOOO CUTTT AANNDD DRRYYY.
Either you are stupid for supporting issues that the great progressive brainchildren were against, or your movement was started by idiots. Take your pick.
Yup, meltdown in progress!!
Congrats Nucular; it doesn't take much to push these nutjobs over the edge.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#1070938 Jan 29, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
<sigh>
The critics have forgotten that the House passed a GSE reform bill in 2005 that could well have prevented the current crisis, says Mr Oxley, now vice-chairman of Nasdaq.
He fumes about the criticism of his House colleagues.“All the handwringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says.“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”
The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.
Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8780c35e-7e91-...
<sigh> but keep trying

HR 1461--a bill that was supposed to create a “world class regulator”--is in fact a world class failure. Not only does it fail to improve significantly upon the regulatory authority of the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO), but it actually increases the opportunities for Fannie and Freddie to exploit their subsidies in order to expand into other areas of residential finance. While the bill makes some modest improvements to the weak regulatory structure of OFHEO today, these improvements do not bring the authority of the new regulator of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to the level currently exercised by federal bank regulators. Moreover, the deficiencies of the bill so far outweigh its modest regulatory improvements that the taxpayers and the economy generally would be better off with current law. Under these circumstances, unless there is a reasonable chance that the bill can be strengthened on the House floor, in the Senate, or in conference, it does not deserve to proceed further in the legislative process

http://www.aei.org/papers/economics/hr-1461-a...

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1070939 Jan 29, 2014
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Hee, Hee.
Point?
...set, match.

Now kneel for your laurels. ;)

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1070940 Jan 29, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
To these nitwits, the new Pope is as bad as Obama.
Moron Ed is a proud Catholic, but refuses to talk about this new Pope, who is far too liberal for Sleazy Ed.
"nutsucker"
One more time you post without thinking. You do that often. I am proud to be a Catholic. To date the Pope has said nothing I disagree with. It bothers me not all that you are involved in a homosexual relationship?
Peace
KMA

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1070941 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yet my moniker is older than yours...
it is fun to watch you make such a fool of yourself...
you do it well. you actually amaze me with your stupidity. you can't even do basic math.
Your moniker is old, alright. Like dirt and dinosaur dung.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#1070942 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
No it's not; redneck is a term of endearment and you sickos love to call yourselves rednecks; there's nothing racist about it. There's no such thing as racism against whites you fuggn nutcase.
"silly"
According to Webster;
redneck - a member of the Southern rural laboring class.
You consider that definition a term of endearment?
Peace
KMA
ptbw forever

Georgetown, IN

#1070943 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't believe that 24 year old story for a minute.
I know, because 24 year old people are supposed to be too stoned, and too stupid from watching MTV to have political convictions that are actually grounded in the most solid principles.

I love how terrified I make you feel knowing there is a very intelligent and very passionate young person who vehemently opposes pretty much everything you have been taught to never question, and the best part is that you know your own children have absolutely no chance against me.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1070944 Jan 29, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>and here yo could have countered with some facts or cogent statement...yet all you gave me was that crap..
i think you clearly proved what you are...pathetic.
run along now...
So, I'm supposed to "counter" your insulting rant on Lois with cogent "facts" relevant to the thread topic? What a hoot.

Hypocrite.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1070945 Jan 29, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a video of excerpts from a 2004 Congressional hearing trying to rein in F&F.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search...

Notice who is defending it.
Is There an Antidote to the Republican Amnesia?

By Barney Frank

Memory eventually fails us all, but apparently the decline strikes one party far more than the other.

In recent weeks, my friends across the aisle have expended a lot of breath proclaiming that the Democrats caused the present financial crisis by failing to pass legislation to regulate financial services companies in the years 1995 through 2006.

There is only small one problem with this story -- throughout this entire period the Republicans were in complete charge of the House and for the most critical years they controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.

In the House of Representatives, the majority party has almost unlimited power over the minority party. The majority party owns the committee chairmanships; it controls what bills come to a vote; and it is under no obligation to consider the ideas of the beleaguered minority. When the Republicans were in the majority they ruled with an iron first; it is no accident that Tom DeLay was known as "The Hammer."

That is why I find it particularly flattering the Republicans now claim that in the years 1995 to 2006 I personally possessed supernatural powers which enabled me to force mighty Republican leaders to do my bidding. Choose your comic book hero -- I was all of them.

I wish I had the power to force the Republican leadership to do my bidding! If I had had that power, I would have used it to block the impeachment of Bill Clinton, to stop the war in Iraq, to prevent large tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and to stop government intervention into the private life of Terri Schiavo. Yet that power eluded me, and I was unable to stop those things.

According to the Republicans' misty memories of the period before 2007, I allegedly singlehandedly blocked their determined efforts to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and my supposed intransigence literally caused the worldwide financial crisis.

Fortunately, we have tools to aid memory -- pencil and paper, word processing, transcripts, newspapers, and the Congressional record. And as described in the most reputable published sources, in 2005 I in fact worked together with my Republican colleague Michael Oxley, then Chairman of the Financial Services Committee, to write a bill to increase regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. We passed the bill out of committee with an overwhelming majority -- every Democrat voted in favor of the legislation. However, on the House floor the Republican leadership added a poison pill amendment, which would have prevented non-profit institutions with religious affiliations from receiving funds. I voted against the legislation in protest, though I continued to work with Mr. Oxley to encourage the Senate to pass a good bill. But these efforts were defeated because President Bush blocked further consideration of the legislation. In the words of Mr. Oxley, no flaming liberal, the Bush administration gave his efforts 'the one-finger salute.'

Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/200...
Follow us:@RCP_Articles on Twitter
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070946 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
Yup, meltdown in progress!!
Congrats Nucular; it doesn't take much to push these nutjobs over the edge.
You sound a little testy. Low on vodka?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1070947 Jan 29, 2014
<quoted text>
I met an Australian man yesterday who made negative comments about President Obama; saying "ugghh we have to watch this guy on tv again"; when I asked where he was from he said Australia; he went on to say the economy is booming in Australia, everything is better there and at least healthcare is free!!
I said, well, it's not free, everyone pays taxes to fund it; he said, yeah!
Really, someone should sue Fox for misinforming people to the point of idiocy. Another woman chimed in "yeah, it's more like Obama don't care"!! She looked like Honey Boo Boo's mother!
I meant to ask him why he left Australia in the first place.
She probably was Honey Boo Boo's mother; her move to Boca has been in the news. Looks as if you'll have to share your Happy Hours with someone better informed than youself.
Arte Z

Jamaica, NY

#1070948 Jan 29, 2014
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Muslim terrorists would love to "pay me a visit".
Don't worry, though. They have to start their sweeps before the election in 2016. I'll be seeing them then, along with a whole lot of other Americans.
And IRS auditors in the New Obama America where crossing Dear Leader can get you arrested.

Take Dinesh D'Souza, for example. It seems obvious that he's been set up as this season's Benghazi video maker. There are gazillions of $20,000 campaign-finance infractions across America, but the only guy that's been singled out is the fellow who made a hit anti-Obama movie.

D'Souza is accused of contributing $20,000, more than the legal limit, to the Senate candidacy of his friend Wendy Long. The U.S. Attorney in New York announced a "zero tolerance" policy with regard to campaign finance, and D'Souza was arraigned in New York, handcuffed briefly, and

D'Souza's bail was set at $500,000 and he was released after promising that one financially responsible person would sign "a personal recognizance bond" within a week. The case was then adjourned until March 4. D'Souza spent six hours at the courthouse and was briefly handcuffed.

D'Souza, the filmmaker behind 2016: Obama's America, also must surrender his passport, adhere to pretrial supervision, make no new travel applications and restrict travel to the continental U.S. with prior approval.

D'Souza has pleaded not guilty. Of the $20,000 he gave to Wendy Long,$5,000 is entirely lawful under America's campaign-finance regime. So the "crime" is $15,000.

Yet, for 15 grand, a hitherto law-abiding citizen is put in handcuffs, cannot travel from New York to Boston without the permission of a federal judge, and has to post bail for half-a-million?

As The Blazenoted, that's considerably more than the bail set for various accused rapists, kidnappers and murderers. For a crime of 15,000 bucks.

The cuffs, the bail, the internal exile: Sick, sick, sick.

And Americans should be ashamed of themselves for putting up with it, presumably on the quaint belief that as long as they keep their heads down they're unlikely to catch the eye of their so-called "Justice" Department.

A fact on federal “justice:”
Those who do exercise their constitutional right to a defense receive three times as severe a sentence as those who plead guilty; 95 percent of cases are won by prosecutors, 90 percent of those without trial.

D'Souza has made his first mistake by having the impertinence to plead "not guilty". But it's not so difficult to picture him a year or three down the road belatedly copping a plea in return for only two years in jail instead of the 15-30 or whatever crackpot sentence each individual count commands.

And the rest of us will all learn an important lesson in what happens when your anti-Obama tract is too successful.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1070949 Jan 29, 2014
DOW heads south after Fed announces another $10 billion cut in buying.Down 205 at this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min Brian_G 60,666
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Dr Guru 219,717
Al Sharpton 1 hr AlisAPieceOfShyt 7
This is reason Pat Buchanan fired from CNN. 2 hr PJ all the way 1
Chicago has the Worst Women 5 hr Chiraq 40
What's the point of War 6 hr Anonymous 1
last post wins! (Apr '13) 8 hr They cannot kill ... 1,265
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 12 hr RACE 103,143

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages