Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1703463 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1066482 Jan 22, 2014
Homer wrote:
One thing Homer cannot abide by are people/laws trying to prevent Anericans from voting, too many people have died to preserve that right.
Not according to liberals. Let me get this straight: you were for fighting for freedom before you were against it.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1066483 Jan 22, 2014
$17 trillion in debt...
and...
50 million hungry folks on food stamps...
and we had to have this...
Study on traveling crickets...
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/kids/insects/story...
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1066484 Jan 22, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Our Constitution also ensured the federal government would have limited powers. So much for limited powers.
The right to vote is perhaps the most sacred right in a republic. It's not to be abused for political gain.
If the Founders were still living with the population having grown beyond their imaginations, they would have supported protecting this sacred right and avoiding its abuse in a heartbeat.
How many states were there when our constitution was penned babe__refresh my memory OK?

What would really amaze the "the founders" is that the constitution still exists. Actually, a couple of them would be amazed that the nation still exists.
Homer

Stroudsburg, PA

#1066485 Jan 22, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
"little distracted"????? "today"?????
"Are you kidding me???????"
LOL! Classic! Carol is queen of the airheads.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1066486 Jan 22, 2014
$17 trillion in debt...

50 gazillion Americans living in "food deserts'

and we had to have this...

from a while back...

$900,000 for a turtle tunnel!!!!!!

'...one of the best examples of government waste. About 10 years ago the DOT began expanding Rte.7 in Brookfield and discovered box turtles in the area, but rather than removing them to another area they built a “turtle tunnel”, which allowed the turtles to pass under the highway at the cost of about $900,000.'

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/12/17/an...
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1066487 Jan 22, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish yourself. Jarrett is the power behind the throne whether you want to believe it or not. She never leaves this president's side until he goes to bed or to the bathroom.
You're nuts__a died in the wool and exceptionally fragile Beckster.
Homer

Stroudsburg, PA

#1066488 Jan 22, 2014
flack wrote:
<quoted text> OOP!!!!
CAPITAL COMMERCE
Bush vs. Clinton: The Economic Verdict
By U.S. News Staff
April 18, 2007 RSS Feed Print
Capital Commerce hosted a compelling, no-holds-barred economics debate last week between financial pros and blogging greats Donald Luskin and Barry Ritholtz, which had the one downside of not letting me address the controversy that flared up over which economy has been superior–the Bush economy or the Clinton economy.
First, some context. When Bill Clinton became president in 1993, he was dealt the greatest hand since Phil Jackson became coach of the Chicago Bulls with probable future hall-of-famers Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen already on the team. The U.S. economy was already expanding, and the disintegration of the Soviet Union seemingly meant that defense spending could come down–which encouraged Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan to cut interest rates. Then Clinton got a Republican Congress in 1995 that was also eager to bring the budget into balance.
By contrast, Bush inherited an expansion that was on its last legs, and then he had to raise defense spending to deal with the biggest attack on America in its history–of course, neither Bush nor Congress has shown a whole lot of interest in controlling nondefense spending. Now, one way to statistically compare the two economic records is by looking at the Bush expansion vs. the Clinton expansion. And 21 quarters into each, the economy has grown 16.6 percent under Bush vs. 19.9 percent under Clinton–advantage No. 42. And the unemployment rate 22 quarters into each expansion–jobs numbers come out more frequently – show that the current unemployment rate is 4.4 percent vs. 4.5 percent under Clinton. Slight edge to No. 43. Now, when you add in–or subtract out–the effects of the stock market (for Clinton) and housing bubbles (for Bush) and where each president began, I think this ends up as a "pick 'em" situation at this point. Here is what White House spokesman Tony Fratto told the Washington Examiner last week:
"This is a much stronger expansion in a lot of ways. It's much deeper and more measured ... If you go back to this point in the Clinton expansion, they would have loved to have seen the numbers that we have right now.... On the unemployment rate, we're a full percentage point below where they were at the same point in the expansion–60 or 61 months in. They would have loved to have been at 4.4 percent. They were still up in the mid-5s, which is huge, when you think about it."
OK, let's use Fratto's methodology. I checked the employment data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and found that 60 months into the Clinton expansion, the unemployment rate was 4.7 percent vs. 4.5 percent for Bush. The last time the jobless rate was as high as 5.3 percent under Clinton was January 1997, 49 months into the Clinton expansion. Fratto and I went back and forth on the numbers and how to best date the expansions, but his bottom line–via E-mail–is this:
"The Clinton administration clearly benefited from an expansion that began well before the election and well before they ever passed a single piece of economic legislation. This administration was clearly hurt by being greeted with a recession and the implosion of the technology bubble – well before we ever passed any part of our economic policy."
But my bottom line is that neither Clinton nor Bush was or has been a game changer.(My friend Larry Kudlow has a great post on this topic here.) FDR was a game changer. Reagan was a game changer. I think to be a game changer today you have to 1) revamp America's social insurance program for the 21st-century challenges of globalization and changing demographics, and 2) reform America's creaky and complex tax system to better allow the nation to innovate and compete. Still waiting on those.
2007? lol Gee who was president in 2008? Flack stop embarrassing yourself.
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1066489 Jan 22, 2014
Lily Boca Raton FL wrote:
<quoted text>
Voter disenfranchisement and gerrymandering: this is the only way a Republican can win.
The Democrats know this and will get out and vote in huge numbers. There are more Democrats than Republicans in this country; people have to stop being complacent.
It's your vodka.
Homer

Stroudsburg, PA

#1066490 Jan 22, 2014
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure! Get one for your cars bumper that says "Idiot on board!".
Doubtful I would let you in my car.
Homer

Stroudsburg, PA

#1066491 Jan 22, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>Not according to liberals. Let me get this straight: you were for fighting for freedom before you were against it.
Liberals, conservative, Republicans/Democrats, I do not give a sh!t. I am against any effort that would ty and prevent Americans from voting.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1066492 Jan 22, 2014
what's the deal on Net Neutrality?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1066493 Jan 22, 2014
$17 trillion in debt...

50 million living in food deserts and suckling the food stamp teat...

and we cut these dead guys a check...

$10.6 million since 2008...

"...Since 2008, the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service has made $10.6 million in payments on behalf of 1,103 individuals who at the time had already been dead for more than a year."

Read more: http://www.610wtvn.com/articles/wtvn-news-hol...
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1066494 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes! Those scoundrels are busy every minute of every day trying to figure out how to steal elections.
I agree wholeheartedly; the Obama and Hillary supporters, such as you, are driven to do this type of thing.
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1066495 Jan 22, 2014
<quoted text>
Fox is not a news organization. You lose.
Lily prefers a definite non-news organization such as MSNBC, along with a heavy hit of liquor.
Lily Boca Raton FL

Boca Raton, FL

#1066496 Jan 22, 2014
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>I love it when efforts to suppress the vote are squashed. It's very patriotic. The right to vote is so important in this country and to try and stop people just disgusts me to no end.
Me too! Power to the people! Cold here in Sunny Florida today! Did you get that storm?
TSM

United States

#1066497 Jan 22, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish yourself. Jarrett is the power behind the throne whether you want to believe it or not. She never leaves this president's side until he goes to bed or to the bathroom.
You are correct! Jarrett is the Mastermind that pulls the Puppet Strings!!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1066498 Jan 22, 2014
$17 trillion in debt...

>>>>>>Stimul us checks to inmates<<<<<

$4.3 million to 17,000 inmates...

http://www.610wtvn.com/articles/wtvn-news-hol...

Since: May 11

New Oxford, PA

#1066499 Jan 22, 2014
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you better take your big GFY over to the Democ-RATS in my Democ-RAT state, libtard.
They have had voter ID for a long time, Moonbat.
Imbeecileeeeeee!
"First-time voters in CT are required to present identification. Valid identification includes photo ID that features voter's name and address or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows voter's name and address."

Now what? Since you were just proved to be a liar.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1066500 Jan 22, 2014
$17 trillion in debt...

and this Pork made it through.....

"That's the home of Rep. Lois Capps, D-Calif., who scored $50,000 in federal funding last month for a tattoo removal program in her district."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/01/11/feder...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1066501 Jan 22, 2014
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>CAIR Poll: More Than 85% of American Muslims Picked Obama
Nov 9, 2012
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) released the results of an informal exit poll on Friday that shows more than 85 percent of American Muslim voters picked President Barack Obama in Tuesday's election.
Really you want to bring Bush into this?
considering we weren't talking Obama, yes i do. and yes, i can.

By election day, Bush had been endorsed by eight major Muslim American organizations. He won more than 70 percent of the Muslim vote, including 46,200 ballots in Florida alone, prompting longtime conservative activist Grover Norquist -- one of the few prominent movement figures to caution against the current wave of mosque demagoguery -- to proclaim in the American Spectator that "Bush was elected President of the United States of America because of the Muslim vote."

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08...

and can you tell us if Obama has ever visited a Mosque?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SPOONS.............gime dem Spoons. 6 min Superlative Spoons 5
Florida shooter is White Nationalist scum 1 hr Librarian 8
Trump is A 1 hr Rose of Tralee 456
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Silly times 11,932
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 2,776
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 hr U_Nil_ Name 243,313
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 hr SAUCY FART 64,450

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages