Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1417665 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1060237 Jan 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>like i stated, they are better than the old ones... i never even came close to statind they were as efficient as CFLs, now did I?
yes there are opportunities to recycle them..look at the numbers sold and the numbers turned in. hell, we can 't even pass 40% on recycling glass and plastic bottles and all most people have o do is drag them out to the end of their driveways...
no, i am clearly talking facts. as always...
You're adopting the same lazy debate ethics of the nitwits you're doing a fine job of discrediting. LOL

You said:

""now we have that, incandescents that use far, far less energy than the old kind.""

I've noticed you use hyperbole to emphasize your points. Stick to facts. They use a bit less energy, not far, far less energy.

You followed the same path with your windmill discussion. Dismiss opposing views, overemphasize your own.

The point we should be making is why Americans don't adhere to recycling more. Many Americans are just too damned lazy and inconsiderate of their fellow citizens.

It's the libertatrian bullshit that each of us has no responsibility towards the other that creates this refusal to adhere to smart policies.

Americans need to get back to the mindset America had during WWII, when everything was recycled, from unused railroad tracks to rags, to glass, metal, rubber, whatever.

This excusing people rfrom recycling as if it's optional or forced on them by Gov't is stupid and not good for society overall.

Esp. in a world running out of resources.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1060238 Jan 11, 2014
Lnc wrote:
<quoted text>
The Nixon Shock was a series of economic measures taken by United States President Richard Nixon in 1971 including unilaterally canceling the direct convertibility of the United States dollar to gold. It helped end the existing Bretton Woods system of international financial exchange, ushering in the era of freely floating currencies that remains to the present day.
President Nixon Imposes Wage and Price Controls
August 15, 1971. In a move widely applauded by the public and a fair number of (but by no means all) economists, President Nixon imposed wage and price controls. The 90 day freeze was unprecedented in peacetime, but such drastic measures were thought necessary. Inflation had been raging, exceeding 6% briefly in 1970 and persisting above 4% in 1971. By the prevailing historical standards, such inflation rates were thought to be completely intolerable.
The 90 day freeze turned into nearly 1,000 days of measures known as Phases One, Two, Three, and Four. The initial attempt to dampen inflation by calming inflationary expectations was a monumental failure.
according to a PBS show I watched last night, Nixon started todays environmental movement.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060239 Jan 11, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
FOX is on the downside of the ratings. a trend that will only grow larger as nutjob is wearing thin.
so whos the new powerhouse?

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060240 Jan 11, 2014
During superstorm sandy, Christie was the new left wing hero. How quickly they turn.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1060241 Jan 11, 2014
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Stafford Act.
http://fpc.state.gov/documents/organization/5...
You might learn something.
Yeah, yeah, yeah and your stupid azz was all over the Jones Act too__remember doll.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong???
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1060248 Jan 11, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
you and rush...birds of a feather. Who knew?
nothin personal.
last place i worked when i left they gave me a giant wooden spoon.

so we do have that in common.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1060250 Jan 11, 2014
OBAMANATION wrote:
Iraqi ambassador slams Obama, praises Bush
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/...
not much of an insult.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1060251 Jan 11, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
this kind of abuse of power should not be tolerated by the people of NJ. But it really is their problem.
Not if Christie plans a national presence.

This is all well known to those who know Mr. Christie. His record as a Federal Prosecutor is excellent, but a review of it proves how willing he is to go after those who disagree with him.

he's a big bully, NJ style. His brash, loudmouth style plays well in NJ, but so did Jersey Shore!!

Imagine if Obama told a private citizen to "Shut up!", or publicly called them "Stupid!" for questioning something he did??

He had his State Gestapo force a reporter onto the stage with him so Christie could dress the man down and insult him!!

You want a man like that as President??

----------

""Chris Christie Goes On Attack Against Reporter At Press Conference""

""New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) got into a verbal confrontation with a local television news reporter Monday during questions about the governor's foreclosure policy during a press conference.

Christie, speaking in Long Branch, got into the confrontation when Jim Hoffer, an investigative reporter with WABC-TV in New York, asked questions following-up a Christie answer on foreclosure, according to video captured by PolitickerNJ.com . Hoffer had been suggesting that Christie's facts were not in order, which Christie disputed.

When Hoffer persisted, Christie tore into the reporter, who is not part of the Trenton press corps that regularly covers the Garden State leader. Hoffer and Christie both tried to talk over each other at one point.

“Don’t show up once in every blue moon and think you’re going to dominate my press conference," Christie said on the PolitickerNJ.com video. "Get your facts correct and ask. Thank you very much.”

The exchange with Hoffer is the latest in a string of confrontations between media members and Christie since he took office in 2010. In May 2010, he was captured on video telling a Star-Ledger columnist that he had a "thin-skin" during a Statehouse press conference.""

----------

And Christie says he's 'not a bully.

Sure. And Ted Cruz isn't Canadian!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1060253 Jan 11, 2014
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
so whos the new powerhouse?
hit one of the ratings sites and find out who's pulling the young folks. when they left FOX they had to go somewhere.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060256 Jan 11, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, yeah, yeah and your stupid azz was all over the Jones Act too__remember doll.
Do you ever get tired of being wrong???
will you just ask her out already?

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060259 Jan 11, 2014
dem wrote:
Let’s recount only some of the bullying we have as a country endured without sufficient consequences for the felons just since the last bit of shared prosperity we lost in 2000:
1. The theft of the 2000 election through intimidation. The Brooks Brothers riot halted the recount process and gave the Supreme Court the opportunity to illegally intervene in a state electoral decision; Gore himself was intimidated from asking for a full and complete recount. The press was also intimidated into not vetting a dangerously incompetent candidate with a long history of moral lapses and failure. He became President.
2. The acceptance of propaganda as media, made possible through consolidations, dark money, and federal acquiescence.
3. 9/11. It was the product of epic incompetence or malfeasance. No one was ever brought to justice for the complacent conduct prior to the attack due to the intimidating executive power of the out-of-control president. Bush demanded and was allowed to only testify at the same time as Dick Cheney before the oddly passive commission supposedly probing the disaster. The chain of neglect prior to the disaster was swept under the rug and the Patriot Act and other enabling laws allowed the Administration to jail or beat down its critics.
4. The Patriot Act
5. The suspension of habeas corpus,
6. Torture, unlimited incarceration
7. Extraordinary rendition
8. Universal suspension of the 4th Amendment transpired
9. Plamegate. Fair game, eh Rove?
10. The conduct of official business “off net” on commercial servers which allowed the administration to break laws in super-Nixonian ways, accidentally lose all the computers, and never suffer through the jail time that was called for in Rico and other statutes.
11. The whole lead-up to the epic human disaster of Iraq was the product of bullying, lying and intimidation abetted by the press.
dailykos....lol.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1060261 Jan 11, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>funny how your proven false god's first commandments all deal with his jealousy, insecurity and pettiness....
this is what happens when humans create gods, the gods end up with human frailties and imperfections...
So you hate Christians? Is there any other groups of people you hate? Blacks? Hillbillies? The sane?

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060262 Jan 11, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
last place i worked when i left they gave me a giant wooden spoon.
so we do have that in common.
were you bad?
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1060264 Jan 11, 2014
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
hit one of the ratings sites and find out who's pulling the young folks. when they left FOX they had to go somewhere.
So, you don't know?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1060265 Jan 11, 2014
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Gibberish__what's armed got to do with the price of p-nut butter. The Coast Guard was already in Louisiana__the U S Army Corp of Engineers was already in Louisiana. Ft Polk the U S Army Combat Training Center is about 230 to the West.
Face it doll Shrub fkd up and everyone seems to know it but you.
Atta boy Brownie___ROFLMAO
the failure in New Orleans was that the police ran away, leaving the city to the savages...

using combat troops against American civilians is a huge mistake....

except in a Fascist police state...

Since: May 11

New Oxford, PA

#1060266 Jan 11, 2014
Eman wrote:
During superstorm sandy, Christie was the new left wing hero. How quickly they turn.
Not at all. We were laughing at you people having a fit & trashing Christie for helping his people instead of playing politics.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1060268 Jan 11, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if Christie plans a national presence.
This is all well known to those who know Mr. Christie. His record as a Federal Prosecutor is excellent, but a review of it proves how willing he is to go after those who disagree with him.
he's a big bully, NJ style. His brash, loudmouth style plays well in NJ, but so did Jersey Shore!!
Imagine if Obama told a private citizen to "Shut up!", or publicly called them "Stupid!" for questioning something he did??
He had his State Gestapo force a reporter onto the stage with him so Christie could dress the man down and insult him!!
You want a man like that as President??
----------
""Chris Christie Goes On Attack Against Reporter At Press Conference""
""New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) got into a verbal confrontation with a local television news reporter Monday during questions about the governor's foreclosure policy during a press conference.
Christie, speaking in Long Branch, got into the confrontation when Jim Hoffer, an investigative reporter with WABC-TV in New York, asked questions following-up a Christie answer on foreclosure, according to video captured by PolitickerNJ.com . Hoffer had been suggesting that Christie's facts were not in order, which Christie disputed.
When Hoffer persisted, Christie tore into the reporter, who is not part of the Trenton press corps that regularly covers the Garden State leader. Hoffer and Christie both tried to talk over each other at one point.
“Don’t show up once in every blue moon and think you’re going to dominate my press conference," Christie said on the PolitickerNJ.com video. "Get your facts correct and ask. Thank you very much.”
The exchange with Hoffer is the latest in a string of confrontations between media members and Christie since he took office in 2010. In May 2010, he was captured on video telling a Star-Ledger columnist that he had a "thin-skin" during a Statehouse press conference.""
----------
And Christie says he's 'not a bully.
Sure. And Ted Cruz isn't Canadian!!
I don't see telling someone to "shut up" or calling someone "stupid" as being a bully. Rude...yes. I'm not saying Christie isn't a bulky (ha...i almost corrected that typo) I don't know enough about him.

we are never going to have a perfect politician, we have to weigh the good with the bad in any person. If he knowingly used his power to do this, the bad grossly out weighs the good in the guy.
Nostrilis Waxman

Windsor, CT

#1060269 Jan 11, 2014
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Woodtick.
The latest in a long line of normal folks who quickly saw the depraved sockpuppet you are and dealt with you accordingly.
Now you're all whiny about it, once again your stupidity and use of socks to protect yourself is out in the open for all to see.
You're not fooling anyone, Wazman, you never did.
You're a TOPIX Troll, the biggest one here, with a host of socks, all ignorant and hateful.
Wherever this woodtick came from, he/she has done a fine job of pointing out the nativism and stupidity of the Teabaggers on this thread.
And you're all going nuts since the arrival of woodtick.
Woodtick and NewYawk make a pretty good team, they turned SnottyRejection into a blubbering mass of foul racist jokes!!
WoodDick is nothing new or special. She is simply another mental case like you. Her and dem/ghost the sock as a team is nothing more than two failures in life, venting their frustrations and hoping for more handouts.

I do see some improvement in you lately though. Has your shrink put you on some new meds that seem to work better?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1060271 Jan 11, 2014
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
You're all over the wall on this.
Choose one:
1. Anyone who wants a job can find one thanks to Obama's recovery plan.
2. Almost a million Americans can't find work.
You continue to bounce back and forth between these two extremes.
the key phrase is "gave up looking for work"...

these people can find work despite Obama screwing up the economy, but have no incentive to do so given all the available welfare programs....

Obama economics on steroids....

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#1060273 Jan 11, 2014
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
So you hate Christians? Is there any other groups of people you hate? Blacks? Hillbillies? The sane?
what makes you think i hate them? they seem silly for following a proven false religious cult, especially one with such shitty morals, but hey, that is their choice

i do hate it when they try to insert their idiotic cult into the real world...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Grand Birther 222,343
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Go Blue Forever 103,437
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,448
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Ize Found 70,939
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 9,371
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 3,023
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 6,689

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages