Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1419839 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1050644 Dec 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
your faux outrage is amusing,
Joe Scarborough Slams Sean Hannity For Using Racism to Gin Up Ratings
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/22/joe-sc...
so up the ratings......who watches FOX?
I just realized who you used as a source. Politics, really sonic? That's right down there with the dailykos. If you continue to use these loony sources, I'm gonna start using wnd and breitbart.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1050645 Dec 31, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
You play the victim and the authority on black america ?
No, that would be Joan Walsh from Salon - she declared herself the white foremost authority on black americans.

LOL, You cannot make this stuff up?

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050646 Dec 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
here's an idea,,,,FO.
you folks who hate any who are different from yourselves just need others indiscretions to shield your own bigotry. though it seems you only do if for each others edification.
no one is buying. your complaints about others racism carry about as much weight as saying Obama isn't a US citizen. or that saying conservative economic policies work. or saying that Obamacare can still be repealed. or that the gays will never be equal. or...or...or.....no one is listening.
no wonder the nutjobs are so angry.
dude, calm down. No one hates you.
Homer

Stroudsburg, PA

#1050647 Dec 31, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>It's been explained to you over and over that Southern Democrats were conservatives. Your explanations to the contrary are pitiful.
Was Lester Maddox a liberal? progressive? Huey Long? George Wallace?
My Republican party hated those racist scumbags__Your Republican party admires them.
Your failure to grasp history is only surpassed by your failure to grasp math. Your geography sux too.
Carol and history: "That dog won't hunt." - Homer

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050648 Dec 31, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thing they are down there proving global warming huh. I mean the ice is melting, no wait they are frozen in by the ice.
Doesn't that prove global warming??? Maybe not .
What say you uSmsinceforever?
Antarctic ice is actually increasing. Its baffling the climate alarmists.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050649 Dec 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
In discussing how President Obama uses children to shield himself from criticism, I broke my own rule about leaving kids out of political debates. The children of public figures should be left on the sidelines. It was a stupid mistake and I apologize–and as a dad I should have known better.
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/art...
bravo. What a good guy.
LCNin

United States

#1050650 Dec 31, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well....no...but if it makes you happy to think that....
History doesn't make mention of liberal republicans either.
Depends on which history you read.

You might enjoy reading

---What_Hath_God_Wrought .
byDaniel Walker Howe
Oxford University Press,
USA, Oct 29, 2007

Peace - a brief summary below

The Oxford History of the United States is by far the most respected multi-volume history of our nation. In this Pulitzer prize-winning, critically acclaimed addition to the series, historian Daniel Walker Howe illuminates the period from the battle of New Orleans to the end of the Mexican-American War, an era when the United States expanded to the Pacific and won control over the richest part of the North American continent. Howe's panoramic narrative portrays revolutionary improvements in transportation and communications that accelerated the extension of the American empire. Railroads, canals, newspapers, and the telegraph dramatically lowered travel times and spurred the spread of information. These innovations prompted the emergence of mass political parties and stimulated America's economic development from an overwhelmingly rural country to a diversified economy in which commerce and industry took their place alongside agriculture. In his story, the author weaves together political and military events with social, economic, and cultural history. He examines the rise of Andrew Jackson and his Democratic party, but contends that John Quincy Adams and other Whigs--advocates of public education and economic integration, defenders of the rights of Indians, women, and African-Americans--were the true prophets of America's future. He reveals the power of religion to shape many aspects of American life during this period, including slavery and antislavery, women's rights and other reform movements, politics, education, and literature. Howe's story of American expansion culminates in the bitterly controversial but brilliantly executed war waged against Mexico to gain California and Texas for the United States.Winner of the New-York Historical Society American History Book PrizeFinalist, 2007 National Book Critics Circle Award for Nonfiction

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1050651 Dec 31, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
If i was posting for the present republican party
I might dwell on the 19th century.:-) Senator Goldwater voted against the civil rights act of 1964!
Funny you want Black voters to swing to the republican party but cavort with racists on the thread?
Christie in 2016
Peace
Senator Goldwater was FOR states' rights on every issue - including civil rights - and Senator Goldwater was very much FOR equal rights as well.

You 'cwazy wadicals' love to distort reality.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050652 Dec 31, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only you, a true-blue liberal, would think history is gibberish.
What part is gibberish, Realtime? The vote on the 19th Amendment? The vote on the abolition of slavery?
Sen. A.A. Sargent, a Republican from California, introduced the 19th Amendment in 1878.
In January 1878, Senator Sargent introduced the 29 words that would later become the 19th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, allowing women the right to vote.
Both chambers had a Democrat majority in 1914 and 1915 - where the 19th Amendment was rejected twice.
In 1918, Republicans controlled the House, Democrats the Senate. The Amendment was passed by the required two-thirds in the House. The proposal fell two votes short of passage in the Senate. Again, in 1919, it was again voted upon and failed by only one vote.
From March 4, 1919 to March 4, 1921, during the last two years of Woodrow Wilson's presidency, both chambers had a Republican majority. When the Republican Party regained control of Congress, the Equal Suffrage Amendment finally passed the House in May of that year and in the Senate in June.
This is actual history, Realtime. It doesn't fit into your perceived notions of what you want to believe about history, but it's still very much actual history.
"What part is gibberish, Realtime"

he's never going to answer that. He has the hots for you.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050653 Dec 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Fox News Host Geraldo Rivera tore into fellow Fox News personality Eric Bolling Monday over Bolling’s recent “slanderous” comments about whether the post-Benghazi investigations would be different if first daughters Sasha and Malia Obama had been killed in the attack.
http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/fox-news-...
who tf is bolling?
Peppy

Greensboro, NC

#1050654 Dec 31, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Bah the last time you felt empathy was when you hung that cat by it's tail from a tree.
I had just given him a bath and he needed to be dried out.

Did someone post earlier that you were looking for acorns? Cause I have a bunch of oak trees over here, but you better get to work. The squirrels are relentless. Must be a HARSH winter coming.

Hey did you read about the global warming nuts that got stuck in the ice? Apparently their investigations are not reaping what they want. They should be investigating in the Bahamas.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050655 Dec 31, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Fox News Host Geraldo Rivera tore into fellow Fox News personality Eric Bolling Monday over Bolling’s recent “slanderous” comments about whether the post-Benghazi investigations would be different if first daughters Sasha and Malia Obama had been killed in the attack.
http://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/fox-news-...
by, rivera is a fckn loon!
Peppy

Greensboro, NC

#1050656 Dec 31, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Carol and history: "That dog won't hunt." - Homer
Kind of like liberals and reality "fox watching over the chickens" - Peppy

Orlando, FL

#1050657 Dec 31, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Carol and history: "That dog won't hunt." - Homer
Guess I have a class of two now - you AND Realtime.

The difference between being a conservative in the south today and a southern racist Democrat before 1964 is the issue of equal rights for blacks.

Conservatism survived in the south because a lot of northerners migrated there after 1954 and because the good ole' racist southern democrats failed to keep blacks from having equal rights and became honorary members of the Democratic Party.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1050658 Dec 31, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>It's been explained to you over and over that Southern Democrats were conservatives. Your explanations to the contrary are pitiful.
Was Lester Maddox a liberal? progressive? Huey Long? George Wallace?
My Republican party hated those racist scumbags__Your Republican party admires them.
Your failure to grasp history is only surpassed by your failure to grasp math. Your geography sux too.
Shorter....

Lois, I told you those racist were Republicans...so shut up.

Orlando, FL

#1050659 Dec 31, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
"What part is gibberish, Realtime"
he's never going to answer that. He has the hots for you.
That's a weird thought. Not the part about him never answering my questions. But the other part.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050660 Dec 31, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad
I know. Who would use Geraldo Rivera as a source? Sad indeed.
Peppy

Greensboro, NC

#1050661 Dec 31, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
dude, calm down. No one hates you.
Well, you might have to exclude me, I hate everyone. But I mean that in a good christian way. God bless his heart.

Orlando, FL

#1050662 Dec 31, 2013
LCNin wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on which history you read.
You might enjoy reading
---What_Hath_God_Wrought .
byDaniel Walker Howe
Oxford University Press,
USA, Oct 29, 2007
Peace - a brief summary below
The Oxford History of the United States is by far the most respected multi-volume history of our nation. In this Pulitzer prize-winning, critically acclaimed addition to the series, historian Daniel Walker Howe illuminates the period from the battle of New Orleans to the end of the Mexican-American War, an era when the United States expanded to the Pacific and won control over the richest part of the North American continent. Howe's panoramic narrative portrays revolutionary improvements in transportation and communications that accelerated the extension of the American empire. Railroads, canals, newspapers, and the telegraph dramatically lowered travel times and spurred the spread of information. These innovations prompted the emergence of mass political parties and stimulated America's economic development from an overwhelmingly rural country to a diversified economy in which commerce and industry took their place alongside agriculture. In his story, the author weaves together political and military events with social, economic, and cultural history. He examines the rise of Andrew Jackson and his Democratic party, but contends that John Quincy Adams and other Whigs--advocates of public education and economic integration, defenders of the rights of Indians, women, and African-Americans--were the true prophets of America's future. He reveals the power of religion to shape many aspects of American life during this period, including slavery and antislavery, women's rights and other reform movements, politics, education, and literature. Howe's story of American expansion culminates in the bitterly controversial but brilliantly executed war waged against Mexico to gain California and Texas for the United States.Winner of the New-York Historical Society American History Book PrizeFinalist, 2007 National Book Critics Circle Award for Nonfiction
Well, actually I may have been too quick to say there weren't any conservative democrats. There were, indeed, a lot of democrats who voted right alongside republicans where equal and civil rights were concerned. Just not enough of them to pass any major legislation.

However, I've made mention of that fact numerous times - that not all democrats were southern racist democrats.

JFK, for example, was a conservative democrat. Today, he'd be considered a conservative republican.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1050663 Dec 31, 2013
Peppy wrote:
<quoted text>
I had just given him a bath and he needed to be dried out.
Did someone post earlier that you were looking for acorns? Cause I have a bunch of oak trees over here, but you better get to work. The squirrels are relentless. Must be a HARSH winter coming.
Hey did you read about the global warming nuts that got stuck in the ice? Apparently their investigations are not reaping what they want. They should be investigating in the Bahamas.
see, homer? This is funny sht. You used to be this funny until yer head got stuck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 49 min Jacques in Orlean... 222,692
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 52 min SweLL GirL 9,393
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 53 min TRD 70,961
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 1,944
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 3,047
abby8-29-16 2 hr RACE 1
Bubba's other career. 4 hr OUI No1stGent 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages