Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1433288 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1045587 Dec 20, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
not that many votes to be had from the birther crowd, so i don't think you'll see Hillary showing up at a birther rally that only has 12 nutjobs in attendance, but considering all the right wing voter suppression she's going to need every vote she can get.
so keep up the good work floriduh.
Speaking of Floriduh__the legislation can't produce much of the redistricting paperwork__seems it's been trashed. Not good in an open government state.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045588 Dec 20, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
That would Bashir and you not responding to what was stated.
ok.

no one has ever threatened to shit in my mother's mouth because she's not the world's biggest nutjob.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045589 Dec 20, 2013
RealDave wrote:
Religion does not justify bigotry.
Those that would drag out that excuse for Phil Roberson are just as bigoted as Robertson himself.
You are whining about someone calling a behavior a "sin" that is about as dumbass as you can get.

Religious freedom and speech in constitutionally protected-BOZO

You are intolerant of a belief different from your own which is the definition of being a BIGOT
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045590 Dec 20, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid Sonic thinks someone's memories of events 50 years ago is racist.
inept conclusion.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045591 Dec 20, 2013
Hey folks you cannot call anything a sin or wrong because you know bigotry or something according to Dave's illogic.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045593 Dec 20, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>RealDave always with allusive oblique remarks or making sly bigoted innuendoes...
Dumbass Dave pimping, always profiteering in bigotry, racism or hate...
It's the culture...
Nay, Dave is being a full out BIGOT-intolerant of a belief different from his own

He wants to censor what can be called sin or wrong.

Total moron.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045594 Dec 20, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
inept conclusion.
Meaning I hit the nail on the head and stupid commentary is all you have to defend with.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045595 Dec 20, 2013
When Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson opened his yap to GQ magazine, he probably didn’t anticipate the firestorm of controversy that would follow it.

He told Drew Magary:“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

While Robertson’s comments were immediately called out as homophobic and while some like Sarah Palin quickly jumped to his defense under the rubric of free speech, some viewers seemed surprised that their favorite cuddly Southern rednecks weren’t so cuddly after all.

That reaction was astutely mocked by Seth Rogen on Twitter, who wrote:“It's strange that A&E hired a guy for being a backwoods redneck and then were surprised when he started talking like a backwoods redneck.”

In other words: obvious thing is obvious.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12...
LCNLin

United States

#1045596 Dec 20, 2013
RealDave wrote:
Religion does not justify bigotry.
Those that would drag out that excuse for Phil Roberson are just as bigoted as Robertson himself.
Yes!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045597 Dec 20, 2013
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal got involved in the "Duck Dynasty" controversy Thursday by tweeting his response to A&E's decision to suspend Phil Robertson for his inflammatory remarks in a recent GQ interview.

"I remember when TV networks believed in the First Amendment," he wrote, adding, "it is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended."

The truth is it is a messed up situation when a governor rumored to have his sights on the presidency doesn't understand the breadth of the First Amendment.

The Federal Communications Commission did not send officials into the office of Nancy Dubuc, president of A&E Networks. The FBI did not threaten to put Robertson away, and the Internal Revenue Service didn't freeze his bank accounts.

This is what the First Amendment protects us from -- laws being made that restrict freedom of religion, the press and/or speech. It does not protect us from how society responds to the expression of one's religion, the press or speech.

Robertson's boss punished him for his remarks. The government didn't.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/opinion/grander...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045598 Dec 20, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize some of you right whiners agree with the use of racial slurs but using the term "boy" in reference to a blasck an is a racoa; slur.
You are such a dumbass.

Your side started this disrespecting of the POTUS with Bush by calling him boy.

It is political speech at this point.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1045600 Dec 20, 2013
Good morning fellow patriots, heroes of the Republic and of course you rightwingers, good morning to you as well.

Remember during this holiday season to shop at the locally owned stores, the small businesses, and stay away from the big box stores like Walmart.

Peace and joy come to you and to you your wassail too.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045601 Dec 20, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Meaning I hit the nail on the head and stupid commentary is all you have to defend with.
when did i say he was racist.

i live in backwoods country. i get it. i've seen it all of my life.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045602 Dec 20, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
When Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson opened his yap to GQ magazine, he probably didn’t anticipate the firestorm of controversy that would follow it.
He told Drew Magary:“Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
While Robertson’s comments were immediately called out as homophobic and while some like Sarah Palin quickly jumped to his defense under the rubric of free speech, some viewers seemed surprised that their favorite cuddly Southern rednecks weren’t so cuddly after all.
That reaction was astutely mocked by Seth Rogen on Twitter, who wrote:“It's strange that A&E hired a guy for being a backwoods redneck and then were surprised when he started talking like a backwoods redneck.”
In other words: obvious thing is obvious.
Yes they knew they hired a person with deep religious beliefs ....so your point?

You appear to be in search of a target.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045604 Dec 20, 2013
flack wrote:
Robertson Family Releases Statement On A&E Decision To Suspend Phil Robertson
The Robertson family has released a statement on its Duck Commander website regarding the A&E decision to suspend patriarch Phil Robertson in light of the comments he made to GQ.
"We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support. The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision. We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible.
"Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments:“Love the Lord your God with all your heart” and “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.
"We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. Again, thank you for your continued support of our family.
Robertson Family
IMO, A&E screwed the pooch!
A&E is in a world of hurt. They should have checked with their 'real' viewers before caving into GLAAD who are a total joke in their application of outrage.
el cid 777

Scranton, PA

#1045605 Dec 20, 2013
Hi! It is Friday again and so I am blogging again. This computer is not
working very good, so, I will not blog long...
Love, el cid 777
No Surprize

Largo, FL

#1045606 Dec 20, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize some of you right whiners agree with the use of racial slurs but using the term "boy" in reference to a blasck an is a racoa; slur.
Yes he said it.
Second, if you are blaming Obama for the employment situation starting from his election then you must think a President takes office that day.
And yes, he did say that.
Dumbass Dave always with allusive oblique remarks, making sly innuendoes or comments... Dumbass Dave pimping always selling out the black man in office profiteering in racism and hate...

It's the culture...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045607 Dec 20, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes they knew they hired a person with deep religious beliefs ....so your point?
You appear to be in search of a target.
you should have read the rest of it.

The scrubbed version of the Dynasty clan lets Americans, especially those who might not otherwise choose to spend their time with religious fundamentalists from the South, relate to the cast. We want a glimpse inside the lives of Guidos, hicks, or gold diggers, and we want to watch them perform for our amusement. But if the Guidos or hicks or gold-diggers behave in an unsavory way that make us feel offended and uncomfortable rather than smug and self-satisfied, we’d likely shut off the TV. And nobody—least not advertisers—can have that.

“It’s commerce,” says Tim Brooks, a former network executive and TV historian, the co-author of the book, Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946-Present.“If you want to do a TV show on a widely distributed network and get a big audience there are certain rules.”

Robert Galinsky, Founder of the New York Reality TV School who coaches and trains hopefuls for shows like Survivor, Project Runway and The Voice, says:“One hundred percent of the personalities are scrubbed in the editing room and it's never for our benefit, it's for the benefit of profit. The producers scrub, the director scrubs, the pawns—I mean cast members—scrub, but the ultimate scrub-a-dub-dubber are the show and network lawyers. They have the final say and they only care about protecting the value of the network brand and advertising brand relationships involved.”

....“The network themselves have Standards and Practices that they want to adhere to for a few reasons—mainly because of advertisers. Obviously, no one want to be seen as promoting racism and homophobia and advertisers don’t want to be associated with that,” says Nicole Page, an attorney with Reavis Parent Lehrer LLP who has advised on these issues with production companies and the people who appear on reality shows such as TLC’s Best Funeral Ever and North Woods Law on Animal Planet

“The other side of it is what kind of agreement the talent are required to sign when they are selected to appear on these shows?” she says.“The are extensive provisions that say you can’t do anything to offend the public’s morals or interfere with the show.”

In that sense, Robertson’s faux pas is quite serious.“This is so disastrous—this is the biggest show A&E has ever had,” says Page.

reality? you can find that in GQ but not on the show. so yes they knew, but they also knew that if the Ducks went nutjob crazy on the show it would have lasted about 5 minutes.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1045608 Dec 20, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
when did i say he was racist.
i live in backwoods country. i get it. i've seen it all of my life.
My mistake, I thought you knew what a group was protesting when you posted they were. As usual you are throwing mud at the wall and totally clueless about what it means.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1045609 Dec 20, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
A&E is in a world of hurt. They should have checked with their 'real' viewers before caving into GLAAD who are a total joke in their application of outrage.
total joke in application of outrage?

how about folks talking about how free speech is being ridden down by folks who are using the same to do it?

Phil can say whatever he wants and so can I.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr District 1 225,420
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr iamheaven18 61,510
last post wins! (Dec '10) 5 hr honeymylove 2,559
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 8 hr Wolverine33 9,546
Word (Dec '08) 8 hr PEllen 6,755
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 8 hr PEllen 3,198
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 8 hr PEllen 2,079
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr Go Blue Forever 103,641

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages