Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1583693 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044294 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
So you said something stupid that you cannot back up.
No big surprise.
lol! Well by golly! You're looking in the mirror again when you wrote that son!
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1044295 Dec 18, 2013
Homer wrote:
Group of normal people having a conversation about what ills the nation, backwood righwing hillbilly in the group: N**gers!
Sigh.
Uggghhh. too bad someone didn't shoot him

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#1044296 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to include ALL the media that said Cruz was filibustering Obamacare.
Yeah, it is logical to think the whole world is wrong but Dave is right.
What bill did Cruz filibuster? Why won't you answer that question?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#1044297 Dec 18, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>This analysis is flawed. Do some more research.
Black Unemployment Ticked Up to 13 Percent in August
The national unemployment rate dropped to 7.3 percent.

By Joyce Jones
Posted: 09/06/2013 08:30 AM EDT

The African-American unemployment rate for August rose to 13.3 percent from 12.6 percent in July, according to figures released by the U.S. Labor Department. The national unemployment rate fell slightly from 7.4 percent to 7.3 percent.

In addition, the economy added 169,000 jobs in August, a lower figure than the 178,000 jobs ADP in its monthly report on employment trends had estimated.

Heidi Shierholz, an economist at the Economic Policy Institute, cautioned against making too much of the hike in Black unemployment. The reality is that the dip from 13.7 percent to 12.6 percent in July was more of a false positive than reason to be optimistic. The numbers tend to be volatile month to month, she explained, because of the small sample pool of people used to determine the rate.

"I don't think the big drop last month represented an improvement the same way I don't think this partial reversal this month represents that dramatic of a deterioration," Shierholz said.

Lowering the rate of unemployment among African-Americans will depend in large part on policies implemented by the government to boost the economy, she added.

"Congress should step in and authorize fiscal expansion and stimulus to generate economic activity and create jobs. They could do that, they're choosing not to, so we're in this long slog," Shierholz said.

The Labor Department on Thursday reported that 323,000 first-time claims for unemployment benefits were filed last week, down by 9,000 from the week before — and the lowest level since January 2008.

"It is steady as she goes in the job market," says Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, which helps ADP prepare the monthly report. "There is little evidence that fiscal austerity and health care reform have had a significant impact on the job market."

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor disagrees. He believes the real reason the national unemployment rate is lower is that fewer people are looking for jobs because they've given up hope. He also warned that implementation of the Affordable Care Act will only exacerbate the situation.

"The unemployment rate is going down, but largely because so many folks have given up hope that they could find a job if they looked for one. Many working middle class Americans can’t find a job or are being forced to take part-time work because of the devastating effects of Obamacare," the Virginia Republican said, adding that the health care law "must be repealed or we will continue to witness depressed job growth."

In a statement the White House acknowledged that the overall unemployment rate is too high, but said since late 2009 it has been on a downward spiral.

"Over the last four years, we've cleared away the rubble from the financial crisis and begun to lay a new foundation for stronger, more durable economic growth," said Jason Furman, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers. "While continued solid job gains, today’s employment report is another sign of progress, the report also underscores the need to continue pursuing policies that move our economy forward and restore middle class security."
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044298 Dec 18, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
terminal OCD....
b-o-r-i-n-g......
lol! DBWriter has this affliction.

Gee, now that I think about it, so do nearly all the reich wingers here!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1044299 Dec 18, 2013
Emeem wrote:
The right wing whines ramp up as Obamacare becomes more successful every day. Yet we never hear the words, "We should replace Obamacare with ……".
...have the STATES that have uninsured take care of their UNINSURED.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044300 Dec 18, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Homer was too stunned to comment. Of course now she'll claim there is an 8th continent called the Middle East.
more accurately, Eurasia is a single continent...with divisions being cultural rather than geographical....
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1044301 Dec 18, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> And? You're so full of shit it pours out your ears. The life of black Americans has grown worse under your messiah.They voted for their demise
now you're doing what i'm always accused of doing. deflecting.

sorry,but it doesn't fly.

So why don’t blacks vote Republican? The answer is simple. Black people are not crazy. Being not crazy, they understand a simple truth about conservatives: They have never stood with, or up for, black people. Never.

Forget modern controversies like mass incarceration. Social conservatives, then based largely in the Democratic Party of the early to mid 20th century, opposed the Voting Rights Act. They opposed the Civil Rights Act. They opposed school integration. They opposed the Montgomery Bus Boycott. They opposed a law to crack down on lynching.

These are the people for whom African Americans are now supposed to vote? To make the argument is to betray a stunning contempt for the intelligence — and memory — of black voters.

In talking about race, conservatives have all the moral authority of a pimp talking about women’s rights. Granted,“their” blacks might disagree.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/05/2487580...

and btw.....MLK voted for LBJ.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044302 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Why wasn't Obama the first person to sign up for Obamacare? Why hasn't he signed up, if it's such a great deal?
lol! Why wasn't bushie boy the first man into iraq when he invaded them son?

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#1044303 Dec 18, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
What a spineless little feminine weasel. You were and are wrong.
Cruz was filibustering the UCA. "Nobody" said he was filibustering the "original" bill.
Somehow in your contorted brain, you made it out to be that way just so you could "be right".
Everyone here knows your M.O., weasel.
Take a hike, dummy.
What bill did Cruz filibuster?

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1044304 Dec 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
from your source....
....the rise in disagreement may be a result of increased funding of sceptics by fossil fuel industries, conservative foundations and think tanks ....
http://oss.sagepub.com/content/33/11/1477.ful...
here's my source

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/...

now more from that source

"The survey results show geoscientists (also known as earth scientists) and engineers hold similar views as meteorologists. Two recent surveys of meteorologists (summarized here and here) revealed similar skepticism of alarmist global warming claims"
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044305 Dec 18, 2013
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
RealDave ….Which plan do you prefer ACA or Obamacare?
why does texass hate women son?
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1044306 Dec 18, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, if nothing else; you are definitely entertaining.
Once again you got nothing.

lily pulls a lily
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044307 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only do most liberals' misled blind loyalties make me want to puke but they cause my head to explode almost on a daily basis...figuratively speaking.
Good morning, LCN.
lol! My diagnosis is it's your blind hate that's making you sick son!
YouAncestry

Aurora, OH

#1044308 Dec 18, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, here we go. MLK a republican, Hitler a Communist. blah blah blah
So, is Huckabee going to run again? He'll have to lose that 100 lbs again; bummer.
This is my favorite photo of him; the wife is strangling the dog, I guess that's where the son got his idea to skin and hang that dog:
http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/ma...
Or, how about Chris Christie:
http://cbsfwbam.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/c...
and here you and yours

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044309 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Galt, you are OCDing.
lol! Line up the reich wingers to make that claim son!
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044310 Dec 18, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Progressives have become a confused lot. Liberals had a set of principals they operated from-Progressives it all about promoting the goal.
I don't think one of them know what this goal is.
lol! Reich wingers have no principles.

They've given it up for politics!

And right at the fore is their hate for those who don't think like them!
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1044311 Dec 18, 2013
Vets lose benefits and Baxter the dog gets insurance!

'AIN’T NOTHING BUT A HOUND DOG: Colorado’s $20 million Obamacare campaign, which features an Elvis impersonator, has signed up fewer than 4,000 enrollees including one dog named Baxter'

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/12/17/tom-cobu...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1044312 Dec 18, 2013
The conservative group Ending Spending may have premiered the ad that nationalizes the 2014 midterm elections around Obamacare.

The 30-second killer ad was produced by Republican media consultant Larry McCarthy and goes after Jeanne Shaheen, the first-term Democratic Senator from New Hampshire who is likely to face former GOP Senator Scott Brown next year.

The ad begins with footage of Shaheen on the Senate floor echoing President Obama by saying,“if you like your insurance you can keep it.” An overlay graphic points out that Obama was given the “Lie of the Year” award from a fact-checking group for that whopper.

The ad then shifts to a local focus: It notes 20,000 people in New Hampshire have lost their insurance to date and that Obamacare exchanges offer only a single provider on the state’s individual market.

The ad ends with a zinger sign-off:“Next November, if you like your senator, you can keep her. If not, you know what to do.”
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1044313 Dec 18, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
The more people on welfare, the more votes. Reid's simple strategy. Nevermind who has to pay for it.
And the way reich wingers address this perceived problem is... nothing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 28 min Rose of Tralee 105,240
Trump Just Sux 2 hr Strawberry 132
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr John 242,545
last post wins! (Apr '13) 4 hr honeymylove 2,614
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr RACE 11,183
Trump Speaks Differently to Different Crowds ju... 5 hr Go Away 1
m0n$t3r$ und3r my b3d la. 6 hr EON 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages