Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1403877 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1038435 Dec 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Sen. Ted Cruz defied critics angry that he eulogized Nelson Mandela and left for South Africa today as part of a 23 member congressional delegation going to honor the former South African president and anti-apartheid hero.
“He endured decades of imprisonment and steadfastly continued his fight for equality. And, when justice prevailed in his battle against apartheid, and Mandela was elected president of his nation, he nobly chose reconciliation instead of retribution — a legacy for which he will be remembered forever,” Cruz, R-Texas, said.
Cruz’s press secretary, Catherine Frazier, also rejected the arguments of those who criticized Cruz for lauding Mandela.
“Mr. Mandela deserves to be remembered and honored for his sacrifices in pursuit of freedom for the oppressed and his historic achievements to that end,” Frazier said.
Rep. Aaron Schock, the Republican congressman who was tapped by Speaker John Boehner to lead the delegation to South Africa, has also been met with social media heat for eulogizing Mandela as “the George Washington of our time.”
In response to the Illinois congressman’s tweet, twitter user Mark Christopher said,[email protected] @NelsonMandela George Washington? He was a communist…. Not the devil, but GW?”
Perhaps the staunchest defense of praising Mandela came from former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
On Friday, Gingrich wrote a scathing criticism of Mandela’s opponents among his fellow GOP members, and suggested that Tea Party types share Mandela’s values, even his violent resistance against apartheid.
“Some of the people who are most opposed to oppression from Washington attack Mandela when he was opposed to oppression in his own country,” Gingrich wrote.
The former Speaker of the House continued to speak out against Mandela critics, sighting examples of historic American leaders fighting against oppression, sometimes with force.
“As Americans we celebrate the farmers at Lexington and Concord who used force to oppose British tyranny,” Gingrich noted.“We praise George Washington for spending eight years in the field fighting the British Army’s dictatorial assault on our freedom.”
“Patrick Henry said,‘Give me liberty or give me death,’” he added.
Republicans aren’t the only ones being met with criticism for honoring Nelson Mandela.
The White House posted a video to Facebook of the president speaking about the anti-apartheid leader’s passing, and quoted Obama saying,“He no longer belongs to us—he belongs to the ages.” The Facebook post received 4,085 likes, and 700 comments, many of which were critical of the president and his eulogizing of the South African leader.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/12/...
the racists are not happy.
hey racists! tuff shit! the minority can whine all it wants, but since you're the minority....no one cares. even your own are declaring your ignorance. how's it feel to have someone like Cruz remind you that you're a dumb redneck hick?
Martin Bashir
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1038436 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that he was surprised; but perhaps he has now finally opened his eyes to the rabid right wing white supremacist fringe that has become so hyper partisan that it's like the cold war.
Here is a bit of information I found at about the underbelly of Progressive movement.

Progressive was first used when the Communist was wanting to run a candidate against Truman and knew Communist Party probably wouldn't work.

Hey, lily, do you wear your Harris-Perry tampon earrings when you spout off her brain dead mantras?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1038437 Dec 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i've got no comment for those who think that Obama hasn't down enough for blacks while they go on about Obama giving the black folks whatever they want so they'll vote for him.
so you can see why people think you're a conflicted nutjob.
what does your 'injun' part have to say about this situation?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1038438 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning Homer!
JOHANNESBURG (AP)— President Barack Obama has shaken hands with Cuban President Raul Castro at a memorial service for former South African President Nelson Mandela.
The handshake between the leaders of the two Cold War enemies came during a ceremony that's focused on Mandela's legacy of reconciliation. Obama was greeting a line of world leaders and heads of state attending the memorial in Johannesburg. He also shook hands with Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, who has clashed with Obama over alleged National Security Agency spying.
(stay tuned for the usual "communist, Marxist bullshyt from the oathkeepers on here)
Does Raul realize Obama is a liar?

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1038439 Dec 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Sen. Ted Cruz defied critics angry that he eulogized Nelson Mandela and left for South Africa today as part of a 23 member congressional delegation going to honor the former South African president and anti-apartheid hero.
“He endured decades of imprisonment and steadfastly continued his fight for equality. And, when justice prevailed in his battle against apartheid, and Mandela was elected president of his nation, he nobly chose reconciliation instead of retribution — a legacy for which he will be remembered forever,” Cruz, R-Texas, said.
Cruz’s press secretary, Catherine Frazier, also rejected the arguments of those who criticized Cruz for lauding Mandela.
“Mr. Mandela deserves to be remembered and honored for his sacrifices in pursuit of freedom for the oppressed and his historic achievements to that end,” Frazier said.
Rep. Aaron Schock, the Republican congressman who was tapped by Speaker John Boehner to lead the delegation to South Africa, has also been met with social media heat for eulogizing Mandela as “the George Washington of our time.”
In response to the Illinois congressman’s tweet, twitter user Mark Christopher said,[email protected] @NelsonMandela George Washington? He was a communist…. Not the devil, but GW?”
Perhaps the staunchest defense of praising Mandela came from former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
On Friday, Gingrich wrote a scathing criticism of Mandela’s opponents among his fellow GOP members, and suggested that Tea Party types share Mandela’s values, even his violent resistance against apartheid.
“Some of the people who are most opposed to oppression from Washington attack Mandela when he was opposed to oppression in his own country,” Gingrich wrote.
The former Speaker of the House continued to speak out against Mandela critics, sighting examples of historic American leaders fighting against oppression, sometimes with force.
“As Americans we celebrate the farmers at Lexington and Concord who used force to oppose British tyranny,” Gingrich noted.“We praise George Washington for spending eight years in the field fighting the British Army’s dictatorial assault on our freedom.”
“Patrick Henry said,‘Give me liberty or give me death,’” he added.
Republicans aren’t the only ones being met with criticism for honoring Nelson Mandela.
The White House posted a video to Facebook of the president speaking about the anti-apartheid leader’s passing, and quoted Obama saying,“He no longer belongs to us—he belongs to the ages.” The Facebook post received 4,085 likes, and 700 comments, many of which were critical of the president and his eulogizing of the South African leader.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/12/...
the racists are not happy.
hey racists! tuff shit! the minority can whine all it wants, but since you're the minority....no one cares. even your own are declaring your ignorance. how's it feel to have someone like Cruz remind you that you're a dumb redneck hick?
Cruz has his opion. We have ours.
That's how it works in America.
However, in South Africa, if you had an opinion different than Mandela, he'd burn you to death.
God bless America.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1038440 Dec 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i've got no comment for those who think that Obama hasn't down enough for blacks while they go on about Obama giving the black folks whatever they want so they'll vote for him.
so you can see why people think you're a conflicted nutjob.
No wonder you stay away from news sites as their articles will come as a direct violation to what you want the world to be.

Idealism just got mugged by Reality.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1038441 Dec 10, 2013
The Republican Rejection of Medicaid Expansion is Depraved

The refusal of Republican states to accept Obamacare's Medicaid expansion surely ranks as one of the most sordid acts in recent American history. The cost to the states is tiny, and the help it would bring to the poor is immense. It's paid for by taxes that residents of these states are going to pay regardless of whether they receive any of the benefits. And yet, merely because it has Obama's name attached to it, they've decided that immiserating millions of poor people is worth it. It's hard to imagine a decision more depraved.

Conservatives hate it when you accuse them of simply not caring about the poor. Sometimes they have a point. This is not one of those times.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/12...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1038442 Dec 10, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Oh lord, here we go. Good morning Lily.
Mandela was a strong supporter of Castro-why is this a surprise to you?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1038443 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
What does any of that blather have to do with the comments made to Newt Gingrich facebook tribute to Nelson Mandela?
"sink or swim on your own": is that what you said to that guy you killed on the James river?
Has nuculuroptionless been guzzling with you all night long?
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1038444 Dec 10, 2013
Highly paid gubbymint/union employees would never have the need to steal...

'24 IRS Employees Arrested For Theft Of Government Benefits'

http://www.ibtimes.com/24-irs-employees-arres...
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1038445 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Most stupid women who do the above end up killed. Once the state has made the charges; it doesn't matter if she changed her mind.
Both the ex wife and her are in danger; but maybe too stupid to get it.
You are rejoicing in a murderer potentially being free to kill again. That's how damn sick in the head you are. If the stupid girlfriend is claiming she lied; she can go to jail herself.
What kind of woman would want to date a killer anyway, stupid idiot white trash.
lily waits until the very last sentence to unleash her absolute favorite, the lily race card.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1038447 Dec 10, 2013
A lot of diversion from the real subjects that require discussion lately. How about we discuss matters of importance.

Can anyone find any text in the ObamaKare law about health care?
So far, nobody has been able to produce any text whatsoever from the Obamakare law about health care.

So, since it's obvious ObamaKare isn't about health care, just what does that 2000+ page incomprehensible law pertain to?
What plan are the Democrats executing with the ObamaKare law?
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1038446 Dec 10, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
Martin Bashir
who was right on the money.

shit out, shit in. now if only someone in the MSM would call out most of the right wing media for the very same......
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1038448 Dec 10, 2013
forks_make_us_fat wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you fund a shutdown?
Didn't the last shutdown reduce the deficit that the Progressives are trying to brag about now?

Didn't the last shutdown help the unemployment number as 41% of those counted were government employees coming back from furlough? Weren't the progressives bragging about this too?
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1038449 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that he was surprised; but perhaps he has now finally opened his eyes to the rabid right wing white supremacist fringe that has become so hyper partisan that it's like the cold war.
lily really loves the race card
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1038450 Dec 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you stay away from news sites as their articles will come as a direct violation to what you want the world to be.
Idealism just got mugged by Reality.
news....

Had all 50 states expanded Medicaid, 95 percent of uninsured African-Americans would be eligible for some form of federal assistance through the Affordable Care Act coverage—either via Medicaid or premium subsidies—according to a Health and Human Services report released Monday. Instead, only 60 percent will benefit.

In total, 25 states chose not to expand Medicaid, creating a "coverage gap" where some residents earn too much to qualify for the program but not enough to qualify for the tax credits.[...]

More than half of all eligible uninsured African-Americans live in families whose income falls below the federal poverty line. Two-thirds of the total eligible population, however, resides in states that opted not to expand Medicaid.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/health-care/re...

so you can see why i have to laugh every time one of you nutjobs starts going on about Obama screwing over the black folks.
NuculurVodkaOpti on

Satellite Beach, FL

#1038451 Dec 10, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely
told you so
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1038452 Dec 10, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>No, merely Homer stating the truth as per usual.
The only people who don't want to disclose the truth, are people with something to hide.': Obama bin Lyin

It's the culture...

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1038453 Dec 10, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously, how many times does this need to be explained to you rightwing idiots?
What is the annual cost of housing, feeding, guarding, and escorting terrorists on their daily excursions under the tropical sky in Gitmo?
What is the cost of flying them back to the country where they were detained?

It cost more to keep them than to send them back, dumbass.

Obama lied... big surprise.
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1038454 Dec 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
The Republican Rejection of Medicaid Expansion is Depraved
The refusal of Republican states to accept Obamacare's Medicaid expansion surely ranks as one of the most sordid acts in recent American history. The cost to the states is tiny, and the help it would bring to the poor is immense. It's paid for by taxes that residents of these states are going to pay regardless of whether they receive any of the benefits. And yet, merely because it has Obama's name attached to it, they've decided that immiserating millions of poor people is worth it. It's hard to imagine a decision more depraved.
Conservatives hate it when you accuse them of simply not caring about the poor. Sometimes they have a point. This is not one of those times.
http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/12...
who pay taxes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama to head Mosque in City, 26 min Sis Marian Roberta 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min JRB 219,395
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr honeymylove 2,271
Dear White Children 1 hr Blacks 5
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr GEORGIA 1,796
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr GEORGIA 2,854
Word (Dec '08) 2 hr GEORGIA 6,556
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Sublime1 103,130

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages