Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1037506 Dec 9, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, I simply stated it was no surprise lily would KNOW the name of an idiotic movie.
Hey, I gave her credit yesterday for being an expert on jail food.
What's idiotic about it? John Irving is one of my favorite authors; have read all of his books. Have you?

Or are you sticking to Anne Coulter?

And furthermore, if you think that The World Accorinding to Garp is idiotic, why then would you attempt to quote it?

Or did you mean Garth Brooks? gfy anyway turd
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1037507 Dec 9, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Knowing more than a dumbass right whiner is hardly grounds to be considered an expert.
You know more than others?

Why then, of course you must be willing to share your credentials.

What university did you attend and what was your major?

How many years of banking experience do you have?

What is your source of your banking expertise?

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1037508 Dec 9, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one claiming the black man deserves special considerations.
Figure it out fast Dave. Do you want to be equal or do you want to be a victim deserving special handling.
Never said that.

You are a liar.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1037509 Dec 9, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>She'll argue for an hour on how no it's Garth. lol
This is my cue! Hold the fort Homer, sorry you're on your own, hope Realtime shows up with his phenomenal smackdowns!
Is it snowing in PA? 80 and sunny in fabulous Florida!
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1037511 Dec 9, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? I'm not Catholic.
Union Democrats, specifically Jr. & High School Teachers have replaced the Catholic Priests starting about two decades ago.

Try to keep up.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1037512 Dec 9, 2013
Poor Biden will not be left out-

VP Biden will speak Wednesday at a memorial service for Mandela at the National Cathedral in DC.
Vodka

Palm Coast, FL

#1037513 Dec 9, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
What's idiotic about it? John Irving is one of my favorite authors; have read all of his books. Have you?
And furthermore, if you think that The World Accorinding to Garp is idiotic, why then would you attempt to quote it?
"gfy anyway turd"? Do you kiss your embarrassed children with that mouth, drunken racist lily?
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1037514 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Well, good for you.

They weren't on my reading list and sorry, I do not feel culturally deprived for missing them.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1037515 Dec 9, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's work on your reading and comprehension of the written English language.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
This means the government does not have any right to investigate anything about you without just cause.
Why is this so difficult for you to understand? It's written in plain English.
lol! Son, what makes you believe they can't investigate you without your knowledge?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1037516 Dec 9, 2013
The Surprising Republican Civil War That Erupted Over Nelson Mandela and Apartheid

...Conservatives believed the U.S. had no business hectoring the South African government over apartheid. Senator Jesse Helms (R–N.C.), the Senate's leading race-baiter, took the Senate floor to filibuster on behalf of the apartheid government of South Africa. Helms was an old pro at using the filibuster: he had launched a similar one three years earlier against establishing a national holiday to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. He was joined by like-minded conservatives including noted segregationist Strom Thurmond (R–S.C.) and future presidential hopeful Phil Gramm (R–Texas) in voting against the bill's final passage. Over in the House, Representative Dick Cheney (R–Wyo.) joined the minority in opposing the Anti-Apartheid Act. In earlier battles over South Africa, Cheney had denounced Nelson Mandela as a terrorist and argued against his release.

But conservatives were unable to stop the majority from acting. Congress approved the bill and sent it to President Reagan.

He vetoed it.

Reagan took his case directly to the people on a live TV broadcast. He echoed Crocker in urging Americans to be patient with South Africa's apartheid government. Reagan argued that sanctions would disproportionately hurt black South Africans without significantly undermining apartheid, and blamed black extremists for contributing to the violence. Change, if it were to come at all, would happen incrementally. He believed he had sold his case effectively, and considered the matter closed.

Back in the Senate, Edward Kennedy chastised Republicans for Reagan's actions:

"The Republican Party is at a crossroads. It must decide whether it wants to be the party of Lincoln or the party of apartheid."

Under considerable pressure, Republican moderates rallied. Thirty-seven (37) out of 53 Republican senators joined their Democratic colleagues to pass the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act over Reagan's veto. Conservatives fumed, but they were powerless to stop the law from passing. It was the first time in the 20th century that a presidential veto on a foreign policy issue had been overturned.

Reagan issued a tersely worded response:

"I deeply regret that Congress has seen fit to override my veto of the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986. Punitive sanctions, I believe, are not the best course of action; they hurt the very people they are intended to help ...[T]his will not solve the serious problems that plague that country."

But he was wrong.

....Republican moderates deserve credit for having the courage to go against Reagan in passing the Anti-Apartheid Act. Though denounced by conservatives for their actions, they held firm. As a result, the United States directly contributed to the liberation of millions of people from one of the world's most oppressive regimes. It was a Wilsonian vision of America's ability to create positive change in the world, and it wouldn't have happened without Republicans working in common purpose with Democrats. When Newt Gingrich later became Speaker of the House, his partisan leadership style would make such collaboration all but impossible. But that was still eight years away, and for the moment members of both parties could take pride in what they had accomplished together.

Those who preached delay in fighting apartheid often pointed to the hopeless complexity of the situation. But to many Republicans in 1986, the issue was obvious:

"In the 1960s, when I was in college, civil rights issues were clear," explained Senator Mitch McConnell (R–Ky.), who voted to pass the Act over Reagan's veto. "After that, it became complicated with questions of quotas and other matters that split people of good will. When the apartheid issues came along, it made civil rights black and white again. It was not complicated."

http://www.policymic.com/articles/52029/the-s...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1037518 Dec 9, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
if a 60-year old couple has great insurance that doesn't include maternity benefits, fools like you and Obama call it "substandard"...
clueless fools...who don't believe in "choice"...
Good insurance should cover everything. Period. Currently we have women getting pregnant and then trying to add maturity coverage after the fact. They end up getting treated at Community Health Clinics. Maternity insurance costs $19 a month. You people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1037519 Dec 9, 2013
Top hospitals are excluded under ObamaCare

Americans who are buying insurance plans over online exchanges, under what is known as Obamacare, will have limited access to some of the nation’s leading hospitals, including two world-renowned...

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/994951f8-5e71-11...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1037521 Dec 9, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely, if the Democrats caused the recession, they would have to have said this:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1222905...
Any questions about who was promoting the policies that caused the economy to collapse?
I've got a question.
Why did the Democrats support the war in Iraq?
And, why did the Democrats oppose that same war they supported previously?
Try to answer these questions without introducing yourself as a conspiracy nut. ;-)
lol! Yes son. It was capitalism that caused the economic collapse.

No conspiracy. Simple greed!
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1037522 Dec 9, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Never said that.
You are a liar.
Dave, you keep up the drum beat that people are somehow racist for opposing Obama.

Is that not demanding a special privilege not given to other POTUS
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1037523 Dec 9, 2013
Where's flack? Maybe he can give us another recipe today; perhaps a spam and velveeta ball coated with wonder bread or something...
Or; how about this one?
Baloney, spam and velveeta on toothpicks with umbrellas on 'em; served on a paper plate with a can a whoopass!!!

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1037525 Dec 9, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you run away every time I post the quotes from the Democrats in 2003 outright lying when they were negotiating for no effective oversight of their Marxist CRA program that collapsed our economy after two years (fuck you) oversight by Democrats Dodd and Frank, from whom we heard a constant stream of lies right up to the collapse.
Looks like you always run away from the fact that the Democrats supported the war in Iraq in exchange for the CRA concessions the Republicans gave them.
The debt was caused by the goddam Arabs starting a war on 9/11(/2001), moron.
Total debt before the Arabs started the war: 5 trillion dollars.
Total debt when the Republicans turned over all the purse strings of government to the Democrats: 8.5 trillion dollars.
Total debt today: 17 trillion dollars.
The war the Arabs started increased the debt 3.5 trillion dollars.
The Democrats doubled the debt they were given.
Now, what is it about the above facts you can't comprehend?
Where is that list.

Why do you keep running from this.

You claim the Democrats caused all the economic mess that started in the 4th quarter of 2007 so certainly you have a list of the legislation they passed that created it.

I mean, otherwise would be admitting you are a dumbass liar? right?
Vodka

Palm Coast, FL

#1037526 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
This is my cue! Hold the fort Homer, sorry you're on your own, hope Realtime shows up with his phenomenal smackdowns!
Is it snowing in PA? 80 and sunny in fabulous Florida!
lily must need to crawl out for another bottle
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1037527 Dec 9, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good insurance should cover everything. Period. Currently we have women getting pregnant and then trying to add maturity coverage after the fact. They end up getting treated at Community Health Clinics. Maternity insurance costs $19 a month. You people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
What is wrong with Community Health Clinics? Now they are bad but Obamacare causing doctors to reject exchange insurance and forcing people into Community Health Clinics is good?
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1037528 Dec 9, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
That argument about not covering prenatal and maternity costs is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard of.
They're so worried someone might have sex that it drives them nuts.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1037530 Dec 9, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you must have insurance to cover heavy snow loads on your home's roof, right? Ahh, it's probably only $19 a month.

I'm sure you like wasting $228 a year for things you don't need.

Why don't you tell us about all the things you gladly pay for that you don't use. You must also have an extra cell phone you don't use to.

Awww heck - it's only $19 a month.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Jacques Ottawa 187,447
time to " splain" 9 min reality is a crutch 1
Amy 4-28-15 18 min Blunt Advice 4
News New study details downside of CTA's newest rail... 32 min reality is a crutch 1
Abby 4-28-15 43 min Mister Tonka 9
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 51 min Ratloder 69,717
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Al the Bore Gore 52,903
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]