Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Phil Shifley

Coffeyville, KS

#1036817 Dec 8, 2013
flack wrote:
WED DEC 04, 2013 AT 09:28 AM PST
Alert: Art. V Convention Threat Grows: Dec 7, 2013 Assembly
byRenMinFollow
I know many of you don't pay much attention to the right-wing noise machine, and when you do dismiss what you hear for obvious reaons -- like they're generally full of shit.
Well, that's all true, but that doesn't mean they're not dangerous. After all, many liberals and progressives laughed at and dismissed Rush Limbaugh and the other right-wing talk radio shock jocks as clowns, back in the 90s, but look how much influence he has had and how much damage he's done to our civil discourse. These things have a way of flying under the radar until they reach a critical mass, then they explode to cause no end of trouble.
That's why I'm writing today about a growing movement in far-right circles that sounds like a bunch of crackpots, but could actually pose a serious danger to our democracy. Spurred on by Mark Levin and others, there is a grass-roots conservative movement to convene an Article V convention of the States to amend the Constitution by enacting so-called "Liberty Amendments" that would eliminate the popular election of Senators, require a balanced federal budget, prohibit the federal government from any activity conducted by the states (including healthcare), effectively eliminate the commerce clause and the general welfare clause, enact term limits on judges and enable the States to overturn judicial decisions, impose nation-wide voter id laws, and enshrine several other far-right hobbyhorses as Constitutional imperatives. And this movement has support from people who should know better, like state representatives from Indiana and Georgia. While obviously on the fringe now, these sorts of things have a tendency to become mainstream conservative thought if unchecked. Follow me below the squiggle for more details.
There is a meeting of representatives from at least 30 states scheduled just three days from now, Saturday, December 7, at the library in Mount Vernon.(Is nothing sacred? George Washington is probably spinning in his grave even as we speak.) Elected officials will be among the attendees: David Long, President of the Indiana State Senate; and Jason Spencer, Georgia state representative.
In fact, the state of Indiana has actually enacted legislation to facilitate the appointment of delegates to such a convention, and to govern their activities.
To take a step back, I should explain that Article V of the Constitution provides two ways to amend the Constitution. The first, with which we are familiar because it is the way all amendments have been enacted to date, is for two-thirds of the House and Senate to vote for an amendment, which is then sent to the States for ratification (which requires approval by three-fourths of the States). But alternatively, if two-thirds (34) of the States so request to Congress, Congress must then call a convention to propose amendments (which must then be ratified, again, by three-fourths of the States). Although the procedures for such a convention are unclear, the folks currently pushing this take the position that such a convention would be a creature of the State legislatures, with delegates appointed by the legislatures and bound by their instructions.
Think about it -- while I haven't done the math, I bet you could come up with two-thirds of the States with a combined population less than that of California and New York. At any rate, clearly the convention could be convened at the request of legislatures representing a small minority of the nation's population. This is yet another attempt by the right to enact policies that they can't win through legitimate elections.
OMG.....states rights, balanced budgets, voter id laws....what anarchy is this???? You are right....they sound very dangerous....LOL...you are a hoot man, truly you are!
Vodka

Palm Coast, FL

#1036818 Dec 8, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
HUH? You're drunk for sure. "street creed", Charlie Rangel challenging President Obama to what?
Rumor has it? rumor has it that you're whack,.
btw, flack has posted his baloney sandwich recipe!!! Go make one. Sounds like something they serve in jail.
lily recalls her meals in jail, but the vodka cravings are first and foremost on her mind.
OBAMA the GENIUS

Fayetteville, NC

#1036819 Dec 8, 2013
healthcare.gov

healthcare.gov

healthcare.gov

Democrats won and made it happen for everyone.

THE GENIUS FOR EVERY AMERICAN!

(((Republicans voted against the ACA 50 times!)))

LOSERS! LIARS! IDIOTS! <--- hey Republicans, that's you!

LOL!

healthcare.gov

healthcare.gov

healthcare.gov

Since: Dec 13

Nitro, WV

#1036820 Dec 8, 2013
OBAMA the GENIUS wrote:
LOOK:
$51 per month for full med insurance coverage:
ACA......OBAMACARE!
IT'S EVERYWHERE....ALL 50 STATES!
even little shttty red ones!
but live in denial Republicans,
I hear the fried baloney is good this time of year.
healthcare.gov
open enrollment ends soon, log in today!
Never ever believe a lying Republican!
It's on now: full coverage,$51 a month!
add dental......$32 a month!
IT WORKS RIGHT NOW! LOG IN! MILLIONS GOT THIS DEAL ALREADY!
CONFIRMATION LETTERS ARRIVE AT YOUR HOUSE 3 DAYS AFTER SIGNING UP!
BLUE CROSS CO PAY CARDS ON SALE NOW...ACA!
So eat fried baloney, ring up $200,000 in the hospital,
PAY ONLY $1400 OUT OF POCKET! wow!
healthcare.gov
We know you have nothing better to do than lie to us about your failed health plan. Get a real job Obama.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1036821 Dec 8, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Actually I use Texas Pete Hot Sauce instead of mayonnaise.
Hmmm, never heard of that brand. Although I am not too much into hot sauce.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1036822 Dec 8, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
A zygote or fetus is not a "baby". Life does not begin at conception.
You keep telling yourself that if it helps.
Frank

Spokane, WA

#1036823 Dec 8, 2013
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
140,000 Medicaid which are no-pay and then 80,000 heavily subsidized payers, assuming your numbers are correct then it's obvious those numbers are going to be a huge cost to the American Taxpayer. What happened to the promise this wasn't going to cost one penny in additional taxes? Or the promise the average savings to consumers would be $2500 per year per family?
Perhaps those promises went the same place as the promise if you like your insurance you can keep it and the other promise that you like your doctors and hospitals, clinics you can keep them?
If all Obama wanted to do was add millions of people to the Medicaid roles,he didn't have to pass ObamaKare legislation that adversely effect 285 million people. All Obama had to do was allocate a few dollars to signing up Medicaid recipients,the re-allocate funds to help pay for it. Obama could have simply earmarked all federal income tax that is paid by the medical industry to go directly for health care. The doctors,nurses and administrators would rather see their tax dollars used productively for health care than to be wasted for things like trips for Obama to Kenya.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1036824 Dec 8, 2013
"I Drive Your Truck" up for 2 Grammys... Here's a little more about this special song

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/07/i-dri...

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1036825 Dec 8, 2013
Time to get ready for some football. I'll pop in from time to time.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1036826 Dec 8, 2013
Again, does anyone think we should raise the debt ceiling again before the middle of February?

If so, how much higher than $17 trillion would be too high?

Because another shutdown is looming if Congress can't come to a consensus again in a few more months.

Just a suggestion...but wouldn't selling unused federal land, enacting major reforms and building a pipeline the better solutions?

Or is spending our way into the abyss of no return the better way to go?
Frank

Spokane, WA

#1036827 Dec 8, 2013
Whatever wrote:
The TSA made half a million dollars last year because you forgot your change.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/w...
The sad thing is that some republicans want the TSA to donate the money to the USO and Obama supporters accuse them of being racist.
Vodka

Palm Coast, FL

#1036828 Dec 8, 2013
Vodka wrote:
<quoted text> lily recalls her meals in jail, but the vodka cravings are first and foremost on her mind.
Suck it up, Obamabots!

Orlando, FL

#1036829 Dec 8, 2013
Also, Congress has only days left this month to pass the farm bill.

Without action, parts of the law will revert to the original 1938 and 1949 versions resulting in milk prices as high as $7 a gallon.

The problem is the growing food stamp epidemic (due to lack of jobs) is tied to the farm bill.

Does this administration truly not want people working but dependent on government instead?

Because it sure seems that way.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1036830 Dec 8, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all aspects of the medical industry. But physicians have an option to take insurance or not. Because Obamacare requires more regulations and costly paperwork time - and because many physicians have opted out of taking Medicare patients already - the medical industry will be overburdened and corners will be cut.
This administration will have to force physicians to do the bidding of those in power. It's the only way physicians will succumb to the will of government - or leave their practices.
Is that the kind of health care system you wanted?
If doctors in Florida stopped taking Medicare; they'd have no patients. You just keep making up stuff as you go along. The percentage of doctors who refuse to accept insurance and demand cash payments from private patients is an extremely limited group.
Maybe the 1% club; that's it.
Even Boner took the $5300 subsidy! Saying he has only one more year till he gets Medicare.
If they want to leave their practices, so big deal, let them.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1036831 Dec 8, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>The sad thing is that some republicans want the TSA to donate the money to the USO and Obama supporters accuse them of being racist.
liar
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1036832 Dec 8, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>True Capitalism does exist in China and why do think US Corporations moved over in China because Capitalism can flourish there and the so Called Chinese Communist party is the the Plutocarcy and not elected and China sure isn't based on Communism which would mean everyone is equal and I hate to tell you but in China there is a Class Structured Society in place which Communism rejects.
US corporations will move ANYWHERE and not just China so long as the bottom line numbers are met... regardless of politics.

What is interesting is China is coming around to losing the corruption moniker on their own... or rather, because it affects their bottom line!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1036833 Dec 8, 2013
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't think so, we'll keep it simple and just give him a gray one. Print off a hundred Obama's face sketches and he can be fulfilled and satisfied with his life by coloring them.
lol! awwww... how nice of you....

... sharing!!!!

Orlando, FL

#1036834 Dec 8, 2013
I'll ask again.

Who on here thinks we should raise the debt ceiling again before the middle of February?

If so, how much higher than $17 trillion would be too high?

It's a perfectly legitimate question. The off-the-charts deficit will affect us all.

So how high is too high?

Either no one wants to answer that question or just scared to answer it.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#1036835 Dec 8, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, never heard of that brand. Although I am not too much into hot sauce.
The Texas Pete brand is the bomb. As is all their other products.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1036836 Dec 8, 2013
Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Mornin', thread dummy & delusional Democrat parasite.
Here's some good news for America:
Obama Approval Down Most Among Hispanics in Past Year
Hispanics' approval has fallen from 75% in December 2012 to 52% in November
by Jeffrey M. Jones
PRINCETON, NJ -- President Barack Obama's job approval rating averaged 41% in November, down 12 percentage points from 53% last December, his high-water mark since his first year in office. Hispanics' approval has dropped 23 points over the last 12 months, the most among major subgroups, and nearly twice the national average.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/166139/obama-appro...
lol! it must make you ruskies happy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Joe Biden 180,984
Last Chance! 55 min Harem 1
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 3 hr Imasport 142
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr OzRitz 48,599
Ferguson protests move to retail stores 4 hr reality is a crutch 1
The Road to Perdition is strewn with the corpses 5 hr 1-5-11-17 MISSING 15
My true thoughts about this song. 5 hr ThereSheGosWalkin 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago