Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1421071 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037462 Dec 9, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but somehow we are addicted to this nonsense. I don't know quite how it happened, it just did, with comments on topix almost 5 years ago, seems crazy doesn't it?
Yeah, I suppose it is. I guess I feel sorry for a lot of these rightwingers, most appear to be shut-ins watching Fox News all day and night. I'm sure some cannot function outside their own homes, DBWriter, all those sock puppets, and Carol is heading that way.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1037463 Dec 9, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea what you are talking about. What White House spin, what progressive site? Explain please.
Amazing bunch the Progressives are in their sheltered world.

USAsince doesn't know what Twitter is and Homer claims to never heard of the many politically paid for charity sites- Think Progress, TPM, Mother Jones, Move ON, et al.
RUSH10ME

Aylett, VA

#1037464 Dec 9, 2013
Vodka wrote:
<quoted text> lily's drunken meltdown began early this morning, when the other homeless vagrants scraped her off the floor and dragged her back behind her warehouse, just in time to begin her disgusting racist rant against Ronald Reagan. LOL
lily dreams of the day when "king" obama sits down with jessie j , al sharpton and jay zee and flavor flave along with snoop dogg and re-write the constitution , a chicken in every pot , pot in every bowl , ebonics the 1st language , Katt Williams head of foriegn affairs ,ect. ect..
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1037465 Dec 9, 2013
Laney F wrote:
<quoted text>Amazon, Kayak and hundreds of other companies didn't hire Obammy's affirmative action campaign donors to build their websites, a/k/a Moochelle's friends.
Exactly: the whole thing can be summed up as "follow the money".
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037466 Dec 9, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on sweetie, take a bow, your idiotic screaming racist every other post puts you as the star of nonsense on this board.
Sadly most of these rightwingers don't even realize they are racists, not referring to you per se.
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1037467 Dec 9, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the only way a black person can achieve is through Affirmative Action. Nice post, racist f*ck.
Put-up or shut-up DumbassDave... Prove obama is not an affirmative action President...

Without an invented crisis, a liberal would not have a life or a racist cause...

It's the culture...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1037468 Dec 9, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the only way a black person can achieve is through Affirmative Action. Nice post, racist f*ck.
You are the one claiming the black man deserves special considerations.

Figure it out fast Dave. Do you want to be equal or do you want to be a victim deserving special handling.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1037469 Dec 9, 2013
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>So thats how you argue facts , by shifting blame instead of putting it where it belongs , did Reagan sell drugs to the friend of your daughter who over dosed awhile back ?
lily is a perpetual victim.
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1037470 Dec 9, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
In defining minimum coverage, Galt thinks there should be a separate guideline for fertile & unfertile women. This is how GD stupid Galt & the right whiners are that keep posting about this.
DumbassDave is so jaded that he can look at the negative in such a positive thing, and then post swear words or racist comments to defend the stupidity of his statement...

It's the culture....
Vodka

Satellite Beach, FL

#1037471 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Total meltdown in progress.... how long before you start typing in all caps?
lily's total meltdown is still in progress, now begging for caps. The last time the taxpayers had to fund her caps, lily was able to return to opening her bottles and beer cans with her teeth. Now being in her state of constant decline, she can only use her vile mouth to spew Obama lies and her "mofo" language.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1037472 Dec 9, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly most of these rightwingers don't even realize they are racists, not referring to you per se.
You can call me a racist like moron lily does and I will laugh.

The word has no value when misused and the abuse of it has people ignoring it.

Perhaps the good thing about people like lily wildly flinging it- is that it lost its' power.

If you are going to scream wolf-there better be one.
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1037473 Dec 9, 2013
Homer wrote:
It's a shame Republicans have refused to work with this president at all for the last 5 years.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
But then Republicans have no shame.
Good morning everyone.
Obama is a hyper-partisan and his presidency is easily the most partisan of our lifetime.

Of course, all politics comes with a degree of partisanship. It’s absurd for anybody to argue “their side” doesn’t engage in partisan politics. But for some, the benefit of engaging in partisan politics is more important than looking at the big picture.

I say this because Obama chooses to pursue short-term political advantages rather than look at the long-term consequences of his actions.

President Clinton was an ideologue. He loved the idea of big government. He believed big government could solve all the nation’s ills. But he was also a pragmatist, unlike President Obama. He would sacrifice short-term politics in order to benefit long-term. It’s the reason he went along with welfare reform and signed capital gains tax cuts into law.

Nothing shines the light on President Obama’s extreme partisanship more than the time during the government shutdown. As the Obamacare website was ready to roll out, the President was well aware (contrary to what he said, of course) of the problems with that site.

He was well aware that people were going to lose their plans.

He knew there were going to be problems.

He could have done something to stave off the inevitable disaster.

But he chose INSTEAD to take the short-term political win. It worked for a couple of weeks. But now here we are, 45 days later and the President’s poll numbers are plunging.

Beyond attempting to play the short-term political game (he did the same thing with sequestration), the President has a penchant for doing two other things:

1. Making personal any differences he has with Republicans over policy (i.e., it’s all about him)

and

2. Attacking the motives of his ideological opponents

The former was highlighted this fall, first when he was doing one of his many campaign-style events over the impending budget battle:

Facing a showdown with congressional Republicans over funding government operations and raising the federal debt ceiling, Obama said his opponents are “not focused on you, they’re focused on politics, they’re focused on trying to mess with me.”

Yes, Mr. President, Republicans have different ideas over how we should spend taxpayer money because it’s going to “mess with you.”

Then there was the battle over Obamacare and the “I won, so shut up” argument:

“You don’t like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don’t break it. Don’t break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That’s not being faithful to what this country’s about.”

Seeing as how the President has referred to Congress as some pesky “impediment” to implementing his agenda, it shouldn’t surprise anybody that he thinks nothing of the men and women in Congress who also won.

With respect to motives, the President almost always assumes Republicans are acting in bad faith. Remember,“he won” so therefore any disagreement with the President on issues of policy can only mean Republicans don’t like him or they are hell bent on hurting people.

OBAMMY UNTRUTHS AND HIS MANY PINNOCHIO AWARDS.
'After all that we’ve been through these past five years, after all the work Americans like those standing behind me have done to come back from the depths of a crisis, are some of these folks really so beholden to one extreme wing of their party that they’re willing to tank the entire economy just because they can’t get their way on this issue? Are they really willing to hurt people just to score political points? I hope not.'
Vodka

Satellite Beach, FL

#1037474 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
It's "Garp", dummy
It's your "vodka", Dummy!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037475 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
It's "Garp", dummy
She'll argue for an hour on how no it's Garth. lol
Vodka

Satellite Beach, FL

#1037476 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh ok, well, then tell us what the "begening" was.
Could it be racial profiling? You do understand that there are more white drug dealers; who are dealing in much greater amounts than then black kid on the street, don't you?
Could it be racial discrimination? Would you hire a young black man? Would you hire a young man with a criminal record?
The only way to completely discriminate against blacks is by turning them into felons. It's a lose-lose scenario that you are now reaping the consequences of.
Remember that people have to eat. If you don't let them get a job; or housing then they will do something to survive. Unfortunately the easy money is in drugs. Why is it legal for Perdu Pharma to make billions on Oxycontin; and some poor slob on the street goes to prison for 5 years for selling a few pills?
Why do the police not go and shake down the investment bankers on Wall St. who have their coke delivered by Russian prostitutes?
The war on drugs is a disaster; it has to end.
lily loves the race card
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037477 Dec 9, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing bunch the Progressives are in their sheltered world.
USAsince doesn't know what Twitter is and Homer claims to never heard of the many politically paid for charity sites- Think Progress, TPM, Mother Jones, Move ON, et al.
I've heard of them, I just do not visit them.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037478 Dec 9, 2013
Laney F wrote:
<quoted text>Obama is a hyper-partisan and his presidency is easily the most partisan of our lifetime.
Of course, all politics comes with a degree of partisanship. It’s absurd for anybody to argue “their side” doesn’t engage in partisan politics. But for some, the benefit of engaging in partisan politics is more important than looking at the big picture.
I say this because Obama chooses to pursue short-term political advantages rather than look at the long-term consequences of his actions.
President Clinton was an ideologue. He loved the idea of big government. He believed big government could solve all the nation’s ills. But he was also a pragmatist, unlike President Obama. He would sacrifice short-term politics in order to benefit long-term. It’s the reason he went along with welfare reform and signed capital gains tax cuts into law.
Nothing shines the light on President Obama’s extreme partisanship more than the time during the government shutdown. As the Obamacare website was ready to roll out, the President was well aware (contrary to what he said, of course) of the problems with that site.
He was well aware that people were going to lose their plans.
He knew there were going to be problems.
He could have done something to stave off the inevitable disaster.
But he chose INSTEAD to take the short-term political win. It worked for a couple of weeks. But now here we are, 45 days later and the President’s poll numbers are plunging.
Beyond attempting to play the short-term political game (he did the same thing with sequestration), the President has a penchant for doing two other things:
1. Making personal any differences he has with Republicans over policy (i.e., it’s all about him)
and
2. Attacking the motives of his ideological opponents
The former was highlighted this fall, first when he was doing one of his many campaign-style events over the impending budget battle:
Facing a showdown with congressional Republicans over funding government operations and raising the federal debt ceiling, Obama said his opponents are “not focused on you, they’re focused on politics, they’re focused on trying to mess with me.”
Yes, Mr. President, Republicans have different ideas over how we should spend taxpayer money because it’s going to “mess with you.”
Then there was the battle over Obamacare and the “I won, so shut up” argument:
“You don’t like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election. Push to change it. But don’t break it. Don’t break what our predecessors spent over two centuries building. That’s not being faithful to what this country’s about.”
Seeing as how the President has referred to Congress as some pesky “impediment” to implementing his agenda, it shouldn’t surprise anybody that he thinks nothing of the men and women in Congress who also won.
With respect to motives, the President almost always assumes Republicans are acting in bad faith. Remember,“he won” so therefore any disagreement with the President on issues of policy can only mean Republicans don’t like him or they are hell bent on hurting people.
OBAMMY UNTRUTHS AND HIS MANY PINNOCHIO AWARDS.
'After all that we’ve been through these past five years, after all the work Americans like those standing behind me have done to come back from the depths of a crisis, are some of these folks really so beholden to one extreme wing of their party that they’re willing to tank the entire economy just because they can’t get their way on this issue? Are they really willing to hurt people just to score political points? I hope not.'
Total garbage.
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1037479 Dec 9, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly most of these rightwingers don't even realize they are racists, not referring to you per se.
As long as 95% of blacks continue to support a President - no matter what he does, no matter his views, policies, beliefs, etc.- simply because he too is black, then racism is certainly not a thing of the past in the demockratic party......

It's the culture...
RUSH10ME

Aylett, VA

#1037480 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh ok, well, then tell us what the "begening" was.
Could it be racial profiling? You do understand that there are more white drug dealers; who are dealing in much greater amounts than then black kid on the street, don't you?
Could it be racial discrimination? Would you hire a young black man? Would you hire a young man with a criminal record?
The only way to completely discriminate against blacks is by turning them into felons. It's a lose-lose scenario that you are now reaping the consequences of.
Remember that people have to eat. If you don't let them get a job; or housing then they will do something to survive. Unfortunately the easy money is in drugs. Why is it legal for Perdu Pharma to make billions on Oxycontin; and some poor slob on the street goes to prison for 5 years for selling a few pills?
Why do the police not go and shake down the investment bankers on Wall St. who have their coke delivered by Russian prostitutes?
The war on drugs is a disaster; it has to end.
What a surprise , no blame where it actually belongs , are you ashamed to admit that the biggest thing in the whole world holding black youth back is home training and the fact that black men in general are not parent material , they [85%] just don't care about the kids , period . And until some one holds them responsible it will never ever change , and yes some are tired of picking up the slack for their sorry asses me included , take care of your own !
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1037481 Dec 9, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
You can call me a racist like moron lily does and I will laugh.
The word has no value when misused and the abuse of it has people ignoring it.
Perhaps the good thing about people like lily wildly flinging it- is that it lost its' power.
If you are going to scream wolf-there better be one.
Have someone with intelligence reread my post and explain it to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Hill4me 222,856
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 36 min Go Blue Forever 103,467
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 1,957
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr GEORGIA 3,061
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Actual Science 61,099
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr RJS 8,553
Jesus Christ is alive 2 hr Rep Denny Hasturd 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages