Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1032343 Nov 29, 2013
National Black Republican Association

MISSION: The mission of the National Black Republican Association (NBRA) is to be a resource for the black community on Republican ideals and promote the traditional values of the black community which are the core values of the Republican Party: strong families, faith in God, personal responsibility, quality education, and equal opportunities for all.

GOAL: The goal of the NBRA is to return black Americans to their Republican Party roots by enlightening them about how Republicans fought for their freedom and civil rights, and are now fighting for their educational and economic advancement.

OBJECTIVES: The objectives of the NBRA are to conduct a nationwide grassroots educational campaign in black communities; champion school choice opportunity scholarships to give black parents educational options and access to a quality education for their children; and provide training and resources for grassroots activists and candidates for elected office.

...I say the more the merrier.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1032344 Nov 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Uneducated,uninformed WOW
Here, I'll explain it again.
The racism was in the South.
If you looked at the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Democrats & Republicans in the South voted no, Democrats & Republicans outside the South voted yes.
This proves just how GD stupid "WOW" really is.
All the Democrats I know are racist and I live up north, fool.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1032345 Nov 29, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
...there are no other jobs in the Obama Depression...
When do you think the Obama Depression will end?

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1032347 Nov 29, 2013
Obama is a joke wrote:
Only a few more hours until the deadline for fixing the Obamacare website.......will it happen??
The intensity is just too nail biting. Maybe we should play cards.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#1032348 Nov 29, 2013
How The New Deal Drove The Racists Out
In 1938, Sen. Josiah W. Bailey (D-NC) filibustered his own party’s bill. Well, part of his party — Northern Democrats, together with Northern Republicans, were pushing an federal anti-lynching bill. Bailey promised that Southern Democrats would teach “a lesson which no political party will ever again forget” to their Northern co-partisans if they “come down to North Carolina and try to impose your will upon us about the Negro:”
Just as when the Republicans in the [1860s] undertook to impose the national will upon us with respect to the Negro, we resented it and hated that party with a hatred that has outlasted generations; we hated it beyond measure; we hated it more than was right for us and more than was just; we hated it because of what it had done to us, because of the wrong it undertook to put upon us; and just as that same policy destroyed the hope of the Republican party in the South, that same policy adopted by the Democratic party will destroy the Democratic party in the South.
Bailey’s rage at the affront to white supremacy was born of surprise. Until 1932, the South had dominated the Democratic Party, which had consistently stood for the South’s key regional regional interest — keeping blacks in literal or figurative fetters — since before the Civil War.
But the Depression-caused backlash against Republican incumbents that swept New Yorker Franklin Roosevelt into the White House and a vast Democratic majority into Congress also made Southerners a minority in the party for the first time in its history. The South still controlled the most influential committee leadership votes in Congress, exercising a “Southern Veto” on race policy. The veto forced FDR to stay out of the anti-lynching fight (“If I come out for the anti-lynching bill,[the southerners] will block every bill I ask Congress to pass to keep America from collapsing,” he lamented).
The veto also injected racism into the New Deal. Social Security was “established on a racially invidious, albeit officially race-neutral, basis by excluding from coverage agricultural and domestic workers, the categories that included nearly 90 percent of black workers at the time,” University of Pennsylvania political scientist Adolph Reed Jr. wrote in The Nation.“Others, like the [Civilian Conservation Corps], operated on Jim Crow principles. Roosevelt’s housing policy put the weight of federal support behind creating and reproducing an overtly racially exclusive residential housing industry.”
Yet, Reed notes, the New Deal not only benefited blacks, but brought them to a position of power in the Democratic Party.“The Social Security exclusions were overturned, and black people did participate in the WPA, Federal Writers’ Project, CCC and other classic New Deal initiatives, as well as federal income relief,” he reminds us.“Black Americans’ emergence as a significant constituency in the Democratic electoral coalition helped to alter the party’s center of gravity and was one of the factors–as was black presence in the union movement–contributing to the success of the postwar civil rights insurgency.”
Hard evidence of the Northern Democrats’ radicalization on civil rights, outflanking the GOP, can be found by the early 1940s. UC-Berkeley’s Eric Schickler and coauthor Brian Feinstein built a database of state party platforms from 1920-1968 and examined their positions on African-American rights. They found that “the vast majority of nonsouthern state Democratic parties were clearly to the left of their GOP counterparts on civil rights policy by the mid-1940s to early 1950s.” African-Americans and other sympathetic New Deal Coalition constituencies, like Jews and union leaders, deserve the bulk of the credit — these new Northern Democrats made supporting civil rights a litmus test for elected Democratic officials.

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1032349 Nov 29, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
Hilarious, do you deny lying sack of shit Oblamer lied at least 29 times about people keeping their policies if they wanted to?
"we have to pass the law to see what's in it".
do you deny no more stupid of a statement was ever issued from the halls of congress?
Is that how you vote?
Why yes it is if you voted for Oblama.
Are you that frikking dumb?
The statement was no made to Congress.

Dumbass
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1032350 Nov 29, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
...there are no other jobs in the Obama Depression...
There aren't??? Didn't he single handedly create thousands upon thousands of jobs since he became pres???? Isn't unemployment coming down and aren't the middle class folks much better off now that Obama is in office??? Silly me, I thought that we were living in that Obama utopia that he promised us. I guess it was all a dream.

Chambersburg, PA

#1032351 Nov 29, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm from the north, "racism" towards blacks has been earned and learned.
Finally, a right whiner who admits his racism.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1032353 Nov 29, 2013
OBAMA the GENIUS wrote:
<quoted text>
What Byytch?
OBAMACARE!! IT'S EVERYWHERE....
IT KICKED YOUR AZZZZZZ SO HARD!
Where is Mitt?
Up on Uranus?
Hillary packs in 20,000 for a speech. Sold Out!
The Genius? Millions line up for a ticket just to hear him talk! Standing room only.
Bush?
I heard he paints little birdeeeees now!
What a zero!
ACA: best law ever passed in the USA!
It covers 50 million citizens in 2014!
It just got started:
healthcare.gov
Go there, crybaby!
America Loves Obama! Majority elected TWICE!
SO NICE!
Where is Mitt? He lost!
So Byytch, in closing,
ffffccckkkkkk YOU!
All Republicans going to hell. LOL!
How high will the bridge be that you jump off when Hillary loses after you snakes lose the House & Senate?
WOW

Bronx, NY

#1032354 Nov 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
If you looked at the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Democrats & Republicans in the South voted no, Democrats & Republicans outside the South voted yes.
Real sucker stupid dave these are american history facts they dont need you to explain anything facts are facts your attempt to brainwash GFYS
TSM

El Paso, TX

#1032355 Nov 29, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! As usual, that's you're only option since thinking is definitely a no-no on your party line!
It's clear since you work so hard at it son!
Yeah you would agree the Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” It’s the Trade Mark of Liberals!!
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1032357 Nov 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
The statement was no made to Congress.
Dumbass
When did you start signing off on your posts as Dumbass?

You seem to be a little more honest in that regard!
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1032358 Nov 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! You have to forgive him.

He was taught to plagiarize opinion pieces by copying and pasting from only selected sites without thinking.

But give him credit for working so diligently at his craft!
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#1032359 Nov 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text> Finally, a right whiner who admits his racism.
Must be a registered Democrat like you!
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1032360 Nov 29, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! Actually son, it's the bushie boy depression.

At the very least, Obama has righted a sinking ship...
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1032361 Nov 29, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol! Cons just love looking forward to failure!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1032362 Nov 29, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
...when the DemoKKKrats are kicked out of the White House...
Obama is a joke

Emmaus, PA

#1032363 Nov 29, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll get the popcorn. What would you like to drink-soda, ice water with lime, or iced tea?

Chambersburg, PA

#1032364 Nov 29, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
ObamaKKKare is adding four times as many people to the welfare Medicaid rolls as to private insurance...most of which is taxpayer-subsidized...
your claims about savings are horsecrap....
Savings are not crap at all. 40%. Same coverage. No subsidies.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1032365 Nov 29, 2013
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>Real sucker stupid dave these are american history facts they dont need you to explain anything facts are facts your attempt to brainwash GFYS
lol! At least in your mind son!

That much is for sure!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Earthling-1 53,034
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 69,797
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr red and right 187,822
College Scandals 8 hr music 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 10 hr Red_Forman 5,947
Word (Dec '08) 10 hr Red_Forman 5,211
News 1 dead 4 injured in separate shootings across C... 11 hr reality is a crutch 3
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]