Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1641511 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

nj raider 1

Vineland, NJ

#1031212 Nov 26, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text> patheos.com is about as honest as Orwell's Ministry of Truth. On patheos the only truth is whatever they want you to believe.
I think it's highly suspect that an atheist dominated site so completely supports a president who "claims" to be Christian. There is no such thing as *coincidence" in politics.
Consider the "coincidence" of Obama's intense interest in his Brain Initiative and Sam Harris' very serious desire to eliminate free will from the brains of religionists. The apathy of one group towards those they believe as relatively harmless will inflict more pain on innocent humans than any pogrom that was instituted in Europe. People need to step away from all the thought-stopping techniques flooding from the media and WAKE UP to the personal agendas the rich and powerful are planning on controlling them with! Apparently they are no longer satisfied with using everyday propaganda and brainwashing techniques. Funny how our tax dollars are used against us, ain't it? What's even funnier is how we never get a vote on the things that really matter like what that money's spent on. How convenient that is. Land of the free, my azz.
Are you serious? That's exactly what religion does, eliminate free will. It's either GOD or the devils fault. Man is not accountable for anything in you folks eyes. Incase you did'nt know, research the apostle Paul's version of CHRISTIANITY! It definitly does'nt match the version you follow. You worship the emperor constatine.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1031213 Nov 26, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says they're not wanted? In places like China and Russia, for example, people are hungry to hear the good news of Christ's love and forgiveness. They often meet in secret to worship and have to whisper not to be detected.
Who would do that unless they wanted to be there or were being offered something missing in their lives?
there are "Americans" who welcome Islamic terrorists and who meet them in secret...doesn't mean that the country should tolerate them...

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1031214 Nov 26, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
fine, but be willing to pay the price when you break the laws of a foreign country....
Missionaries know the risk more than anyone. And are willing to take it.

Missionaries work with people who are lacking necessities of life. They build facilities for fresh drinking water, food supply, education and clothing/shoes. They also teach people to be self-reliant. They meet the physical needs as well as the spiritual.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1031215 Nov 26, 2013
lol! Awwwwww..... not good for the reich wing and t-pers!

"IRS pushes to rein in tax-exempt political groups
Email this Story

Nov 26, 11:36 PM (ET)

By ANDREW TAYLOR

WASHINGTON (AP)- The Obama administration Tuesday launched a bid to rein in the use of tax-exempt groups for political campaigning.

The effort is an attempt to reduce the role of loosely regulated big-money political outfits like GOP political guru Karl Rove's Crossroads GPS and the pro-Obama Priorities USA.

The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Department said they want to prohibit such groups from using "candidate-related political activity" like running ads, registering voters or distributing campaign literature as activities that qualify them to be tax-exempt "social welfare" organizations.

The agencies say there will be a lengthy comment period before any regulations will be finalized. That means groups like Crossroads and Priorities USA will be able to collect millions of dollars from anonymous donors ahead of next year's campaign.

(AP) In this Tuesday, June 4, 2013, file photo, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman, Rep....
Full Image
"This proposed guidance is a first critical step toward creating clear-cut definitions of political activity by tax-exempt social welfare organizations," said Mark Mazur, treasury assistant secretary for tax policy. "We are committed to getting this right before issuing final guidance that may affect a broad group of organizations. It will take time to work through the regulatory process and carefully consider all public feedback as we strive to ensure that the standards for tax-exemption are clear and can be applied consistently."

Organized under section 501(c)(4) of the tax code, such groups are able to raise millions of dollars to influence elections. But they can also be small-scale tea party groups, many of which say they were harassed by the IRS after seeking tax exempt status.

House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., was skeptical of the administration's move.

"There continues to be an ongoing investigation, with many documents yet to be uncovered, into how the IRS systematically targeted and abused conservative-leaning groups," he said. "This smacks of the administration trying to shut down potential critics."

The 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision lifted the limits on donations by labor unions and companies to 501(c)(4) groups, allowing Crossroads, the largest of them, to raise large sums outside the limits that apply to candidates' campaigns and traditional party committees.

"Enormous abuses have taken place under the current rules, which have allowed groups largely devoted to campaign activities to operate as nonprofit groups in order to keep secret the donors funding their campaign activities," said Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21, which advocates limits on money in politics.

Under current rules, social welfare organizations may conduct some political work as long as it's not their main activity. The proposed new rules would block such things as running ads that "expressly advocate for a clearly identified political candidate or candidates of a political party" as fulfilling their tax-exempt mission. And ads that simply mention a politician to, for instance, urge him or her to vote a certain way couldn't be run 60 days before a general election of 30 days before a primary...."
nj raider 1

Vineland, NJ

#1031216 Nov 26, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
silly little boy...
unlike you and your kind, Galt doesn't look for trouble, just stays prepared...
It's a non factor. I'm not in the strees anymore, and you're afraid of the ghetto. I can only wish, but there's real gangsta's out there. Real gangsta's, not Trayvon Martin playing 1, or sadly mistaken for 1. Try your luck tough guy!

“no one told me”

Since: Dec 07

Denver

#1031217 Nov 26, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text> lol! Is that what Larry Craig told you to say son?
Larry Craig said you need to get your teeth removed before your next "encounter" with him, fartsack.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1031218 Nov 26, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right about mankind seeking and pursuing God.
Even Indians and tribal people believe in the spirit world and some version of God.
But anyone who seeks him, finds him. That's been true for a long time too. When Christ came to us, he introduced him.
Pursuing God is one thing but misinterpreting what you find is another.

“no one told me”

Denver

#1031219 Nov 26, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only makes sense that you are incapable of grasping the latest technology. Seems you people love living in the past.
The latest technology, dufus? How's that $680 million dollar Bengazikare site doing?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1031220 Nov 26, 2013
lol! Gotta love 'em!!!

"Pope issues mission statement for papacy
Email this Story

Nov 26, 4:09 PM (ET)

By NICOLE WINFIELD

VATICAN CITY (AP)- Pope Francis denounced the global financial system that excludes the poor as he issued the mission statement for his papacy on Tuesday, saying he wants the Catholic Church to get its hands dirty as it seeks to bring solace and mercy to society's outcasts.

In a 224-page document, Francis pulled together the priorities he has laid out over eight months of homilies, speeches and interviews, pushing to shift the church away from a focus on doctrine to one of joyful welcome in a bid to draw in believers in a world marked by secularization and vast income inequalities.

The document, Evangelii Gaudium,(The Joy of the Gospel), is the second major teaching document issued by Francis, but is the first actually written by him since the encyclical "The Light of Faith," issued in July, was penned almost entirely by Pope Benedict XVI before he resigned.

Francis' concerns are laced throughout, and the theological and historical citations leave no doubt about his own points of reference and priorities: Popes John XXIII and Paul VI, who presided over the Second Vatican Council, which brought the church into the modern world, are cited repeatedly.

And in a first for an apostolic exhortation, as this type of papal pronouncement is called, Francis cited various documents of bishops' conferences from around the world, an indication of the importance he places in giving the local church greater say in church governance.

In the text, Francis denounced trickle-down economic theories as unproven and naive, saying they are based on a survival of the fittest mentality "where the powerful feed upon the powerless" with no regard for ethics, the environment or even God.

"Money must serve, not rule!" he said in calling for political leaders to reform the system. "The Pope loves everyone, rich and poor alike, but he is obliged in the name of Christ to remind all that the rich must help, respect and promote the poor."

In a direct challenge to the focus of the past two popes, he also decried the church's "obsession" with rules and doctrine and said in some cases, the church's old customs can be cast aside if they no longer serve to communicate the faith.

In the church's "hierarchy of truths," mercy is paramount, proportion is necessary, and what counts is inviting the faithful in, he said.

At the same time, Francis restated the church's opposition to abortion, making clear that the doctrine is non-negotiable and is at the core of the church's insistence on the dignity of every human being.

The aim of the text was to set out his idea of what the Catholic Church should be, and how its priests, bishops and even the pope must change course to fulfill the task.

"I prefer a church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security," he wrote. "I do not want a church concerned with being at the center and then ends up by being caught up in a web of obsessions and procedures."..."

Lapeer, MI

#1031221 Nov 26, 2013
nj raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? That's exactly what religion does, eliminate free will. It's either GOD or the devils fault. Man is not accountable for anything in you folks eyes. Incase you did'nt know, research the apostle Paul's version of CHRISTIANITY! It definitly does'nt match the version you follow. You worship the emperor constatine.
Your clueless kind use Treasure Maps for kindling and then bemoan the fact that you're poor.

Then in walks the Magic Negro.....

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1031222 Nov 26, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
if God was around and in charge, a turd like Obama would never be President....unless God wanted to punish America...
Sometimes what seems like a burden ends up being a blessing.

Obama could be the result of America having turned away from God and rebelling against him or he could be the silver lining and a blessing.

If liberalism is defeated by Obama winning a second term, what better blessing and sliver lining could there possibly be?

It will be up to all Americans to decide where we go from there.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1031223 Nov 26, 2013
dont snow me wrote:
<quoted text>
Larry Craig said you need to get your teeth removed before your next "encounter" with him, fartsack.
lol! You and Craig.... meet regularly I take it son?
nj raider 1

Vineland, NJ

#1031224 Nov 26, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right about mankind seeking and pursuing God.
Even Indians and tribal people believe in the spirit world and some version of God.
But anyone who seeks him, finds him. That's been true for a long time too. When Christ came to us, he introduced him.
Do me a favor, show me where in the bible Jesus was for nearly 30 yrs. God's inspiration was;nt enough to document his life for 30 yrs huh? You worship contatine also. Jesus said " if you drink from my mouth, you will be like I, and I like you." Interpet that for me please. Also why Jesus himself said " most people won't understand his teachings, and why he spoke about the dead & sleep so much, pleasse!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1031225 Nov 26, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Pursuing God is one thing but misinterpreting what you find is another.
lol! But....!

“Although you'd love to watch me post something intelligent, alas, it will never happen.“- shinningelectr0n

“no one told me”

Denver

#1031226 Nov 26, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
Ah, What's in a Name? Obamacare is gone, the ACA is back.
The Lyin' King didn’t say “Obamacare” once during his nearly hourlong news conference last week, while he referred to the “Affordable Care Act” a dozen times.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi went so far as to correct David Gregory on “Meet the Press” Sunday on the proper terminology.
And White House talking points distributed to Democrats and obtained by POLITICO repeatedly refer to the Affordable Care Act in suggested sound bites, not Obamacare.
Bengazikare is the latest name, much more fitting.

Lapeer, MI

#1031227 Nov 26, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama could be the result of America having turned away from God and rebelling against him or he could be the silver lining and a blessing.
If liberalism is defeated by Obama winning a second term, what better blessing and sliver lining could there possibly be?
The darkest hour is just before dawn?

“no one told me”

Denver

#1031228 Nov 26, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Galt is homosexual unfriendly, i.e,. a big f*cking bigot.
we really don't care who sodomizes you, if you'd just get a job and give up your 3 Oblamaphones.
nj raider 1

Vineland, NJ

#1031229 Nov 26, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
there are "Americans" who welcome Islamic terrorists and who meet them in secret...doesn't mean that the country should tolerate them...
So exactly what do you call the Christian president that lead this Christian country into a sovereign country, and slaughtered millions of muslims? I forgot, you support and defend him like a good little Christian.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1031230 Nov 26, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
It never ceases to amaze me how you people really believe God is political and chooses sides...

The delusion is incredible....

“no one told me”

Denver

#1031231 Nov 26, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone with GD brain knew that policies would have to meet certain guidelines.
Everyone with GD brain knew there was a grandfather clause that allowed insurance companies to continue existing plans.
The problem with you right whiners is that you are dumber that sh*t.
If you had a plan that was next to nothing, certainly you knew that was no longer OK.
If you had a real plan, then yes the ACA did nothing to stop that.

Anyone with a GD brain[clearly not idiots like you] knew that the outfit that can't run the Post Office or the IRS properly could never run the healthcare system for 300 plus million people. Benagazikare will never work. You're an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr RetardedAsswipesT... 64,117
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 4 hr Amazing Skulduggery 3
The newest virus circulating is the UPS/Fed Ex... 4 hr Shoot Virus Perps 1
Cat's out of the bag. 9 hr Fun in Benghazi 1
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 11 hr OwnerScrewingPOSTERS 4
What if Ken Starr was RIGHT? 11 hr HMmmmmmmmm 1
What Happpened to the Wall? 13 hr Waldo 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages