Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1431413 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1017200 Nov 2, 2013
Mr Lib wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a matter of degree.
Yes, Democrats accept donations from big corporations, and return the favor.
But nothing like the GOP. Have you forgotten how MMS under GW Bush allowed oil companies to fill out their own inspection reports?
You would like us to forget that, wouldn't you?
Obama's bailout of the UAW pension fund at GM dwarfs all other government subsidies in the history of the country....

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1017201 Nov 2, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
you are free to finance your own religious schools....
Even at the risk of children receiving a poor education in the public schools?

Why do you want to pay for poor education?

(Guess I'm not saying good-night yet...)

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1017202 Nov 2, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing how you people still throw that crap around about the housing bubble without knowing a thing!
I'll tell the folks at Bloomberg Business they don't know "a thing" and you'll be right over to straighten them out. Fool.

Orlando, FL

#1017203 Nov 2, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
there should not be any free lunch program at all, regardless of the clothing preferences of the parents....
use the food stamp money for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, just like the middle-class kids....
Can't imagine how bad it is now. I left the teaching profession in the early 1990s.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1017204 Nov 2, 2013
Mr Lib wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Must I have a degree in economics to know the mountain of debt we have today began with the Reagan tax cuts and accelerated under the tax cuts of Bush?
FYI, I have two courses in college economics under my belt. It's not as though I'm totally ignorant of the subject. And you are no Paul Krugman.
I recall just the mention of "trickle down" economics was enough to make my instructors' eyeballs roll.
Well, they were right, weren't they?
one need not have a degree in economics to know not to spend money one does not have...

Orlando, FL

#1017205 Nov 2, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
when ObamaKKKare fails, as it will, the question is whether the Republicans will kill the turkey or cave in to nationalized medicine...
Republicans cave to nationalized medicine?

Bite your tongue! Republicans and, hopefully, enough enlightened Democrats are our last hope.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1017206 Nov 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even at the risk of children receiving a poor education in the public schools?
Why do you want to pay for poor education?
(Guess I'm not saying good-night yet...)
contrary to popular opinion, public schools function very well in most of the country, with union-controlled urban schools being a notable exception...

contrary to your opinion, many religious schools suck, as does much of home-schooling...

Bozeman, MT

#1017207 Nov 2, 2013
Mr Lib wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Must I have a degree in economics to know the mountain of debt we have today began with the Reagan tax cuts and accelerated under the tax cuts of Bush?
The debt began before any of us were born, but the "mountains" started to grow when LBJ declared "war on poverty" with his Great Society.

Orlando, FL

#1017209 Nov 2, 2013
killtaker wrote:
Way out there...
For vagina's everywhere...
"Look at Betty Friedan, one of the founders of '60s feminism. She never worked a day in her life, married a very wealthy man, wrote The Feminine Mystique in his mansion, had housemaids do the housework...and also had children. Exactly how was she not a traditional woman, except for being a insane leftist?"
http://uncabob.blogspot.com/
No surprise. Look at Al Gore. He leaves carbon footprints all over the place and lives in a mansion. He got rich doing exactly the opposite of what he preached.

Orlando, FL

#1017210 Nov 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Wear a helmet or in a crash you may go directly to the morgue.:-(
God Forbid
Take care on a motorcycle!
Peace
It's not for me. Might ride on the back on the rare occasion but will definitely be wearing a helmet too.

Bozeman, MT

#1017212 Nov 2, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
late night mumbo jumbo
One of the most clever and scathing instances of refuting I've ever seen.

Way to show no mercy, "LCNLin."

Orlando, FL

#1017213 Nov 2, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
contrary to popular opinion, public schools function very well in most of the country, with union-controlled urban schools being a notable exception...
contrary to your opinion, many religious schools suck, as does much of home-schooling...
Well, statistics would disagree with you about private schools and home schooling.

But you're right about union-controlled urban schools. The problem is union-controlled schools are nationwide.

Even if rural schools, small town schools and many small city schools aren't as doomed as inner city schools, unions have administrators under their thumbs and teachers feel like they're walking on eggshells in most all public schools - some worse than others.
Big Bubba Blackcock

Redlands, CA

#1017214 Nov 2, 2013
" if yous like yer doctor yous can keep yer doctor"

Orlando, FL

#1017216 Nov 2, 2013
Guess I'll say good-night now. I really am pooped.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1017217 Nov 2, 2013

Location hidden

#1017219 Nov 2, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
one need not have a degree in economics to know not to spend money one does not have...
everyone gets to be whatever they want here...
Economist...Lawyer....Philosop her...

I'm an Astronaut...

Location hidden

#1017220 Nov 2, 2013
Good Night Gracie...

Bozeman, MT

#1017221 Nov 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, statistics would disagree with you about private schools and home schooling.
But you're right about union-controlled urban schools. The problem is union-controlled schools are nationwide.
Even if rural schools, small town schools and many small city schools aren't as doomed as inner city schools, unions have administrators under their thumbs and teachers feel like they're walking on eggshells in most all public schools - some worse than others.
Apparently $70 Billion isn't enough. Arne wants even MORE...

Since Congress created the Department of Education under Jimmy Carter 30 years ago, American students have lost ground against other nations.

How bad is it? Last year, an international assessment showed that U.S. students ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math among 34 countries. This prompted U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan to say,“This is an absolute wake-up call for America.... We have to deal with the brutal truth. We have to get much more serious about investing in education.”

http://www.paducahsun.com/view/full_story_fre...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1017222 Nov 2, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
The debt began before any of us were born, but the "mountains" started to grow when LBJ declared "war on poverty" with his Great Society.
the war on poverty is a tremendous success, keeping people alive for generations in a permanent state of poverty....
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1017223 Nov 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
if your religious school teaches Biblical creation as factual, then your science program is a joke....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clinton foundation scam, gave 5.7%. That's horr... 34 min LYINgTHUgTRASH 12
last post wins! (Apr '13) 38 min Red_Forman 1,645
Clinton campaign dog story. 41 min A Funny One 3
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 48 min Earthling-1 61,454
News Chicago ranked as the best city for biking in t... 1 hr Dolly7837 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Sublime1 103,597
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Barmsweb 72,037
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Dr Guru 225,422

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages