Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1434157 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1013213 Oct 28, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
You can fix a f*cked up website but you can't fix Stupid.
The Oval Office is a Daycare Center for the Boy Messiah.
Plot Thickens: Mystery ObamaCare Covergirl Erased from Website

The mystery of the ObamaCare covergirl took yet another strange turn over the weekend, when her smiling face was replaced by a far less intriguing quartet of icons.

The smiling brunette touched off a frenzied hunt, especially after White House officials refused to divulge her name. As frustration with the beleaguered Healthcare.gov website mounted, she became known on the Internet as “Glitch Girl.”

First O'bama ruined O'prah and now this poor girl. O'bama ruined another person's career. But he doesn't care. O'bamacare.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1013214 Oct 28, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your desire to see the Affordable Care Act fail has blinded you to the truth....young people understand the importance of health insurance, even if you don't.
“The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.”
&#8213; James Branch Cabell, The Silver Stallion
Oh they understand. They'd rather buy some beer or weed. Don't you know, the young think they are invincible. They will snub this turkey like we all said they would.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#1013215 Oct 28, 2013
Yeah wrote:
A fine example of corporate consciousness that republicans support....
"Calif. Elderly Care Home Closes; 14 Patients Left
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. October 28, 2013 (AP)
Associated Press
Detectives are investigating an assisted living facility in the San Francisco Bay Area that closed last week and left behind 14 sick and elderly patients, a spokesman for the Alameda County Sheriff's Office said.
Paramedics called to the Valley Manor Residential Care center in Castro Valley found a notice on the door from the state Department of Social Services ordering the site to be closed.
The San Francisco Chronicle and other media outlets reported ( http://bit.ly/1dyvplR ) that paramedics also found bedridden patients attended by a handful of staff members who stayed to help them, despite not being paid. The facility closed Thursday.
Sheriff's Sgt. J.D. Nelson said the staff members who stayed included a cook, janitor and a single caretaker who felt bad for the patients.
Nelson said an investigation could potentially result in elder abuse charges.
The patients were transported to other homes Saturday for temporary care while new places are found for them.
The facility came to the attention of law enforcement that day after paramedics responding to an emergency call found a small staff struggling to care for the residents, Nelson said.
Michael Weston, a spokesman for the California Department of Social Services, told KPIX-TV that social service officials had checked on the facility and were told the patients would be cared for over the weekend.
"I can tell you that the department has been engaged with this facility for quite a while and there is a history of concerns," Weston said. "Apparently, what happened is that the facility staff felt that they were starting to lose the capability to care for these individuals, so they called for help."..."
dipsht

"Michael Weston, the spokesman for the Department of Social Services, acknowledged that the state was responsible for overseeing operations and monitoring the shutdown after the home's license was suspended indefinitely"
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1013216 Oct 28, 2013
Thousands of Californians have affordable healthcare plans cancelled--thanks to Obammycare.

"ALL WE'VE BEEN HEARING THE LAST THREE YEARS IS IF YOU LIKE YOUR POLICY YOU CAN KEEP IT," SAID DEBORAH CAVALLARO, A REAL ESTATE AGENT IN WESTCHESTER. "I'M INFURIATED BECAUSE I WAS LIED TO."

All these cancellations were prompted by a requirement from Covered California, the state's new insurance exchange. The state didn't want to give insurance companies the opportunity to hold on to the healthiest patients for up to a year, keeping them out of the larger risk pool that will influence future rates.

Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California, said the state and insurers agreed that clearing the decks by Jan. 1 was best for consumers in the long run despite the initial disruption. Lee has heard the complaints — even from his sister-in-law, who recently groused about her 50% rate increase.

"People could have kept their cheaper, bad coverage, and those people wouldn't have been part of the common risk pool," Lee said. "We are better off all being in this together. We are transforming the individual market and making it better."

Lee said consumers need to consider all their options. They don't have to stick with their current company, and higher premiums are only part of the cost equation. Lee said some of these rate hikes will be partially offset by smaller deductibles and lower limits on out-of-pocket medical expenses in the new plans.

Still, many are frustrated at being forced to give up the plans they have now. They frequently cite assurances given by Obama that Americans could hold on to their health insurance despite the massive overhaul.

"All we've been hearing the last three years is if you like your policy you can keep it," said Deborah Cavallaro, a real estate agent in Westchester. "I'm infuriated because I was lied to."

Supporters of the healthcare law say Obama was referring to people who are insured through their employers or through government programs such as Medicare. Still, they acknowledge the confusion and anger from individual policyholders who are being forced to change.

Cavallaro received her cancellation notice from Anthem Blue Cross this month. The company said a comparable Bronze plan would cost her 65% more, or $484 a month. She doubts she'll qualify for much in premium subsidies, if any. Regardless, she resents losing the ability to pick and choose the benefits she wants to pay for.

"I just won't have health insurance because I can't pay this increase," she said.

Most Americans are required to have health coverage starting next year or pay a fine of $95 per adult or 1% of their income, whichever is greater. The fines increase over time.
Laney F

Jamaica, NY

#1013217 Oct 28, 2013
A number of factors are driving up rates. In a report this year, consultants hired by the state said the influx of sicker patients as a result of guaranteed coverage was the biggest single reason for higher premiums. Bob Cosway, a principal and consulting actuary at Milliman Inc. in San Diego, estimated that the average individual premium in 2014 will rise 27% because of that difference alone.

Individual policies must also cover a higher percentage of overall medical costs and include 10 "essential health benefits," such as prescription drugs and mental health services. The aim is to fill gaps in coverage and provide consumers more peace of mind. But those expanded benefits have to be paid for with higher premiums.

The federal law also adjusts how rates are set by age, a change that gives older consumers a break and shifts more costs to younger people. Rates by age can vary by only 3 to 1 starting next year as opposed to 6 to 1 in some cases now in California. People in their 20s just starting their careers may earn so little they qualify for subsidies. But that might not be the case for consumers who are slightly older and earning more.

"It has the effect of benefiting people in their 50s and 60s and shifting costs to people in their 20s and 30s," said Patrick Johnston, president of the California Assn. of Health Plans. "Benefits are being increased for all, but it's not government subsidies for all. Some will pay more."

Rates would be going up regardless of changes from the healthcare expansion. The average individual premium will climb 9% next year because of rising healthcare costs and increases in medical provider reimbursement, according to Milliman's estimates.

Some consumer groups have questioned whether insurers are inflating their rates under the guise of the healthcare law changes.

"We believe the prices are higher than they should be," said Jamie Court, president of Consumer Watchdog, a Santa Monica advocacy group. "This is giving a bad name to the Affordable Care Act."

State regulators checked the insurance companies' math and underlying cost projections for next year, but they don't have the authority to deny increases. Under federal rules, insurers can be ordered to issue rebates if they don't spend a minimum amount of every premium dollar on customers' medical care.

"The rates aren't going up because insurance companies are pocketing more money," Lee said. "That is what it takes to pay the claims and deliver the healthcare."

Javier Lopez, 38 and a self-employed aerospace engineer in Huntington Beach, pays about $750 a month for an Anthem Blue Cross plan for his family of four. His premiums may rise nearly 20% next year for a new policy because his current plan is being phased out.

Lopez says he's willing to absorb that one-year jump if it means the government can rein in future rate hikes.

"I'm hoping with this reform," Lopez said, "we won't see big increases year after year."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-health-...

Poor Javier...LOL...yes, as soon as they get rid of the website glitches, the GOVERNMENT will keep the costs down. Right...

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1013218 Oct 28, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>if you think calling me a 'petite Hymie' bothers me--it doesn't--- I expect you do understand that is what Jesse Jackson the Reverend and mentor to Michelle O'bama, called all Jews-it is no wonder that we have learned in the last day that Moocchie O'bama sponsered Palestinian terrorist to speak at her college. The full circle of blacks hate Jews. I agree with the statement that you are black. What a shame to be you. A stain on the black society as a whole.
Now, why in the world would I think that calling you a "petite Hymie" would bother you? The only reason I use that term is because you said it a term you have used to refer to yourself.(It's the very reason I put it in caps...it's YOUR quote).

It would certainly be inappropriate for me to use such a term if you hadn't already embraced it as some kind of badge of honor. By using it, I am merely letting others get a glimpse of how you see yourself.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013219 Oct 28, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
The government doesn't "develop" new drugs, they fund the research to do so. And there are too many new drugs to mention so here is just a couple examples:
Last year, the Department of Housing & Human Services's National Institute on Aging (N.I.H.) awarded $16 million for the testing of a new anti-amyloid drug called Crenezumab which treats Alzheimers.
Crenezumab is manufactured by Genentech, which is financing the largest portion of that $100 million trial.
Last monthy, "The N.I.H. also awarded $1.5 million to a trial of three anti-amyloid drugs on people with rare gene mutations that lead to early-onset Alzheimer’s. The trial, run by the Dominantly Inherited Alzheimer Network led by Dr. Randall Bateman of Washington University in St. Louis, may receive a total of $6 million over four years."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/health/33-m...
(There have been five new drugs approved by the FDA just since October 14th.)
http://www.fda.gov/drugs/newsevents/ucm130961...
Why does a company like Genentech need a government subsidy to test their products?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013220 Oct 28, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree with that statement but that isn't what the issue was all about. It was about lenders arbitrarily redlining an area regardless of whether or not homeowners were a credit risk.
properties in crime-ridden, decaying neighborhoods are poor credit risks....

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1013221 Oct 28, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Oh they understand. They'd rather buy some beer or weed. Don't you know, the young think they are invincible. They will snub this turkey like we all said they would.
no one was worried about insurance growing up. We never said we could hardly wait until we could buy insurance. Young adults haven't changed in the respect that they want items such as cars, shoes, new clothes, furniture and money in their pockets. They want to travel, go for a drive-go to dinner-- Pay for their date--they don't care about insurance and they certainly are not going to take away from items they want, to purchase insurance.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1013222 Oct 28, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox IN
then
Fox Out
Fox this...

The difference between past Republican's version of ACA and Obamacare is the latter creates a powerful regulatory mechanism (the exchanges) that mandates comprehensive coverage - among other changes.

Wrote one Republican, "Conservatives do not (or should not) oppose Obamacare because they want fewer Americans to receive health care, but making this clear requires an alternative that covers more people at a lower cost, without all the regulations, taxes and mandates of the current system."

Prior GOP pushes at health care reform show an overlap in ideas between the parties and some now say that parts of ObamaCare would most likely show up in a Republican-penned plan.

"If you take a step back, you see that there is a history of Republicans supporting ideologies parallel to what you see in the Affordable Care Act," David Kendall, a senior fellow for health and fiscal policy at Third Way, told FoxNews.com .

According to a May 2012 Kaiser Health poll, popular provisions of ObamaCare favored by both parties include letting children stay on their parents' plans until they turn 26 and providing subsidies on a sliding scale to those who can't afford insurance.

One of the biggest selling points in ObamaCare -- as well as in the GOP proposal -- is the coverage of adults with pre-existing conditions.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/26/ob...

Like I've been trying to tell you...fair and balanced.

It's just the way Democrats went about hogging the whole thing and passing a massive piece of legislation without getting even one Republican on board and not reading it first that pissed a lot of people off.

And, of course, the incompetent website debacle.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013223 Oct 28, 2013
SUCK IT UP DEM VOTERS wrote:
By Chad Terhune
October 26, 2013, 7:42 p.m.
Thousands of Californians are discovering what Obamacare will cost them — and many don't like what they see.
These middle-class consumers are staring at hefty increases on their insurance bills as the overhaul remakes the healthcare market. Their rates are rising in large part to help offset the higher costs of covering sicker, poorer people who have been shut out of the system for years.
Although recent criticism of the healthcare law has focused on website glitches and early enrollment snags, experts say sharp price increases for individual policies have the greatest potential to erode public support for President Obama's signature legislation.
PHOTOS: The battle over Obamacare
"This is when the actual sticker shock comes into play for people," said Gerald Kominski, director of the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. "There are winners and losers under the Affordable Care Act."
Fullerton resident Jennifer Harris thought she had a great deal, paying $98 a month for an individual plan through Health Net Inc. She got a rude surprise this month when the company said it would cancel her policy at the end of this year. Her current plan does not conform with the new federal rules, which require more generous levels of coverage.
Now Harris, a self-employed lawyer, must shop for replacement insurance. The cheapest plan she has found will cost her $238 a month. She and her husband don't qualify for federal premium subsidies because they earn too much money, about $80,000 a year combined.
the sole purpose of ObamaKKKare is wealth redistribution...hence lawyers like Jennifer Harris must be forced at the point of a gun to subsidize the coverage of others...no more, no less...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013224 Oct 28, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet are you living on Carol?
Washington (CNN)-- In a sign of the political hangover congressional Republicans are suffering in the wake of the government shutdown, three-quarters of Americans in a new national poll say that most GOP members of Congress don't deserve to be re-elected.
I highly doubt that the GOP is going to take the needed steps to improve their image which will involve throwing the extreme right under the bus.
The Affordable Care Act is already working: Intense price competition among health plans in the marketplaces for individuals has lowered premiums below projected levels. As a result of these lower premiums, the federal government will save about $190 billion over the next 10 years.
opinion of Republicans over the shutdown matters little....

the DemoKKKrats are now permanently linked to ObamaKKKare and their electoral fate rests almost entirely on that boondoggle...

something that Romney grossly failed to exploit...
WOW

New York, NY

#1013225 Oct 28, 2013
OBAMA and JAY Z got alot in common best friendslolololhahahahaha they are for SELF they dont care about things that affect the BLACK COMMUNITY lololohahahahahahaha
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013226 Oct 28, 2013
Emeem wrote:
Just watched CBS do a piece on a woman complaining that her rates were going up. Then at the end as almost an afterthought the CBS commentator mentioned that government credits hadn't been figured in because the lady was having trouble logging on.
taxpayer subsidies, not government credits...

Orlando, FL

#1013227 Oct 28, 2013
LCN, what's even more revealing than the Fox News article I just posted being fair and balanced about Republicans' past version of ACA and Obamacare is Democrats were the ones rejecting attempts by Republicans to pass something similar under Nixon and Bush, Sr.

Seems the door of politics swings both ways.

Pretty sure Republicans tried to get some Democrats on board and welcomed their input when a better version could have been passed with bipartisan support decades ago.

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1013228 Oct 28, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Costs have always gone up. Now, they will go up slower. My husband and I will see an increase of $18 a month starting in January...bfd.
bfd for you, but don't pretend to speak for the entire population.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013229 Oct 28, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>None will get new coverage at a lower price and that is what they are bitching about after Obamacare has raised their cost.
quality is much more important than cost, and ObamaKKKare is Bangladesh medicine...the networks include mostly doctors and hospitals that nobody wants...

Orlando, FL

#1013230 Oct 28, 2013
Prior GOP pushes at health care reform show an overlap in ideas between the parties and some now say that parts of ObamaCare would most likely show up in a Republican-penned plan.

According to a May 2012 Kaiser Health poll, popular provisions of ObamaCare favored by both parties include letting children stay on their parents' plans until they turn 26 and providing subsidies on a sliding scale to those who can't afford insurance.

One of the biggest selling points in ObamaCare -- as well as in the GOP proposal -- is the coverage of adults with pre-existing conditions.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/26/ob...

Fair and balanced.

Too bad Democrats rejected health care reform under Republican leadership and pushed them completely out of the way this time.

And went about it all wrong.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1013231 Oct 28, 2013
tell it like it is wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is 100 percent white?
lots of people....

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

#1013232 Oct 28, 2013
"If insurers are to be able to cover millions of now-uninsured Americans, as the law intends, the cost of insuring chronic users of the system must be offset by the presence in the system of 2.7 million people between the ages of 18 and 35"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 25 min CrunchyBacon 103,670
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Susanm 9,564
Pray for civilians in Syria 1 hr Readstoomuch 1
How Many Older Fathers Can You Name? 1 hr Readstoomuch 3
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques in Ottawa 225,579
News LOL! Chicago Tribune tells its readers to vote ... 2 hr Oliver 7
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr GEORGIA 3,214

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages