Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1007972 Oct 20, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>It reminds me of a science fiction story I read several years ago. The nearly brain dead were allowed to sit as heads of state and corporations while a few geniuses actually did all the work that kept the the lights on and the species from extinction. It seems if you wait long enough even the most ludicrous fiction can become fact. I feel for the geniuses of the future. ;)
Look at the brain dead thing in the Oval Office screwing things up for the working geniuses who elected him.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#1007973 Oct 20, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Yer killin' me here...
Sorry, ma'am:]
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1007974 Oct 20, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>"Most" people *get* that corporate heads tend to settle and pay out instead of serving time for any crimes committed, whether deliberate intent is proven, or not. Everybody knows that the wealthy rarely ever get the punishment they deserve for their crimes.
Speaking of which...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/...

"JPMorgan, DOJ near $13B settlement
JPMorgan Chase settlements, fines since mid-2010

Doug Stanglin and Kevin McCoy, USA TODAY 7:23 p.m. EDT October 19, 2013
The tentative deal would not release the bank from any potential criminal liability
JP Morgan

(Photo: Emmanuel Dunand, AFP/Getty Images)
SHARE 414 CONNECT 64 TWEET 43 COMMENTEMAILMORE

JP Morgan Chase, the largest U.S. bank, has reached a tentative $13 billion deal with the Justice Department in a settlement of a wide-range of issues related to the sale of bad mortgages, according to several media reports.

Reports by the Associated Press, TheWall Street Journal and Bloomberg News, cited unnamed sources with knowledge of the negotiations, indicating that the record-size deal, if finalized, would not release the bank from potential criminal liability.

The Journal quoted "a person familiar with the decision" Saturday as saying the settlement would cover outstanding investigations of the bank's residential mortgage-backed securities business.

Bloomberg.com carries a similar report, also quoting a person familiar with the settlement negotiations, and calls the deal a "tentative resolution of all civil mortgage-bond related matters.

Bloomberg notes, however, that the tentative pact does not include a release of potential criminal liability. The report quotes the unidentified source as saying the proposed accord will probably require the bank to cooperate in criminal investigations of individuals tied to wrongdoing associated with the bank's mortgage practices.

A breakthrough in long-running talks came Friday night, after U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon spoke by phone and the bank agreed to leave criminal liability out of the deal, a source familiar with the talks tells Reuters.

Bloomberg reports that the deal would include a tentative $4 billion settlement with the Federal Housing Finance Agency over the bank's sale of mortgage-backed securities.

The tentative agreement would include $9 billion in fines and $4 billion in relief for struggling homeowners, The New York Times reported, citing people briefed on the talks...."

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1007975 Oct 20, 2013
Some random economist on his retirement...

Federal dollars to the rescue!!!!!

"Considering that the pension fund needs $118 billion to be fully funded,$60 billion in the hole is kind of a lot. I love the way that the solution is to not put any more money into the pension plan until 2012. No doubt, the Obama Administration's "economic recovery package" will bring Federal tax money to the rescue. I am convinced that those of us who save for our own retirement are going to be taxed to pay for other people's defined-benefit plans. For some reason, this crime bothers me even more than most other government crimes"

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/11/w...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1007976 Oct 20, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>The economy is on fire, with the exception of the housing related industries.
Gasoline prices are a significant factor in month to month retail prices__gasoline prices are dropping and might drop under $3 pg UR nationally by the end of the year.
But you just keep bullshtn, and just I'll keep ROFLMAO.
the average price of regular gas in Los Angeles County is $3.82....

Since: Apr 09

Elmont, Long Island NY

#1007977 Oct 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
It starts with teaching children by example.
Note: obesity is a national epidemic for both adults and children.
So much for teaching our children.
Conservatives are an engimatic group to me. They admit that obesity is a national epidemic, but when Michele Obama starts a campaign to convince parents and kids to exercise and eat healthy she's condemned as some food Nazi.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Nancy Reagan's
JUST SAY NO campaign
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1007978 Oct 20, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
How so? It is completely logical. Anyone who has been to an emergency room will tell you it is not a place where anyone with insurance would choose to be unless it is a true emergency. People with colds and fever will now be calling their doctor. If for no other reason than to avoid paying the $50 -$100 co-pay for an emergency room visit. I think it is illogical to believe they would do otherwise.
gotta get off their ass and find a doctor first....

and then get an appointment....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1007979 Oct 20, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the brain dead thing in the Oval Office screwing things up for the working geniuses who elected him.
lol! I know. It's such a MAJOR improvement over that last GOP president isn't it?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1007980 Oct 20, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
interesting that a liberal like you drives only gas hogs....
Cadillacs are for pimps and the nouveau riche...sometimes called n***** rich...
unlike GM products, Hondas last forever...
That's old timer talk__back when Caddie's were spayshul. Today they're pretty decent cars compared to most Japanese competitive products and all American made competitors. Still, I don't want one__nor do I want anymore Honda vehicles.

The Ford Edge is a sweet SUV and far more useful than the Honda/Acura entries. For smallish, they're all pretty good__the little Mazda 3 looks like fun though.

Location hidden

#1007981 Oct 20, 2013
Those evil bankers...

Fear is crowd control...

From 2008

"If anyone has an explanation other than trust (a belief the US government might default on full faith and credit obligations) or liquidity let me know. If Brad Delong is right – and it is about capital then this should be able to be levered 5 times as there should be little capital risk.

But I don’t think it is about capital – it is about something else – something altogether darker and harder to solve"

http://brontecapital.blogspot.com/2008/11/pro...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1007982 Oct 20, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently Galt & Flacktard have already made their January heath insurance payments?
of course not, nobody would, but the insurance is committed...

unlike ObamaKKKare...

Location hidden

#1007983 Oct 20, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>You should ask Lois....
I'd rather converse with a wicked witch...

Location hidden

#1007984 Oct 20, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, it's worked in every other country for the past 40 yrs but somehow must fail in the USA. Those tea baggers need to learn to walk forward instead backwards all the time, at least they could see where they are going if nothing else.
You cannot polish a turd...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1007985 Oct 20, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
The truly informed among us? LOL! Truly informed? What does that mean? Those who swallow everything the Obama administration feeds them?
In other words you've actually bought into the left's lies about republicans "wanting dirty air and water, starving the elderly and children, and letting those without health insurance die in the streets? Is that your definition of "truly informed"?
Just admit it - you want a government which will take as much as they possibly can from those who have and give it to those who have not.
Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
By WARREN E. BUFFETT
Published: August 14, 2011

OUR leaders have asked for “shared sacrifice.” But when they did the asking, they spared me. I checked with my mega-rich friends to learn what pain they were expecting. They, too, were left untouched.

While the poor and middle class fight for us in Afghanistan, and while most Americans struggle to make ends meet, we mega-rich continue to get our extraordinary tax breaks. Some of us are investment managers who earn billions from our daily labors but are allowed to classify our income as “carried interest,” thereby getting a bargain 15 percent tax rate. Others own stock index futures for 10 minutes and have 60 percent of their gain taxed at 15 percent, as if they’d been long-term investors.

These and other blessings are showered upon us by legislators in Washington who feel compelled to protect us, much as if we were spotted owls or some other endangered species. It’s nice to have friends in high places.

Last year my federal tax bill — the income tax I paid, as well as payroll taxes paid by me and on my behalf — was $6,938,744. That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income — and that’s actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/opinion/sto...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1007986 Oct 20, 2013
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather converse with a wicked witch...
Then you'd get a double benefit son!

Location hidden

#1007987 Oct 20, 2013
Rep Paul...

"We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990&#8242;s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. I see a consumption tax as being a little better than the personal income tax, and I would vote for the Fair-Tax if it came up in the House of Representatives, but it is not my goal. We can do better."

http://freakonomics.com/2008/11/20/ron-paul-a...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1007988 Oct 20, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
At least the majority of General Motors' shareholders are in the United States. Honda has approximately 28,000 U.S.-based workers compared to GM's 80,000. I believe in supporting America as much as possible.
Given that GM has 212,000 employees worldwide, hardly sounds like an "American" company....

the way to support America is to push companies like GM to improve their products.....starting by making them durable....but that would reduce sales and employment because cars would last longer...

Toyota and Honda products are easily good for 200K miles... most GM products are dead at 100K miles, when Toyotas and Hondas are just getting broken in....

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1007989 Oct 20, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
gotta get off their ass and find a doctor first....
and then get an appointment....
You are such a pessimist. I'm an optimist. Guess we are destined to agree to disagree.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1007990 Oct 20, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not "committed" just because you register.
you're in the system, never to escape...

some people value privacy, others worship the government...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#1007991 Oct 20, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
the average price of regular gas in Los Angeles County is $3.82....
What's your need to lie Galt?

CA is higher than the nation and somewhere in Texas is lower than the nation BFD.

The national average for ULR could be under $3.00 by the end of this year. I paid $3.15.9 last week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Cheech the Conser... 49,244
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 50 min Deputy Dog 98,857
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 53 min JOEL 71,130
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 1 hr Le Jimbo 20
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 181,892
Abby 12-22 1 hr cheluzal 3
Amy 12-22 1 hr cheluzal 8
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:03 am PST

NBC Sports 1:03AM
Romo, Cowboys are in after 42-7 rout of Colts - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:46 AM
Can Hamilton Fix Colts Offense for Playoff Run?
NBC Sports 8:09 AM
Marc Trestman: We'll talk about whether Jimmy Clausen starts again
NFL 8:57 AM
Dominic Raiola says Ferguson stomp was unintentional
NBC Sports10:07 AM
Robbie Gould questions benching of Jay Cutler