Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1348492 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1005218 Oct 16, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
That is very true. There ideology closely aligns with Progressiveness viewpoints with that exception.
No proof again son?

wow. Aren't you a hypocrite now... or is that again?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1005219 Oct 16, 2013
Stop Fretting: The Debt-Ceiling Crisis Is Over!

""If you’re reading the newspapers just now to get caught up on the debt-ceiling crisis, you may have the impression that events are now spinning utterly out of control.“A day that was supposed to bring Washington to the edge of resolving the fiscal showdown instead seemed to bring chaos and retrenching,” reports the New York Times.“A campaign to persuade House Republicans to lift the federal debt limit collapsed in humiliating failure Tuesday, leaving Washington careering toward a critical deadline just two days away, with no clear plan for avoiding a government default,” warns the Washington Post.

This is the opposite of what is going on. In fact, the events of yesterday amounted to utter success. The debt ceiling will be lifted, the crisis is over, and so, too, may be the larger Constitutional struggle it unleashed.

The mistaken impression of chaos and collapse was left by the collapse of the House Republican plan. But the House Republicans are the hostage-takers. It’s good that their plan collapsed. Their plan was to insist on winning at least some concession from President Obama, testing his resolve not to be extorted, and, at least, pushing the crisis until the last moment.

The House bill failed because it relied entirely on Republican votes, which requires near-unanimity from the Republican caucus. A small number of Republicans so fanatical they refuse to even work within existing political constraints, and therefore regularly undermine the right’s leverage, refused to support any bill. Having spent the day trying to cobble together even a tiny ransom demand, House GOP leaders simply gave up.“It’s all over. We’ll take the Senate deal,” a senior Republican aide told National Review’s Jonathan Strong.""

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1005220 Oct 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
find a new poll or 2 and reevaluate.
Tell you what...let's not be premature just yet about polls.

Let's wait until...let's say...August of next year.

Who knows? Maybe Obamacare will be a smash hit. SRO.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1005221 Oct 16, 2013
People in Washington might be shocked by how little the rest of us give a shit about their BIG DRAMA.

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1005222 Oct 16, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
how did Ted Cruz get into congress? He won an election, stupid fck.
what did he run on? Defund obamacare, stupid fck.
he's doing what his constituents put him there to do, stupid fck.
One seat?

Elections. Note that last letter "s". It means you need to win enough elections so a majority in both houses can vote repeal it & then either win the White House or enough seats to over ride a veto.

Ted ran on this & who cares if he works to repeal; it on the floor with a bill.

But he isn't. He this threatening to harm the country if he doesn't get it done.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1005223 Oct 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
but as i'm sure you know by now, Obamacare will reduce the already falling deficit.
Didn't they get caught trying to spend the same $700 billion in two places? Yep I believe so. May look it up.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#1005224 Oct 16, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
the 'lame duck' just finished destroying the Tealiban.
Not bad for a lame duck!! He made the lame nitwits like you look truly foolish.
Continue your whine. wawawawawawawa
Sooo true no one whines like a bagger, now it's on to another conspiracy.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#1005225 Oct 16, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Ever hear of e Weimar Republic?
Cons figured prominently there.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1005226 Oct 16, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>More jibberish. Why was Stevens in Benghazi with only one member of his security team and why hasn't that member, Scott Strickland, called to testify? Why did Petreaus testify behind closed doors and his testimony sealed. Why did Petreaus's bj girl tell a group that the CIA was conducting a war in Libya and that the annex was frequently used to house prisoners? Why has she been subpoenaed to testify?
I told you once that you don't have the knowledge to discuss these sorts of of matters intelligently__worse you're not willing to follow the facts preferring to repeat the same lies.
Benghazi was the central operations point for Obama to ship arms to Al Qaeda in Syria.
Stevens didn't have security because his repeated requests for additional security had been repeatedly denied by Hillary.

Was Obama involved in a conspiracy to kill the US Ambassador to Libya?

Location hidden

#1005227 Oct 16, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what they're counting on. It's also one of the many promises made by Obama back in 2009.
Let's just hope he can keep this one. The other ones have been proven to be lies.
Your side overplayed their hand and lost - badly.

Now they should focus on improving Obamacare, which is needed.

Nobody ever said it was perfect, but the American people completely rejected the idea of repealing it.

They turned on Rmoney for suggesting it, and they turned on the Tealiban for trying it now.

Now all should work together to make national health insurance a reality, like it is in Israel and all other major industrial nations.

It's not going away. Work to improve it.

Your side lost decisively.

Deal with it.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#1005228 Oct 16, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
So?
Today they are unhappy with the shut down.
Tomorrow they will continue to be unhappy with Obamacare.
The first one will be resolved; the second one remains as a thorn.
God you sound more and more like Kermit the frog every day..Ribbit, Ribbit. Get a life loser. Your party said all of the very same things about SS.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1005229 Oct 16, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>That's an interesting story in USA, not sure how the right wing blogs spun it. It was a state run exchange btw and through persistence Janice Baker, who had some preexisting conditions, was able to become Delaware's first enrollee at a savings of $150 per month vs her previous plan.
She's pleased.
the woman is paying $700 per month instead of $850...with no mention of the coverage difference...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1005230 Oct 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
but as i'm sure you know by now, Obamacare will reduce the already falling deficit.
Yeah, sure it will.

August 17, 2012 4:00 AM
Spending $716 Billion, Twice
Time for an honest debate on Medicare.
By Grace-Marie Turner

The issue of $716 billion in spending cuts to Medicare has taken center stage, with accusations flying about who is raiding Medicare and pushing Granny off the cliff.

So here are the facts:

In 1997, the Republican Congress passed, and President Bill Clinton signed, the Balanced Budget Act (BBA), which gradually reduced payments to Medicare providers as part of a plan to reduce overall federal spending. The key to the policy is the Sustainable Growth Rate, which requires the government to adjust payments for physician services each year so that growth in Medicare spending does not exceed the growth of GDP.

But Medicare’s fee-for-service model works at cross-purposes with this policy, and incentivizes doctors to bill for more and more services, driving up Medicare spending to higher levels year after year. Further, each time the payment cuts are about to be triggered, doctors swarm Capitol Hill to get Congress to postpone them. At first, the payment cuts would have been just 1 or 2 percent if doctors hadn’t succeeded in killing them. But over time they have accumulated, and now doctors would be paid 27 percent less for treating Medicare patients if the originally intended cuts had gone into effect. And the cuts would continue in perpetuity.

Doctors say these payment reductions would cripple their practices and make it difficult for them to see Medicare patients, especially since Medicare already pays doctors less than private plans.

The American Medical Association wants a permanent “doc fix” that would end the threat of these cuts, and the fix was the main demand the AMA made when it was at the negotiating table over Obamacare. The White House promised the fix, but reneged at the last minute. The doc fix was yanked from the bill, largely because of its $208 billion price tag. Astonishingly, and much to the dismay of doctors across the country, the AMA endorsed Obamacare anyway, giving the bill an important push over the finish line.

Last month, following the Supreme Court’s disastrous decision about Obamacare, the Congressional Budget Office recalculated the ten-year cost of the health-overhaul law to determine what the court’s decision would mean to the overall cost of the law. The CBO concluded that the cuts to Medicare now total $716 billion over 10 years — chiefly because the ten-year window is moved three years into the future and, as health costs grow every year, so does Medicare spending.(The law contains other Medicare payment reductions as well.)

The president’s plan to “save” Medicare relies primarily on paying doctors and hospitals less and less by keeping in place the 1997 trajectory for spending cuts. According to Medicare actuaries, this would mean that 40 percent of providers eventually will either go bankrupt or stop seeing Medicare patients altogether.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1005231 Oct 16, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
You just keep on laughing. My neighbor just got a letter Saturday from his employer saying his company is dropping health care coverage and his hours are being cut back. He blames Obama.
You must be proud!
My husband's company recently cut back on everyone's overtime too.

Now I'm waiting for the letter to say I'm no longer covered under his insurance.

Who's singing 'Happy Days Are Here Again' in the background?

Nevermind. It's sonic and Lily.
Grey Ghost

Partlow, VA

#1005232 Oct 16, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Your out your mind. That thing will put the debt on steroids.
Your out your mind..W.Va educated...I'll bet you are a tubba also huh Bubba?

Since: May 11

Chambersburg, PA

#1005233 Oct 16, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>And Bill Clinton went AWAL--and O'bama never signed up. Why? because he was above the law? we were in the Iran crisis then, or did you forget about those nasty muzzies?

Obama registered for the draft.

There was no active draft when Obama was of age. Draft ended in 1973 - Obama was 12.

You really are dumber than sh*t.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1005234 Oct 16, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! I don't need to son.
That's not my claim it's computer generated.... it's YOURS.
So I'm still waiting for you my little lying idiot!
Please note: I am calling you a liar son!
Since you don't keep up with these things, the signature of the mother is obviously computer generated. How about you look at the signature of the mother, and you tell us how a human hand can have the normal change in thickness and contrast of the script as the force on the pen point changes as the angle of the pen changes in the human hand while writing for the first half of the signature, and what is obviously a constant thickness and contrast computer generated script for the last half of the signature.

You never explained, for one example, how a computer generated signature got on a supposed "birth certificate" generated in 1961.
Like I say to the television when one of those ghosts-are-real shows are on, show me the ghost.
Show me the computer from 1961.

Location hidden

#1005235 Oct 16, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Galt...don't start coming across like Lily.
But I'm assuming your blanket assessment includes all those on both sides of the aisle?
What's funny is Islam is the religion most intolerant of abortion and gays.
But Lily would defend Muslims until her last breath.
I'm with you on this issue.

Evangelicals are as conservative as it gets, with the abortion issue driving them.

It's funny how religious crazies of all stripes, from Evangelicals to Muslims to Catholics, are eager to strip their fellow citizens of their civil rights, based on their beliefs..

Even those who do not share their religious beliefs have their rights taken away due to the zealotry of the religious fascists.

Yes, fascists. Muslim fascists, evangelical fascists, Catholic fascists.

Yet you whine about a make believe 'war on Christmas', as you eagerly try to steal your fellow citizens rights.

It's both sad and pathetic.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1005236 Oct 16, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
who won't be voting for conservatives anymore.
keep up the good work baggers!
Conservative candidates will be far stronger when freed of the radical anti-abortionists...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1005237 Oct 16, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Galt...don't start coming across like Lily.
But I'm assuming your blanket assessment includes all those on both sides of the aisle?
What's funny is Islam is the religion most intolerant of abortion and gays.
But Lily would defend Muslims until her last breath.
Evangelical Christians place more importance on abortion than on taxes and government debt.

They also stayed home in 2012 because of religious bigotry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dr Phil 207,695
Earning money 14 min forexspn 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 42 min David 101,439
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr PEllen 7,335
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr PEllen 5,657
How do you find out which Forex pair and time f... 2 hr Tim 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr tina anne 57,330
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages