Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1264689 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

NJ raider 1

Newark, NJ

#1001867 Oct 12, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the whole problem, isn't it? When Obama proclaimed "I won" after his first election, he thought it meant he ruled over us. He never connected leadership with uniting and bringing together.
This has been evident throughout his entire presidency.
Obama's ego and tunnel vision coupled with his far left liberal ideology is why we're here. He has no interest in uniting and bringing together. His desire is to rule by dividing and conquering.
This, too, has been evident throughout his entire presidency.
Losing bitters the soul! You're beginning to sound as bad as the gays. You can't accept losing so you try to redefine words. The President=Commander & Chief=Leader of the free world! President, commander, chief, leader, all one in the same. You can miss me with that unity bullshit. This country has never been united, that's the whole purpose of a 2 party system. If it were, you wouldn't be on here lying everyday. We would all be seeing eye to eye. You are the same people that give Lincoln so much credit but, when it all boils down, he chose sides. Again, miss me with that unity bullshit!
LOL

UK

#1001868 Oct 12, 2013
LOL

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#1001869 Oct 12, 2013
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, after all. We have the technology.

The term "bionic man" was the stuff of science fiction in the 1970s, when a popular TV show called "The Six Million Dollar Man" chronicled the adventures of Steve Austin, a former astronaut whose body was rebuilt using artificial parts after he nearly died.

Now, a team of engineers have assembled a robot using artificial organs, limbs and other body parts that comes tantalizingly close to a true "bionic man." For real, this time.

The artificial "man" is the subject of a Smithsonian Channel documentary that airs Sunday, Oct. 20 at 9 p.m. Called "The Incredible Bionic Man," it chronicles engineers' attempt to assemble a functioning body using artificial parts that range from a working kidney and circulation system to cochlear and retina implants.

The parts hail from 17 manufacturers around the world. This is the first time they've been assembled together, says Richard Walker, managing director of Shadow Robot Co. and the lead roboticist on the project.

"(It's) an attempt to showcase just how far medical science has gotten," he says.

The robot making appearances in the U.S. for the first time this week. Having crossed the Atlantic tucked inside two metal trunks — and after a brief holdup in customs — the bionic man will strut his stuff at the New York Comic Con festival on Friday.

Walker says the robot has about 60 to 70 percent of the function of a human. It stands six-and-a-half feet tall and can step, sit and stand with the help of a Rex walking machine that's used by people who've lost the ability to walk due to a spinal injury. It also has a functioning heart that, using an electronic pump, beats and circulates artificial blood, which carries oxygen just like human blood. An artificial, implantable kidney, meanwhile, replaces the function of a modern-day dialysis unit.

Although the parts used in the robot work, many of them are a long way from being used in humans. The kidney, for example, is only a prototype. And there are some key parts missing: there's no digestive system, liver, or skin. And, of course, no brain.

The bionic man was modeled after Bertolt Meyer, a 36-year-old social psychologist at the University of Zurich who was born without his lower left arm and wears a bionic prosthesis. The man's face was created based on a 3D scan of Meyer's face.

"We wanted to showcase that the technology can provide aesthetic prostheses for people who have lost parts of their faces, for example, their nose, due to an accident or due to, for example, cancer," Meyer says.

Meyer says he initially felt a sense of unease when he saw the robot for the first time.

"I thought it was rather revolting to be honest," he says. "It was quite a shock to see a face that closely resembles what I see in the mirror every morning on this kind of dystopian looking machine."

He has since warmed up to it, especially after the "man" was outfitted with some clothes from the U.K. department store Harrods.

And the cost? As it turns out, this bionic man comes cheaper than his $6-million-dollar sci-fi cousin. While the parts used in the experiment were donated, their value is about $1 million.

__

Associated Press reporters David R. Martin in New York and Hannah Buchdahl in Washington contributed to this story.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1001870 Oct 12, 2013
OBAMA the GENIUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Be scared.
It's ok.
BLUE CROSS PROVIDES OBAMACARE!
Number one provider: Blue Cross. On exchanges!
Great outfit!
Citizens over power servers trying to get some.
Republicans terrified of co-pay cards?
Republicans cause a gov shut down denying veterans a visit to national parks then cry about it: because of co pay cards!
CO-PAY CARDS........OOOOOOOO SCARY!
OBAMACARE it really kicked your azzzzz!
The people enjoy Blue Cross guaranteed coverage!
By federal law.
Thanks DEMOCRATS!
Blue Cross sells co pay cards! Exchanges open now!
Blue Cross is not offered in all states.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1001871 Oct 12, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Mitch McConnell let the cat out of bag early on__stating emphatically that the Republican Party would do nothing to assist the President in picking up the pieces left in the wake of BushCo.
By the people for the people has never been the case in my lifetime, but dummies buy into that nonsense__how does one explain the likes of the Koch's who not only wish to control goverment policy but also fund hundreds of traders in order to "nudge" the stockmarkets in ways favorable to their interests.
The US house needs an enema__the TeaParty was a failed experiment!
Try to imagine having a meaningful conversation with Amy Kremer.
Boehner and the republicans are in a tough situation; how can they purge themselves of the teaparty? Whatever they do; they're screwed.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#1001872 Oct 12, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the whole problem, isn't it? When Obama proclaimed "I won" after his first election, he thought it meant he ruled over us. He never connected leadership with uniting and bringing together.
This has been evident throughout his entire presidency.
Obama's ego and tunnel vision coupled with his far left liberal ideology is why we're here. He has no interest in uniting and bringing together. His desire is to rule by dividing and conquering.
This, too, has been evident throughout his entire presidency.
lol! Wrong side son. It was the cons who proclaimed they wouldn't work with Obama.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1001873 Oct 12, 2013
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
In one breath you right wing whiners complain the Obama needs to take charge and lead; in the next breath you whine that he acts like a king.
Whine, whine, whine, whine!!!!!
"I've got the capital, and I'm going to spend it": GWB
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#1001874 Oct 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, seeing you lecture anyone on the constitution. Obama thinks it needs rewritten.
No one is buying your bullying makes you right. Actually, you have so overdone it that it just makes look sad.
To quote Realtime: ROTFLMAO
LMAO

Los Angeles, CA

#1001875 Oct 12, 2013
Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You will continue to suffer no matter WHO is elected, convict. You need look no further to place blame than the criminal ways to which you've openly admitted to on this blog. THAT'S your culprit.....

^^
The desperate sounds of the wheezing, last gasp, death rattle of a monumental failure, right here folks. Sniff.
OBAMA the GENIUS

Pittsboro, NC

#1001876 Oct 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Blue Cross is not offered in all states.
You are such a sore loser.

States that don't provide other insurance.

Co-pay cards!

Republicans are so terrified.

Hey when Republicans decided that billionaires needed tax cuts: free gov loot! Did democrats cry everyday?

Billionaire: one guy!

WITH A THOUSAND MILLION DOLLARS!

Republicans decided he was a priority!

Gave him $50 million per year!

To one rich guy.

Now Democrats decided the people are a priority.

ALL THE PEOPLE!

AFFORDABLE CARE ACT!

Federal law.

Republicans are so pissed?

Co-pay cards kicked your azzzzzzz!
LMAO

Los Angeles, CA

#1001877 Oct 12, 2013
<quoted text>
The last count was that around 51,000 retards were able to sign up successfully for that joke of a boondoggle. Even if that number has doubled by now, odumbocare is one of the worst failures in the history of government.....
It's over now. Crawl back to that hole under the outhouse you reside in. We'll take it from here. Buh bye.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1001878 Oct 12, 2013
Obama...

...it wouldn’t be wise, as some suggest, to just kick the debt ceiling can down the road for a couple months, and flirt with a first-ever intentional default right in the middle of the holiday shopping season. Because damage to America’s sterling credit rating wouldn’t just cause global markets to go haywire; it would become more expensive for everyone in America to borrow money. Students paying for college. Newlyweds buying a home. It would amount to a new tax – a Republican default tax – on every family and business in America.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#1001879 Oct 12, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text>So you're telling me, all the election booths across America lied &, polls & surveys are telling the truth? Is that what you are telling me? You're starting to sound pathetic. In other words, if things don't go your way, the true winners of the election must suffer? Basically, your way or, the highway!
The true winners of elections...like O'bama's Mo Bro hoodies in Egypt. They didn't win either. They did however use the same technology as O'bama during the past presidential election.
Where's Hillary? Flight 800...mmm mmm mmm.
NJ raider 1

Newark, NJ

#1001880 Oct 12, 2013
<quoted text>
You will continue to suffer no matter WHO is elected, convict. You need look no further to place blame than the criminal ways to which you've openly admitted to on this blog. THAT'S your culprit.....
Firstly for the Whatever character, I laughed at you people when you claimed Romney was ahead by 4 to 5% points. Ask any non lying person on this thread. Now... Honky Tonk Man, so we meet again! Yes, I've admitted to my past or, should I say " confessed." I've also admitted or, confessed to never being caught, jailed, or imprisoned so, your point was? See unlike you my pale skinned brother, I've never let anyone other than those deemed responsible for me to dictate my life. You on the other hand, the system is your puppet master &, you well, your just a puppet. Carry on &, continue to do as you're told my dear boy!

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1001881 Oct 12, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
I see no one is talking about Hillary any more...except Larry Nichols. Bill and Hillary hired a hitman. We all knew it--the truth always floats to the top doesn't it? I expect the bodies will be uncovered in the next few weeks.
You're talking about Hillary.

You gave up on this losing hand for Repugnants.

Now you're worrying about Hillary.

That's funny.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1001882 Oct 12, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
To quote Realtime: ROTFLMAO
To quote you: ROTFLMAO

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1001883 Oct 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell USA this. She/he thinks the majority of Americans likes Obamacare.
Americans hate Obamacare.
They like Obamacare far better than they like Repugnants trying to block it.

You lost. Quit yer whining!!
dem

Lombard, IL

#1001884 Oct 12, 2013
Well leftist phags, I'll leave you retards to argue away all day. Its utterly gorgeous here in AZ, so no reason to waste it on useless discourse. In fact, I think I'll ride around the barricade in the National forest today to celebrate!! Try and stop me, forest service phags!!
BTW, we're just teasing you a bit with talks of a "deal". We're going to leave the Gvt shutdown for awhile longer. Every day its down, more and more rational people realize its not needed, and our work is finished.....:-)
typical tea bag old man.
if my 401k tanks you old jagoff ill take your guns and money
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1001885 Oct 12, 2013
OBAMA the GENIUS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such a sore loser.
States that don't provide other insurance.
Co-pay cards!
Republicans are so terrified.
Hey when Republicans decided that billionaires needed tax cuts: free gov loot! Did democrats cry everyday?
Billionaire: one guy!
WITH A THOUSAND MILLION DOLLARS!
Republicans decided he was a priority!
Gave him $50 million per year!
To one rich guy.
Now Democrats decided the people are a priority.
ALL THE PEOPLE!
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT!
Federal law.
Republicans are so pissed?
Co-pay cards kicked your azzzzzzz!
Listen, I have no interest in arguing with your idiocy.

I was simply pointing out that despite what you said not all states will be offering Blue Cross.
dem

Lombard, IL

#1001887 Oct 12, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad Panda,
Who loves polls until they don't back up his claims than not so much.
speaking of polls.
remember the one you showed up with before the election?
the one from some colorado teachers that claimed romney would win in a landslide?
i do, beitch.
guess that poll/pole was right up your hillbilly pooper

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 min loose cannon 100,307
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Dr Guru MD CEO CFO 194,749
Dova J Thomas your daughter Amber is looking fo... 1 hr Dawn B 1
Best value kit'chens of europe reviews 8 hr selamet 1
Ask Amy August 3 9 hr mrs gladys kravitz 9
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 9 hr _Zoey_ 443
Word (Dec '08) 10 hr _Zoey_ 5,383
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages