Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1404572 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Constitutionalis t”

Since: Dec 10

Spring, TX

#1000340 Oct 10, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Boehner is offering a "clean" extension of the debt ceiling.
Will Obama agree?
I hope not. If this is the only way to get the government to spend less money, then do anything to keep it operating at 87 percent.
There is no government shut down.

“Peace on Earth”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1000341 Oct 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
They had 3-1/2 years and millions of taxpayer money to get this thing off the ground and up and running like a Swiss watch.
This should be a wake up call of what's to come. And a bucket of ice water dumped on anyone's head who still doesn't get it.
Nothing ever gets off the ground and starts running like a Swiss watch without actual live testing first. It will all be fine. You Republicans need to just sit back and watch. If Obamacare is a failure, you can say, "told you so" and if it is a success, you can do what Republicans always do when they lose a fight...whine, cry and pass the blame.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1000342 Oct 10, 2013
Homer wrote:
Opinion polls indicate that Republicans appear to be getting more of the blame for the standoff. The Republican Party's approval rating now stands at a record low of 28 percent, according to Gallup, down 10 points from pre-shutdown levels. The Democratic Party's approval rating has dipped slightly to 43 percent.
While Homer's approval rating remains at 66%
HMMM,

You may want to check out this page of polling data

Quinnipiac - 32% Dem Approval
CBS News - 31%
FNS - 33%
Harris Poll -21%

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm

Neither side is winning in this shut down.

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1000343 Oct 10, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
Committee to Protect Journalists Issues Scathing Report on Obama Administration
cont...

Among the most shameful aspects of the Obama record:

Six government employees, plus two contractors including Edward Snowden, have been subjects of felony criminal prosecutions since 2009 under the 1917 Espionage Act, accused of leaking classified information to the press—compared with a total of three such prosecutions in all previous U.S. administrations.

Still more criminal investigations into leaks are under way. Reporters' phone logs and e-mails were secretly subpoenaed and seized by the Justice Department in two of the investigations, and a Fox News reporter was accused in an affidavit for one of those subpoenas of being 'an aider, abettor and/or conspirator' of an indicted leak defendant, exposing him to possible prosecution for doing his job as a journalist.

In another leak case, a New York Times reporter has been ordered to testify against a defendant or go to jail."
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1000344 Oct 10, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a complete idiot for being duped by Obama.
Obama is a complete fraud.
Obama is a communist, and was indoctrinated in Marxism and hatred of the United States his entire life.
Today, Obama is a muslim.
Any enemy of the United States is a friend to Obama.
Obama was a college dropout at Occidental.
Obama never attended classes at Columbia.
Obama was admitted to Harvard after being a college dropout at Occidental through high level contacts in the Communist Party USA.
There is someone who worked to attend Harvard and was denied so the Communist Party USA could arrange for Obama to get another fraudulent line in his fraudulent resume.
Obama's biological father is Frank Marshal Davis.
Obama has never read the Constitution in his entire life.
Obama is just a cardboard cutout of a commercial to make it appear as if someone's actually president. The communist Vallerie Jarrett is the real president.
... should I go on?
Absolutely go on, by all means, have at it hoss.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#1000345 Oct 10, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
that's right! Homer has a man crush on Obama.
I actually haven't heard him speak since the 2nd presidential debate. I think I have read a few words here and there from him. My focus is on the Republicans/Tea Baggers, in case you hadn't noticed.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1000346 Oct 10, 2013
Boehner’s New Offer Promises That Pointless Standoff Will Go On For Weeks

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

#1000347 Oct 10, 2013
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
Teabagger patrinuts come crawling to Obama, pleading for more time to beat their chests before caving! This is a riot!
Your Reps caving was Obama's begging.

Obama initiated the negotiations by inviting the Reps to the WH.

An extension of the debt ceiling til November is in my opinion the right choice.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1000348 Oct 10, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely go on, by all means, have at it hoss.
Homer agrees Obama is a complete fraud.
Homer agrees Obama is a communist, and was indoctrinated in Marxism and hatred of the United States his entire life.
Homer agrees today, Obama is a muslim.
Homer agrees any enemy of the United States is a friend to Obama.
Homer agrees Obama was a college dropout at Occidental.
Homer agrees Obama never attended classes at Columbia.
Homer agrees Obama was admitted to Harvard after being a college dropout at Occidental through high level contacts in the Communist Party USA.
Homer agrees there is someone who worked to attend Harvard and was denied so the Communist Party USA could arrange for Obama to get another fraudulent line in his fraudulent resume.
Homer agrees Obama's biological father is Frank Marshal Davis.
Homer agrees Obama has never read the Constitution in his entire life.
Homer agrees Obama is just a cardboard cutout of a commercial to make it appear as if someone's actually president. The communist Vallerie Jarrett is the real president.

But, even though Homer agrees with everything above, Homer still has lips glued to Obama's ass. Everything above pleases Homer.
Backfire

Hamden, CT

#1000349 Oct 10, 2013
Democrats in action!

Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in prison for corruption, after a series of scandals destroyed his political career and helped steer a crisis-laden city even deeper into trouble.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1000350 Oct 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Boehner’s New Offer Promises That Pointless Standoff Will Go On For Weeks
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
Good. If that's the only way to get the government to spend less money, then keep it running at 87 percent. Any sane budget would have cut that much out of government spending, anyway.
We don't need any more than the 87 percent of the government that is currently operating in what the Democrats are ludicrously calling a government "shut down".

If you're too incompetent to generate a budget, this is the only answer.

Put some more bills on Harry Reid's desk so he can obstruct the government. We spend less money that way.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#1000351 Oct 10, 2013
House Republicans have refused to vote on a bill to reopen the federal government, with no strings attached. Instead, they want to reopen only parts of the government, while continuing to push for face-saving concessions from President Barack Obama.

The GOP's piecemeal approach would fund services for some of the shutdown's most visible victims, thus blunting some of the criticisms the party has received for its refusal to budge and pass a clean continuing resolution. They have proposed funding the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Institutes of Health and the national parks, for example.

But a new ad from the advocacy group VoteVets argues that such an approach is bad for veterans. It features Redge Ranyard, a 90-year-old World War II Navy veteran.

Responding to House Speaker John Boehner's (R-Ohio) comment that the GOP is locked in an "epic battle" over funding the government, Ranyard replies, "I was in six epic battles, fighting the Nazis. Congressmen, your shutdown is not an epic battle. It’s bad governance." (Watch the ad above.)

Ranyard receives pension checks from the VA, which will stop going out if the shutdown continues. But he told The Huffington Post that the GOP approach amid the government shutdown is flawed because veterans don't live in a vacuum, simply relying on services from the VA alone.

"They rely on nearly every department, from the Department of Education, to Housing and Urban Development, and so on, to help veterans out with what we, as a nation, owe them," he said. "This whole silliness about funding bits and pieces of the government is like sticking fingers in a dike.... It is important to me that you know that my interests are not limited to veterans. The homeless, hungry, in need of medical care, also are my concern."

Veterans are affected by the shutdown in ways that extend beyond the VA and war memorials, since they make up nearly 30 percent of the federal workforce. About 800,000 federal employees are currently being furloughed. They will receive back pay only if Congress authorizes it, and even then, their paychecks won't come until after the government reopens.

Last week, lawmakers rushed to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. after hearing that a group of Honor Flight veterans were unable to get to the memorial because of the shutdown. They took photos at the site, and Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas) attempted to gain some political points by castigating a park ranger and blaming her for blocking the veterans from the site, which was closed because of Congress.

Ranyard, who has taken place in Honor Flight and visited the memorial, wasn't convinced by the display.

"They were dishonoring the memory of those who died in World War II," he said. "You don’t use the memories of fallen troops as a political prop. I found it utterly repugnant, and it is why I felt so compelled to be in this ad."

Veterans who spoke with The Huffington Post last week at the World War II Memorial agreed with Ranyard's call to reopen the entire federal government.

Ranyard also criticized Rep. Phil Gingrey's (R-Ga.) comment that the government shutdown was Republicans' "Braveheart" moment.

"What is this obsession with equating their efforts to keep the government closed with military and battle imagery? Anyway, as I recall, William Wallace fought to help his people, not keep them suffering," Ranyard said. "The government shutdown, and the GOP fight to keep it closed, hurts people. I think Republicans ought to pick up a history book, once in a while. It seems to me like they could stand to learn a few things, if they’re interested."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/vete...
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1000352 Oct 10, 2013
Gov shut down...

don't have access to taxpayer cash...

to fund stuff like this:

Helping Siberia!!!!
$199,862
"Pacific Environment, a San-Francisco based non-
profit organization that “protects the living
environment of the Pacific Rim by promoting gra
ssroots activism, strengthening communities and
reforming international policies, has received a stimulus grant for an experimental applied science
project to assist indigenous Siberian communities in
engaging Russian policymakers in local civic and
environmental issues."

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/8_3_10_St...

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1000353 Oct 10, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Reps caving was Obama's begging.
Obama initiated the negotiations by inviting the Reps to the WH.
An extension of the debt ceiling til November is in my opinion the right choice.
I don't know. I don't see where we need the extra government we'll be increasing the debt to pay for.
What they need to be negotiating is what programs to cut and how much to cut them. Not how much they can increase them.
The bottom line is the government needs to spend less money next year than this year, and do that for many subsequent years until be get back to the revenue being balanced with spending.
Right now we have to borrow 1.3 trillion dollars every year just for the day-to-day existence of the government. Anyone with any sense can tell you that government will collapse.

“Constitutionalis t”

Spring, TX

#1000354 Oct 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
House Republicans have refused to vote on a bill to reopen the federal government, with no strings attached. Instead, they want to reopen only parts of the government, while continuing to push for face-saving concessions from President Barack Obama.
The GOP's piecemeal approach would fund services for some of the shutdown's most visible victims, thus blunting some of the criticisms the party has received for its refusal to budge and pass a clean continuing resolution. They have proposed funding the Department of Veterans Affairs, the National Institutes of Health and the national parks, for example.
But a new ad from the advocacy group VoteVets argues that such an approach is bad for veterans. It features Redge Ranyard, a 90-year-old World War II Navy veteran.
Responding to House Speaker John Boehner's (R-Ohio) comment that the GOP is locked in an "epic battle" over funding the government, Ranyard replies, "I was in six epic battles, fighting the Nazis. Congressmen, your shutdown is not an epic battle. It’s bad governance." (Watch the ad above.)
Ranyard receives pension checks from the VA, which will stop going out if the shutdown continues. But he told The Huffington Post that the GOP approach amid the government shutdown is flawed because veterans don't live in a vacuum, simply relying on services from the VA alone.
"They rely on nearly every department, from the Department of Education, to Housing and Urban Development, and so on, to help veterans out with what we, as a nation, owe them," he said. "This whole silliness about funding bits and pieces of the government is like sticking fingers in a dike.... It is important to me that you know that my interests are not limited to veterans. The homeless, hungry, in need of medical care, also are my concern."
Veterans are affected by the shutdown in ways that extend beyond the VA and war memorials, since they make up nearly 30 percent of the federal workforce. About 800,000 federal employees are currently being furloughed. They will receive back pay only if Congress authorizes it, and even then, their paychecks won't come until after the government reopens.
Last week, lawmakers rushed to the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. after hearing that a group of Honor Flight veterans were unable to get to the memorial because of the shutdown. They took photos at the site, and Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R-Texas) attempted to gain some political points by castigating a park ranger and blaming her for blocking the veterans from the site, which was closed because of Congress.
Ranyard, who has taken place in Honor Flight and visited the memorial, wasn't convinced by the display.
"They were dishonoring the memory of those who died in World War II," he said. "You don’t use the memories of fallen troops as a political prop. I found it utterly repugnant, and it is why I felt so compelled to be in this ad."
Veterans who spoke with The Huffington Post last week at the World War II Memorial agreed with Ranyard's call to reopen the entire federal government.
Ranyard also criticized Rep. Phil Gingrey's (R-Ga.) comment that the government shutdown was Republicans' "Braveheart" moment.
"What is this obsession with equating their efforts to keep the government closed with military and battle imagery? Anyway, as I recall, William Wallace fought to help his people, not keep them suffering," Ranyard said. "The government shutdown, and the GOP fight to keep it closed, hurts people. I think Republicans ought to pick up a history book, once in a while. It seems to me like they could stand to learn a few things, if they’re interested."
<desperate cheerleading span>
OBAMA the GENIUS

Fayetteville, NC

#1000355 Oct 10, 2013
HELLO?

this db mom

db big liar

db crazy

db think dog balllllkz toy

I tell db

No!

No!

Dog balllllkz not toy db!

db put toys in mouth

db not bright

HELLO!

THIS DB MOM

db have man crush on Hillary

db big pusceeee in pant suit

db wrong on every post

db put down computer

DB!

db no

db no

db take medicates

Hello?

This db mom

You want screw!

db not home

db is Borhnets byytch

db get no screw but

db get nailed by large brown cccckkkkks!

db like it

db do for free

Hello?

This db mom

I LIKE IT TOOO

I DO FOR MONEY!

send db to nursery school

db put paste in butttt

db put everything in buttt

db no

No!

db no

DOG BALLLLLKZ NOT FOR PLAY THING!

HELLO?

HI?

THIS DB MOM
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

#1000356 Oct 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
House Republicans have refused to vote on a bill to reopen the federal government ."
l
Who cares...

Idiots like you have them spend it on this crap:

How's the weather...on Mars!

"According to scientists at the Southwest Research Institute (SWRI) in Texas, you absolutely do. So the government has given them nearly $300,000 in stimulus funds to satisfy the American taxpayer’s profound need for interplanetary weather
info"

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/8_3_10_St...

We'd have plenty of money to buy you insurance and foodstamps if you'd quit spending yer money on this shitttttttt
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1000357 Oct 10, 2013
According to Linn’s Stamp News, the US Postal Service has now been forced to destroy the entire run of stamps based on Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative.

That’s because three of the stamps showed children doing unsafe activities: one showed a child jumping cannonball-style into water; a second showed a child skateboarding without kneepads; a third showed a child doing a headstand without a helmet.

The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition had not approved the stamps, but were only made aware of the problem after Nagisa Manabe, USPS marketing chief, asked Michelle Obama to take part in the ceremony inaugurating the initiative.
TSM

United States

#1000358 Oct 10, 2013
This should remove all doubt that this President is playing Politics with American People and our Fallen Heroes!!
The Senate has approved legislation to provide benefits to the families of fallen troops!!
The Senate backed the measure Thursday, after the House approved it unanimously a day earlier!!
Today the WH reject senate Bill!!
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1000359 Oct 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
And missing in all this is Marco Rubio. Hah, he's not real good in front of TV cameras when it really matters__maybe McConnell has him under guard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 min as it happens 103,202
News Chicago police union asks cops to not volunteer... 7 min Chicago boy 2
last post wins! (Apr '13) 16 min Hatti_Hollerand 1,251
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Jacques in Orleans 219,535
last post wins! (Dec '10) 31 min They cannot kill ... 2,273
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 58 min mdbuilder 60,660
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 1,801

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages