Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
912,441 - 912,460 of 1,081,693 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

The government passes a law that says everyone has to have health insurance or you will be penalized. When everyone goes out and get insurance to comply with the law, loony left wingers call it "amazing interest" or "overwhelming need". Then they deny being sheep. Amazing.

these idiots belong in logans run.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
The government passes a law that says everyone has to have health insurance or you will be penalized. When everyone goes out and get insurance to comply with the law, loony left wingers call it "amazing interest" or "overwhelming need". Then they deny being sheep. Amazing.
I remember that.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Closing the Washington Mall and the monuments thereon is just spiteful on the part of Obama because these facilities do not require any furloughed federal employees.
Stock Market is up and the Government is shutdown... LOL

Throw away the key and close the whitehouse...

It's the culture...
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text>You truly have the mind of a kid! Yea, there are different Gods &, they're fighting a galactic war for racial dominance! How stupid can you be? America clashes with the cultural differences between eastern &, western civilization so, it doesn't matter who's running the show in Syria, America's in opposition. You think because, you scream AlQaeda, that is an automatic trigger that signals " threat" to Americans. Assad, Al Qaeda, what difference does it make? America sees them as a threat regardless.
Yo son yo son tell em why you mad son yo tell em why you mad dog you got a powerful grafted man running the country son and you let a Germ birther shut you DOWNnnnn sonnnn yo son the grafted one got shut down by his grandfather or people that looks like his grandfather son his white family shut him down son his black family is weak son thats why he likes his white family more son you all are too racists everytime you say something about white people a tear forms in the corner of his eye you just cant see it because you are blinded by bigotry thats why he is Black to you bigot

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Not even in the top 10,000 stupidest analogies e-mutt__that wasn't even in the running for today. DB and Oink are on board today correct?
you voluntarily drink pisswater. Your opinion doesn't make the top 10,000.

who the fck negotiates with a waiter?
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Eman wrote:
Obamakare will never elect Hillary in 2016. The Tea Party will take over the Congress in 2014...

It's the culture...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

hold on for the ride. there's a whole bunch of this out there.

The Nullification Party

I’ve been trying to think of something original to say about the absurdity now transpiring in Washington, DC. I’ve said roughly what I think in short; and I defer to Fallows for an important dose of reality against the predictably moronic coverage of the Washington Post.

But there is something more here. How does one party that has lost two presidential elections and a Supreme Court case – as well as two Senate elections - think it has the right to shut down the entire government and destroy the full faith and credit of the United States Treasury to get its way on universal healthcare now? I see no quid pro quo even. Just pure blackmail, resting on understandable and predictable public concern whenever a major reform is enacted. But what has to be resisted is any idea that this is government or politics as usual. It is an attack on the governance and the constitutional order of the United States.

When ideologies become as calcified, as cocooned and as extremist as those galvanizing the GOP, the American system of government cannot work. But I fear this nullification of the last two elections is a deliberate attempt to ensure that the American system of government as we have known it cannot work. It cannot, must not work, in the mindset of these radicals, because they simply do not accept the legitimacy of a President and Congress of the opposing party. The GOP does not regard the president as merely wrong – but as illegitimate. Not misguided – illegitimate. This is not about ending Obamacare as such (although that is a preliminary scalp); it is about nullifying this presidency, the way the GOP attempted to nullify the last Democratic presidency by impeachment.

Except this time, of course, we cannot deny that race too is an added factor to the fathomless sense of entitlement felt among the GOP far right. You saw it in birtherism; in the Southern GOP’s constant outrageous claims of Obama’s alleged treason and alliance with Islamist enemies; in providing zero votes for a stimulus that was the only thing that prevented a global depression of far worse proportions; in the endless race-baiting from Fox News and the talk radio right. And in this racially-charged atmosphere, providing access to private healthcare insurance to the working poor is obviously the point of no return.

Even though the law is almost identical to that of their last presidential nominee’s in Massachusetts, the GOP is prepared to destroy both the American government and the global economy to stop it. They see it, it seems to me, as both some kind of profound attack on the Constitution (something even Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts viewed as a step too far) and, in some inchoate way, as a racial hand-out, however preposterous that is. And that is at the core of the recklessness behind this attack on the US – or at least my best attempt to understand something that has long since gone beyond reason. This is the point of no return – a black president doing something for black citizens (even though the vast majority of beneficiaries of Obamacare will be non-black).

I regard this development as one of the more insidious and anti-constitutional acts of racist vandalism against the American republic in my adult lifetime. Those who keep talking as if there are two sides to this, when there are not, are as much a part of the vandalism as Ted Cruz. Obama has played punctiliously by the constitutional rules – two elections, one court case – while the GOP has decided that the rules are for dummies and suckers, and throws over the board game as soon as it looks as if it is going to lose by the rules as they have always applied.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/01/the...

“Often imitated”

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>You've been doing it for over five years__what else is new???
link to one post, just one, where I did that.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

On Defending Principles

A Wall Street Journal article compares the latest shutdown with the one in 1995-96, and finds few similarities. This passage jumps out:

“The difficulty here is that Republicans have no achievable endgame,”[bold mine-DL] said Daniel Meyer, a former Gingrich chief of staff who went on to serve as White House liaison to the House for President George W. Bush.

Whatever else one wants to say about the last few weeks leading up to the shutdown, it’s the sheer futility of the Republican defunders’ approach that continues to amaze. There is always the danger that any political effort could go wrong or backfire, but there is also usually the possibility that there could be a successful outcome. It is rare to see a coordinated effort to try something that everyone already knows has no chance of succeeding. It is bad enough to seek a maximalist goal with insufficient means, but to seek a goal that is unobtainable from the beginning is baffling. Perseverance is an admirable quality, but like any other it can be taken to excess and become harmful.

Scott Galupo quotes Rep. Steve Pearce (NM-02) saying this:

At times, you must act on principle and not ask what cost, what are the chances of success.

That might sound impressive until one thinks about it for a moment. Especially when one is defending a principle, it is important to understand what the costs and chances of success are, because it could undermine and even discredit that principle in the eyes of others if the cost is too high or failure is certain. If the principle at stake is a political one, the fact that there is no chance that a particular maneuver will work is relevant, because failure will have political implications that make it more difficult and costlier to defend that principle later on.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...

it's going to go down as the worst mistake a political party has ever perpetrated.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Ok children home, wife is here. Time for me to start the second part of my day. PEACE!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

House Appropriations Chairman Hal Rogers (R-KY) told a handful of reporters Tuesday he supports House-Senate conference negotiations over a comprehensive budget resolution, which Republican leaders have blocked since April.

"They should have done that long ago," he said in response to a question from TPM, before walking into a closed-door GOP meeting to discuss the government shutdown strategy.

Senate Democrats have formally requested budget talks 18 times since the two chambers passed differing budgets early this spring, but Republicans have blocked it each time.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/top-rep...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> They have moved on from sports. Once you go undefeated it's all down hill from there. Oldest in the marching band. Youngest taking up the violin like her sister. Oldest going to be a forensic scientist and youngest is following dad into light/sound so far.
Good thing they didn't go undefeated in 4th grade eh? Think of all the fun they would have missed out on.

Of course this is from the guy that loves the fair tax because "I only buy used vehicles."
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Six years in and still no Change and Hope is slowly going to the excuse pile Obamas farewell speech will sound like this see ya suckers give you a Nixon wave and him and reggie love will ride off to brokeback mountain mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmchile tylor perry will be waiting with the rest of the down low crew Oprah and gail corey the whole camp hillary the whos who of the team
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Whats really Obama the man who promised Hope and Change he is looking to the republicans for Hope and Change lolololohahahahahaha
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Dear GOP,

For a crowd that loves to bray about the Constitution, it seems you have misplaced your copy. How else to explain your bizarre efforts to destroy the world unless you get your way?

You don't like the Affordable Care Act. You've made it obvious. But it was passed the correct way, in a Congress that generally doesn't pass shit. It made it through the House, and it made it through the Senate. It wasn't passed in the "dead of night", nor was it "rammed down" anyone's throat like you jokers like to claim. It passed only after an excruciating 14-months of debate and negotiations. But all your hysterical shrieking about death panels and communism couldn't stop it. Finally, the president signed it into law.

Us liberals weren't thrilled when it passed. Just relieved. We didn't get anything near what we wanted. After all, we're not in the business of fighting for Heritage Foundation-created ideas championed by the likes of Newt Gingrich and first adopted by Republican governors (the guy you nominated, in fact!). If we couldn't get single payer, we at least wanted a public option—an expansion of Medicare for all. But alas, we went to D.C. with the Congress we had, not the one we wanted. And really, given the dysfunction in D.C., it's amazing we got anything at all.

So now that the law is about to be fully implemented, you're still not happy. You're still shrieking about death panels and communism, and even the death of freedom! Yeah, yeah, we get it. The 42 (or whatever) votes in the House to repeal Obamacare have made it very clear.

But here's the thing: If you want to truly get rid of the law, you have to do it the proper way, as specified in that Constitution you pretend to cherish. Those House votes? Those are a good start! Great job! You're a third of the way there. Because you still have to get that bill passed by the Senate. And then, you have to get the president to sign it. And if the president doesn't sign it, then you have to overturn that veto which requires a two-thirds majority, which you don't have even in the House.

So what are your options? Certainly not shut down the government and threaten a national default on our debt. That's not in that Constitution (seriously, read it!). Your options are to win some elections. Hold that ill-gotten gerrymandered-fueled majority in the House. Get a simple majority in the Senate and then get rid of the filibuster. Seriously, get rid of it. I won't complain. Then win the presidency. You'll have a better shot at that if you don't nominate Ted Cruz, and you might want to broaden your appeal by being less of a bunch of assholes. But really do what you must. I'm not in the habit of giving you guys advice. Just anvils.

What I do want to do is remind you that there's a right way to get rid of laws, and the undemocratic, extra-constitutional way you are trying to do it now.

If you really truly believe that America is behind you, then you're golden. 2014 and 2016 will bear that out and you'll have all the governmental control you'll need to repeal to your heart's content. So put your trust on that American public you so fervently believe is behind you and let the chips fall where they may.

Hugs and kisses, kos

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/01/1242...

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Dow Jones must not have gotten the memo about those bad old Republicans.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dj...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Last week, exchange directors were joking about what low volume they would see for enrollment Oct. 1; California's Obamacare head estimated two people would sign up on day one.

Maybe not: At least a few states right now are reporting pretty high traffic in their first few hours of business. New York has had more than 2 million visitors this morning, which is causing some trouble for people trying to sign up. To put that in perspective, New York has 2.5 million uninsured residents.

Kentucky's new marketplace, the Kynect, had processed over 1,000 applications for insurance by 9:30 a.m. this morning. The Web site has had more than 24,000 visits from people browsing the insurance rates.

"It is a higher volume than we expected and it has caused a few technical issues," says Jill Midkiff, a spokeswoman in Kentucky's Cabinet for Health and Family Services. "We've got our IT people in our command center trying to iron out those issues. We believe that this surge of applications definitely demonstrates the pent up demand, who will now be able to have coverage on January 1."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...

now matter how you cut it....Obama has won the day.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Poll: Lowest-ever approval for GOP lawmakers

Americans overwhelmingly oppose shutting down government to stop Obamacare, according to a new poll on Tuesday, with Republicans in Congress getting their lowest approval marks to date.

Americans were against a government shutdown as a way to stop the president’s health care law from taking effect 72 percent to 22 percent in a Quinnipiac poll. The more than three-to-one ratio was despite a near even split on Obamacare itself, with 45 percent support to 47 percent opposition.

Republicans in Congress also got record-low marks in the poll. Just 17 percent of Americans approved of the job GOP lawmakers were doing, and 74 percent disapproved. That’s the lowest approval ever in Quinnipiac’s polling, and is down from August and July this summer.

Those surveyed also disapproved of Democrats in Congress, 60 percent to 32 percent, but that was the best approval rating Democrats have seen since May.

President Barack Obama’s numbers also continued to be underwater, with voters disapproving of his job 49 percent to 45 percent.

Voters were also asked if the 2014 House election were today, if they would vote for a Democrat or Republican. Americans chose a Democrat over a Republican 43 percent to 34 percent, the biggest margin for Democrats since this spring and a far cry from the even 38 percent to 38 percent registered in late May.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/congres...
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

Obama in dane cooks voice I did my best I did my best you see it I did my Best lolololhahahahahahaha just do the dougie and twerk for moochelle I forgot she is a single mother if Ms. Obama is a single mother does she qualify for wic foodstamps section 8 welfare can she dust the furniture while the gobment is shut down or thats below her level heaven no she is not the BUTLER or THE HELP
forks_make_us_fa t

Norman, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
On Defending Principles
A Wall Street Journal article compares the latest shutdown with the one in 1995-96, and finds few similarities. This passage jumps out:
“The difficulty here is that Republicans have no achievable endgame,”[bold mine-DL] said Daniel Meyer, a former Gingrich chief of staff who went on to serve as White House liaison to the House for President George W. Bush.
Whatever else one wants to say about the last few weeks leading up to the shutdown, it’s the sheer futility of the Republican defunders’ approach that continues to amaze. There is always the danger that any political effort could go wrong or backfire, but there is also usually the possibility that there could be a successful outcome. It is rare to see a coordinated effort to try something that everyone already knows has no chance of succeeding. It is bad enough to seek a maximalist goal with insufficient means, but to seek a goal that is unobtainable from the beginning is baffling. Perseverance is an admirable quality, but like any other it can be taken to excess and become harmful.
Scott Galupo quotes Rep. Steve Pearce (NM-02) saying this:
At times, you must act on principle and not ask what cost, what are the chances of success.
That might sound impressive until one thinks about it for a moment. Especially when one is defending a principle, it is important to understand what the costs and chances of success are, because it could undermine and even discredit that principle in the eyes of others if the cost is too high or failure is certain. If the principle at stake is a political one, the fact that there is no chance that a particular maneuver will work is relevant, because failure will have political implications that make it more difficult and costlier to defend that principle later on.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/lariso...
it's going to go down as the worst mistake a political party has ever perpetrated.
you can stop posting...you can marry your best bud, free insurance, you can hire illegal Mexicans to run speaker wires in the attics, and thanks to carbon credits the polar bear population is AOK!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Rogue Scholar 05 174,871
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 39 min TRD 68,040
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 46 min RACE 97,550
Amy 7-28 51 min RACE 2
Abby 7-28 1 hr RACE 2
Interview with retired border patrol agent. Tru... 3 hr WOW That Realy Is Scary 2
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 6 hr TW_sugar_daddio 17
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 28 at 3:19AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search