Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1275479 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#993824 Oct 2, 2013
Homer wrote:
'Lasting damage': Pete King on the Republicans' shutdown problem
"We're really living in parallel universes here," Rep. Peter King told me in a brief phone conversation from Washington this afternoon.
King, a longtime, periodically rebellious Republican congressman from Long Island, has been a loud, somewhat lonely voice for moderation over the last few weeks, railing against Senator Ted Cruz and the House Republicans who have instigated a shutdown of the federal government, which went into effect this morning after Democrats rebuffed Republican demands to delay the president's health care law.
The divide in the party was "between the guys who stand up and say, everywhere they go, people say you have to shut down the government, and crying on the street about Obamacare, and then other people from districts more like mine, where people are looking for pragmatic results," King said.
King said he was around his district all summer, and, even among the right-of-center Republicans, "nobody was talking about defunding Obamacare."
"I have a lot of interaction with people, and I'll tell you, nobody mentioned this to me all summer," he said. "These other guys come back saying it's all they heard about. Maybe we're living in different worlds, but I never heard a word about it.
"I mean, if I asked somebody,'Do you support Obamacare?' They'd say,'No.' Then I say,'Do you want me to shut down the government over it?' They'd look at me like,'Have a drink or something.'"
http://peteking.house.gov/media-center/in-the...
The Republican meltdown continues...
Tea Baggers vs. Moderates/sane people in the party
Bags and Bagnots
The difference between your side and my side, Homer, is that my side would never refuse to negotiate with your side on something as important as this major piece of legislation after they voted for it on strict party lines to begin with. That would have never happened either.

It's that simple. And I find simplicity is always the best way to explain things to the simpleminded...no offense...but you're really too gullible for your own good, Homer, and I'm just trying to help you because I like you.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Newington, CT

#993825 Oct 2, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Wretch, happy her Republicans were having fun drinking & hiring prostitutes ( Vitter was likely there) while shutting down the government in yet another attempt to damage Obamacare.
But poor Wretch is mad that the people are so pissed with Republican obstructionism that they are willing to send money to make sure Republicans don't win in 2014.
I loved the Republican photo Op with Boehner ( rhymes with toner) ad Cantor etal sitting at the table as if Democrats said they would meet with them.
I'm sure that excited a Rush lover like Wretch but it was really pathetic.
Well Good morning! Are you the Duke of Hyperbole from Dumbass?

Did Bush "abandon" Afghanistan?

ROTFLMAO!!!!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#993826 Oct 2, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and he just 66. Elmore Leonard, another great one, died just a couple of months ago.
Leonard was a chain smoker who wrote pencil to paper.
i love Elmore's work also. have all of his books.

and Justified is the best show on TV.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#993827 Oct 2, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>FACT:O'bama's ratings are so low that the Kenyans are now saying O'bama was born in America.
Actually, and this is from the rightwing beloved Rasmussen Reports -

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Obama's job performance. Forty-nine percent (49%) disapprove.

The president's total job approval for September inched up a point from August to 48%, his highest rating since May. But that’s still down eight points from December’s high of 56%.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_conten...

Another rightwing lie debunked.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#993828 Oct 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
And speaking of inciting violence...did you fall asleep during the Occupy Wall Street movement in New York and California?
People were trashing the streets and preventing businesses from making a living in New York and cases of rape and vandalism were reported. Rioters in California vandalized businesses and attacked the police.
Do you not know what inciting violence looks like when you see it?
Many incidences of violence and mayhem at Tea Party rallies babe__including a bunch of old fks attacking some members of the media.

You said that you'd only attended a couple TP gatherings right?

What's your need to lie???
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#993829 Oct 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference between your side and my side, Homer, is that my side would never refuse to negotiate with your side on something as important as this major piece of legislation after they voted for it on strict party lines to begin with. That would have never happened either.
It's that simple. And I find simplicity is always the best way to explain things to the simpleminded...no offense...but you're really too gullible for your own good, Homer, and I'm just trying to help you because I like you.
Take it up with Peter King, he's on your 'side'.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#993830 Oct 2, 2013
Paradise Lost The historic stand of African America is that of a people forged in struggle against privilege and injustice, asking for and receiving the solidarity of humanity in our continued struggle. How does that square with the current stand of our ostensible black leaders, addicted to celebrity and delirious at the mere proximity to power? How can supposed black leaders celebrate at the corporate funded monument to Dr. King one week and clamor for unjust, unconstitutional war out of loyalty to the black president the next? Whose shoulders do they stand on? Fannie Lou Hamer's? Or Condoleezza Rice's? Whose legacy do they uphold? Martin Luther King's? Or Colin Powell's?

Join Black Agenda Report, along with Cornel West, Ajamu Baraka and other guests for a fascinating exploration into the Black Misleadership Class, and what their rise to power and prominence mean for the rest of us, at Harlem's Riverside Church Friday Oct. 18....
We let One person cause us to lose our way right back to racism and bigotry

Orlando, FL

#993831 Oct 2, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
Genesis 1:27
So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
Are you saying Adam was black? Heretic!
Image means something very different than physical characteristics in the spiritual realm.

Maybe we're connected to ETs and were created in their image. They have two eyes, a nose, a mouth and limbs too, you know. How did we get so smart evolving from an ape as you want to believe?

The mysteries in this life as we know it are far beyond our limited grasp of understanding, Homer.

Even so, there's only one Source in all of creation and many, myself included, call it God.

Basically, we know nothing compared to all there is to know.

Love is all that matters in the end.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#993832 Oct 2, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Ted who?
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) gained national attention for his recent 21-hour talkathon to protest funding for the Affordable Care Act, but a poll released Wednesday showed that he remains a largely unknown figure — even among Republicans.
According to the latest findings from Quinnipiac University, 16 percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the freshman senator while a quarter said they have an unfavorable opinion. But most Americans, 58 percent, said they haven't heard enough about Cruz.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/poll-te...
thank you MSM. oh, and FOX who now seems to love left wing talking points.
haven't heard "enough" about him.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#993833 Oct 2, 2013
Also of note -

Democrats have extended their lead over Republicans to four points – 42% to 38%- in the latest Generic Congressional Ballot. This is their biggest lead and highest level of support since mid-April.

Interesting. I thought the Republicans were looking to make some serious gains, maybe take over the Senate.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#993834 Oct 2, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
but seems he's not an alcoholic like the tea party crowd.
they better hope that the DC AA meetings haven't been shut down.
Do you know what Pi$$ing in the wind is
TSM

El Paso, TX

#993835 Oct 2, 2013
Thank you Obama/Liberals for this ‘Government Shutdown’ it validated/highlighted what the American People have been saying since 2010 ‘ Government is Over Bloated!!’ The fact 93% of EPA Employees Considered 'Non-Essential', 9 out of 10 IRS workers sent home it’s time to downsize Government from Big Fries to Small Fries!!

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#993836 Oct 2, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Alan Grayson: Republicans are rejecting Obamacare out of drunken anger
Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL) did not discount what he called “public reports” that Republican lawmakers were drinking on the job, telling Salon that it was affecting their job performance.
“It’s a fact we all have to live with,” Grayson said in an interview published on Tuesday.“It’s making them violent and abusive towards America.”
Grayson did not identify any Congress members by name, but told Salon that “you can smell alcohol on their breath as they’re voting gleefully to shut down the government and create chaos.”
Huffington Post correspondent Jennifer Bendery wrote on Twitter on Monday night that,“About every other House lawmaker I just talked to smelled like booze. It’s only 9pm.” Bendery’s account corroborates a Post report from Saturday that other media members witnessed or smelled unidentified lawmakers drinking in the midst of negotiations over shuttering government offices.
Grayson also accused House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) of stymieing a vote on a “clean” continuing resolution — one providing funding for the government that also includes the Affordable Care Act — out of self-preservation.
“He enjoys his golf games with the president, and he doesn’t want to lose that perk, and so he’s desperate to maintain his relevance, and that means maintaining his position at all costs,” Grayson told Salon.“Even the kind of costs we’re seeing now for the country.”
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/01/alan-gr...
here's where Reagan rolls over in his grave.....
While Republican opposition has hinged on the new healthcare law, Grayson also accused Republicans of wanting to roll back other public health programs, such as the mandate requring emergency rooms to provide health care for patients unable to pay for their services.
"it's only 9pm"??? Lmao! You guys are desperate. Hell, real time has booze on his breath before 11am.

Orlando, FL

#993837 Oct 2, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, and this is from the rightwing beloved Rasmussen Reports -
The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 50% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Obama's job performance. Forty-nine percent (49%) disapprove.
The president's total job approval for September inched up a point from August to 48%, his highest rating since May. But that’s still down eight points from December’s high of 56%.
Another rightwing lie debunked.
Don't pee your pants just yet, Homer. More headlines are to come in the days ahead and more "glitches" when reality sinks in.

Let's wait to celebrate Obama's 1% margin of victory until after the debt ceiling debate soon and Obamacare really hits the fan.

By the way, do you favor Obamacare over the Affordable Care Act?

Just testing...people in the streets chose one over the other on the Jimmy Kimmel show the other night and even explained why.

Proving more people are completely clueless than we even imagine.
NuculurSurpriZed

Lakewood, NJ

#993838 Oct 2, 2013
waxywaxturd wrote:
Good Morning again to all my topix friends!!!
As you all can see I have been up all night into the wee small hours maniacally judging your posts and chit-chatting back and forth to myself using many of my favorite sockpuppets!! A "labor of love" though tiring!! I had to change my depends three times last night but it was worth every diaper as it was challenging and exciting!!
I and most of my sockpuppets will be on board all day today making idiotic and mentally deranged comments, the sole purpose being to harass and feebly attempt to insult the legitimate posters who use this forum. I will also be judging your posts all day. I plan to be here for the entire day and night with my sockpuppets so get ready for an all out judgit blowout shitshow!!!! Please JOIN in!! I will give you a head start if needed.
I enjoy spending the day here giving out judgits to anyone who doesn't agree with me and I like to think I have full control of this thread!!! I consider it "mine"!!!!!!
PLEASE join me!
Warm and sincerest hugs!!! "NOT SURPRIZED"
PS, another one of my wonderful sockpuppet creations has come forth. I call her "YEAH". Winning!!!!!
Please my dear friends, show her some of that Topix Love!!
Not telling my doctors about this one either!
As many of my topix friends are aware I have an endless supply of fake ip addresses and topix id's which I use every day of my life that I spend on topix. It helps to pass the time here living on the psych ward in Ct. where I am permanently confined. It keeps me busy and I feel I am doing something worthwhile with all my spare time. My psychiatrists' think it is good therapy and basically harmless. My entire life is spent in a fantasy world and I don't think it shows much compassion when you attempt to humiliate me on this particular delusion.
Please my friends, play along with me. I use fake "ip address's" as I have access to hundreds. You, here on topix, are my only friends, please don't ruin this for me. It's all I've got left.
Hugs, NOT SURPRIZED!!!!!!!!!!
Not Surprized!
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#993839 Oct 2, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Image means something very different than physical characteristics in the spiritual realm.
Maybe we're connected to ETs and were created in their image. They have two eyes, a nose, a mouth and limbs too, you know. How did we get so smart evolving from an ape as you want to believe?
The mysteries in this life as we know it are far beyond our limited grasp of understanding, Homer.
Even so, there's only one Source in all of creation and many, myself included, call it God.
Basically, we know nothing compared to all there is to know.
Love is all that matters in the end.
Calm down, I was teasing you.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#993840 Oct 2, 2013
The problem with racists and racism you can't tell if someone is racists just by their color or Political Party because then all African Americans would be called bigots by the color and party and if you can say the party of slavery jim crow,lynchings, The KKK can change lets hope you can embrace the GOP the same way you embraced the party of the KKK for the new deal it wasnt a deal for BLACKS it was for Americans so sell your soul

“We doing better...”

Since: Jul 08

we've got to do more

#993841 Oct 2, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah and he just 66. Elmore Leonard, another great one, died just a couple of months ago.
Leonard was a chain smoker who wrote pencil to paper.
Leonard's son, his first name is Peter I think, seems to be a really good writer on his own. Maybe he'll take up where his father left off...not sure if he can do justice to "Justified" though.

Orlando, FL

#993842 Oct 2, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Take it up with Peter King, he's on your 'side'.
Peter King is not in the same position or have the same power as Harry Reid.

He's just one voice in a sea of Republicans. Reid is the voice of Obama.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#993843 Oct 2, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
but seems he's not an alcoholic like the tea party crowd.
they better hope that the DC AA meetings haven't been shut down.
Grayson financed his first campaign out of pocket__the millions that he earned by suing lying thieving military contractors such as Custer-Battles.

During his second campaign the money came to him virtually unsolicited.

He's not a teetotaler__just too ethical to show up in the house chambers after partying with lobbyists and donors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 40 min IBdaMann 54,504
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 55 min forgotten memory 6,410
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,159
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 196,974
Ask Amy 8-30-15 1 hr mrs gladys kravitz 2
News Prosser teacher charged in sexual assault of teen (Mar '07) 2 hr E Pina 16
abby 8-28-15 2 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages