Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1278348 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: May 11

Gettysburg, PA

#987372 Sep 22, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Those receiving Medicare paid the taxes all their working lives.
Those on Medicaid are moochers who never pay any taxes.
Not necessarily. People receiving medicaid today likely worked at some point & paid taxes at the state or federal level. For example the Bush recession drove many who had been paying taxes into medicaid. Many of the children on medicaid have working parents.

Many on Medicare never paid a dime into the program making your statement grossly uninformed.

Medicare is a medical care program for people 65 or older funded through taxes.

Medicaid is a medical care program for poorer people funded through taxes.

Galt & Eed - both moochers - suckling off the government teat.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#987373 Sep 22, 2013
Buy American or Drop Dead wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pea brain, try again, Freddie and Fannie don't make home loans but thanks for playing. There's a thought, learn the true function of an organization before uttering an opinion.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
The value of the mortgages F&F re-sold on the secondary market was guaranteed by the government. As a result, F&F were pressured to take on risks to be profitable but knew they wouldn't suffer the consequences if things turned south.

By December 2007, when banks began to constrict their lending, F&F were really the only lender still operating, responsible for 90% of all mortgages.

But if you really want an eye opener, here are some quotes by Democrats about F&F before the housing market crashed:

Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.):“Through nearly a dozen hearings, where frankly we are trying to fix something that wasn’t broke, Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac and in particular at Fannie Mae under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines.”

Rep. Maxine Waters (D., Calif.):“Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and in particular at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines. Everything in the 1992 act has worked just fine. In fact, the GSEs have exceeded their housing goals.”

Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY): In a hearing several years ago about a report on the safety and soundness of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from their regulator, Armando Falcon, Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Director, Falcon came under fire. Meeks said; “The GSEs have done a tremendous job. There has been nothing that was indicated that’s wrong with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac has come up on its own,” adding the regulator was trying to give the two a “heart surgeon when they really don’t need it.”

Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.):“The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities [Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disaster scenarios.”

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.): In the same hearing several years ago about a report on the safety and soundness of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from their regulator, Falcon, Frank attacked Falcon:“I don’t see anything in your report that raises safety and soundness problems.”

Sen. Christopher Dodd (D., Conn.):“I, just briefly will say, Mr. Chairman, obviously, like most of us here, this is one of the great success stories of all time.”

Sen. Charles Schumer (D., N.Y.):“And my worry is that we’re using the recent safety and soundness concerns, particularly with Freddie, and with a poor regulator, as a straw man to curtail Fannie and Freddie’s mission.”

Franklin Raines, former head of Fannie Mae:“These assets are so riskless that their capital for holding them should be under 2%.

Richard Syron, former head of Freddie Mac:“If I had better foresight, maybe I could have improved things a little bit. But frankly, if I had perfect foresight, I would never have taken this job in the first place.”
Highlander

Houston, TX

#987374 Sep 22, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Not necessarily. People receiving medicaid today likely worked at some point & paid taxes at the state or federal level. For example the Bush recession drove many who had been paying taxes into medicaid. Many of the children on medicaid have working parents.
Many on Medicare never paid a dime into the program making your statement grossly uninformed.
Medicare is a medical care program for people 65 or older funded through taxes.
Medicaid is a medical care program for poorer people funded through taxes.
Galt & Eed - both moochers - suckling off the government teat.
You don't always have to be 65 to get Medicare. I know someone on disability who gets medicare, in their 40's, on medical disability. I don't know all the ins and outs of it except it's not easy to get disability/medicare and if I remember, it's only about 600 a month. It's not enough for anyone to live on unless you just rent a room or someone in the family takes that person in out of pity.

I'm working very hard on my health so I won't be in those shoes. Not judging those who are.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#987375 Sep 22, 2013
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
Flashback
Setting the Record Straight: Six Years of Unheeded Warnings for GSE Reform
http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/ne...
And here's a question for you...
WHO DIRECTED FANNIE/FREDDIE TO PURCHASE SUB PRIME LOANS?
I await your answer
setting the record straight....

In the aftermath of the US Treasury’s decision to seize control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, critics have hit at lax oversight of the mortgage companies.

The dominant theme has been that Congress let the two government-sponsored enterprises morph into a creature that eventually threatened the US financial system. Mike Oxley will have none of it.

Instead, the Ohio Republican who headed the House financial services committee until his retirement after mid-term elections last year, blames the mess on ideologues within the White House as well as Alan Greenspan, former chairman of the Federal Reserve.

The critics have forgotten that the House passed a GSE reform bill in 2005 that could well have prevented the current crisis, says Mr Oxley, now vice-chairman of Nasdaq.

He fumes about the criticism of his House colleagues.“All the handwringing and bedwetting is going on without remembering how the House stepped up on this,” he says.“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”

The House bill, the 2005 Federal Housing Finance Reform Act, would have created a stronger regulator with new powers to increase capital at Fannie and Freddie, to limit their portfolios and to deal with the possibility of receivership.

Mr Oxley reached out to Barney Frank, then the ranking Democrat on the committee and now its chairman, to secure support on the other side of the aisle. But after winning bipartisan support in the House, where the bill passed by 331 to 90 votes, the legislation lacked a champion in the Senate and faced hostility from the Bush administration.

Adamant that the only solution to the problems posed by Fannie and Freddie was their privatisation, the White House attacked the bill. Mr Greenspan also weighed in, saying that the House legislation was worse than no bill at all.

“We missed a golden opportunity that would have avoided a lot of the problems we’re facing now, if we hadn’t had such a firm ideological position at the White House and the Treasury and the Fed,” Mr Oxley says.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8780c35e-7e91-11dd-...

Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005

The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/...

and when did F&F start buying subprime? 2005? so i'd say it wasn't a democrat. Barney's magic wand was no more magical on that issue as any other.

Orlando, FL

#987376 Sep 22, 2013
Buy American or Drop Dead wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pea brain, try again, Freddie and Fannie don't make home loans but thanks for playing. There's a thought, learn the true function of an organization before uttering an opinion.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Time's list of those responsible. Bill Clinton was #1 on the list.

President Clinton's tenure was characterized by economic prosperity and financial deregulation which in many ways set the stage for the excesses of recent years. Among his biggest strokes of free-wheeling capitalism was the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, a cornerstone of Depression-era regulation. He also signed the Commodity Futures Modernization Act which exempted credit-default swaps from regulation. In 1995 CLINTON LOOSENED HOUSING RULES BY REWRITING THE COMMUNITY REINVESTMENT ACT WHICH PUT ADDED PRESSURE ON BANKS TO LEND IN LOW-INCOME NEIGHBORHOODS. It is the subject of heated political and scholarly debate whether any of these moves are to blame for our troubles, but they certainly PLAYED A ROLE IN CREATING A PERMISSIVE LENDING ENVIRONMENT.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/package... #ixzz2feGezxNK

By the way, Abraham Lincoln was quoting a passage in Proverbs.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#987377 Sep 22, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yea, they were on here about the evil Democrats spitting on the graves, etc etc.
Issa made asses out of them & yet they don't care.
RealDave Liberals/Democrats walking out during testimony from families of Benghazi victims!! Dave that’s spitting on the Graves!!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#987378 Sep 22, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
The value of the mortgages F&F re-sold on the secondary market was guaranteed by the government. As a result, F&F were pressured to take on risks to be profitable but knew they wouldn't suffer the consequences if things turned south.
By December 2007, when banks began to constrict their lending, F&F were really the only lender still operating, responsible for 90% of all mortgages.
But if you really want an eye opener, here are some quotes by Democrats about F&F before the housing market crashed:
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.):“Through nearly a dozen hearings, where frankly we are trying to fix something that wasn’t broke, Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac and in particular at Fannie Mae under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines.”
Rep. Maxine Waters (D., Calif.):“Mr. Chairman, we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and in particular at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines. Everything in the 1992 act has worked just fine. In fact, the GSEs have exceeded their housing goals.”
Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-NY): In a hearing several years ago about a report on the safety and soundness of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from their regulator, Armando Falcon, Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight Director, Falcon came under fire. Meeks said; “The GSEs have done a tremendous job. There has been nothing that was indicated that’s wrong with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac has come up on its own,” adding the regulator was trying to give the two a “heart surgeon when they really don’t need it.”
Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.):“The more people, in my judgment, exaggerate a threat of safety and soundness, the more people conjure up the possibility of serious financial losses to the Treasury, which I do not see. I think we see entities [Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac] that are fundamentally sound financially and withstand some of the disaster scenarios.”
Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.): In the same hearing several years ago about a report on the safety and soundness of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac from their regulator, Falcon, Frank attacked Falcon:“I don’t see anything in your report that raises safety and soundness problems.”
Sen. Christopher Dodd (D., Conn.):“I, just briefly will say, Mr. Chairman, obviously, like most of us here, this is one of the great success stories of all time.”
Sen. Charles Schumer (D., N.Y.):“And my worry is that we’re using the recent safety and soundness concerns, particularly with Freddie, and with a poor regulator, as a straw man to curtail Fannie and Freddie’s mission.”
Franklin Raines, former head of Fannie Mae:“These assets are so riskless that their capital for holding them should be under 2%.
Richard Syron, former head of Freddie Mac:“If I had better foresight, maybe I could have improved things a little bit. But frankly, if I had perfect foresight, I would never have taken this job in the first place.”
too bad for you we all know Raines was making trips to the WH so Bush could pass along his agenda.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#987379 Sep 22, 2013
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
RealDave Liberals/Democrats walking out during testimony from families of Benghazi victims!! Dave that’s spitting on the Graves!!
so did republicans.

there. are. pictures.
arko

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

#987380 Sep 22, 2013

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#987381 Sep 22, 2013
TSM wrote:
<quoted text>
Galt you Hit the Target there’s more Moochers than producers and they vote their interest!! Liberal compassion is spending other People’s Money!!
The Republican Party is no longer capable of governing the nation. It's now a fanatical group run out of right-wing states by a cadre of nihilists, Know-nothings, and a handful of billionaires. "
Republicans: From Conservatism to Fanaticism http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-7 ...

Orlando, FL

#987382 Sep 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
These Pictures Prove Fox Is Lying: Democrats Didn't Walk Out Of Benghazi Hearing
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/09/20/these...
so did FOX tell you that there were only 6 out of 24 republicans who stayed for the testimony?
no.
so there ya go. blackout.
Only a few of those pictures portrayed the hearings with the two Benghazi victims' parents.

One of them showed Republicans standing around before taking their seats.

The Congressional panel consisted only of those members on the Committee of Oversight and Government Reform.

All but two democrats walked out according to many and various sources.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a source where one republican walked out.

But that's what you get for believing mediamatters.com . But you're more concerned about Fox giving both sides of any story.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#987383 Sep 22, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>

Many on Medicare never paid a dime into the program
incorrect...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#987384 Sep 22, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny that the economy was doing just fine until the democrats ignored the bad mortgage loan warnings.
Do you know what the unemployment rate was during most of the Bush years (excluding two years following 9/11 before it picked back up again) and before the Democrats caused the housing market crash?
Funny how you keep trying to tie government to the bad mortgages, but can't seem to separate them out to this day based on anything the government did / didn't do.

The fact that Freddie / Fannie are making record profits doesn't seem to bother you in the least.

I wonder why?
TSM

El Paso, TX

#987385 Sep 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so did republicans.
there. are. pictures.
Son here’s the List of Liberals/Democrats that Walked Out, now please provide me with that List of Republicans!!

Carolyn Maloney, New York
Eleanor Holmes Norton, District of Columbia
John F. Tierney, Massachusetts
William Lacy Clay, Jr., Missouri
Stephen Lynch, Massachusetts
Jim Cooper, Tennessee
Gerry Connolly, Virginia
New Democrats for the 113th:
Matt Cartwright, Pennsylvania
Mark Pocan, Wisconsin
Tammy Duckworth, Illinois
Danny K. Davis, Illinois
Peter Welch, Vermont
Tony Cardenas, California
Steven Horsford, Nevada
Michelle Lujan Grisham, New Mexico
Robin Kelly, Illinois
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#987386 Sep 22, 2013
Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You put in a full 16 hour day here today too. Dong, you need a fulltime cooking job...
Nah! wolfies toenails are easy to cook.

You get the toes today. Whoopie!!!!

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

United States

#987387 Sep 22, 2013
Adam 36 wrote:
<quoted text>
They have?
Could you tell us where Obama and Hillary were during the attack?
Could you tell us why no forces were dispatched considering they did not know hoe long it would last?
Could you tell us who was the person or persons directing the operation in real time?
and finally,
Could you tell us why Obama and Hillary lied and blamed it on a video?
I'll tell you why.....
Because they all committed a traitorous act of malfeasance of office.
Plain and simple.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#987388 Sep 22, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Even Obama's precious unions are trying to undo Obamacare...
The Cleveland Clinic is the latest casualty of Obamacare...
Obama thinks he's the hero because Communist Russia has taken our place on the world stage...
And your loyalty is to your party's power hunger in spite of the mess it's made.
Aren't you proud?
lol! Which unlike cons, prove non cons don't run around in lock step son!

That was easy!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#987389 Sep 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
too bad for you we all know Raines was making trips to the WH so Bush could pass along his agenda.
Raines was a financial advisor to Obama.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#987390 Sep 22, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>The Republican Party is no longer capable of governing the nation. It's now a fanatical group run out of right-wing states by a cadre of nihilists, Know-nothings, and a handful of billionaires. "
Republicans: From Conservatism to Fanaticism http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-7 ...
"Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice"

No point in being DemoKKKrat-lite...

Orlando, FL

#987391 Sep 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever, sonic. All Republicans weren't blameless. You just want to believe all Democrats were.

The same Time's list of those most responsible said about Bush:

Bush did push early on for tighter controls over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but he failed to move Congress.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/package... #ixzz2feNWs8PI

It's not all Bush's fault. He inherited an inevitable recession in 2001, and even last year's financial collapse was to some extent the result of unsustainable trends in place long before he moved to Washington. Also, we generally give Presidents both more credit and more blame for economic outcomes than they probably deserve.

http://content.time.com/time/specials/package... #ixzz2feN7bi35

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
abby9-3-15 3 min nag 10
ask amy 9-4-15 8 min nag 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Chicagoan by Birth 197,153
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 54,604
I Remember Mel Reynolds. 5 hr Indicted Again 1
News Should prostitution be less illegal-or more? 11 hr robert 4
"Slave clothes" My New, Original Work by Patric... 12 hr Outlaw Entitlements 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 16 hr contrary opinion 100,673
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages