Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1394988 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: May 11

Aspers, PA

#985623 Sep 19, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect that'll be the rational of the post Obama neo - middle class. The soft coercion of subsidies and tax-credits to purchase exorbitantly priced health insurance for families earning less than $90,000 a year, along with already crippling taxes, will squeeze the resolve out of a lot of people. Obama is forcing formerly productive Americans to swallow their pride and get in line.
Whatever the logical reaction of a society cowed by its government may be, it isn't going to be pleasant.
For qualified families making under 90K unless you are telling me every family making 90K or less gets a subsidy.

Are you people just stupid?
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#985624 Sep 19, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
Ed Schultz: "Rush Limbaugh's a lowdown dirty larrr!"
Just let the idiot4life Ed Schultz whim and whine... Fuckhim4life... Hell Ed Schultz has nothing else.. but moron4life...

It's the culture...

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#985625 Sep 19, 2013
There's been another plant explosion in Oklahoma. This one a chemical plant.

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing a pattern of plant explosions? Isn't this the third one in the past six months?

Maybe it's more of a common occurrence than I'm aware.
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985626 Sep 19, 2013
mdbuilder wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect that'll be the rational of the post Obama neo - middle class. The soft coercion of subsidies and tax-credits to purchase exorbitantly priced health insurance for families earning less than $90,000 a year, along with already crippling taxes, will squeeze the resolve out of a lot of people. Obama is forcing formerly productive Americans to swallow their pride and get in line.
Whatever the logical reaction of a society cowed by its government may be, it isn't going to be pleasant.
Currently in NYC it pays to stay home and collect welfare vs being a public school teacher at around $23 per hour.

I've heard the tipping point for working vs sponging regarding healthcare will be at about $50K per year for a family of four--2 non-smokers and 2 children.

Aspers, PA

#985627 Sep 19, 2013
martinezjosei wrote:
<quoted text>
One word:
Fast & Furious
Counting not your string suit?
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#985628 Sep 19, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance plans offered in the new marketplaces will have to cover a core set of services called “essential health benefits.” Included on the list of 10 benefits are mental-health and substance-use disorder services, which include behavioral health treatment, counseling and psychotherapy. Specifically, as part of what’s considered preventive services, plans will also cover alcohol-misuse screening and counseling, depression screening for adults and adolescents, domestic and interpersonal violence screening for women, and behavioral assessments for children.
Here are two important points about mental-health coverage under Obamacare. First, the coverage for behavioral health services must be generally comparable with coverage for medical and surgical care. Second, plans offered in the marketplace have to cover preventive services without charging customers a co-payment or coinsurance even if you haven’t met your yearly deductible. But the services have to be delivered by a network provider.
Anyone who claims to want to improve mental health access as a response to gun violence AND opposes Obamacare is a lying weasel. Make that a hypocritical lying weasel.
http://www.dailykos.com/
Lois?
No wonder you are an idiot lily...dailykos for losers...

It's the culture..

Orlando, FL

#985629 Sep 19, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I about fell out of my chair when I heard him say that! The man is clueless.
Wonder why he thinks he has to raise the ceiling if it doesn't increase the debt? The ceiling would stay put otherwise.
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985630 Sep 19, 2013
Obama's O'Bysmal Record

The president has had an almost uniformly bad start to his second term.

Scandals

The woe-begotten implementation of his health law

A chaotic unraveling of the once-vaunted “Arab Spring”

The ascendancy of rival nations on the world stage and the intractable partisan standoff in Congress have left Americans skeptical of Obama’s election-year plea to “hold on” just a bit longer to let his agenda work

In survival mode and stripped of the political stars who helped the administration stay on offense for the first four years, Team Obama is looking bereft.

The result of the White House summit of former political aides who helped the president settle on trying to hang the Syria debacle around the necks of Congressional Republicans suggest that David Axelrod & Co. themselves have lost their chops whilst lolling in MSNBC green rooms and Hoovering up corporate cash on K Street.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#985631 Sep 19, 2013
The latest House Republican health care reform plan, unveiled Wednesday, with many of the party's favorite concepts, isn't going anywhere. The Senate won't pass it, and President Obama wouldn't sign it.

But if it did actually take the place of Obamacare, some experts say that it wouldn't do much to help America's poor and uninsured.

The plan, drawn up by the House Republican Study Committee, starts with repealing the 2010 health care reform law. It then aims to lower health care costs through a few mechanisms. Income and payroll tax deductions would be available to individuals ($7,500) and families ($20,000) for health coverage. Insurance plans could be sold across state lines. The federal government would pump $25 billion into state high-risk pools for people with preexisting conditions. Medical malpractice laws would be reformed to reduce doctors' risk of litigation.

If those ideas sound familiar, that's because they are, Tim Jost, a Washington and Lee professor who supports Obamacare, told TPM. They're proposals that conservatives have been pushing for a long time.

"There's nothing new in here," Jost said. "It's a repackaging of all the ideas that Republicans have been throwing out there for years and that don't address the problem."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/why-the-gop-s...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#985632 Sep 19, 2013
Boehner Caves to the Cruz Cabal’s Demands

House Speaker John Boehner confirmed Wednesday that he’s going along with the conservative activists’ demands to tie funding to the government to defunding Obamacare. Considering how unpopular that is with voters, it’s a breathtaking indication of how little Republicans have learned.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09...
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985633 Sep 19, 2013
Obama's O'Bysmal Record

It seems like it has been 10 years, but in reality it has been less than 10 months since the president’s second inauguration.

And as President Obama tries to put Syria behind him, nothing on the domestic agenda looks promising. I don’t know what the opposite of the Midas Touch is, but that’s what Obama has…

Obama was also dealt an embarrassing blow this week as Larry Summers withdrew his name from consideration for Federal Reserve Chairman. I wasn’t even for Summers getting the job, but this was another telling sign that the president lacks any political capital on the Hill — among members of either party. If he wasn’t so weak, he might have gotten his pick for the Fed, but as it is, he must defer to the loud voices making demands.

The president does not have any influence with members of Congress now, and he isn’t going to have any going forward.

I think it’s safe to say he cannot take a leadership role in the looming debt ceiling and budget battles…

Good grief, even the weather won’t cooperate with the president:
A leaked copy of the Fifth Assessment Report of the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change states that,”there has been a 60 percent increase in the amount of ocean covered with ice” in the past year, with some scientists now even predicting an upcoming phase of global cooling. The melting ice cap was supposed to be the final canary in the coal mine. Well, the canary is bigger and stronger than ever.
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985634 Sep 19, 2013
Obama's Abysmal Record
(As you might have noted: the list is too long to fit in one post)

In the first year of his second term, the president has failed on virtually every front.

He put his prestige on the line to pass federal gun-control legislation–and lost.

He made climate change a central part of his inaugural address–and nothing has happened.

The president went head-to-head with Republicans on sequestration–and he failed.

He’s been forced to delay implementation of the employer mandate, a key feature of the Affordable Care Act. ObamaCare is more unpopular than ever, and it’s turning out to be a “train wreck”(to quote Democratic Senator Max Baucus) in practice.

The most recent jobs report was the worst in a year, with the Obama recovery already qualifying as a historically weak one.

Immigration reform is going nowhere.

And then there’s Syria, which has turned out to be an epic disaster.(To be sure, Mr. Obama’s Middle East failures go well beyond Syria–but Syria is the most conspicuous failure right now).

Cue the lib's retorts that whine it's all GWB's fault.

Aspers, PA

#985635 Sep 19, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Counting not your string suit?
Strong not string.
No Surprize

Saint Petersburg, FL

#985636 Sep 19, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Boehner Caves to the Cruz Cabal’s Demands
House Speaker John Boehner confirmed Wednesday that he’s going along with the conservative activists’ demands to tie funding to the government to defunding Obamacare. Considering how unpopular that is with voters, it’s a breathtaking indication of how little Republicans have learned.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/09...
Spammer: The act of obnoxiously doing repeated cut-n-paste for attention all day long to disturb others.

sonicmoron, a deranged dumbass on a forum, no job, running on complete empty, a 58 year old moron posting inane crap or delusional spam of no relevance for only their deranged amusement to create inane argument 24/7..

Being challenged in life is inevitable, you being a deranged moron and remaining on a big government reservation or existing on a preserve is optional.

It's the culture...
TSM

El Paso, TX

#985637 Sep 19, 2013
Was this another off prompter remark by the president’ Raising Debt Ceiling Does Not Increase Our Debt’ I assume by the President’s remarks he looks at the American Taxpayers as a Credit Card…Insane!!

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#985638 Sep 19, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wonder why he thinks he has to raise the ceiling if it doesn't increase the debt? The ceiling would stay put otherwise.
Because he has no financial knowledge at all. I bet he has never balanced a checkbook.

Orlando, FL

#985639 Sep 19, 2013
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
A patient has the right to refuse treatment at any time, even if it means that they will die.
This is true. And sometimes the treatment kills them.

"First do no harm."

I'm not too thrilled with the medical profession - no offense to you personally.
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985640 Sep 19, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I about fell out of my chair when I heard him say that! The man is clueless.
The man is an empty suit who used to make good speeches as long as he was in front of a teleprompter. That is not even helping him at this point. If not for most of the media lackeys who continue to look the other way and still try to present Obama in a positive light as if he was still healing the planet...

But in watching the Obama presidency dissolve before our eyes, there is a cautionary tale to be told. Every presidency falls short of the expectations that the candidate sets.

But no man has ever promised more and delivered less than the current occupant of the Oval Office.

All of the extravagant promises and claims — of “Yes We Can!” and “we’re the ones we’ve been waiting for;” of hope and change and slowing the rise of the oceans; of claiming his candidacy would “ring out across this land as a hymn that will heal this nation, repair this world, make this time different than all the rest”— lie in ruin.
TSM

El Paso, TX

#985641 Sep 19, 2013
Navy shooter’ Aaron Alexis ‘met the Liberals prerequisite to be a Liberal/Democrat ‘Not Happy With America ‘Obama, Aaron could be your Son!!
Annie

Jamaica, NY

#985642 Sep 19, 2013
America Continues to be Saddled with the Empty Suit

“Style,” as the president would have it, matters. Adversaries and allies, foreign and domestic, take a measure of the president’s steel. They judge whether he can be trusted, whether he will back down, whether he has what it takes to lead his country and the world.

In the past few weeks, I have encountered not a single person outside the White House, Republican or Democrat, who has kind words for Obama’s performance. Scornful may not be too strong a word for the consensus view, though it is scorn leavened, at least among the more thoughtful critics, with appreciation for the no-good-options reality of Syria.

This attitude is especially important because it arrives at such a dangerous moment for the country, with looming deadlines on government funding and the debt ceiling, and because it is amplified by presidential mishandling of other matters…

So Obama enters yet another treacherous period in a weakened state, with his political allies distrustful and his political opponents caught up in their own dysfunction. Machiavelli advised that it is better to be feared than loved; at the moment, in Congress, Obama is neither.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 18 min SweLL GirL 8,874
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 21 min IB DaMann 60,062
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 30 min Go Blue Forever 102,462
Observations 33 min Raydot 134
Word (Dec '08) 34 min GEORGIA 6,412
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 35 min RACE 1,667
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 36 min RACE 2,690
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Coffee Party 216,685
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages