Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1277098 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

PDUPONT

Belchertown, MA

#977800 Sep 7, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
He gave that man in a wheelchair his undivided attention and listened to his every word bending down to his eye level until he heard the entire story about his condition. He exchanged dialogue with him showing obvious empathy for his illness even though many other people were standing around waiting to shake his hand.
The issue of medical marijuana was not as understood or accepted in 2007 as it is today. Romney was put in a position of either having to spend a considerable amount of time debating this controversial issue with this one man or stating his stance on legalizing marijuana - medical or otherwise - while expressing his empathy and leaving it at that. It was not the time or place for anyone to ask a politician such a loaded question.

Maybe you can see it in a different light now.
All of your other claims are just that. Claims without substance.
I hate to be a nitpicker Carol, but that You Tube exchange happened in 2011, not in 2007 like you claimed. Do try to keep up with the rest of the class. I'm not going to let you go off on a tangent about marijuana laws to avoid the discussion at hand.
I'm not making any claims about Romney's lies, they're documented.
Mitt Romney in a campaign speech in Defiance Ohio on October 25, 2012;
"I saw a story today, that one of the great manufacturers in this state, Jeep, now owned by the Italians, is thinking of moving all production to China," he said, to boos from the audience. "I will fight for every good job in America. I’m going to fight to make sure trade is fair, and if it’s fair, America will win."
Even after that story was refuted by Chrysler he doubled down on it with a TV ad;
"Who will do more for the auto industry? Not Barack Obama," the ad began, adding, "Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job."
His line about fighting for every American job is laughable considering the fact that workers from Sensata in Illinois asked him to intercede when Bain was shipping their entire plant to China and got the cold shoulder.
Romney TV Ad,“Right Choice”: President Obama quietly announced a plan to gut welfare reform by dropping work requirements. Under Obama’s plan, you wouldn’t have to work and wouldn’t have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check. And welfare-to-work goes back to being plain old welfare. Mitt Romney will restore the work requirement because it works.
It’s simply not true that the administration’s policy will allow states to “just send you your welfare check.” Under the policy, states must meet a whole new set of federal requirements in order to obtain and keep a waiver. Plus, states have an incentive to get people off welfare and into jobs, since that would free TANF funds for other services for low-income families.
On June 28, 2012 Romney stated in prepared remarks;
" ‘Obamacare’ puts the federal government between you and your doctor."

If the health care law did get between doctors and patients, you would think most doctors would complain loudly. While some do, the leading physician advocacy group, the American Medical Association, does not. On the contrary, the AMA supports the law.

After the Supreme Court upheld the health reform act, AMA president Jeremy Lazarus issued a statement praising the decision, because the law "will allow patients to see their doctors earlier rather than waiting for treatment until they are sicker and care is more expensive."
I don't just pull stuff out of my anal orifice like you do Carol, like your claim that the House was putting forth legislation when in fact it wasn't even in session.

Since: May 11

Gettysburg, PA

#977801 Sep 7, 2013
steve richards wrote:
NOW: "This kind of attack is a challenge to the world. We cannot accept a world where women and children and innocent civilians are gassed on a terrible scale. This kind of attack threatens our national security interests by violating well-established international norms against the use of chemical weapons.... If we are saying in a clear and decisive but very limited way, we send a shot across the bow saying,'Stop doing this,' that can have a positive impact on our national security over the long term." — Remarks at meeting with Baltic leaders, Aug. 30, 2013.
What, if anything, did president Trayvon say about Saddam gassing the Kurds?
I have some news, Stevie. Sadam used chemical weapons in the late 80's & Obama was not President.

Maybe you should ask Reagan why he did nothing.
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#977802 Sep 7, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some news, Stevie. Sadam used chemical weapons in the late 80's & Obama was not President.
Maybe you should ask Reagan why he did nothing.
We were allied more with Iraq after what happened in Iran back then, different era libtard.

Now it's not an issue because under Obama, we have no allies as he is the laughing stock of the international community, Reichtard.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#977804 Sep 7, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some news, Stevie. Sadam used chemical weapons in the late 80's & Obama was not President.
Maybe you should ask Reagan why he did nothing.
he did something.

History lesson: When the United States looked the other way on chemical weapons

.....the Reagan administration knew full well it was selling materials to Iraq that was being used for the manufacture of chemical weapons, and that Iraq was using such weapons, but U.S. officials were more concerned about whether Iran would win rather than how Iraq might eke out a victory. Dobbs noted that Iraq’s chemical weapons’ use was “hardly a secret, with the Iraqi military issuing this warning in February 1984:”The invaders should know that for every harmful insect, there is an insecticide capable of annihilating it ... and Iraq possesses this annihilation insecticide.”

In 1988, Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein ordered chemical weapons attacks against Kurdish resistance forces, but the relationship with Iraq at the time was deemed too important to rupture over the matter. The United States did not even impose sanctions.

Without much apparent irony, two decades later Rumsfeld and other members of the then George W. Bush administration repeatedly cited Hussein’s use of chemical weapons against own people as a justification for invading Iraq.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-chec...
PDUPONT

Belchertown, MA

#977805 Sep 7, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dems passed Obamacare despite to this day still unwanted by the majority.
Why would this be any different?
Actually when you poll on individual provisions of the ACA like Guaranteed issue, extended family coverage, elimination of lifetime caps, insurance rebates and so on they have majority support. It's the individual mandate that drags the whole thing down but it's the only way that things like covering those with pre existing conditions and eliminating the cap work. The only other option is single payer.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#977806 Sep 7, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Rush Limbaugh has written a kid's book called—wait for it—"Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims: Time-Travel Adventures with Exceptional Americans." It's being published on October 29th.
Here is the cover:....
Eagle-eyed readers might have noticed that Limbaugh appears to have turned himself into American revolutionary hero Paul Revere—an audacious move, certainly. Rush Revere also happens to be the main character in Limbaugh's iced tea line, "Two If By Tea."
Here's how Limbaugh described the book:
Rush Revere is a substitute school teacher at a middle school anywhere in America, and he will take a couple of students with him to the first Thanksgiving, and they will learn all about it. Again it is a unique way of reaching the target audience here, which is America's young people -- who are, sadly, not being taught what is in this book. And what's in this book is the historical record, accurate historical record of the Pilgrims. It's who they were, why they existed, where they were, how they got here, what they did when they got here, and what they did and why it mattered and related to the founding of this country.
There's also going to be an audiobook, which we assume Limbaugh will be reading. All parents will probably want to tuck their children in at night and switch on the smooth sounds of Rush Limbaugh holding forth about American history.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/05/rush...
Let's hope Yeahoo reads it. Heaven knows some book- learnin' just might seep into his head?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#977807 Sep 7, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>Let's hope Yeahoo reads it. Heaven knows some book- learnin' just might seep into his head?
i don't know about that.

Scores Of Children to Be Disappointed When Grandparents Give Them Rush Limbaugh’s Book

Rush Limbaugh’s white haired army of senility has rushed to Amazon to pre-order his children’s book, thus insuring that a wave of disappointment will sweep across American kiddom this holiday season.

There are a lot of great books you could give a child for their birthday or Christmas, but the historically inaccurate ramblings of college dropout former drug addict who is trying to make sure that Little Jimmy never passes social studies isn’t one of them.

The childhood trauma associated with getting this book could turn your grandbabies into same sex marriage supporting, atheistic Democrats. They will never forget their disappointment, and they will take out their frustration by rejecting everything that you and Rush Limbaugh stand for.

There is about to be an epidemic of disappointment sweeping the country this holiday season, as Rush Limbaugh’s book is about to replace a lump of coal as a child’s least favorite gift.

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/06/scores...
Lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#977808 Sep 7, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>how about skinny black junkies like O'bama sucking on big fat white cigars like Larry Sinclairs?
Your husbands name is Larry? And he's fat? Talk about a double whammy. Sux to be you
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#977809 Sep 7, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some news, Stevie. Sadam used chemical weapons in the late 80's & Obama was not President.
Maybe you should ask Reagan why he did nothing.
Obama is gonna start World War III. What a dumbass!

Why are you such an idiot and whiner? A 66 years old man like you should know better DumbDave...

It's the culture...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977810 Sep 7, 2013
Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
We were allied more with Iraq after what happened in Iran back then, different era libtard.
Now it's not an issue because under Obama, we have no allies as he is the laughing stock of the international community, Reichtard.
Obama has deliberately pulled the rug out from under the US allies. It wasn't even a blunder.

This is the same as Carter turning against the Shah of Iran and permitting the threat Iran is today due to something he didn't like that occurred in the 1950s.

Both are blind ideologues who think people should be punished for foggy reasons that clear thinking people cannot grasp.

No one in Mid East trusts Obama. His actions are that of a Mad man.
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#977811 Sep 7, 2013
Lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Your husbands name is Larry? And he's fat? Talk about a double whammy. Sux to be you
Almost as bad as it would suck to be your husband for sure.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977812 Sep 7, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't know about that.
Scores Of Children to Be Disappointed When Grandparents Give Them Rush Limbaugh’s Book
Rush Limbaugh’s white haired army of senility has rushed to Amazon to pre-order his children’s book, thus insuring that a wave of disappointment will sweep across American kiddom this holiday season.
There are a lot of great books you could give a child for their birthday or Christmas, but the historically inaccurate ramblings of college dropout former drug addict who is trying to make sure that Little Jimmy never passes social studies isn’t one of them.
The childhood trauma associated with getting this book could turn your grandbabies into same sex marriage supporting, atheistic Democrats. They will never forget their disappointment, and they will take out their frustration by rejecting everything that you and Rush Limbaugh stand for.
There is about to be an epidemic of disappointment sweeping the country this holiday season, as Rush Limbaugh’s book is about to replace a lump of coal as a child’s least favorite gift.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/06/scores...
Good grief, no wonder the Left is loosing steam.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#977813 Sep 7, 2013
Lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Your husbands name is Larry? And he's fat? Talk about a double whammy. Sux to be you
You are absolutely pathetic and a dummy lily...

It's the culture..
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977814 Sep 7, 2013
MAD DOG BUSTER wrote:
<quoted text>Just curious, do you think that Obama was the first black president because before people only wanted a white president.
Deep thoughts
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977815 Sep 7, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't know about that.
Scores Of Children to Be Disappointed When Grandparents Give Them Rush Limbaugh’s Book
Rush Limbaugh’s white haired army of senility has rushed to Amazon to pre-order his children’s book, thus insuring that a wave of disappointment will sweep across American kiddom this holiday season.
There are a lot of great books you could give a child for their birthday or Christmas, but the historically inaccurate ramblings of college dropout former drug addict who is trying to make sure that Little Jimmy never passes social studies isn’t one of them.
The childhood trauma associated with getting this book could turn your grandbabies into same sex marriage supporting, atheistic Democrats. They will never forget their disappointment, and they will take out their frustration by rejecting everything that you and Rush Limbaugh stand for.
There is about to be an epidemic of disappointment sweeping the country this holiday season, as Rush Limbaugh’s book is about to replace a lump of coal as a child’s least favorite gift.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/06/scores...
Idea for children's history book title

" I Came, I Saw, I Skedaddled: Decisive moments in Barack Obama history"
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#977816 Sep 7, 2013
The Bush Burden

He’s there in every corner of Congress where a microphone fronts a politician, there in Russia and the British Parliament and the Vatican. You may think George W. Bush is at home in his bathtub, painting pictures of his toenails, but in fact he’s the biggest presence in the debate over what to do in Syria.

His legacy is paralysis, hypocrisy and uncertainty practiced in varying degrees by those who want to learn from history and those who deny it. Let’s grant some validity to the waffling, though none of it is coming from the architects of the worst global fiasco in a generation.

Time should not soften what President George W. Bush, and his apologists, did in an eight-year war costing the United States more than a trillion dollars, 4,400 American soldiers dead and the displacement of two million Iraqis. The years should not gauze over how the world was conned into an awful conflict. History should hold him accountable for the current muddy debate over what to do in the face of a state-sanctioned mass killer.

Blame Bush? Of course, President Obama has to lead; it’s his superpower now, his armies to move, his stage. But the prior president gave every world leader, every member of Congress a reason to keep the dogs of war on a leash. The isolationists in the Republican Party are a direct result of the Bush foreign policy. A war-weary public that can turn an eye from children being gassed — or express doubt that it happened — is another poisoned fruit of the Bush years. And for the nearly 200 members of both houses of Congress who voted on the Iraq war in 2002 and are still in office and facing a vote this month, Bush shadows them like Scrooge’s ghost.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/...

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#977817 Sep 7, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't know about that.
Scores Of Children to Be Disappointed When Grandparents Give Them Rush Limbaugh’s Book
Rush Limbaugh’s white haired army of senility has rushed to Amazon to pre-order his children’s book, thus insuring that a wave of disappointment will sweep across American kiddom this holiday season.
There are a lot of great books you could give a child for their birthday or Christmas, but the historically inaccurate ramblings of college dropout former drug addict who is trying to make sure that Little Jimmy never passes social studies isn’t one of them.
The childhood trauma associated with getting this book could turn your grandbabies into same sex marriage supporting, atheistic Democrats. They will never forget their disappointment, and they will take out their frustration by rejecting everything that you and Rush Limbaugh stand for.
There is about to be an epidemic of disappointment sweeping the country this holiday season, as Rush Limbaugh’s book is about to replace a lump of coal as a child’s least favorite gift.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/09/06/scores...
That's just a little harsh coming from someone who never thought about writing a book, much less doing it. The lump of coal you talk about. I saw it given once...to my Grandfather as a joke. I suppose if it was given to you, there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth....
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#977818 Sep 7, 2013
There are people on the public stage who have genuinely agonized over lessons of the Bush disaster. They say, with some conviction, that they will never be fooled again.

But for all of these neocons stuck on the wrong side of history — Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, John Bolton, say the names loud and clear — it’s not a change in conscience at work; it’s a change in presidents. Later this month, dozens of Republicans in Congress will make the same decision, simply because they hate Obama, and would oppose him if he declared Grandmother Appreciation Day.

The voice that stands out most by his silence, the one that grates with its public coyness, is Bush himself. He has refused to take a side in the Syrian conflict. The president, he said,“has a tough choice to make.” Beyond that,“I refuse to be roped in.”

This is cowardice on a grand scale. Having set in motion a doctrine that touches all corners of the earth and influences every leader with a say in how to approach tyrants who slaughter innocents, Bush retreats to his bathtub to paint.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977819 Sep 7, 2013
Microsoft is the industry leader in backdoor access to Govt - everyone is vulnerable

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#977820 Sep 7, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>That's just a little harsh coming from someone who never thought about writing a book, much less doing it. The lump of coal you talk about. I saw it given once...to my Grandfather as a joke. I suppose if it was given to you, there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth....
I found some candy coal that I gave to my son for Christmas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min woodtick57 196,951
Black lives matter 2 hr nonegs 3
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IBdaMann 54,547
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 2 hr Breezy _Soul 1,722
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 6,433
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 523
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr Red_Forman 5,427
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Prince Reebus 100,645
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages