Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1396592 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

WOW

New York, NY

#964562 Aug 15, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
so you're a satirist?
i didn't know we were brothers in arms.
No BIGOT RACISTS no I dont care HYPOCRITES racists and bigots are a dime a dozen we are not BROTHERS OF ANYTYPE
LCNlin

United States

#964563 Aug 15, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It would appear the cons programming to eliminate votes is working son!
Doubt it.
Democrats will be active,
loud and proud fighting GOP attempts to limit voting rights. Republicans whine will begin

Attorney General Eric Holder announced Thursday that the Justice Department is opening a new front in the battle for voter protections, a response to the Supreme Court ruling that he said dealt a major setback to the Voting Rights Act.

In a speech to the National Urban League in Philadelphia, Holder said that as its first move, the department is asking a federal court in San Antonio to require the state of Texas to obtain advance approval before putting future political redistricting changes in place.

The attorney general called the Voting Rights Act "the cornerstone of modern civil rights law" and said that "we cannot allow the slow unraveling of the progress that so many, throughout history, have sacrificed so much to achieve."

The Supreme Court, on a 5-4 vote, threw out the most powerful part of the landmark Voting Rights Act, the law that became a major turning point in black Americans' struggle for equal rights and political power.

The move in Texas is the Justice Department's first action to further safeguard voting rights following the Supreme Court decision on June 25, said Holder, "but it will not be our last."

"Even as Congress considers updates to the Voting Rights Act in light of the court's ruling, we plan, in the meantime, to fully utilize the law's remaining sections to ensure that the voting rights of all American citizens are protected," Holder said.

The requirement to obtain advance approval from either the department or a federal court before changing voting laws is available under the Voting Rights Act when intentional discrimination against voters is found.

The section of the Voting Rights Act Holder invoked can be applied to all types of voting changes — from moving the location of a polling place to imposing stringent requirements such as photo identification at the polls.

In the Texas case, the department is not directly intervening but is filing what's known as a statement of interest in support of the private groups that have filed suit.

Holder said that based on evidence of intentional racial discrimination presented last year in a redistricting case in Texas, "we believe that the state of Texas should be required to go through a preclearance process whenever it changes its voting laws and practices."

In Texas, there is a history of "pervasive voting-related discrimination against racial minorities," Holder added.

A three-judge panel in San Antonio has been looking at Texas voting maps since 2011, when the court threw out boundaries drawn by a then-GOP supermajority in the statehouse.

An ensuing legal battle between the state and a coalition of minority rights groups wreaked havoc on the 2012 elections in Texas, delaying party primaries that ultimately used temporary maps drawn by the court.

Under the direction of GOP Gov. Rick Perry last month, the Legislature ratified those interim maps as permanent over the objection of Democrats, who still believe the maps are biased and underrepresent minorities.

Aides to Perry and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#964564 Aug 15, 2013
American Lady wrote:
MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD CLAIM: WE'VE GOT 'GOODS ON OBAMA'
Son of jailed leader says evidence could put U.S. president in prison
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/08/muslim-brotherhood...
Can't say WND is exactly an unbiased source, so I did some research and the allegation is, if nothing else, suspicious.

Examiner, "We know that this administration is supplying weapons to the al-Nursa Front in Syria. We have heard the claim that the CIA was allegedly running guns in Benghazi. Evidence seems to also suggest the illegal weapons trafficking could have been the reason why four Americans were killed in Benghazi."

http://www.examiner.com/article/muslim-brothe...

However, apparently Senators McCain and Graham are also culpable according to this article - if any of it is true.

Considering the self-imposed censorship of the liberal media not to expose any wrongdoing on the part of this administration, we probably shouldn't hold our breath that this will even see the light of day even if it is true.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#964565 Aug 15, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting move at faux
FOX can see the handwriting on the wall.

crazy can't last forever.
LCNlin

United States

#964566 Aug 15, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
get back to me after the 41st vote to stop Obamacare.
and i didn't know Boehner was a tea party freak.
It look increasingly likely that Hillary Clinton will be taking another shot at the presidency in 2016. She hasn't announced her candidacy yet and may not do so for at least two more years, but preparations appear to be underway – and pretty much everyone seems to be assuming that getting the Democratic nomination is a done deal for her. Which, of course, would mean that we might soon have our first woman president.

Time will tell how this will all play out, but at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that if Mrs Clinton actually does become the 45th "POTUS", it will not be because she or any other power players in the Democratic party spent years devising ingenious schemes to disenfranchise blocs of voters who tend to support the opposition.

On Monday, in the first of a series of policy speeches, Hillary Clinton spoke about the worrying implications of the US supreme court's recent decision to strike down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act (VRA). The provision required states with a history of discrimination to get pre-clearance from the Department of Justice (DOJ) before they passed any laws that changed voting procedures. Clinton pointed out that in the past 15 years, the VRA has been used to block nearly 90 attempts to pass discriminatory voting laws. Since the provision was struck down just over a month ago, Republican law makers in several states have wasted no time ramming through highly restrictive voting laws that will make it more difficult, if not impossible, for millions of Americans to exercise their right to vote.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#964567 Aug 15, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't say WND is exactly an unbiased source, so I did some research and the allegation is, if nothing else, suspicious.
Examiner, "We know that this administration is supplying weapons to the al-Nursa Front in Syria. We have heard the claim that the CIA was allegedly running guns in Benghazi. Evidence seems to also suggest the illegal weapons trafficking could have been the reason why four Americans were killed in Benghazi."
http://www.examiner.com/article/muslim-brothe...
However, apparently Senators McCain and Graham are also culpable according to this article - if any of it is true.
Considering the self-imposed censorship of the liberal media not to expose any wrongdoing on the part of this administration, we probably shouldn't hold our breath that this will even see the light of day even if it is true.
LOL! You're the only one who jumped on this nonsense.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

#964568 Aug 15, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hip-hop is more dangerous than obesity. But at least Moochelle has identified the target audience for obesity.
Honey Boo Boo gets paid for what they do on TV.
So do the Kardashians. They think the ridiculous
is what sane people want to watch. The network is wasting
their money and their reputation. Kim is gross.
LCNlin

United States

#964569 Aug 15, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
After working 34 years as a court clerk in Kansas City, Sharon Snyder was fired in June for giving Robert Nelson a public document that showed him how to properly seek DNA tests, a move that eventually led to his release from prison three decades after being wrongfully convicted of rape.
Despite being punished for helping Nelson, Snyder told MSNBC's "All In With Chris Hayes" on Wednesday she would do it all over again.
"Oh yes, I would do it again," Snyder said in her first national television interview with Nelson. "I am so happy that he got exonerated on this charge, and felt that would happen or he wouldn't have filed that motion to start out with."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/shar...
Carol is back to birth certificates?
Democrats encouraged the bither movement for years.
Like the tea party, birthes help the democrats as both never understood the term counterproductive ;-)
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#964570 Aug 15, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
North Carolina Gov. Patrick McCrory has signed a sweeping voting reform bill that imposes strict photo identification requirements on the state's 4.5 million voters, rolls back the early voting period and repeals one-stop registration during early voting.
Almost immediately following the signing, civil rights groups filed lawsuits in federal court challenging the law.
Are they picketing CVS for refusing to sell nail polish remover without a photo ID?

Orlando, FL

#964571 Aug 15, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Well here's a total crock of sht from the resident liar.
Second Harvest also participated in the Ashe County outreach program.
Mountain pride apparently means not understanding how to apply for benefits via computer or be bothered by remember the balance on the card. Oh my!
There are dozens of other outreach programs in Ashe County NC were illiteracy remains something to take pride in. www.ashechildren.org
Unfortunately for you, I saw the real people who live in Ashe County on a real documentary talking about how the people there used to take enormous pride in being independent and carving a living out of the wilderness as their ancestors did - "mountain pride". And how they refused taking food stamps but a SNAP government worker, Brandi Legge, went about finding a way to get them dependent on the government anyway.

Had to do with government quotas and a nanny state, I believe.

The real people in that real documentary in Ashe County said lumber mills now can't find enough people to employ and restaurants can't fill waitress positions because the people there have gotten used to being taken care of there by Nanny Government.

How did those people survive all those years in the mountains before SNAP and Brandi Legge came along?

You're much too gullible for your own good.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#964572 Aug 15, 2013
Head of Mo. Rodeo Group Resigns, Cites Obama Clown

The president of the Missouri Rodeo Cowboy Association has resigned after getting flak about a State Fair event in which a rodeo clown riled up the crowd as a bull chased a masked man imitating President Barack Obama.

An attorney for rodeo announcer Mark Ficken said Tuesday that his resignation from the group is not an acknowledgment of wrongdoing on his part but rather a protest that the association has not banned the rodeo clown from its membership.

Ficken's resignation from the rodeo group comes as he tries to hold on to his job as superintendent of the Boonville School District. The school system announced Monday that it is hiring an investigator to look into whether Ficken was involved in any "inappropriate conduct" during Saturday's bull riding event at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia.

Missouri's elected officials have denounced the rodeo clown act as disrespectful to Obama.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/head-mo-ro...
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#964573 Aug 15, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone should be responsible to pay for their own medical care, by whatever means they choose.
Peppy tried to pay his bill with a goat and two chickens, that didn't turn out so well.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#964574 Aug 15, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
It look increasingly likely that Hillary Clinton will be taking another shot at the presidency in 2016. She hasn't announced her candidacy yet and may not do so for at least two more years, but preparations appear to be underway – and pretty much everyone seems to be assuming that getting the Democratic nomination is a done deal for her. Which, of course, would mean that we might soon have our first woman president.
History repeats itself.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#964575 Aug 15, 2013
I notice rightwingers get dumber every day. I'm basing this on the stuff you post, don't shoot the messenger.

Homer congratulates you all on achieving your goal.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#964576 Aug 15, 2013
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>No BIGOT RACISTS no I dont care HYPOCRITES racists and bigots are a dime a dozen we are not BROTHERS OF ANYTYPE
but i like black people.

white people? depends. as long as they're not a racist trying to deny their own racism by insinuating that everyone else is the racist, i have no problem with them.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#964577 Aug 15, 2013
LCNlin wrote:
<quoted text>
Time will tell how this will all play out, but at least we can take comfort in the knowledge that if Mrs Clinton actually does become the 45th "POTUS", it will not be because she or any other power players in the Democratic party spent years devising ingenious schemes to disenfranchise blocs of voters who tend to support the opposition.
On Monday, in the first of a series of policy speeches, Hillary Clinton spoke about the worrying implications of the US supreme court's recent decision to strike down a key provision of the Voting Rights Act (VRA). The provision required states with a history of discrimination to get pre-clearance from the Department of Justice (DOJ) before they passed any laws that changed voting procedures. Clinton pointed out that in the past 15 years, the VRA has been used to block nearly 90 attempts to pass discriminatory voting laws. Since the provision was struck down just over a month ago, Republican law makers in several states have wasted no time ramming through highly restrictive voting laws that will make it more difficult, if not impossible, for millions of Americans to exercise their right to vote.
She is practically a lock to win, I can't se her turning her back on the presidency.

Maybe if a competent Republican contender(sorry, I couldn't hold back a laugh) should step in she might not want to give it a go.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#964578 Aug 15, 2013
After working 34 years as a court clerk in Kansas City, Sharon Snyder was fired in June for giving Robert Nelson a public document that showed him how to properly seek DNA tests, a move that eventually led to his release from prison three decades after being wrongfully convicted of rape.
Despite being punished for helping Nelson, Snyder told MSNBC's "All In With Chris Hayes" on Wednesday she would do it all over again.
"Oh yes, I would do it again," Snyder said in her first national television interview with Nelson. "I am so happy that he got exonerated on this charge, and felt that would happen or he wouldn't have filed that motion to start out with."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/shar...
When court officials are not impartial, the entire judicial process is biased.

Orlando, FL

#964579 Aug 15, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
EVERYONE should be responsible enough to carry health insurance. Unfortunately too citizens are of the carefree, devil-may-care mentality which requires intervention. By gambling on your good health, you put all of us at risk of covering your emergency care at at later date. IMO, charging you $1,050 a year for your stupidity is justified.
The "number" for those of us who are responsible adults is the cost we pay for our insurance and with it, our peace of mind. What I would really like to see is people like you denied access at the emergency room door.
Obamacare does nothing to lower health costs, the young and healthy will be burdened with the brunt of the cost and, according to CBO estimates, 30 million people will still remain uninsured.

This was NOT the solution we've been waiting for - some of us have been waiting for decades!!
mathecare. es int3
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#964580 Aug 15, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL! You're the only one who jumped on this nonsense.
She, like Fox News, is always trolling looking to make another non story about the president into a real story.

Orlando, FL

#964581 Aug 15, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
EVERYONE should be responsible enough to carry health insurance. Unfortunately too citizens are of the carefree, devil-may-care mentality which requires intervention. By gambling on your good health, you put all of us at risk of covering your emergency care at at later date. IMO, charging you $1,050 a year for your stupidity is justified.
The "number" for those of us who are responsible adults is the cost we pay for our insurance and with it, our peace of mind. What I would really like to see is people like you denied access at the emergency room door.
Did you know there are 30,000 pages of regulations to implement Obamacare?

Are you frikkin' kidding me?? This is what you think will solve the health care crisis in this country??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 60,205
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 217,148
Who's this Fauxcahontas? 2 hr ABigWigWamWelcome 34
Paul Weston from 12Tribe Films. 2 hr STARfukinGOODSTUFF 9
True BRILLIANCE and so correct. 2 hr STARfukinWigWam 9
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 6 hr Crack is wack 2
last post wins! (Dec '10) 7 hr Retired SOF 2,162
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr CrunchyBacon 102,571

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages