Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1263957 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

PDUPONT

Easthampton, MA

#962428 Aug 11, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Obama couldn't resist falling on his face acting "un-presidential" again yesterday as is his usual pattern.
"Now, I think the really interesting question is why it is that my friends in the other party have made the idea of preventing these people from getting health care their holy grail. Their number-one priority. The one unifying principle in the Republican Party at the moment is making sure that 30 million people don't have health care; and presumably, repealing all those benefits I just mentioned..."
Really? Mr. Divider-in-Chief?
That's the "one unifying principle" of the other party? To make sure 30 million people don't have health care?
It wouldn't be that 70% of Americans and a significant number of Democrats in your own party know it's a disaster just waiting to happen, would it?
And that the estimates are 30 million people are going to remain uninsured under Obamacare with fewer physicians practicing medicine, more people paying higher premiums, younger people bearing the brunt of the costs and part-time employment rising to unprecedented numbers?
You wouldn't be misleading us again now would you, Mr. Narcissist It's-All-About-Me Obama?
Well Carol the GOP controlled House has voted 40 times to repeal Obamacare without any proposals to replace it with something else. None of these votes had a prayer of going anyplace and each time they did it cost$1.5 million for a total of 60 million wasted taxpayer dollars. That's a lot more than your shrimp on a treadmill which at least came up with useful data on how an important source of income to the Gulf coast states responds to changing environment.
Let's say that the ACA went away tomorrow. What happens then?
Cancer patients dependent on long term chemotherapy will again be able to have their coverage cut off because of some arbitrary lifetime cap. They will then be faced with the choice of financial ruin paying to continue the treatments, simply die or quite possibly both.
Those with a pre existing condition including someone born with a birth defect, childhood cancer survivors and someone who contracted juvenile diabetes would be unable to get health insurance as adults.
Preventative care visits without a co pay would go away meaning that people would see the doctor only when they were really sick and their illness harder and more expensive to treat.
Families with young people who turn 21 and are still in school would have to pay for another policy instead of being able to continue their coverage on their policy. That one saved my family $4000 this year.
Insurance companies would no longer be accountable on how they spend the money they get from premiums.
Seniors in the Medicare part D donut hole would no longer get a rebate to help with prescription costs.
Employers who try to weasel out of providing workers with decent insurance by cutting hours are going to pay for it in the long run with higher turnover and increased absenteeism poor work performance and in the case of restaurants service.
Waxman

Dallas, TX

#962429 Aug 11, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep defending those that post slurs.
Say what????? That's me. I'm the one posting slurs, it's always me just using different names to do it! Of course I will defend them!

Baaaaaaawhaaaaaa!!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962431 Aug 11, 2013
Are Seniors Souring on the Republican Party?

The GOP has lost more support among voters over 65 than any other demographic group in recent months, according to a new poll.

The economy is the biggest underlying factor in the shift, Seifert said. In November 2010, 49 percent of seniors said Republicans were the better party on the economy; just 34 percent said Democrats were. In the July 2013 poll, the parties were essentially tied on this metric, with 43 percent saying Democrats and 42 percent saying Republicans.

Seniors' approval of the GOP-led House has dropped from 45 percent in early 2011 to 22 percent today. They have gone from identifying more as Republicans than Democrats by a 10-point margin to identifying more as Democrats than Republicans by a 6-point margin. Fifty-five percent say the GOP is too extreme, and 52 percent say it is "out of touch" and "dividing the country."

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/are-s...
WHY SO MANY BLACK RACIST

Winterville, NC

#962432 Aug 11, 2013
#at=638

http://www.atlah.org The Manning Report

“ATLAH: THAT’S WHAT GOD SAID.”
Anointed to establish families, churches and businesses, unlike any the world hath seen. Indeed the final product of the land, ATLAH, will boast of being the seat of the world’s banking, business, and education centers.

Love us or hate us?
Please Support Us
shrimp_on_treadm ills

Blanchard, OK

#962433 Aug 11, 2013
Ilkwas wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what Lush has taught you. Thanks for making my point.
What point is being made when two teenage negros strangle a white girl for her bike?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/24/new-jers...
WHY SO MANY BLACK RACIST

Winterville, NC

#962435 Aug 11, 2013
http://atlah.org/2013/08/07/thugs-and-klan-ho...

Thugs And Klan Hoodies At The Smithsonian Institute

Posted on 07 August 2013. Tags: Hoodies, thugs, Trayvon Martin

Introducing a new class of Humanity: Thugs and Hoodie wearers. Recorded 1 August 2013.

“ATLAH: THAT’S WHAT GOD SAID.”
Anointed to establish families, churches and businesses, unlike any the world hath seen. Indeed the final product of the land, ATLAH, will boast of being the seat of the world’s banking, business, and education centers.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#962437 Aug 11, 2013
shrimp_on_treadmills wrote:
<quoted text>
What point is being made when two teenage negros strangle a white girl for her bike?
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/24/new-jers...
That Obama's sons are running around like rabid baboons?
LCNlin

United States

#962438 Aug 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Are Seniors Souring on the Republican Party?
The GOP has lost more support among voters over 65 than any other demographic group in recent months, according to a new poll.
The economy is the biggest underlying factor in the shift, Seifert said. In November 2010, 49 percent of seniors said Republicans were the better party on the economy; just 34 percent said Democrats were. In the July 2013 poll, the parties were essentially tied on this metric, with 43 percent saying Democrats and 42 percent saying Republicans.
Seniors' approval of the GOP-led House has dropped from 45 percent in early 2011 to 22 percent today. They have gone from identifying more as Republicans than Democrats by a 10-point margin to identifying more as Democrats than Republicans by a 6-point margin. Fifty-five percent say the GOP is too extreme, and 52 percent say it is "out of touch" and "dividing the country."
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/are-s...
Sad to see the republicans is such sad shape, 2012 and now they are fighting like cats and dogs
WHY SO MANY BLACK RACIST

Winterville, NC

#962439 Aug 11, 2013
Al Sharpton May Be Anthony Weiner’s Daddy

Posted on 01 August 2013.
Al Sharpton May Be Anthony Weiner’s Daddy

Dr. James David Manning explains how Al Sharpton may be Anthony Weiner’s Daddy. Recorded 31 July 2013.

http://atlah.org/2013/08/01/al-sharpton-may-b...
low_I_Q_voter

Blanchard, OK

#962440 Aug 11, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Are Seniors Souring on the Republican Party?
The GOP has lost more support among voters over 65 than any other demographic group in recent months, according to a new poll.
The economy is the biggest underlying factor in the shift, Seifert said. In November 2010, 49 percent of seniors said Republicans were the better party on the economy; just 34 percent said Democrats were. In the July 2013 poll, the parties were essentially tied on this metric, with 43 percent saying Democrats and 42 percent saying Republicans.
Seniors' approval of the GOP-led House has dropped from 45 percent in early 2011 to 22 percent ltoday. They have gone from identifying more as Republicans than Democrats by a 10-point margin to identifying more as Democrats than Republicans by a 6-point margin. Fifty-five percent say the GOP is too extreme, and 52 percent say it is "out of touch" and "dividing the country."
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/are-s...
I know! I know!
Pick pick me!

Republicans want to kill grandma1
LCNlin

United States

#962441 Aug 11, 2013
President Obama is holding his first news conference since April today, a day before his week-long vacation in Martha’s Vineyard. He is likely to take questions on National Security Agency surveillance, his decision to cancel a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, unrest in Egypt and Syria, and the terrorism threat that caused the administration to close dozens of embassies and order Americans to leave Yemen. Check here for live updates during the news conference.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#962442 Aug 11, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Yep! And the answer is you have no perspective other than your own!
Hi Yeah. We are travelling so I have little time to check in. I can't believe this poster had the nerve to claim "conservatives view things from a fact based perspective." I'm shaking my head at his/her stupidity.
LCNlin

United States

#962443 Aug 11, 2013
President George W. Bush cautioned against criticizing gay couples, saying in an interview on “This Week” that you shouldn’t criticize others “until you’ve examined your own heart.”
Bush had waded into the revitalized same-sex marriage debate last week - if only barely - in a comment to a reporter in Zambia, who asked whether gay marriage conflicts with Christian values.
“I shouldn’t be taking a speck out of someone else’s eye when I have a log in my own,” Bush said last week.
In an interview in Tanzania with ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, the former president explained his comment further.
“I meant it’s very important for people not to be overly critical of someone else until you’ve examined your own heart,” Bush told Karl.
As president, Bush opposed gay marriage, and Republicans pushed ballot measures to ban it at the state level. The topic has seen rejuvenated discussion after the Supreme Court overturned the federal ban on same-sex marriage, the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
On another hot political topic – immigration – Bush said he thinks a major reform bill “has a chance to pass.” In 2007, Bush sought to pass an immigration bill similar to what’s been proposed in Congress this year, seeking to provide citizenship opportunity for undocumented immigrants already living in the U.S.
” I think it’s very important to fix a broken system, to treat people with respect. And have confidence in our capacity to assimilate people,” Bush said on “This Week.“It’s a very difficult bill to pass because there’s a lot of moving parts… But it looks like they’re making some progress.”
Bush said immigration is important to pass “to fix a system that’s broken,” not to improve the Republican Party’s political standing among Latino voters.
“Good policy yields good politics, as far as I’m concerned,” Bush said.
LCNlin

United States

#962444 Aug 11, 2013
President Bush supporting President Obama

NSA leaker Edward Snowden damaged the “security of the country,” former President George W. Bush said in an interview.

Bush did not directly say whether he thinks Snowden can be labeled a “traitor” but said he knows the country has been hurt as a result of the leaks.“I think he damaged the security of the country,” Bush said on CNN while visiting Africa, adding that President Barack Obama will deal with the situation.

Bush also defended the surveillance program, which began during his administration after Sept. 11, saying the programs guarantee civil liberties are protected.“I put the program in place to protect the country and one of the certainties is civil liberties were guaranteed,” Bush said. He went on to say there needs to be a balance between security and privacy when protecting the country.“I think there needs to be a balance, and I think as the president explained there’s a proper balance,” he said.
LCNlin

United States

#962445 Aug 11, 2013
A commitment to volunteerism is bringing together presidents past and present.
Former President George H.W. Bush is coming to the White House on Monday for a ceremony President Barack Obama is holding to recognize the 5,000th Daily Point of Light Award. Created by Bush more than two decades ago to honor volunteer service, the award's name comes from the description in his 1989 inaugural address of Americans serving each other as "a thousand points of light."
Bush's wife, Barbara, the former first lady; their son Neil, and other relatives are expected to attend; son and former President George W. Bush is not. Also scheduled to attend is Michelle Nunn, CEO of the Points of Light organization and a possible Democratic Senate candidate from Georgia. She's the daughter of former Sen. Sam Nunn, D-Ga.
Obama and first lady Michelle Obama and the Bushes will have lunch in the Red Room before the ceremony.
During the event, Obama will announce creation of a federal task force to come up with new ways for the public and private sectors to collaborate to support national service as a means of tackling national priorities, the White House said.

Bush, now 89, established the Daily Point of Light Award in 1990 while in office. More than 1,000 of the awards were distributed between 1989 and 1993, Bush's single term as the nation's 41st president. Through its offices around the country and relationships with nonprofit groups and corporations, the Points of Light organization encourages millions of people to volunteer and recognizes those it says are making a difference.
The White House said the recipients of the 5,000th Point of Light Award are Floyd Hammer and Kathy Hamilton, a retired couple and farm owners from Union, Iowa, who created Outreach, a nonprofit that delivers free meals to children suffering from hunger in more than 15 countries, including the United States.
They launched the program after a trip to Tanzania, where they visited a volunteer mission to help renovate an HIV/AIDS clinic at a village hospital and saw children dying from malnutrition. The couple's program has relied on thousands of volunteers to help assemble and distribute more than 232 million free meals to children worldwide, the White House said.
Both presidents will present Hammer and Hamilton with the Point of Light Award. Obama visited Tanzania this month.
Obama also has made volunteerism a theme of his presidency. In 2009, he signed legislation to more than triple the size of the AmeriCorps program from 75,000 volunteers to 250,000 by 2017. And several times a year, including on the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday and before Thanksgiving, Obama and his family help out at area food kitchens and community service projects.
Michelle Obama and Vice President Joe Biden's wife, Jill, also lead a national drive to encourage the public to devote time to helping military families.
The first president Bush has made several visits to the Obama White House. He stopped in twice last year, in January when he and son Jeb, the former Florida governor, were in town for the annual Alfalfa Club dinner, and in May for the unveiling of George W. Bush's official portrait. During a White House ceremony in 2011, Obama recognized Bush's lifetime of public service with a Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.
The two last saw each other in April at the dedication of George W. Bush's presidential library in Dallas.
White House press secretary Jay Carney said Obama holds the Bush family in "very high regard" and is looking forward to the ceremony.
Another reason to look forward to the event? To see Bush's socks.
The 41st president has become known for brightening his otherwise staid attire by wearing colorful socks. He pulled on a pair of Superman socks to celebrate his 89th birthday last month. At the dedication of his son's presidential library, Bush set off his gray suit with pink socks.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/...
shrimp_on_a_trea dmill

Blanchard, OK

#962446 Aug 11, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
But it doesn't keep Hilary out of the White House then does it?
What type of woman would stick with Bill after he totally humiliated her?

Democrats don't have anyone with better skills than Hilary? Just her victim status is enough huh?
shrimp_on_a_trea dmill

Blanchard, OK

#962447 Aug 11, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Yeah. We are travelling so I have little time to check in. I can't believe this poster had the nerve to claim "conservatives view things from a fact based perspective." I'm shaking my head at his/her stupidity.
Let me guess, you are:
A) going to a ham and cheese sandwich shoppee!
B) staking you a spot at the foodstamp office.
C) going to watch the shrimp on treadmill races.
D) hurrying off to clean dirty african ball sacks!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962448 Aug 11, 2013
Why White Voters Will Flee a White-Only Party

Polls show centrist whites, particularly millennials, don’t want to align themselves with a party that can’t attract anybody else.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/why-w...

note to the right wing media....giving Uncle Tom a platform to repeat right wing lies about minorities, lucrative as it may be for Tom, is not going to attract black folks to the GOP.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#962449 Aug 11, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>Well Carol the GOP controlled House has voted 40 times to repeal Obamacare without any proposals to replace it with something else. None of these votes had a prayer of going anyplace and each time they did it cost$1.5 million for a total of 60 million wasted taxpayer dollars. That's a lot more than your shrimp on a treadmill which at least came up with useful data on how an important source of income to the Gulf coast states responds to changing environment.
Let's say that the ACA went away tomorrow. What happens then?
Cancer patients dependent on long term chemotherapy will again be able to have their coverage cut off because of some arbitrary lifetime cap. They will then be faced with the choice of financial ruin paying to continue the treatments, simply die or quite possibly both.
Those with a pre existing condition including someone born with a birth defect, childhood cancer survivors and someone who contracted juvenile diabetes would be unable to get health insurance as adults.
Preventative care visits without a co pay would go away meaning that people would see the doctor only when they were really sick and their illness harder and more expensive to treat.
Families with young people who turn 21 and are still in school would have to pay for another policy instead of being able to continue their coverage on their policy. That one saved my family $4000 this year.
Insurance companies would no longer be accountable on how they spend the money they get from premiums.
Seniors in the Medicare part D donut hole would no longer get a rebate to help with prescription costs.
Employers who try to weasel out of providing workers with decent insurance by cutting hours are going to pay for it in the long run with higher turnover and increased absenteeism poor work performance and in the case of restaurants service.
Very nicely stated.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962450 Aug 11, 2013
shrimp_on_a_treadmill wrote:
<quoted text>
What type of woman would stick with Bill after he totally humiliated her?
Democrats don't have anyone with better skills than Hilary? Just her victim status is enough huh?
like GOP candidates don't think they're victims?

we can start with them whining about the Media not using the FOX model of journalism. oh, except for the Hillary NBC thing. seems that active support of a candidate is only allowed on FOX.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 55 min No8isClassic 8
Can't these people do better? 1 hr Magonigol 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Enter 194,636
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IBdaMann 54,333
The Messenger 2 hr DKTM 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr PEllen 100,286
amy august 2 3 hr PEllen 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages