Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1264193 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#962183 Aug 10, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
who's brainwashed?
You are.

Tell me one thing the liberal media reported to keep you informed that even suggests any wrongdoing on the part of this administration.

Don't forget that Obama, himself, said the IRS targeting was "outrageous" and he would "get to the bottom" of the 9/11 attack and bring those responsible to justice.

Let's start there. Post any article by the liberal media since October or November of last year that even addresses just these two issues.

Then we'll move on to the abuses of power by the Department of Justice. Yes, they were pissed off for a day or two. But when was the last time you read or heard anything about this?

Go.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#962184 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Faberlous fall." I like it.
:-)

Your sanity in discerning literacy is appreciated :-).

The plague like numbers of twisted and distorted herd packs these days, is so widespread, it is just hard to fathom, that we as a nation, have dropped in civility, to such low levels!

(Check out some of these comments on the article below--you really will find yourself just HOPING-they really can NOT really for real, as just the obvious ignorance level of some of them posting them is bad enough!)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/09/19...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962185 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Congress scores a new exemption from the healthcare law. And guess who's paying for their Cadillac health care while we have to drive the lemon?
As Steve Forbes said, "If the cookie tastes so great, why don't they eat it?"
PDupont, LCN, sonic...that's an excellent question for each of you to answer.
Congress Exempts Itself From Obamacare! Or Something!

The latest dastardly turn in President Obama’s lawless implementation of his doomed health-care law is that he has — get this — exempted Congress. If you are following conservative news sources, you are privy to this latest outrage, which is only the latest evidence that Obama knows the law will fail and is protecting his cronies from the damage. Indignant conservatives' reactions are everywhere, including The Wall Street Journal editorial page and Byron York.

The episode described here really is a useful synecdoche for Obamacare. What it represents, though, is the toxic combination of ignorance and bad faith that has characterized the right’s approach to Obamacare.

Ezra Klein explained the reality behind this myth when it first surfaced a few months ago. Republican senator Charles Grassley introduced an amendment into the debate over the law requiring Congress and its staff to get its own insurance under Obamacare. It was a message amendment — that is, an amendment designed not to actually change the law in a way Grassley wanted but to provide the grist for a talking point for opponents of the law. The talking point would be that those fat cats in Washington are forcing their laws down yer throat but won’t live by the same laws. Democrats surprised Grassley by accepting the amendment. That’s where the trouble began.

The inherent problem is that the entire premise of the amendment is false. The premise was that Obamacare is going to wreck the whole health-care system, forcing decent Americans to lose their hard-earned employer health insurance and be herded on to grim, socialistic health-care exchanges. That is false: The law was designed to leave virtually the entire employer-sponsored health-insurance system alone and create subsidized coverage for the people who don’t get insurance through their job (or through Medicare or some other government plan) already.

So Grassley’s amendment created a situation for government workers that Republicans claimed, falsely, the law would create for everybody else: forcing them off their employer insurance and on to the exchanges. Grassley’s amendment didn’t even attempt to design a coherent way of changing health-care worker benefits, because, again, it wasn’t an attempt to reform health care for Congress and its staff — it was an attempt to furnish a talking point for Rush Limbaugh and Fox News. It yanked away the subsidized health insurance Congress and its staff get, essentially imposing a massive pay cut on those workers.

....The way conservatives are telling the story, though, is close to the opposite of this reality.

....This is, at best, a badly garbled version of reality, and at worst a completely inverted one. Why would members of Congress and their staff get “the same treatment” as Americans seeking coverage on the exchanges? The exchanges are designed for people who don’t have insurance. The notion that Obama “exempted”“Democrats” from Obamacare is just bizarre, since Congress and its staff — both parties, not Democrats — will be on the exchanges. They’re just not getting a big pay cut along with it.

What conservatives think (or say) this episode represents — Democrats in Congress refusing to accept conditions they are forcing upon regular Americans — is false. The episode is actually symptomatic of the degree to which conservative fantasies about Obamacare can actually create their own, alternate reality.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962186 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are.
Tell me one thing the liberal media reported to keep you informed that even suggests any wrongdoing on the part of this administration.
Don't forget that Obama, himself, said the IRS targeting was "outrageous" and he would "get to the bottom" of the 9/11 attack and bring those responsible to justice.
Let's start there. Post any article by the liberal media since October or November of last year that even addresses just these two issues.
Then we'll move on to the abuses of power by the Department of Justice. Yes, they were pissed off for a day or two. But when was the last time you read or heard anything about this?
Go.
you're going to have to find a real scandal.

find me one 'scandal' that you're trying to lay on Obama that I can't lay back on Bush. gun running, embassy personnel being killed, targeting political opponents with the IRS, eavesdropping of Americans. it all happened. it's documented. it's not going to go away just because the right wing media has a memory problem.

the MSM are not going to use the FOX journalistic model of a leap of logic here and a leap of logic there. that's not journalism. that's opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.....
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962187 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because of a biased mainstream media who does the bidding of those they campaign for and get elected that you ARE lost.
lol! Funny. When you conisder the likes of 'Aunt Betty' who claimed they go out of their way to avoid Fart news.

.... and now you switch positions!

Talk about playing both sides of the line... as usual!

I love con comedy. The laughs never stop!

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#962188 Aug 10, 2013
Galt, it's not that I don't appreciate your point of view.

But even if you aren't "religious" per se, you must know the vast majority of Americans still profess a belief in God - and not all of them are conservatives.

My only point is, when discussing the course of this nation and its survival, literally, it's impossible to ignore the ethical and/or moral decay - whichever word you choose - as a relevant part of the battle.

But it's just one part.

You and I absolutely agree that winning the battle is the prime objective. We just don't agree that parsing and labeling those on the same side is necessary.

Many Democrats are also concerned about the erosion of ethics and morals and are becoming more vocal.

Can we just agree to disagree and still hold arms in charging the real threat in the fight to preserve our capitalistic republic?

Sure hope so...'cause I really like you and reading your posts.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962189 Aug 10, 2013
Proposed 28th Amendment Would Make Congress Join Obamacare Exchanges

...On the Senate side, David Vitter (R-La.) highlighted an amendment he introduced to the Marketplace Fairness Act in April that would have reiterated that members and their staff must enroll into the Obamacare exchanges and killed a loophole exempting the president, vice president, political appointees and some congressional staff from being forced into the exchange.

“This is exactly why America rightly hates Washington. Obamacare’s a train wreck, even for Congress,” Vitter said today.“So it gets fixed… FOR CONGRESS ONLY. What the flip about fixing it for America?”

“And this behind-closed-doors deal, announced right after Congress is safely away from the crime scene on break, was fully supported by establishment Republicans. When it comes to protecting their own, they find a way to work just beautifully with the Democrats,” he added.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/proposed-28th-amendme...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#962190 Aug 10, 2013
“And this behind-closed-doors deal, announced right after Congress is safely away from the crime scene on break, was fully supported by establishment Republicans. When it comes to protecting their own, they find a way to work just beautifully with the Democrats,”
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962191 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Obama was up to his old divide and conquer tricks yesterday.
What kind of president would think - much less say out loud - that their opposing party's "holy grail" was to make sure 30 million people didn't have health care?
Does he not know 70% of Americans and a significant number in their own party also believe it's a disaster waiting to happen?
Does he not know the CBO estimated 30 million people are going to remain uninsured under Obamacare?
Does he not know there are going to be fewer physicians, more people paying higher premiums, younger people bearing the brunt of the costs and part-time employment rising to unprecedented numbers?
Who is this man? And how did he ever become a leader of anything - much less our country?
lol! We know that's what you believe son!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962192 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
They whined like crying little girls when the Bush NSA was only targeting suspicious overseas communications.
Now they're whining like crying little girls because half of us don't like being considered the enemy by THIS administration's NSA...or THIS administration's IRS...or THIS administration's Homeland Security.
lol! Let's hear the cons thank bushie boy for this benefit!!!!!

Hello?

Hello?

Is anyone out there?

Hello? Cons?

Hello?
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962193 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are.
Tell me one thing the liberal media reported to keep you informed that even suggests any wrongdoing on the part of this administration.
Don't forget that Obama, himself, said the IRS targeting was "outrageous" and he would "get to the bottom" of the 9/11 attack and bring those responsible to justice.
Let's start there. Post any article by the liberal media since October or November of last year that even addresses just these two issues.
Then we'll move on to the abuses of power by the Department of Justice. Yes, they were pissed off for a day or two. But when was the last time you read or heard anything about this?
Go.
lol! Because there's nothing there.

However, I will grant you they didn't report this while cons remained extremely quiet!!!!! And this is a FACT as opposed to your OPINIONS son!

I love con comedy! The stupidity never stops.....

"IRS targeted NAACP in 2004

Short URL
URL
Email
Print

The NAACP logo is pictured.| Reuters

The IRS said the audit was triggered by staffers in a satellite office.| Reuters
By KELSEY SNELL | 5/13/13 4:51 PM EDT

This isn't the first time the IRS has been in hot water for meddling in the politics of nonprofits. And if past is prelude, the Obama administration may have a years-long scandal on its hands.

In 2004, the NAACP was hit with an audit over accusations of improper political activity for criticizing the Bush administration.
Continue Reading
Text Size

"We have received information that during your 2004 convention in Philadelphia, your organization distributed statements in opposition of George W. Bush for the office of presidency," the IRS wrote in an audit notice that the group released to the media at the time.

Auditors also notified the group that it could be subject to a 10 percent tax for political expenditures as well as a 2.5 percent tax on any manager that signed off on the political activity.

The NAACP went public and sparked a now-familiar firestorm. Democrats in Congress were up in arms and called for answers about what constitutes political activity and questioning the political motivations of the agency.

Rep. Charles Rangel, the top Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee at the time, called the audit a police state tactic. Max Baucus, then the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, sent a letter to then-IRS Commissioner Mark Everson demanding answers to a list of questions about other similar audits.

“The integrity of our tax enforcement system is a critical matter,” Baucus wrote at the time.“The American public expects a high degree of non-partisanship and professionalism from the IRS."

The agency denied a culture of bias. They said the audit was triggered by staffers in a satellite office, this time in Kentucky.

It took more than two years and a lengthy legal battle for the IRS to drop its case against the NAACP. That was all well before the Supreme Court unleashed a flood of political groups into the IRS pool with its Citizens United decision...."

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#962195 Aug 10, 2013
Just learned something interesting. Obama is making a speech at one of the hotels in Orlando for Disabled Veterans where my daughter just happens to work.

I told her to open the door and yell, "My mama doesn't like you!" and then get escorted away.

She's pretty impressed by the veterans though. Reminded her they're the best of the best among us.

But she already knew that and can say "corps" correctly too.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962196 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Galt, it's not that I don't appreciate your point of view.
But even if you aren't "religious" per se, you must know the vast majority of Americans still profess a belief in God - and not all of them are conservatives.
My only point is, when discussing the course of this nation and its survival, literally, it's impossible to ignore the ethical and/or moral decay - whichever word you choose - as a relevant part of the battle.
But it's just one part.
You and I absolutely agree that winning the battle is the prime objective. We just don't agree that parsing and labeling those on the same side is necessary.
Many Democrats are also concerned about the erosion of ethics and morals and are becoming more vocal.
Can we just agree to disagree and still hold arms in charging the real threat in the fight to preserve our capitalistic republic?
Sure hope so...'cause I really like you and reading your posts.
lol! Well....
I'll...

Be...

Damned!!!!

A con who realizes God doesn't recognize political lines!

A rare breed indeed!!!!

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#962197 Aug 10, 2013
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>She'll keep putting it out there. She wants to be President, it's her destiny.... just ax her? She had to grab Billy Boie, because she couldn't do it herself. We wonder whether it will bring back to life all the misdeeds, Vince Foster, Monica Lewinski, et al? Also what ever new daliances are published. It could get very interesting?
Like I said, where's Billy Crystal when we need him?

Hillary is the next liberal media "star" even though they dumped her like an old mattress in 2008.

And Obama's lies and smear campaigns weren't lost on her either. "Shame on you, Barack Obama! Shame on you!"

Remember?

If she does run in 2016, hope Republicans remind the public of those lies and smear campaigns that were put out there by the lying liberal machine in 2008 because some of us desperately need to be reminded that the hypocrisy on the left is nauseatingly overwhelming.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#962198 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But overeating fast food is the problem for far too many.
"carol"
Fast food is just an excuse. Overheating any food is the problem.
Peace

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#962199 Aug 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Because there's nothing there.
However, I will grant you they didn't report this while cons remained extremely quiet!!!!! And this is a FACT as opposed to your OPINIONS son!
I love con comedy! The stupidity never stops.....
"IRS targeted NAACP in 2004
Short URL
URL
Email
Print
The NAACP logo is pictured.| Reuters
The IRS said the audit was triggered by staffers in a satellite office.| Reuters
By KELSEY SNELL | 5/13/13 4:51 PM EDT
This isn't the first time the IRS has been in hot water for meddling in the politics of nonprofits. And if past is prelude, the Obama administration may have a years-long scandal on its hands.
In 2004, the NAACP was hit with an audit over accusations of improper political activity for criticizing the Bush administration.
Continue Reading
Text Size
"We have received information that during your 2004 convention in Philadelphia, your organization distributed statements in opposition of George W. Bush for the office of presidency," the IRS wrote in an audit notice that the group released to the media at the time.
Auditors also notified the group that it could be subject to a 10 percent tax for political expenditures as well as a 2.5 percent tax on any manager that signed off on the political activity.
The NAACP went public and sparked a now-familiar firestorm. Democrats in Congress were up in arms and called for answers about what constitutes political activity and questioning the political motivations of the agency.
Rep. Charles Rangel, the top Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee at the time, called the audit a police state tactic. Max Baucus, then the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, sent a letter to then-IRS Commissioner Mark Everson demanding answers to a list of questions about other similar audits.
“The integrity of our tax enforcement system is a critical matter,” Baucus wrote at the time.“The American public expects a high degree of non-partisanship and professionalism from the IRS."
The agency denied a culture of bias. They said the audit was triggered by staffers in a satellite office, this time in Kentucky.
It took more than two years and a lengthy legal battle for the IRS to drop its case against the NAACP. That was all well before the Supreme Court unleashed a flood of political groups into the IRS pool with its Citizens United decision...."
Give it up. Auditing large groups and organizations under any administration isn't a big deal. O'Reilly alone was audited 3 times under the Clinton administration.

When individuals, small groups and donors on the left get interrogated about their reading material, what they say in their prayers and asked for names and addresses of their membership which are given to a conservative website to publish - which did happen in one case - then you can yap your gums about what it means to really be targeted.
shrimp_on_treadm ills

United States

#962200 Aug 10, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Funny. When you conisder the likes of 'Aunt Betty' who claimed they go out of their way to avoid Fart news
.... and now you switch positions!
Talk about playing both sides of the line... as usual!
I love con comedy. The laughs never stop!
do you laugh alot while you scrub dirty african ball sacks?
TSM

El Paso, TX

#962201 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Just learned something interesting. Obama is making a speech at one of the hotels in Orlando for Disabled Veterans where my daughter just happens to work.
I told her to open the door and yell, "My mama doesn't like you!" and then get escorted away.
She's pretty impressed by the veterans though. Reminded her they're the best of the best among us.
But she already knew that and can say "corps" correctly too.
Lois… Or not knowing the difference between Veteran Day and Memorial Day!!
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#962202 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it up. Auditing large groups and organizations under any administration isn't a big deal. O'Reilly alone was audited 3 times under the Clinton administration.
When individuals, small groups and donors on the left get interrogated about their reading material, what they say in their prayers and asked for names and addresses of their membership which are given to a conservative website to publish - which did happen in one case - then you can yap your gums about what it means to really be targeted.
lol! Ah! I see! In your eyes, such activity can be legal OR illegal depending on YOUR definition of what's acceptable!!!

You obviously didn't read the posting since it wasn't about size, but politics. And it was certainly WAY past where things are today with the IRS.

Too bad you can't see that. But politics clearly clouds your vision!

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#962203 Aug 10, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Just learned something interesting. Obama is making a speech at one of the hotels in Orlando for Disabled Veterans where my daughter just happens to work.
I told her to open the door and yell, "My mama doesn't like you!" and then get escorted away.
She's pretty impressed by the veterans though. Reminded her they're the best of the best among us.
But she already knew that and can say "corps" correctly too.
She should take donations for her bail.. In fact I'd pay to see it happen. We all are impressed by the Veterans, I've said it before, I have lunch with my 93 yr. old Father-in-Law every week, he's a WWII vet, and now is slowing down a bit. But,,, He voted for Barack Hussein Obama, he's a Democrat....Guess you can't change the stripes.....
As far as Corps is concerned, We've had one running the country for 5+ years, he just has to learn how to pronounce and spell it, Corpse..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 194,661
News Lollapalooza day two marked by angst, apathy-an... 1 hr RappersRTHUGS 3
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr budd 54,342
Please SUBSCRIBE to my YOUTUBE channel for awes... 10 hr The Cloud 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr CrunchyBacon 100,287
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 14 hr No8isClassic 8
Can't these people do better? 14 hr Magonigol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages