Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 44,154)

Showing posts 883,061 - 883,080 of1,071,347
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't noticed any of the "right wing crazies" forwarding this argument so if you're talking about me you couldn't be further off base.
That would be the likes of fetch almighty....

.... and a few others.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

HEy BERNIE No one can seriously doubt that the huge amounts of borrowed federal dollars poured into the economy since Barack Obama became president has prevented even more jobs from being lost than might otherwise have been the case in the current devastating recession. It’s impossible, however, to come up with a “real” number, because no economist has a good enough handle on matters to sort out all the variables at play, including readjustments due to the fall of housing prices, low interest rates, a slightly improved export environment, rebounding of depleted inventories, new highway construction resulting from stimulus spending, etc. Still, let’s look at some facts about the current so-called “recovery”:

Un- and under-employment remains high–officially over 17 percent, not including people who have given up looking for work.

The cost to create (or save) jobs has been ludicrously high. Estimates of what it has cost the federal government–meaning the taxpayer–to create a single job range from $70,000 to $500,000, depending on whether bailouts lavished on the failed banking system are included.

While Wall Street rakes in record profits and the stock market creeps back with the DJIA now approaching 11,000, the rest of the economy is sputtering. Public service jobs at the state and local level, including teacher positions, are disappearing like shredded newspaper in a blast furnace. The best the Obama administration can come up with for the next phase is some extremely convoluted encouragement for more bank lending to small businesses, even though these businesses are operating in an environment of crippled consumer demand that may last for years to come.

The two economic sectors that are reasonably “strong”–the military and health care–are essentially non-productive. The military uses Keynesian deficit-spending to support its gargantuan job base, while the health care industry feasts at the public trough through the ever-increasing cost of Medicare and other spending programs. But like the bailouts and stimulus, it’s being done by both sectors with borrowed or printed money through marketing of Treasury bonds whose value becomes more precarious by the day.

What stimulus there is has been is coming to an end as the Federal Reserve reduces “quantitative easing” and the Obama administration launches its bipartisan deficit reduction commission.
Many commentators have said, as a joke, that it would have been cheaper if the government had just printed the money and given it away. But such an approach would not be a joke at all. It would be enlightened public policy.

The real joke is that in a technological age job-creation is a completely wrong approach to distributing consumer purchasing power, because the world does not need everyone to have a job in order to produce what is needed for the population to live a decent, comfortable life. This is the great fallacy of Keynesian economics, which aims at full employment and endless economic growth.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

HEY BERNIE Job Creation”–Stupid Is as Stupid Does
Not only does the fruitless quest for a full-employment economy put the entire population under the most brutal forms of financial and psychological stress, it also erodes the value of a constantly inflating currency and puts entirely too much money in the hands of the big banking and government institutions which spend it for their own aggrandizement on financial bubbles and wars.

America is the most wasteful, bloated, materialistic, and violent culture on the planet precisely because the economic treadmill we are racing along moves constantly faster all the time. This treadmill has been created on purpose by the only people who benefit from it–the ones at the very top of the heap.

The solution is simple though paradoxical: sufficient numbers of adult persons should be given enough money to purchase the necessities of life without having to work at all.

This is so because the benefits of technology have brought us to the point where distribution of purchasing power without reference to labor is the most efficient and least wasteful economic model available. The borrowed or printed federal dollars currently lavished on the banks, the armed forces, and the government bureaucracies that implement stimulus programs would be much more efficiently spent if simply given away.

Call it a basic income guarantee or a national dividend or whatever you like and pay for however much of it you want to through fair taxation of the obscenely wealthy–it really doesn’t matter. You could even establish an optional retirement age of 40 or 45. The important thing is that such a program would recognize that with productivity as high as it is today, too many workers get in each other’s way. Those who don’t have to work shouldn’t be required to do so. Instead, they can create, do volunteer service, or work at low-paying jobs that are still socially desirable such as teaching or the arts.

An adjunct to such a program would be to provide local producers’ cooperatives the legal authority to create credit on their own either by utilizing the national currency or by use of trading credits that not only would circulate locally but could also be used to pay taxes. Such legislation at the national level would free small business from bank usury much more effectively than current government proposals and create more jobs.

Today’s economic crisis is actually the mismanagement of nature’s bounty in an age where technology has solved the problem of scarcity if it is properly viewed as the heritage of all mankind, not the cartel of financiers, corporate oligarchs, military strongmen, and politicians who have the world at the throat in order to safeguard their own wealth and power. Instead they should relax their grip and realize that they too would benefit from a world where all could breathe freely in an economic environment of peace, dignity, and sharing.

Believe me, it could happen and someday probably will.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>the reason for repeating my self is because it is the turth beside do you know what a GSE is and it sure isn't private.
And yet, what I've posted and supported has been factual.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Following the release of a phone recording in which Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-KY) campaign manager sounded unethused to be working in his current position, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) said Thursday it's further proof of the incumbent's dismal standing.
“Mitch McConnell is so unpopular in Kentucky that even his own campaign manager can’t stand him," DSCC spokesman Justin Barasky told TPM over the phone. "Unfortuantely for McConnell, polls show that people of Kentucky won’t be holding their noses in 2014.”
Barasky was referring to comments made by McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton, who told a conservative activist in January that he took the job on the GOP leader's re-election campaign to help the presidential prospects of his old boss, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY).
"Between you an me, I'm sorta holding my nose for two years," Benton said in the recording, "'cause what we're doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in '16."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/d...
DUMB CITIZENS PROMOTE THE INFIGHTING IN THE US GOVERNMENT AFTER THE ELECTIONS ARE OVER and are cheerleaders for ineffective government policies ADVISE AND CONSENT WATCH THE MOVIE BOOKS ARE NOT FOR LIBERALS HOLLYWOOD IS BETTER wow
Realtime

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like used car dealer Realtime doesn't want people to voice their opinion about government.
Sounds like old cheap basturd carry his own bag to save a $ Nobama doesn't comprehend what he reads. Kinda like my tea party neighbor who's voice becomes louder and higher pitched with each word when he's talking about politics and religion.
WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
Following the release of a phone recording in which Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-KY) campaign manager sounded unethused to be working in his current position, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) said Thursday it's further proof of the incumbent's dismal standing.
“Mitch McConnell is so unpopular in Kentucky that even his own campaign manager can’t stand him," DSCC spokesman Justin Barasky told TPM over the phone. "Unfortuantely for McConnell, polls show that people of Kentucky won’t be holding their noses in 2014.”
Barasky was referring to comments made by McConnell campaign manager Jesse Benton, who told a conservative activist in January that he took the job on the GOP leader's re-election campaign to help the presidential prospects of his old boss, Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY).
"Between you an me, I'm sorta holding my nose for two years," Benton said in the recording, "'cause what we're doing here is gonna be a big benefit to Rand in '16."
It’s the Media, Stupid There is little disagreement on the indispensable role of the media in influencing political debate and narrative, thus shaping public discourse.

Among progressives, liberals and most political minorities in the United States and Europe, there is an equal consensus regarding the troubling alliance that is bringing warmongering politicians, ideologues, religious zealots and media moguls together. They alone possess the capabilities to sway the public in any way they wish, or so it seems; they stack a nation’s priorities in the way they find most fit; they concoct wars and justify them when they go awry. In short, they manipulate democracy by manipulating the public, using whatever means necessary: fear, misinformation and all the familiar rest.
OBAMAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLO LOLOLOLOL

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Its that word "interpret" that spoils it because you're interpretation is going to invariably be to the negative. That you even bother with something as petty and inconsequential as this says a lot about you.
If the Azzhole-In-Chief publicly states that he wants to improve the seaports along the Caribbean Coast and then mistakenly improves those along the Atlantic Coast, the good folks of New Orleans, Galveston, Gulfport, Mobile and Port St. Joe would be very pissed at the bumbling fool who also thinks America has 58 States or more.

The mention of this glaringly bald embarrassment of a jerk president is not at all "petty and inconsequential" but a necessary slap to wake people up to the mistake sitting in the Oval Orifice. The Boy Messiah has staff personnel tie his shoes each morning.

Dissing this shameful situation says a lot about you and your lack of sociopolitical awareness.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Bernard Forand wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not that we are to support collateral damage from wars. This has always been the price of war. Innocents pay the price of the martyred.
Universal solider responds to commands. They are from all ideologies and mythologies; At times, they are of the same ideologies and mythologies. Without them war would cease. War is never won. Survivors remain to gather up the destruction; Preparing for the next call for the Universal Solider.
If one was to truly not support the martyring of the innocent, then they would refuse the call to their universal soldiers’ duties. Which only a few do and they are condemn by their culture.
Maturity of the worlds population have constantly emphasized their lack of intelligent leadership to peace. Until that day the Universal Solider will stand at the ready and collateral damage will take its toll.
Do you write for Sesame St.?

Today's posting is brought to you by the letters "D" and "I".

"D" for Dumb

"I" for Incoherent.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
More illegal eavesdropping by the Obama/NSA Gestapo.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like old cheap basturd carry his own bag to save a $ Nobama doesn't comprehend what he reads. Kinda like my tea party neighbor who's voice becomes louder and higher pitched with each word when he's talking about politics and religion.
...and that is his right....

Since: May 11

Shippensburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
The same legal standard applies to foreign nationals too so their citizenship is, to an extent, irrelevant.
Ramzi Yousef, mastermind of the WTC bombing and Pakistani citizen is sitting in a Colorado Supermax prison for the rest of his life. He was captured in Pakistan. That was in '97, before the PATRIOT Act became a tool of Monarchical authority.
I only brought up citizen because of what you said about targeting US citizens.

Are you now saying we should not utilize drones to go after Al Qaeda?

If we know a terrorist is at a certain location what do you suggest?

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
get back to me when what BillO said last night isn't Topix wingnut front and center.
carol?
try to get her spiel into a civilized conversation for 10 seconds and see how that falls flat on it's face.
You make noise and so you can be located.

That's worth *something*, I suppose.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
sonic is having a racist orgasm, folks.

Let's hope he/she bursts a blood vessel:>
John Galt

Temecula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like old cheap basturd carry his own bag to save a $ Nobama doesn't comprehend what he reads. Kinda like my tea party neighbor who's voice becomes louder and higher pitched with each word when he's talking about politics and religion.
Many golfers carry their own bag because they want the exercise and the connection to the game. Other slobs like retired used car dealer Realtime drive around in their carts guzzling beer and talking on their cell phones.

Besides, frugality is a virtue.

Read "The Millionaire Next Door."

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not ya'll and I'm not defending the government-intel-military progression from the days of Kermit Roosevelt to the days of Billy Waugh to the current and less complicated days of CIA and military drones.
I'm not defending the likes of Allen Dulles, J. Edgar Hoover, or those spawned during that era of international lawlessness.
Whether you like it or not, the Obama administration has shifted the long running burden of the middle East back to middle Eastern nations. We're not going to war under the brown guy but are going to watch the middle East get on board for the future or die on the fkn vine as the Islamic world already has, several times.
The US military drones don't target children__lying is a way of life in the Islamic world.
So you dismiss it as "lying" and of course it couldn't be the US lying so it must be them Muslims 'cause that's what Muslims do?

Leaked Pakistani report confirms high civilian death toll in CIA drone strikes
July 22nd, 2013 | by Chris Woods

"Of 746 people listed as killed in the drone strikes outlined in the document, at least 147 of the dead are clearly stated to be civilian victims, 94 of those are said to be children."

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2013/07/...

Here's the internal document:

http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2013/07/...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The act was passed in an emotional time, but regardless of politics, few believed that it would be used against American citizens.
I never doubted that it would.
Buroc Millhouse Obama

Hartford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Azzhole-In-Chief publicly states that he wants to improve the seaports along the Caribbean Coast and then mistakenly improves those along the Atlantic Coast, the good folks of New Orleans, Galveston, Gulfport, Mobile and Port St. Joe would be very pissed at the bumbling fool who also thinks America has 58 States or more.
The mention of this glaringly bald embarrassment of a jerk president is not at all "petty and inconsequential" but a necessary slap to wake people up to the mistake sitting in the Oval Orifice. The Boy Messiah has staff personnel tie his shoes each morning.
Dissing this shameful situation says a lot about you and your lack of sociopolitical awareness.
Ditzing is just your type A bottom feeder Obama voter who cares more about where his next free stuff is coming from and watching the Price Is Right than anything that requires true thought.
Bernard Forand

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Like WOW your |#961363 comment comes close but wonders of into obscurity with myths.
Observe Like WOW ! HEY BERNARD Washington Thinks You Are Stupid There’s the old saying that if the government fears the people, there is liberty, but if the people fear the government there is tyranny. The criminals in Washington not only do not fear us, they do not respect us. Washington looks upon Americans as stupid sheeple
Bernie replies} Washington does not take me personally. Rendering your derogatory nonsense moot which leaves very little substance. Your “old saying” is just another false myth you embrace, as a fact which it is not. Observe history when the sovereignty becomes over burdensome they are destroyed. Inequality that have been increasing under right wing austerity policies is of concern and requires our serious attention. Its not yet at to the point where we must grab our muskets and do them in. That would be as inane solution that one could conceive of.
Liberal International Free Trade Markets have and are continuing to level the field between the haves and haves not. Orthodox communism could not compete with it and their walls came a tumbling down as will the poorly regulated capitalist nations.
This “its them against us” are but a paranoid delusion of yours, it does not serve you well. All of the world are in it together trying to bring about a sane rational democratic capitalist system. Liberal International Free Trade Markets demand it. War increasingly becomes too expensive. Distracting, which ever culture that chooses that course, to regress in their ability to compete on the Free Trade Markets. Their sovereignty’s demise would soon be their reward.
Consider “Beliefs are not facts” merely an observation that requires thought for research. Simple facts or complicated one’s, will soon support or dismiss all beliefs. False statements will come reminding us, all that is presented is not fact. Strict research is required by one and all. As data is compiled we can then ascertain where are we discovering from what source is being mostly correct and of another mostly deceitful.
Take note the lies you referred to came from republican ambitions to promote their “Military Industries” profits. One source of siphoning of the wealth from the bottom of the pyramid to the top. Another; How many times has the Fox been caught presenting false facts and or distorted as compared to N.Y. Times, CNN, BBC, CBS and etc., etc. This looks like a no brainier to figure out. Not that these networks have not fouled up, but how many times in ratio to various Fox networks. I want to remind you England has reinstated their sport of Fox hunting… Now observe who is deceitfully hacking the judge voting? All the more proof compiling onto what is already known of them. Won’t help them at the polls come 2014 and 2016. Those that fear the truth, will be forever in servitude to the ignorance it nurtures.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

WOW wrote:
<quoted text>It’s the Media, Stupid There is little disagreement on the indispensable role of the media in influencing political debate and narrative, thus shaping public discourse.
Among progressives, liberals and most political minorities in the United States and Europe, there is an equal consensus regarding the troubling alliance that is bringing warmongering politicians, ideologues, religious zealots and media moguls together. They alone possess the capabilities to sway the public in any way they wish, or so it seems; they stack a nation’s priorities in the way they find most fit; they concoct wars and justify them when they go awry. In short, they manipulate democracy by manipulating the public, using whatever means necessary: fear, misinformation and all the familiar rest.
OBAMAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLO LOLOLOLOL
You're describing the neocons who now obviously control both parties.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 883,061 - 883,080 of1,071,347
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Four Dead in Bridgeview Head-On Collision 5 min Bridgeview resident 67
Abby 7-10 6 min Cass 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 27 min Jacques from Ottawa 173,533
Show your indie spirit on Chicago's first Indep... 36 min reading is queer 1
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 46 min edogxxx 97,417
Amy 7-10 53 min Kuuipo 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr well 48,674
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••