Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
LCN Llin

United States

#960260 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your source had nothing to do with sharecropping or forty acres and a mule.
But this is the second or third time I've provided history websites to Tenzing - and now you - on the subject.
But here is yet another one.
"General William T. Sherman encouraged granting a number of freed men 40 acres each of the abandoned land left in the wake of his army. During Reconstruction, however, the conflict over labor resulted in the sharecropping system. As one of the first acts of Reconstruction, President Andrew Johnson ordered all land under federal control to be returned to its previous owners."
http://www.history.com/topics/sharecropping
The moral of the story: When you insist on being wrong about documented facts, you're probably wrong about a lot of things.
Spike Lee movie site.
Fail to understand reason for civil war posts ;-)
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960261 Aug 6, 2013
Ms. Pelosi has pontificated that Edward “did violate the law in terms of releasing those documents.” Ms. Bachmann has pronounced that,“This was not the act of a patriot; this was an act of a traitor.” And Ms. Feinstein has decreed that Edward was guilty of “treason,” which is defined in Article III of the Constitution as “levying war” against the United States,“or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.”

You have let those quadruple affronts to due process pass unrebuked, while you have disparaged Edward as a “hacker” to cast aspersion on his motivations and talents. Have you forgotten the Supreme Court’s gospel in Berger v. United States that the interests of the government “in a criminal prosecution is not that it shall win a case, but that justice shall be done?”

We also find reprehensible your administration’s Espionage Act prosecution of Edward for disclosures indistinguishable from those which routinely find their way into the public domain via your high level appointees for partisan political advantage. Classified details of your predator drone protocols, for instance, were shared with the New York Times with impunity to bolster your national security credentials. Justice Jackson observed in Railway Express Agency, Inc. v. New York:“The framers of the Constitution knew, and we should not forget today, that there is no more effective practical guaranty against arbitrary and unreasonable government than to require that the principles of law which officials would impose upon a minority must be imposed generally.”

In light of the circumstances amplified above, we urge you to order the Attorney General to move to dismiss the outstanding criminal complaint against Edward, and to support legislation to remedy the NSA surveillance abuses he revealed. Such presidential directives would mark your finest constitutional and moral hour.

Sincerely,

Bruce Fein

Counsel for Lon Snowden
LCN Llin

United States

#960262 Aug 6, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Lawrence O’Donnell destroys O’Reilly’s racist rants with actual science
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/06/lawrenc...
happens all the time.
Bill O funny.
US may need to speed withdrawal from Afghanistan and Islamic countries.
Not worth the bones of one US soldier.
trolls active today ;-)
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#960263 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your source had nothing to do with sharecropping or forty acres and a mule.
But this is the second or third time I've provided history websites to Tenzing - and now you - on the subject.
But here is yet another one.
"General William T. Sherman encouraged granting a number of freed men 40 acres each of the abandoned land left in the wake of his army. During Reconstruction, however, the conflict over labor resulted in the sharecropping system. As one of the first acts of Reconstruction, President Andrew Johnson ordered all land under federal control to be returned to its previous owners."
http://www.history.com/topics/sharecropping
The moral of the story: When you insist on being wrong about documented facts, you're probably wrong about a lot of things.
'When you insist on being wrong about documented facts, you're probably wrong about a lot of things.'

so how goes the Bush apology tour this morning? got any new undocumented 'facts' about how everything Bush screwed up was not his fault?

and i'm surprised that after all the free campaign ads FOX sponsors for GOP politicians that you're not throwing a fit about NBC doing the same. you FOXbots always get mad when NBC acts like FOX. so what's the deal?

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#960264 Aug 6, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans left the White House in January of 009 with the worst recession in 80 years, a Housing Collapse, a near financial meltdown, doubling the debt, two quagmire wars and the evil Democrats are killing our country.
You people are beyond pathetic.
Oh, did I mention the poverty level has increased, unemployment among minorities is in the two digits, job growth is moving like a snail and 90% of jobs added recently are part-time because of Obamacare?

Before the Democrats said everything was just fine with bad mortgage loans up until the very end, unemployment averaged in the 5% range during Bush's entire two terms.

Since: Aug 13

Kansas City, MO

#960265 Aug 6, 2013
Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama had a Democrat House & Senate his first two years, idiot.
Obama's fraud - his minions (based on his promise) said unemployment would not exceed 8%, try to keep up
Obamacare is a fraud, try to keep up - everyone but you admits it will cost much more than the fraud Obama said.
Al Qaeda leadership has NOT been decimated. When you get back to Earth, check the news about embassies being closed on an unprecedented scale. Try to keep up.
NSA is sharing information and exceeding the limits of what it should be doing. Ask the Associated Press & DEA. Try to keep up.
You are a liar and an idiot, 2008Bill.
You are wrong. President Obama did not have the senate. Al Franken was not seated until July of 2009 because his election results was challenged. Sen. Ted Kennedy died in August of 2009. These two events denied President Obama the filibuster proof majority.

The leadership of the original Al Qaeda group headed by Osama Bin Laden has been decimated. Al Qaeda has since branched off into several smaller groups.

How's that for keeping up.

Since: May 11

Hustontown, PA

#960266 Aug 6, 2013
Waxman wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama had a Democrat House & Senate his first two years, idiot.
Obama's fraud - his minions (based on his promise) said unemployment would not exceed 8%, try to keep up
Obamacare is a fraud, try to keep up - everyone but you admits it will cost much more than the fraud Obama said.
Al Qaeda leadership has NOT been decimated. When you get back to Earth, check the news about embassies being closed on an unprecedented scale. Try to keep up.
NSA is sharing information and exceeding the limits of what it should be doing. Ask the Associated Press & DEA. Try to keep up.
Congress refused to fund the closing ofGITMO. This is a fact.

The Dec of 2008 Romer Report ( the document you right whiners are evidently too GD stupid to comprehend) said that the stimulus would reduce the peak u employment by 1-2 percent. Some economists predicted a peak of 9% which would make the stimulus keep it under 8%. That report clearly stated that other estimates were out there.

The problem with you is that you are too GD stupid to understand the concepts in that report.

As for Al Qaeda leadership, one senior leadership left. 15 killed under Obama.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/opinion/bergen-...

Aren't you getting tired of me proving you wrong all the time???
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#960267 Aug 6, 2013
'Traitor' edit on Snowden's Wikipedia page linked to Senate IP address

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/tech...
Follow us:@thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
LCN Llin

United States

#960269 Aug 6, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
'When you insist on being wrong about documented facts, you're probably wrong about a lot of things.'
so how goes the Bush apology tour this morning? got any new undocumented 'facts' about how everything Bush screwed up was not his fault?
and i'm surprised that after all the free campaign ads FOX sponsors for GOP politicians that you're not throwing a fit about NBC doing the same. you FOXbots always get mad when NBC acts like FOX. so what's the deal?
As republicans divide and decline they become more shrill
WOW

Bronx, NY

#960270 Aug 6, 2013
The “New Economy” Is The No Jobs Economy
One of my most popular columns was about escaping from the Matrix existence in which Americans live. It is a world of disinformation and misinformation in which facts are fiction, and abstract theories are substituted for empirical reality.

Official government statistics are make-believe. The government makes inflation and unemployment disappear by how it defines inflation and unemployment, and it makes the economy grow by how it defines Gross Domestic Product. The definitional basis determines the statistical result.

For example, in his report on the official GDP revisions released July 31, John Williams ( shadowstats.com ) writes that “academic theories, often with strong political biases, have been used to alter the GDP model over the years, resulting in “Pollyanna Creep,” where changes made to the series invariably have had the effect of upping near-term economic growth.” In other words, definitional changes produce economic growth whether or not the economy produces economic growth.

Inflation is made to disappear by substituting lower priced items for higher priced items and by defining price rises as quality improvements. Thus, the higher prices don’t count as inflation.

Unemployment disappears by defining discouraged workers who cannot find employment as people who are no longer in the work force. They simply are disappeared out of the ranks of the unemployed. It reminds me of Punjab’s magic blanket in the old cartoon strip,“Little Orphan Annie.” Punjab disposed of problem people by covering them with his blanket, or perhaps it was a rug, and they disappeared.

Despite the absurdity of the government’s data, Wall Street awaits with baited breath each new release to decide whether markets should go up or down or stay the same. In other words, the financial markets themselves take guidance from make believe numbers. In short, capitalism is rudderless. It has no reliable indicators. Everything is rigged to support the Matrix which keeps the population in a stupor.

Certainly the monthly payroll jobs number is misconstrued and has undeserved influence. If the economy is down, a jobs number significantly higher than the approximately 130,000 new jobs required to stay even with population growth is seen as a beacon of recovery. But the number is so distorted, as John Williams explains, by shifting and unstable seasonal adjustments and an average monthly add-on of 52,000 jobs from the “birth-death” model that no one really knows what the number is. Only a statistician like John Williams who is very familiar with the government’s data procedures can make much sense from the official statistics.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#960271 Aug 6, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill O funny.
US may need to speed withdrawal from Afghanistan and Islamic countries.
Not worth the bones of one US soldier.
trolls active today ;-)
trolls with no new material.

active may be an overstatement.
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#960272 Aug 6, 2013
Ilkwas wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong. President Obama did not have the senate. Al Franken was not seated until July of 2009 because his election results was challenged. Sen. Ted Kennedy died in August of 2009. These two events denied President Obama the filibuster proof majority.
The leadership of the original Al Qaeda group headed by Osama Bin Laden has been decimated. Al Qaeda has since branched off into several smaller groups.
How's that for keeping up.
Love the way you change the rules so not a majority means "super majority".

I said majority, not super majority. I just love the way you weasels spin like crazy. It's impossible to have an honest discussion with you.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#960273 Aug 6, 2013
speaking of no new material...

GOP Rep: I’d Back Birther Bill, Even Though It’s A Distraction

Moments later, when Yoho asked if such an investigation is "really how we should be spending our time," the crowd responded with an emphatic "no."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/g...

no, you should be spending time on trying to pass legislation that will never pass even though you know it will never pass.

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#960274 Aug 6, 2013
Did anyone else know there were a significant number of hard-core terrorists who escaped from several prisons in several Middle Eastern countries recently?

I just found out about it myself yesterday.

Obama must have been too busy talking about a local news story his liberal media created to keep us racially divided.

Also, how did some of you hear about the massive closing of embassies around the world?

Did I miss the president's press briefing about this too?

Guess the most important story was him calling a gay athlete to congratulate him for coming out of the closet.
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#960275 Aug 6, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress refused to fund the closing ofGITMO. This is a fact.
The Dec of 2008 Romer Report ( the document you right whiners are evidently too GD stupid to comprehend) said that the stimulus would reduce the peak u employment by 1-2 percent. Some economists predicted a peak of 9% which would make the stimulus keep it under 8%. That report clearly stated that other estimates were out there.
The problem with you is that you are too GD stupid to understand the concepts in that report.
As for Al Qaeda leadership, one senior leadership left. 15 killed under Obama.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/opinion/bergen-...
Aren't you getting tired of me proving you wrong all the time???
Sure thing, Jethro!

Bottom line, you were/are wrong on all counts:

- Obama had a Democrat House & Senate his first two years, idiot.
- Obama's fraud - his minions (based on his promise) said unemployment would not exceed 8%, try to keep up
- Obamacare is a fraud, try to keep up - everyone but you admits it will cost much more than the fraud Obama said.
- Al Qaeda leadership has NOT been decimated. When you get back to Earth, check the news about embassies being closed on an unprecedented scale. Try to keep up.
- NSA is sharing information and exceeding the limits of what it should be doing. Ask the Associated Press & DEA. Try to keep up.

Obama promised to close GITMO - bottom line - never happened, regardless of who "YOU" blame libtard

Obama is a fraud.

Since: May 11

Hustontown, PA

#960276 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
As usual, you're in denial the Democrats had a little something to do with the housing collapse and the financial meltdown - especially since the spending increased the most during the last two years before the meltdown when they controlled Congress.
You also forgot to mention the debt has tripled and will quadruple under this administration. Before it's all over but the cryin'.
The debt has not tripled. You people are dumber than sh*t.

The Debt when Obama took office was around 10.5 trillion.

The financial meltdown was announced in August of 2008. The Democrats had controlled Congress for 18 months, not two years. What policy did they change to create this?

The Recession started in 4th quarter of 2007. Please list the legislation the Democrats passed in the first 9 months of 2007 that created this recession. How much debt is directly attributabe to the Bush recession?

The housing collapse started in 2006.

Carol, you keep worshiping George Bush, Eric Cantor,John Boehner, Mitch McConnell & Paul Ryan. They took us from the balance budget you fricken idiots vlim to love to economic disaster. ON PURPOSE. They voted to take us off that path.
Anthony W

New York, NY

#960277 Aug 6, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
it's the tea party culture.
Son, or should I call you the more formal Sonic? Let me just say that I deplore the Tea Party culture and all it stands for.

They’re a bunch of activists who are mostly salt-of-the-earth, hardworking Americans who, previous to their activism in 2009, had never marched with placards or attended rallies or town halls.

It's awful how their rallying cry was and is the rule of law and getting government off their backs. The tea-party movement is and was organized around clear and abiding political principles – the very principles that formed the basis for America’s unique experiment in self-governance. They include constitutionally limited government, human rights that descend from our Creator rather than privileges bestowed by government and, more generally, a commitment to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Now Son, you and I are more the renegade Occupy Wall Street types. Am I right? Or am I right? We have more in common with jobless (unless I'm elected Mayor of course), directionless riff-raff who don’t think government can ever be big enough if their every need is not being addressed.”

The occupiers apparently have no interest in self-governance and like Obama and most Democrats seek to extend government control in the interest of forcible redistribution of wealth at the expense of individual liberty.

Yep, like our President, they are not interested or concerned with the strict limits the Constitution places on the federal government. Rather, we prefer a central government without any restrictions on its power. Human rights to us occupier types are really privileges from government that can be bargained for with loud voices and votes. Of course, privileges can be taken away by governments that grant them.

Now, the left leaning media loved us and promoted our agenda over the tea-party focus. For two years the media tried to vilify the Tea Party because they saw a remarkable and inexplicable phenomenon – normal, hardworking, flag-waving Americans who had never before in their lives marched in a demonstration or carried placards in a rally mobilizing in the streets behind the idea of returning to the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, the glue that held the republic together for 230-plus years.

Nope, the biased in our favor media preferred the “change agents” who they had championed during the 1960s and 1970s and right through the beginning of the 21st century and who reappeared in their typical anti-American form as “occupiers.” You know, like you and I who occupy this topix page.

After the tea-party activists rallied on the Capitol Mall in Washington in record numbers, they left the ellipse cleaner and tidier than they found it. The occupiers on the other hand, left feces and litter and a crime wave behind. Oh man, the media would have so preferred it had been the other way around.

But that damn Tea Party culture was full of decent people who were respectfully protesting and not raping, stealing and ruining where ever they were like the Occupiers.

I’ll bet you were as disappointed as I was. If I become Mayor, I’m letting the Occupiers back into any city park they want, because that will help lower my homeless shelter budget and give the police something to do instead of stopping & frisking the usual hoodie wearing thugs with guns.
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#960278 Aug 6, 2013
"You get the feeling absolutely nothing Obama says is the truth?"

http://floppingaces.net/2013/08/02/you-get-th...

Since: Aug 13

Kansas City, MO

#960279 Aug 6, 2013
Waxman..
Unemployment is at 7.3% and would be a percentage point lower if the republican in the house stop obstructing, trying to repeal Obamacare and pass the jobs bill that the president gave them.

Obamacare hasn't been fully implemented and it's already cut health insurance costs in New York and Calif. People are getting money back from health insurance providers. Even republican governor Jan Brewer, hardly a fan President Obama, s on board and is implementing the program.

The NSA is doing it's job. Keeping us safe.

Keep up now.
Anthony W

New York, NY

#960280 Aug 6, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Did anyone else know there were a significant number of hard-core terrorists who escaped from several prisons in several Middle Eastern countries recently?
I just found out about it myself yesterday.
Obama must have been too busy talking about a local news story his liberal media created to keep us racially divided.
Also, how did some of you hear about the massive closing of embassies around the world?
Did I miss the president's press briefing about this too?
Guess the most important story was him calling a gay athlete to congratulate him for coming out of the closet.
Hey! Get off Obama's back lady. He's making speeches about jobs and worried about carbon even while on vacation. Get your priorities straight!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 5 min RACE 639
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 6 min RACE 1,299
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min loose cannon 178,585
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 8 min RACE 7,795
Word (Dec '08) 10 min RACE 4,753
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 12 min RACE 1,501
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 14 min RACE 4,742
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 7 hr PEllen 98,344
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info