Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1404982 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#960138 Aug 5, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep coming back for more. So here it is.
Andrew Johnson became president following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Johnson issued a proclamation of pardon and amnesty to citizens in the South who would take an oath of allegiance.
As part of the pardon process, lands confiscated during the war would be returned to white landowners. So while the Radical Republicans had fully intended for there to be a massive redistribution of land from former slave owners to former slaves under Reconstruction, Johnson's policy effectively thwarted that.
It has been estimated to approximately 40,000 former slaves received grants of land under Sherman's order. But the land was taken away from them.
Denied the opportunity to own their own small farms, most former slaves were forced to live under the system of sharecropping.
Life as a sharecropper generally meant living in poverty. And sharecropping would have been a bitter disappointment to people who once believed they could become independent farmers.
http://history1800s.about.com/od/1800sglossar...
Ready to say "uncle" yet?
General Sherman's land plan was a scam that hoped to incite Southern slave revolts at the end of the Civil War. Sherman had no real authority to give land away to freed slaves. Only a full Congress in session could do that .
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960139 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
The Republican Party has a message for CNN and NBC: Stop with the Hillary Rodham Clinton shows, or no debates for you.
Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, on Monday sent blistering letters to the network bosses, calling their decision to air Clinton projects just as the 2016 White House campaign is heating up "disturbing and disappointing." And if the shows go forward, the GOP will cut CNN and NBC out of Republican debates during primary season leading up to the election.
Romney did so well in the debates ;-)
Republican primary debates seemed to damage the GOP
Republicans should refuse to participate with NBC/MSNBC regardless of the Hillary propaganda movie.

And no debates, ever, with Candy Crowley or Gwen Ifill.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960140 Aug 5, 2013
Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Any Rand was born Alisa Rosenbaum
Bocajew lily just another self-hating Jew.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960141 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Sen. McCain and Sen. Graham are in Egypt working for the USA.
McCain and Graham are working for Obama and Al Qaeda.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#960142 Aug 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
Washington Post sold for pocket change.
End of the dead tree media.
You're more stupid than I thought in attacking the Washington Post. They had the two greatest investigative scoops of the century---Watergate and the NSA spying Prism program on American phone records.(FoxNews has never come close to anything like it --they can't lick the Washington Post's boots!)

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960143 Aug 5, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
Well, end of the day and the right wingers are still wandering the desert looking for 40 acres and a mule and ... a clue.
Which stretches more, Tenzing's skin or his disrespectful Biblical allusions and sophomoric rhetoric?

Tenzing's skin. It says in the Bible that Tenzing tied his ass to a tree and walked 40 miles.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960144 Aug 5, 2013
Who was the greatest comedian in the Bible?
Samson brought the house down.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960145 Aug 5, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
They have to be opened again too eventually.
Hope Obama has a whole bunch of those remote drones hidden away somewhere. He's made it pretty clear he's not too keen on showing strength or building up our defenses militarily.
Drones are reserved for non-judicial capital punishment of American citizens.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#960146 Aug 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans should refuse to participate with NBC/MSNBC regardless of the Hillary propaganda movie.
And no debates, ever, with Candy Crowley or Gwen Ifill.
CNN might cave to Priebus' extortion, but NBC won't--they know that the GOP is desperate for public television exposure that might save their seriously low popularity ratings with the American people--the RNC will come begging well before 2014 to NBC.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960147 Aug 5, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep coming back for more. So here it is.
Andrew Johnson became president following the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Johnson issued a proclamation of pardon and amnesty to citizens in the South who would take an oath of allegiance.
As part of the pardon process, lands confiscated during the war would be returned to white landowners. So while the Radical Republicans had fully intended for there to be a massive redistribution of land from former slave owners to former slaves under Reconstruction, Johnson's policy effectively thwarted that.
It has been estimated to approximately 40,000 former slaves received grants of land under Sherman's order. But the land was taken away from them.
Denied the opportunity to own their own small farms, most former slaves were forced to live under the system of sharecropping.
Life as a sharecropper generally meant living in poverty. And sharecropping would have been a bitter disappointment to people who once believed they could become independent farmers.
http://history1800s.about.com/od/1800sglossar...
Ready to say "uncle" yet?
Ironically, this sounds just like something the Magic Negro would do. Look at how he rewarded so many of the players who lost in the bubble that burst.

Johnson made powerful friends and so, too, did the Magic Negro.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960148 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Hillary won't be the candidate.
She makes more on books and speeches
Dodging fake bullets in Sarajevo and killing ambassadors through neglect and ineptness is now profitable, eh?

She takes after her boss, the Magic Negro.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960149 Aug 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> CNN might cave to Priebus' extortion, but NBC won't--they know that the GOP is desperate for public television exposure that might save their seriously low popularity ratings with the American people--the RNC will come begging well before 2014 to NBC.
After Zimmerman gets his pound of flesh off the racist NBC boobs, they might not be able to raise the Liberal Standard anymore.

They'll come crawling to the RNC for a paycheck.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960150 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidential campaign watchers are on high alert -- Joe Biden is raising money for New Hampshire's governor.
The vice president is actually visiting Maine for an Aug. 22 fundraiser, but the money will benefit Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire -- the state that traditionally holds the first presidential primary.
Biden and former secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton are among those who may be considering a 2016 bid to replace President Obama.
From the Associated Press:
"The White House says Biden will appear at an Aug. 22 fundraiser for New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, who faces re-election next year. The event is at the Maine home of Democratic lobbyist Jim Demers. Former Maine Gov. John Baldacci and prominent lobbyist Severin Beliveau are also hosting.
"The event is sure to fuel chatter about Biden's own political pursuits. Raising money for New Hampshire candidates is a rite of passage for presidential aspirants. Biden hasn't closed the door to running again in 2016.
"Hassan attended Biden's swearing-in ceremony in January, the same weekend Biden mingled with Democratic activists from Iowa, another crucial state for presidential primary contests. He's also attended fundraisers in South Carolina."
Bloomerberg for President!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960151 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidential campaign watchers are on high alert -- Joe Biden is raising money for New Hampshire's governor.
The vice president is actually visiting Maine for an Aug. 22 fundraiser, but the money will benefit Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire -- the state that traditionally holds the first presidential primary.
Biden and former secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton are among those who may be considering a 2016 bid to replace President Obama.
From the Associated Press:
"The White House says Biden will appear at an Aug. 22 fundraiser for New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan, who faces re-election next year. The event is at the Maine home of Democratic lobbyist Jim Demers. Former Maine Gov. John Baldacci and prominent lobbyist Severin Beliveau are also hosting.
"The event is sure to fuel chatter about Biden's own political pursuits. Raising money for New Hampshire candidates is a rite of passage for presidential aspirants. Biden hasn't closed the door to running again in 2016.
"Hassan attended Biden's swearing-in ceremony in January, the same weekend Biden mingled with Democratic activists from Iowa, another crucial state for presidential primary contests. He's also attended fundraisers in South Carolina."
DemoKKKrats still supporting Filthy Filner as Woman #10 comes forward.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960152 Aug 5, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
On the run is not defeated.
Republicans supporting security in Islamic World.
teabaggers not so much
Conservatives favor letting Muslims resolve their own problems in their usual 8th Century manner, without US aid.
Hank Hill

Hoffman Estates, IL

#960153 Aug 5, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
DemoKKKrats still supporting Filthy Filner as Woman #10 comes forward.
That boy ain't right!^^^^
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960154 Aug 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> General Sherman's land plan was a scam that hoped to incite Southern slave revolts at the end of the Civil War. Sherman had no real authority to give land away to freed slaves. Only a full Congress in session could do that .
Just like the Pigford scam.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#960155 Aug 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> General Sherman's land plan was a scam that hoped to incite Southern slave revolts at the end of the Civil War. Sherman had no real authority to give land away to freed slaves. Only a full Congress in session could do that .
Sparks Notes - Reconstruction (1865–1877: http://www.sparknotes.com/history/american/re...

"The Freedmen’s Bureau

The president and Congress disagreed not only about the best way to readmit southern states to the Union but also about the best way to redistribute southern land. Lincoln, for his part, authorized several of his wartime generals to resettle former slaves on confiscated lands. General William Tecumseh Sherman’s Special Field Order No. 15 set aside land in South Carolina and islands off the coast of Georgia for roughly 40,000 former slaves. Congress, meanwhile, created the Freedmen’s Bureau in early 1865 to distribute food and supplies, establish schools, and redistribute additional confiscated land to former slaves and poor whites. Anyone who pledged loyalty to the Union could lease forty acres of land from the bureau and then have the option to purchase them several years later."

Lincoln authorized Sherman’s orders.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960156 Aug 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> You're more stupid than I thought in attacking the Washington Post. They had the two greatest investigative scoops of the century---Watergate and the NSA spying Prism program on American phone records.(FoxNews has never come close to anything like it --they can't lick the Washington Post's boots!)
Nobody buys newspapers anymore at anything close to the cost of production.

The Los Angeles Times is virtually free on home delivery. Same with San Diego Union-Times. Nobody buys the paper, but they keep publishing anyway. Just like the Pennysaver.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#960157 Aug 5, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> CNN might cave to Priebus' extortion, but NBC won't--they know that the GOP is desperate for public television exposure that might save their seriously low popularity ratings with the American people--the RNC will come begging well before 2014 to NBC.
Who needs NBC?

Time Warner Cable in Los Angeles has dropped CBS from their channel list.

Networks are joining the dead tree media.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min JRB 219,576
Chicago has the Worst Women 26 min Tip Stixx 38
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr Sublime1 103,234
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr dGo mnaDed lyHo i... 60,662
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 1,258
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 3 hr PEllen 1,804
Word (Dec '08) 3 hr PEllen 6,562

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages