Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1225025 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Anthony W

New York, NY

#959610 Aug 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
In January we were still on a growing trend of increasing job losses losing 750,000 jobs. It took just 8 months for Obama to stop that trend thanks to his stimulus bill.
I hate when people say Obama hasn't created jobs. Like he could actually, really do something. And they don't give him credit for all the flexibility the new part-timers have or all the leisure time those who have completely given up looking have.

And I hate when they say things like

Falling down on the jobs
Barack Obama just can't crack the unemployment problem

The latest abysmal report on the American workplace makes clear that President Obama hasn’t a prayer of talking his way to robust job creation. He’ll have to do a whole lot more than give speeches.

Thud, the government’s numbers went Friday.

The economy added just 162,000 jobs in July, the lowest monthly total since January, and the counts for the previous two months were revised downward. At this pace, the U.S. would languish for more than a decade before returning to pre-Great Recession employment levels.

And the news was worse than that. Hidden in the statistics was the fact that America has gotten most proficient at creating part-time rather than full-time jobs. This helped put a falsely happy face on an ever so slight decline in the unemployment rate to 7.4%.

Fully 8.25 million Americans who would rather have full-time work are now part-timers. And another 1.2 million are marginally attached to the labor force.

In July, the average work week and average hourly earnings fell. The number of people officially in the workforce dropped, by some 40,000. The labor participation rate is at a 34-year low.

Obama has begun to talk about some of the wreckage — kind of.

After running a reelection campaign in which he purported to see progress in the comeback from the collapse he inherited in 2008, the President is delivering addresses aimed, he says, at pushing Washington to move on a job-creation agenda.

Despite the economy’s persistent, debilitating weakness, he asks the country to accept the premise that “we’ve started to lay a new foundation for a stronger, more durable America” and then he says that, of course, more must be done.

Never does he squarely assess the emergency, an evasion that undermines a sense of urgency while sparing him from having to defend his failure to deliver more for the U.S. worker.

Although he has put constructive ideas on the table — including corporate tax reform and infrastructure spending — the President has heated his pitch with populist appeals on income inequality and attacks on congressional Republicans. None of which will get Obama any closer to a job-creation program than he got to gun control.

Like it or not, if he is going to remedy the declining standard of living of America’s working and middle classes, Obama must partner more constructively with his GOP adversaries.

In a recent interview with The New York Times, he signaled that he might head in that direction, saying:“I want to make sure that all of us in Washington are investing as much time, as much energy, as much debate on how we grow the economy and grow the middle class as we’ve spent over the last two to three years arguing about how we reduce the deficits.” Then he was asked about his legacy should America remain stalled. He answered:

“I think if I’m arguing for entirely different policies and Congress ends up pursuing policies that I think don’t make sense and we get a bad result, it’s hard to argue that’d be my legacy.”

He was wrong. His legacy would be a two-term President who just couldn’t get things done, but played the most golf and wifey had the best vacations.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#959613 Aug 5, 2013
Embassy, consulate closures = Al Qaeda 'on steroids' since Benghazi attack...

One Year ago Obama said al-Qaida on run and now WE are on run...

It's the culture...

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#959614 Aug 5, 2013
NJ raider 1 wrote:
<quoted text>No, the republican party killed the republican party! Their 1 true God attitude is fine but, when you begin trying to force your religious beliefs on an entire nation, you lose support. They've continuously, made the past 3 elections about moral superiority. Their stance on abortion took the cake. It's like the party is filled with cast members from Little House on the Prairie. The right claims to be bible thumpers. Then this shift in political direction should come as no surprise. " The meek shall inherit the earth." " The first shall be last &, the first shall be first." The first of the warning sign of what is to come shortly. All because y'all let arrogance , self perseverance &, greed weigh the scales of justice &, equality in this land of inequality. Slap me once, shame on me.
Slap me twice, shame on you.
Slap me 3 times &, you deserve what you got coming!
The slapping is over &, y'all deserve every bit of misfortune you all have headed your way.
So let's get this straight. After four and a half years in office with the unemployment rate at 7.4 percent and the economy continuing to stagnate, the president's master plan is to raise the minimum wage and provide community college job training? Holy hell O'bama.
Really... do we as Americans deserve an idiot like this?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#959615 Aug 5, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! No, you only agree with someone who agrees with you.
Instead of facts, you rely on a mutual admiration society to confirm your beliefs. And as long as it remains there, it's not a problem.
you just explained yourself.
PDUPONT

Easthampton, MA

#959616 Aug 5, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
Unemployed person #1: How do you spell jobs?
Unemployed person #2: J-o-f-b-s.
Unemployed person #1: But there's no f in jobs.
(Get it? No "effin" jobs?)
And whose fault is that you clueless twit? The GOP controlled House has blocked any job creation proposals from the White House. Have they proposed anything that would create jobs, repair our crumbling infrastructure and bring manufacturing jobs back from overseas? No, instead we got 40 useless going nowhere votes to repeal Obamacare at a total cost of 60 million wasted taxpayer dollars.
You're an idiot Carol.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#959617 Aug 5, 2013
Republicans Against Reality

Last week House Republicans voted for the 40th time to repeal Obamacare. Like the previous 39 votes, this action will have no effect whatsoever. But it was a stand-in for what Republicans really want to do: repeal reality, and the laws of arithmetic in particular. The sad truth is that the modern G.O.P. is lost in fantasy, unable to participate in actual governing.

Just to be clear, I’m not talking about policy substance. I may believe that Republicans have their priorities all wrong, but that’s not the issue here. Instead, I’m talking about their apparent inability to accept very basic reality constraints, like the fact that you can’t cut overall spending without cutting spending on particular programs, or the fact that voting to repeal legislation doesn’t change the law when the other party controls the Senate and the White House.

Am I exaggerating? Consider what went down in Congress last week.

First, House leaders had to cancel planned voting on a transportation bill, because not enough representatives were willing to vote for the bill’s steep spending cuts. Now, just a few months ago House Republicans approved an extreme austerity budget, mandating severe overall cuts in federal spending — and each specific bill will have to involve large cuts in order to meet that target. But it turned out that a significant number of representatives, while willing to vote for huge spending cuts as long as there weren’t any specifics, balked at the details. Don’t cut you, don’t cut me, cut that fellow behind the tree.

Then House leaders announced plans to hold a vote cutting spending on food stamps in half — a demand that is likely to sink the already struggling effort to agree with the Senate on a farm bill.

Then they held the pointless vote on Obamacare, apparently just to make themselves feel better.(It’s curious how comforting they find the idea of denying health care to millions of Americans.) And then they went home for recess, even though the end of the fiscal year is looming and hardly any of the legislation needed to run the federal government has passed.

In other words, Republicans, confronted with the responsibilities of governing, essentially threw a tantrum, then ran off to sulk.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/opinion/kru...

Prevented this

#959618 Aug 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
In January we were still on a growing trend of increasing job losses losing 750,000 jobs. It took just 8 months for Obama to stop that trend thanks to his stimulus bill.
LOL-the stimulus bill...ROTFLMAO--damn I just spit on you.
On August 4, 1955, the world welcomed Billy Bob Thornton with open arms. He is but one of the finest wearers of questionable facial hair in America — and perhaps the world." Also, President Obama was born Sunday. We'll leave it to history to decide who was more significant.

“we dem boyz”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#959619 Aug 5, 2013
Anthony W wrote:
<quoted text>I hate when people say Obama hasn't created jobs. Like he could actually, really do something. And they don't give him credit for all the flexibility the new part-timers have or all the leisure time those who have completely given up looking have.
Falling down on the jobs
The latest abysmal report on the American workplace makes clear that President Obama hasn’t a prayer of talking his way to robust job creation. He’ll have to do a whole lot more than give speeches.
The economy added just 162,000 jobs in July, the lowest monthly total since January, and the counts for the previous two months were revised downward. At this pace, the U.S. would languish for more than a decade before returning to pre-Great Recession employment levels.
And the news was worse than that. Hidden in the statistics was the fact that America has gotten most proficient at creating part-time rather than full-time jobs. This helped put a falsely happy face on an ever so slight decline in the unemployment rate to 7.4%.
Fully 8.25 million Americans who would rather have full-time work are now part-timers. And another 1.2 million are marginally attached to the labor force.
In July, the average work week and average hourly earnings fell. The number of people officially in the workforce dropped, by some 40,000. The labor participation rate is at a 34-year low.
After running a reelection campaign in which he purported to see progress in the comeback from the collapse he inherited in 2008, the President is delivering addresses aimed, he says, at pushing Washington to move on a job-creation agenda.
Despite the economy’s persistent, debilitating weakness, he asks the country to accept the premise that “we’ve started to lay a new foundation for a stronger, more durable America” and then he says that, of course, more must be done.
Never does he squarely assess the emergency, an evasion that undermines a sense of urgency while sparing him from having to defend his failure to deliver more for the U.S. worker.
Although he has put constructive ideas on the table — including corporate tax reform and infrastructure spending — the President has heated his pitch with populist appeals on income inequality and attacks on congressional Republicans. None of which will get Obama any closer to a job-creation program than he got to gun control.
Like it or not, if he is going to remedy the declining standard of living of America’s working and middle classes, Obama must partner more constructively with his GOP adversaries.
In a recent interview with The New York Times, he signaled that he might head in that direction, saying:“I want to make sure that all of us in Washington are investing as much time, as much energy, as much debate on how we grow the economy and grow the middle class as we’ve spent over the last two to three years arguing about how we reduce the deficits.” Then he was asked about his legacy should America remain stalled. He answered:
“I think if I’m arguing for entirely different policies and Congress ends up pursuing policies that I think don’t make sense and we get a bad result, it’s hard to argue that’d be my legacy.”
He was wrong. His legacy would be a two-term President who just couldn’t get things done, but played the most golf and wifey had the best vacations.
Isn't it awesome to watch the redneck repugnicans pitch fits about having to swallow the reality snot of Barak Obama STILL being in charge?! Choke it down MOFO's hahahahahaha.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#959620 Aug 5, 2013
How did the G.O.P. get to this point? On budget issues, the proximate source of the party’s troubles lies in the decision to turn the formulation of fiscal policy over to a con man. Representative Paul Ryan, the chairman of the House Budget Committee, has always been a magic-asterisk kind of guy — someone who makes big claims about having a plan to slash deficits but refuses to spell out any of the all-important details. Back in 2011 the Congressional Budget Office, in evaluating one of Mr. Ryan’s plans, came close to open sarcasm; it described the extreme spending cuts Mr. Ryan was assuming, then remarked, tersely,“No proposals were specified that would generate that path.”

What’s happening now is that the G.O.P. is trying to convert Mr. Ryan’s big talk into actual legislation — and is finding, unsurprisingly, that it can’t be done. Yet Republicans aren’t willing to face up to that reality. Instead, they’re just running away.

When it comes to fiscal policy, then, Republicans have fallen victim to their own con game. And I would argue that something similar explains how the party lost its way, not just on fiscal policy, but on everything.

Think of it this way: For a long time the Republican establishment got its way by playing a con game with the party’s base. Voters would be mobilized as soldiers in an ideological crusade, fired up by warnings that liberals were going to turn the country over to gay married terrorists, not to mention taking your hard-earned dollars and giving them to Those People. Then, once the election was over, the establishment would get on with its real priorities — deregulation and lower taxes on the wealthy.

At this point, however, the establishment has lost control. Meanwhile, base voters actually believe the stories they were told — for example, that the government is spending vast sums on things that are a complete waste or at any rate don’t do anything for people like them.(Don’t let the government get its hands on Medicare!) And the party establishment can’t get the base to accept fiscal or political reality without, in effect, admitting to those base voters that they were lied to.

The result is what we see now in the House: a party that, as I said, seems unable to participate in even the most basic processes of governing.

What makes this frightening is that Republicans do, in fact, have a majority in the House, so America can’t be governed at all unless a sufficient number of those House Republicans are willing to face reality. And that quorum of reasonable Republicans may not exist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/opinion/kru...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#959621 Aug 5, 2013
Is the GOP self-destructing?

The Republicans can't seem to agree on anything.

We've all grown used to a Congress locked in bitter warfare between two parties, producing gridlock on federal spending and other pressing issues. But the Congress that left Washington last week hit a new high in another category: gridlock among Republicans.

Take last week's unremarkable proposal by President Obama for a deal to combine corporate tax cuts (an idea Republicans love) with an increase in spending on roads and other public works (an idea only some Republicans love).

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who has emerged as Obama's chief partner in trying to negotiate bipartisan deals, praised the idea as "a good start." Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the Senate Republican leader, denounced it as a trick to boost government spending. Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), a leader of the up-and-coming tea party faction, said Republicans should stop talking about any deals and threaten to shut down the federal government instead.

And that was only in the Senate. In the House, where Republicans run the chamber, the chaos was even worse. When House leaders tried to pass exactly the sort of deep cuts in transportation and housing programs they've been calling for, they suddenly discovered that they didn't have a majority; some GOP members thought the cuts were too deep, and others thought they weren't deep enough.

How divided are Republicans in Congress? So divided, one conservative joked, that it shouldn't be called a civil war: "It's not organized enough for that."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentar...
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#959622 Aug 5, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
And whose fault is that you clueless twit? The GOP controlled House has blocked any job creation proposals from the White House. Have they proposed anything that would create jobs, repair our crumbling infrastructure and bring manufacturing jobs back from overseas? No, instead we got 40 useless going nowhere votes to repeal Obamacare at a total cost of 60 million wasted taxpayer dollars.
You're an idiot Carol.
You're still an idiot RealDumbDave... All good Marxist sheep believe their handler's propaganda. It's how and why you and your twin RealDumbDave remain on blur magnet racist urban preserve.

And... Your sheet is still showing you dumbass and your shit stained shorts are till a mess.. Pull up them pants, change your shorts and act like a real man you idiot...

It's the culture...
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#959623 Aug 5, 2013
RetiredProfessional wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it awesome to watch the redneck repugnicans pitch fits about having to swallow the reality snot of Barak Obama STILL being in charge?! Choke it down MOFO's hahahahahaha.
Due to recent Obama sequestration cuts, the light at the end of your deranged tunnel will be turned off.

Everyone has a right to be stupid, you just abuse the privilege you loser..

It's the culture...
Anthony W

New York, NY

#959624 Aug 5, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>So let's get this straight. After four and a half years in office with the unemployment rate at 7.4 percent and the economy continuing to stagnate, the president's master plan is to raise the minimum wage and provide community college job training? Holy hell O'bama.
Really... do we as Americans deserve an idiot like this?
And now they're saying the fearmongering where they are shutting embassies because of a potential terrorist attack is to take attention away from Obama's failures with the economy and many scandals. If this was Bush, we Democrats would be calling the raised alerts fearmongering. How does that go, wag the tail as they say? Oh, I typed tail and feel I must take a special picture to share. The little Weiner is asleep, Huma is out getting a mani-pedi with Bill and Hill, so I have time.

Prevented this

#959625 Aug 5, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
No Doc loans had nothing to do with the CRA.
Actually, yes they did. The regulators charged with enforcing the CRA praised them. At the behest of HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo, Fannie and Freddie promised to buy $2 trillion of “affordable” mortgages. The government was intentionally decreasing the risks to the original lenders in order to increase loans to low-income borrowers, and minorities in particular. Alright, so let's blame the 'minoritites' for signing a piece of paper--hell, if you don't want to blame CRA, let's blame the ignorant who thought they were getting something for nothing, a democrats' Utopia. Low income and no income dwellers, lower-income neighborhoods, where the foreclosures are almost twice as likely. This suggests that the kind of low income borrowers targeted by the CRA are likely to be responsible for the majority of subprime foreclosures. O'bama and his community organizing antics sure did a lot of damage in Chicago. I am sure Detroit had the same community agitating problems.

Prevented this

#959626 Aug 5, 2013
Anthony W wrote:
<quoted text>And now they're saying the fearmongering where they are shutting embassies because of a potential terrorist attack is to take attention away from Obama's failures with the economy and many scandals. If this was Bush, we Democrats would be calling the raised alerts fearmongering. How does that go, wag the tail as they say? Oh, I typed tail and feel I must take a special picture to share. The little Weiner is asleep, Huma is out getting a mani-pedi with Bill and Hill, so I have time.
I do not believe there were any threats. If there was as much chatter as there was before 9-11 something, somewhere would have been blown up. And closing embassies? what ever happened to:
"These colors never run."
O'bama shows the world what a liberal coward looks like. There were no threats-just another game played by O'bama.
GetYouMetalarmor Out

Somerset, KY

#959627 Aug 5, 2013
It raining BOOKS!!!!

Ooooooooooooooooooooo ...hep hep us mazzer-dem BOOKS is scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#959628 Aug 5, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>From your political source? I don't think you've provided much more than political claims.
You keep telling me how democrats made it bad. And that's where your 'proof' ends.... short of your right wing political sources.
Clinton didn't force banks to make bad loans. Even the enforcement arm says the same thing.
And if you're right, they should still be 'forced' to make bad loans. So I've asked you to 'prove' that bad loans are still being made, or that the law has been rescinded.
Unfortunately, all you've offered is silence and your continued claims.
Sorry. The reality of the situation and the supporting actual facts just don't match to your continued claims. So I'll have to go with what I can see versus your political ideology.
you just posted another fabricated twist & spin made up story with no regards to the facts which is obvious and the facts were thrown out the window & discarded in the name of Pseudo Liberalism and I am starting to believe you are part of the entitlement society that depends on those Pseudo Liberal Democrats economically just like those in Detroit and that is what happened to Detroit, Michigan and that was the epicenter of the New Left Pseudo Liberal Democrats and just look at the results of the Great Society Utopia implemented there which proved the Pseudo Liberal Democrats economical policy is a economical & social failure because it depends on other peoples money and that is what is wrong with Pseudo Liberalism and Democrats that align with that Ideology and again those Pseudo Liberals in Detroit proved that and the only ones left.
Anthony W

New York, NY

#959630 Aug 5, 2013
If I can't be Mayor, I want to be in Congress so I can keep my bestest healthcare ever. We Democrats that love Obama and Obamacare shouldn't have to suffer just because we pass legislation for the little people.

We Democrats are the official Ruling Class and it is no longer being hidden or denied. Obama and the Congress have just decided that we don’t want to play by the same rules as the rest the minion sheeple. Big surprise that the Office of Personnel Management has said the Obamas, the Bidens and Congress will issue a ruling that states government can keep making contributions to the health care premiums of members of Congress and their aides. In other words, the “serfs” will be paying for us and our staff to keep our “Cadillac health plans” and subsidies while the hard-working taxpayer lose theirs or face enormous premium hikes.

Here is another example of how this administration and Congress randomly decide which laws they like and which ones they don’t. For those of us paying attention we a ROTTEN REPUBLICAN Sen. Chuck Grassley,(R-Iowa) added a clause into the original text of the Affordable Care Act that said members of Congress and their aides MUST be covered by plans created by the law or offered through an exchange.

Before Obamacare, Congress and their staff were covered by a health care plan that was considered “golden”. This was being paid for by the taxpayers. Under Obamacare and Grassley’s provision, Congress and staff would be subject to the exact same treatment as the rest of ORDINARY TAXPAYERS. In other words, if government payments stopped, lawmakers and their aides would have been looking at thousands of dollars in additional premium payments.(Just like the rest the peons.) Before Obamacare, the government contributed almost 75% to their premium payments.

When they finally got around to “finding out what was in the bill”, Capitol Hill started wringing their hands and hyperventilating. With Grassley’s provision in there, that would mean that, gasp, we would have to live by the same rules as the rest of Americans and we just could not let that happen.

Long live ObamaCare for the rest of them but not for us!

“we dem boyz”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#959631 Aug 5, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>Due to recent Obama sequestration cuts, the light at the end of your deranged tunnel will be turned off.
Everyone has a right to be stupid, you just abuse the privilege you loser..
It's the culture...
It's the American culture to be fat, lazy and stupid you are correct.
Dave Barry quote - Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Dave, is that you??!!
Bet you got the fat and lazy down pat as well.
TheIndependentMa jority

Somerset, KY

#959632 Aug 5, 2013
Anthony W wrote:
<quoted text>I hate when people say Obama hasn't created jobs. Like he could actually, really do something. And they don't give him credit for all the flexibility the new part-timers have or all the leisure time those who have completely given up looking have.
Falling down on the jobs
And the number of people Employed is STILL DOWN LOWER than at the "height" of the recession-DOWN from 61 percent, to 57.8.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Scrutiny 188,007
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 48 min Patriot AKA Bozo 53,075
Dear Abby 5-6-15 3 hr Julie 6
Ask Amy 5-6-15 9 hr Mister Tonka 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 9 hr helpful explainer 99,415
News Chicago signs compare homeless to rodents 10 hr YesRodentsAll 3
Bill Clinton's Wife. 10 hr BlindHelenKeller 9
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]