Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1459870 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954483 Jul 26, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Nevermind, there's plenty of nuts in my tent.
However, they don't tend to be mouth-breathing morons.
See?
sonicfilter

Greenwood, IN

#954484 Jul 26, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>This is a fine example why you can never sue fart 'news' for providing news... because they don't!
Just opinions.
if someone tried to sue them for lying they'd swear to god they were just expressing an opinion.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954485 Jul 26, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Capital gains are income, they should be taxed at the same rate as earned income whether that be 100% or ZERO, it doesn't matter.
Why do you have to parse my posts to try and score a point. My entire point too much for you?
You're like Floriduh changing my quotes 'cause he's too stupid to debate head to head.
Assuming that you mean the same for dividends, that would result in a decrease in the value of the company and an increase in the cost of capital. Of course, that means nothing to the left. Just need to understand the consequences.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954486 Jul 26, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Capital gains are income, they should be taxed at the same rate as earned income whether that be 100% or ZERO, it doesn't matter.
Why do you have to parse my posts to try and score a point. My entire point too much for you?
You're like Floriduh changing my quotes 'cause he's too stupid to debate head to head.
Following your logic, why not tax Social Security for all?

It is income, just like capital gains.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954487 Jul 26, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Let the fun begin. Wait till the Mayor and City Council find out that they have almost no authority to do anything.
Watched this morning's news. The City's Water Department is now charging businesses for rainwater spilling off their building's roofs and into Storm Sewers.

Like one businesswoman complained to the camera "If my building wasn't here, where would the rainwater go? Into the Storm Sewer!
Tax Nature!" , she laughed. She is now being charged $162.96 per month for Rain Discharge.

This is a great way to promote businesses moving into Detroit.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954488 Jul 26, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>11AM EST, sometimes, while fishing, during speedweeks, bike week and such. And again numbnts, when I drink, I drink Coors Light, the official water of NASCAR__healthier than most soft drinks and anything sold at Starbucks.
Light beer is for sissies.

Starbucks is grossly overpriced.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954489 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Obama Challenges Republicans To a Good Old Fashioned Budget Street Fight
This week’s group of speeches along with the president’s willingness to shutdown the government show that Obama is challenging Republicans to meet him out back and settle this budget feud once and for all.
President Obama has made it clear that he would like nothing more than to make a deal to get rid of the sequester cuts, but he refuses to deal on Republican terms. Since his opposition is stuck on the word no, the White House has decided to play hardball if Republicans keep demanding nothing but more spending cuts.
According to The Washington Post,“Senior White House officials are discussing a budget strategy that could lead to a government shutdown if Republicans continue to demand deeper spending cuts, lawmakers and Democrats familiar with the administration’s thinking said Thursday. The posture represents a more confrontational approach than that of this spring, when President Obama decided not to escalate a fight over across-the-board reductions known as sequestration in an earlier budget battle with Republicans. The change in tone has been evident in repeated and little-noticed veto threats over the past few weeks by Obama, who has rarely issued the warnings with such frequency. He has made it clear that he will not sign into law Republican spending bills that slash domestic programs even more deeply than sequestration. If Republicans do not relent and the White House sticks to its position, a shutdown would be likely at the end of September, when Congress must authorize a new measure to fund the government.”
Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner responded with his characteristic weakness to the Post story. Boehner’s office is already trying to spin any potential shutdown as Obama’s fault,“This emerging White House strategy is consistent with recent administration threats to veto any spending bill unless Congress agrees to the president’s demand for a broader budget deal with higher taxes and higher spending – the type of explicit threat to shut down the government rarely seen in Washington.”
The part about a the threat of a government shutdown being rarely seen is especially laughable given that Republican Senators threatened to shutdown the government over Obamacare 4 DAYS AGO. Republicans are always threatening to shutdown the government. It’s their go to move. Republicans have threatened a government shutdown during each fiscal cliff and debt ceiling standoff. They are always threatening to shutdown the government.
President Obama isn’t playing along this time. In fact, he is taking the GOP’s favorite move away from them. Obama knows that House Republicans have to run for reelection next year. The president is betting that they don’t have the stomach for a long government shutdown. Republicans will see an advantage in shutting down the government for a little while as a symbolic gesture, but once military pay and Social Security checks don’t go out to millions of Americans they’ll be in a world of hurt.
The White House is cutting to the chase. If they want to pursue their second term agenda, they can’t waste time with this fight. Republicans are already divided on the idea of shutting down the government, and Obama is making bold strategic moves to paint them into a corner.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/26/obama-...
Bottom line: Obama unwilling to compromise.

OK, bring it on.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954490 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Obama Challenges Republicans To a Good Old Fashioned Budget Street Fight
This week’s group of speeches along with the president’s willingness to shutdown the government show that Obama is challenging Republicans to meet him out back and settle this budget feud once and for all.
President Obama has made it clear that he would like nothing more than to make a deal to get rid of the sequester cuts, but he refuses to deal on Republican terms. Since his opposition is stuck on the word no, the White House has decided to play hardball if Republicans keep demanding nothing but more spending cuts.
According to The Washington Post,“Senior White House officials are discussing a budget strategy that could lead to a government shutdown if Republicans continue to demand deeper spending cuts, lawmakers and Democrats familiar with the administration’s thinking said Thursday. The posture represents a more confrontational approach than that of this spring, when President Obama decided not to escalate a fight over across-the-board reductions known as sequestration in an earlier budget battle with Republicans. The change in tone has been evident in repeated and little-noticed veto threats over the past few weeks by Obama, who has rarely issued the warnings with such frequency. He has made it clear that he will not sign into law Republican spending bills that slash domestic programs even more deeply than sequestration. If Republicans do not relent and the White House sticks to its position, a shutdown would be likely at the end of September, when Congress must authorize a new measure to fund the government.”
Republican Speaker of the House John Boehner responded with his characteristic weakness to the Post story. Boehner’s office is already trying to spin any potential shutdown as Obama’s fault,“This emerging White House strategy is consistent with recent administration threats to veto any spending bill unless Congress agrees to the president’s demand for a broader budget deal with higher taxes and higher spending – the type of explicit threat to shut down the government rarely seen in Washington.”
The part about a the threat of a government shutdown being rarely seen is especially laughable given that Republican Senators threatened to shutdown the government over Obamacare 4 DAYS AGO. Republicans are always threatening to shutdown the government. It’s their go to move. Republicans have threatened a government shutdown during each fiscal cliff and debt ceiling standoff. They are always threatening to shutdown the government.
President Obama isn’t playing along this time. In fact, he is taking the GOP’s favorite move away from them. Obama knows that House Republicans have to run for reelection next year. The president is betting that they don’t have the stomach for a long government shutdown. Republicans will see an advantage in shutting down the government for a little while as a symbolic gesture, but once military pay and Social Security checks don’t go out to millions of Americans they’ll be in a world of hurt.
The White House is cutting to the chase. If they want to pursue their second term agenda, they can’t waste time with this fight. Republicans are already divided on the idea of shutting down the government, and Obama is making bold strategic moves to paint them into a corner.
http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/26/obama-...
So the Thief is challenging the Cops to a good Ol' Street Fight!

Why does this make me smile?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#954491 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
if someone tried to sue them for lying they'd swear to god they were just expressing an opinion.
Oooooffff course!

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954492 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
that bit of hypocrisy coming from one of the beating the dead cow experts.
'scandals? what scandals?'
Keep beating your meat and don't pay any attention to the world passing you by. Above all, DUTY!
sonicfilter

Greenwood, IN

#954493 Jul 26, 2013
The GOP push to hold government funding hostage to gutting Obamacare appears to be losing steam in Congress as a growing chorus of Republicans and conservative writers are coming out of the woodwork to urge hardliners within their party to be realistic.

“I think it’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard of,” Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) told reporters in the Capitol on Thursday.“Listen, as long as Barack Obama is president, the Affordable Care Act is going to be law.”

Republicans in the House and Senate are working to corner colleagues into withholding support for keeping government open after the lights go out on Sept. 30 unless Obamacare is defunded. And a growing number of pragmatic conservatives — in and out of Congress — recognize that’s a suicide mission that threatens the GOP’s credibility as well as its electoral prospects ahead of a promising midterm election.

In recent days, Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK), a deputy majority whip, has derided the conservative effort as a “temper tantrum” and compared it to “blackmail.” Appearing Wednesday evening on Fox News, he warned that “it is the sort of thing that creates a backlash and could cost the Republicans the majority in the House.”

Meanwhile, two well-read conservative writers — Byron York of the Washington Examiner and Ramesh Ponnuru, a columnist for Bloomberg View — put the kibosh on this plan Friday.

In an article titled “No, the GOP is not going to defund Obamacare,” York reports that Republicans privately admit they’re embarking on a fool’s errand but have to show conservatives they’re sparing no effort to fight Obamacare.

Ponnuru calls the plan “disastrous” and warns that “it will backfire.” He lists several reasons why the public “would almost certainly blame Republicans” if the government shuts down — all of which are well understood by pragmatic Republicans who witnessed the Newt Gingrich-led shutdowns of the 1990s.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/07/go...

Since: May 11

Shippensburg, PA

#954494 Jul 26, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Watched this morning's news. The City's Water Department is now charging businesses for rainwater spilling off their building's roofs and into Storm Sewers.
Like one businesswoman complained to the camera "If my building wasn't here, where would the rainwater go? Into the Storm Sewer!
Tax Nature!" , she laughed. She is now being charged $162.96 per month for Rain Discharge.
This is a great way to promote businesses moving into Detroit.
Being done in lots of communities.

Storm sewer systems & their maintenance are not free & someone has to pay for them.
sonicfilter

Greenwood, IN

#954496 Jul 26, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
So the Thief is challenging the Cops to a good Ol' Street Fight!
Why does this make me smile?
you're smiling?

you should see the grin on my face.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954497 Jul 26, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, for the thinking impaired: Its NOT about the trial, its about the lie you were so certain of.
See? You got around to Frank all on your own.
There was NOT ONE THING House Democrats could have done to prevent the House Majority Republicans from enacting ANY reform they wanted to.
And one member of the minority Party (B. Frank) sure as hell couldn't do anything to stop them.
So, back to the original question. Do you not know you're telling these lies? Is it just programming?
What is it?
Chirality also exists in politics/social science.

Tenzing exhibits both left & right rails in the train tracks that go either way.

Life is tough for Tenzing and for anyone trying to follow him:)
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954498 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
The GOP push to hold government funding hostage to gutting Obamacare appears to be losing steam in Congress as a growing chorus of Republicans and conservative writers are coming out of the woodwork to urge hardliners within their party to be realistic.
“I think it’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard of,” Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) told reporters in the Capitol on Thursday.“Listen, as long as Barack Obama is president, the Affordable Care Act is going to be law.”
Republicans in the House and Senate are working to corner colleagues into withholding support for keeping government open after the lights go out on Sept. 30 unless Obamacare is defunded. And a growing number of pragmatic conservatives — in and out of Congress — recognize that’s a suicide mission that threatens the GOP’s credibility as well as its electoral prospects ahead of a promising midterm election.
In recent days, Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK), a deputy majority whip, has derided the conservative effort as a “temper tantrum” and compared it to “blackmail.” Appearing Wednesday evening on Fox News, he warned that “it is the sort of thing that creates a backlash and could cost the Republicans the majority in the House.”
Meanwhile, two well-read conservative writers — Byron York of the Washington Examiner and Ramesh Ponnuru, a columnist for Bloomberg View — put the kibosh on this plan Friday.
In an article titled “No, the GOP is not going to defund Obamacare,” York reports that Republicans privately admit they’re embarking on a fool’s errand but have to show conservatives they’re sparing no effort to fight Obamacare.
Ponnuru calls the plan “disastrous” and warns that “it will backfire.” He lists several reasons why the public “would almost certainly blame Republicans” if the government shuts down — all of which are well understood by pragmatic Republicans who witnessed the Newt Gingrich-led shutdowns of the 1990s.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/07/go...
Many Republican voters will stay home, as they did in 2012, if the party caves in to Obama.
sonicfilter

Greenwood, IN

#954499 Jul 26, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep beating your meat and don't pay any attention to the world passing you by. Above all, DUTY!
did i miss something? beyond right wing bs?

3 years from now it'll still be...Benghazi!

you freaks are still talking about Fast and Furious. how long ago was that relegated to the dustbin of right wing faux scandals?

it might help if you guys could come up with an original scandal. so far all you've got are Bush reruns.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#954500 Jul 26, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Chirality also exists in politics/social science.
Tenzing exhibits both left & right rails in the train tracks that go either way.
Life is tough for Tenzing and for anyone trying to follow him:)
lol! And yet, it's the right wing idiots who are complaining!

Just leave my country son. I've told you that before, everyone will be happy that way!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#954501 Jul 26, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Nevermind, there's plenty of nuts in my tent.
However, they don't tend to be mouth-breathing morons.
A gun charge that is really a BS drug charge.

http://www.wtop.com/109/3401798/Kokesh-transf...

Since: May 11

Shippensburg, PA

#954502 Jul 26, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"real dumb"
You are dumb. If one takes a part time job, he is no longer listed as unemployed. The business does provide health insurance to full time employees, managers, department heads, buyers. The employees who take the part time positions they know going in that health insurance will not be provided. They made a choice. Unlike you they are working, they do not have their hand out.
Peace
KMA
So. You say the employer currently has health insurance for their full time employees.

But now, because of Obamacare, they will dumb many full time & replace with part timers.

Why?

Why didn't they dump them before to avoid the health insurance issue?

It makes no sense.

I think you or the owner are tell fibs here.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#954503 Jul 26, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
you're smiling?
you should see the grin on my face.
I have and here it is:

http://www.bing.com/az/hprichbg/rb/WesternTar...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr District 1 231,181
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 1,975
last post wins! (Dec '10) 3 hr They cannot kill ... 2,762
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr Ize Found 71,238
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 6 hr Go Blue Forever 104,548
The Color of Crime in Chicago. 6 hr Earl 20
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr Into The Night 62,343

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages