Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#945798 Jul 16, 2013
George Zimmerman just walked away a free man, but the family of Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old he killed, may still yet see Zimmerman on a witness stand.

The 29-year-old former neighborhood watch volunteer was acquitted Saturday of all criminal charges in the 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed black teen who was walking home from a convenience store.

Case closed? Not quite.

Zimmerman may still yet face a wrongful death suit from the Martin family, the family's lawyer, Benjamin Crump, said on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday.

After O.J. Simpson was acquitted of murder in the deaths of his ex-wife and her friend in 1995, the families sued the football star in civil court. A jury held Simpson liable for the deaths and awarded them $33.5 million dollars.

Though the victims' families received almost none of that money, many considered it a symbolic victory for them. They got to see Simpson try to explain himself under oath. They also prevented him from profiting from his notoriety.

To be sure, Zimmerman may also face federal charges, if the Justice Department thinks it can pursue hate crime charges.

However, a civil trial would offer the Martin family two big advantages: They might be able to force Zimmerman to testify, and the burden of proof is much lower.

To win in a criminal trial, prosecutors need to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Plaintiffs in a civil case do not have that burden.

"The standard of proof in a civil case -- by a preponderance of the evidence -- is much lower than the standard in a criminal case," Anne Bremner, a Seattle lawyer and legal analyst who has been closely following the Zimmerman case, told The Huffington Post.

Bremner has handled several high-profile civil cases, including those involving Mary Kay LeTourneau, a Washington schoolteacher who was imprisoned for having sexual intercourse with a student, and missing Utah mom Susan Cox Powell.

According to Bremner, additional evidence could be admitted in a civil case, and information about Zimmerman's prior run-ins with the law might be brought up. This would likely include the admission of a 2005 motion for a restraining order Zimmerman's ex-fiance filed, alleging domestic violence.

"You always get more information in a civil case," Bremner said.

While Zimmerman exercised his right not to testify at his criminal trial, a civil case could compel him to take the stand and explain what happened on Feb. 26, 2012 –- the day he shot and killed Martin.

"Zimmerman will have to testify unless he can take the Fifth, as there are the possible federal criminal charges. But by the time of a civil trial, any federal charges should be resolved. And, there are plenty of areas of questioning that will not implicate the privilege. There is [also] the possibility of the judge giving an instruction that the jury can draw a negative inference from any invocation," Bremner said -- meaning if Zimmerman doesn't testify, the jury would be allowed to consider that absence in a negative light.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/15/geor...

“It's always darkest 'fore dawn”

Since: Jul 08

When's dawn?

#945799 Jul 16, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. That's why the Democrats are dominated by racial hatred. Trayvon Martin is an excellent example, as well as the so-called "protests" about his exoneration.
A jury of all women, to include one black woman, sitting in a court room adjudicated by a left-wing radical Democrat who ignored the Constitution, heard both sides of the story.
Their conclusion: You are a liar.
So, what racist riot are you going to join?
Look, Stupid, there was no black woman on the jury; five white, one hispanic...what do you think you are, a lying piece of crap viral right-wing email?

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#945800 Jul 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you, you're first post was as substantial as it was gonna get.
Should quit while you're ahead.
Quit whining about things you are not familiar with like racism, assault, politics and 'substance'.

Quit while you're ahead.
Another WTF Moment

Waynesboro, MS

#945801 Jul 16, 2013
Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses

Quote:
The Nazi boycott of Jewish businesses in Germany took place on 1 April 1933, soon after Adolf Hitler was sworn in as Chancellor on 30 January 1933. The boycott was the first of many measures against the Jews of Germany, which ultimately culminated in the "Final Solution". It was a state-managed campaign of ever-increasing harassment, arrests, systematic pillaging, forced transfer of ownership to Nazi party activists (managed by the Chamber of Commerce) and ultimately murder of owners defined as "Jews". In Berlin alone, there were 50,000 Jewish owned businesses (almost 50% of all Berlin's private owned business) when the Nazis came to power. By 1945 they all had "Christian" owners.

Read: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_boycott_o...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#945802 Jul 16, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you not come up with this?
The reason Travon Martin was shot was simply that he had been indoctrinated with hatred of white people his entire life. If he had been raised by a family, it is very likely this would have not happened, if you believe the statistics comparing young men raised by a family to young men not raised by a family.
All the so-called "protesters" are nothing more than the racists who hate white people because they are white.
Everyone here who refuses to accept the facts of the case are in deliberate denial because the facts conflict with your racially biased hatred.
Travon got killed because he had been indoctrinated in hatred of the white man only because of their race.
But, I'm inclined to believe he was in an extremely high risk category of being killed by some rival gang if he hadn't attacked Zimmerman and been shot then.
If Martin had been raised by a family Zimmerman wouldn't have shot him?

Wow.

Do you suppose Zimmerman asked him first if he had been raised by a family?

Let's take this to its logical extension, if one is raised by a "family" is one compelled to go out and kill those who weren't?

Since: Nov 11

Westerville, OH

#945803 Jul 16, 2013
Zimmerman Prosecutor [A LIBERAL OF COURSE] Indicted For Allegely Falsifying arrest warrant and complaint

Zimmerman prosecutor Angela Corey criminally indicted by citizens’ grand jury for allegely falsifying arrest warrant and complaint.

http://beforeitsnews.com/opinion-conservative...
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#945804 Jul 16, 2013
DBWriter wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you not come up with this?
The reason Travon Martin was shot was simply that he had been indoctrinated with hatred of white people his entire life. If he had been raised by a family, it is very likely this would have not happened, if you believe the statistics comparing young men raised by a family to young men not raised by a family.
All the so-called "protesters" are nothing more than the racists who hate white people because they are white.
Everyone here who refuses to accept the facts of the case are in deliberate denial because the facts conflict with your racially biased hatred.
Travon got killed because he had been indoctrinated in hatred of the white man only because of their race.
But, I'm inclined to believe he was in an extremely high risk category of being killed by some rival gang if he hadn't attacked Zimmerman and been shot then.
Because I unlike you do not make sh!t up. Most people state opinion as what they are: opinions. You state your opinions as fact, but then again you are full of sh!t.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#945805 Jul 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you talking about moron? There aren't any brown US citizens?????
Savage demoKrats, hating on white Hispanics, brown people, looting, rioting, burning America is an excellent campaign strategy for you racist demoKrats in 2014.

You savages are worse then the TEA Party...

It's the culture...

Location hidden

#945806 Jul 16, 2013
LCN Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes
carol has logical fallacies with hasty generalization and straw man the most obvious.
Other f*x posters have racist posts they can't say at work on in the welfare line.
Post hoc ergo proptor hoc is one of her favorites.

In other words, because one thing followed another the precedent caused the antecedent.

Location hidden

#945807 Jul 16, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>So kind of a good news/bad news post.
I take my steak tartare toss em on the grill and make hamburgers out of em. Homer likes his food well done. But then Homer just simple folk, some would say simpleminded.
"Well done"????

You're dead to me Homer.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#945808 Jul 16, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Because I unlike you do not make sh!t up. Most people state opinion as what they are: opinions. You state your opinions as fact, but then again you are full of sh!t.
Homer trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad...

Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Obama, your demoKratic party make a living pimping Race and Hatred...

It's the culture...

Lapeer, MI

#945809 Jul 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
Let's take this to its logical extension, if one is raised by a "family" is one compelled to go out and kill those who weren't?
"It is not good enough to have a good mind; the main thing is
to use it well."

-- Rene Descartes

You should not only be ashamed of using *LOGICAL* in a sentence the way you did but you should also be barred from using it all.

Hoodieman died as the result of his particular black upbringing which statistics show includes poor family and social values.

Now go play with your 'logical extensions':}

Hee, Hee.

When's dawn?

#945810 Jul 16, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>Savage demoKrats, hating on white Hispanics, brown people, looting, rioting, burning America is an excellent campaign strategy for you racist demoKrats in 2014.
You savages are worse then the TEA Party...
It's the culture...
The word is THAN not THEN, Stupid Semen Hole Sock...that's the last time I'm telling you--and the last time I'm acknowledging your pitiful cyber-existence. Back in the Fenny/Knock-knock drawer with ya'.

Location hidden

#945811 Jul 16, 2013
martinezjosei wrote:
Zimmerman Prosecutor [A LIBERAL OF COURSE] Indicted For Allegely Falsifying arrest warrant and complaint
Zimmerman prosecutor Angela Corey criminally indicted by citizens’ grand jury for allegely falsifying arrest warrant and complaint.
How does this retard operate a computer?

Truly a testament to the ease of modern technology!

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#945812 Jul 16, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if Martin had just thrown Skittles at Zimmerman instead of breaking his facial bones and trying to beat his head on the sidewalk he'd be happily skipping school and smoking pot right now.
Or perhaps getting his life together. That's the tragedy. He should have thrown the Skittles.
And how long are we as a liberal society supposed to give George Zimmerman to get his life in order? Since it appears that George Zimmerman was living paycheck -to -pay check, spent long hours at home on his computer and looking out the window at the neighbors, rarely spent a few minutes in the morning before his coffee heated up to glance at the classified ads for job openings, although neighbors of George Zimmerman occasionally complained of his "attitude", blaming others for his misfortunes (real or imagined) especially the newly arrived immigrant families who appeared to be happier on his block, who had opened their own small businesses, grocery outlets, auto repairmen, tax advisers, etc. in the area.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#945813 Jul 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
Are you Detzing trying to say that "Blacks are eight times more likely to commit robbery"???

It's the culture...

Lapeer, MI

#945814 Jul 16, 2013
martinezjosei wrote:
And why hasn't the Liberal MSM picked up this? I haven't seen anything regarding this treacherousbitch Corey in the Liberal Media.

L.A. whites should starting looting to get their flatscreen TV's back.

When's dawn?

#945815 Jul 16, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Post hoc ergo proptor hoc is one of her favorites.
In other words, because one thing followed another the precedent caused the antecedent.
The last time carol thinks she was happy (with or without her country) was in 1961; Obama was born (in Kenya?) in 1961; therefore, Obama is the reason carol is so unhappy today...

(That should not be confused with: Carol is unhappy that Obama was ever born--which is a simple statement of fact.)

Location hidden

#945816 Jul 16, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Because I unlike you do not make sh!t up. Most people state opinion as what they are: opinions. You state your opinions as fact, but then again you are full of sh!t.
So if HE'S full of shit ... then his OPinions are ...

I see where you're going with this.
No Surprize

Seminole, FL

#945817 Jul 16, 2013
leosnana wrote:
<quoted text>The word is THAN not THEN, Stupid Semen Hole Sock...that's the last time I'm telling you--and the last time I'm acknowledging your pitiful cyber-existence. Back in the Fenny/Knock-knock drawer with ya'.
If not for Kentucky you ignorant hillbilly, Ohio would not exist...

Savage demoKrats, hating on white Hispanics, brown people, looting, rioting, burning America is an excellent campaign strategy for you racist demoKrats in 2014. You savages are worse than the TEA Party...

It's the culture...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 min Lawrence Wolf 50,788
Abby 10-30 24 min RACE 26
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 47 min Patriot AKA Bozo 47,600
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 53 min RACE 98,568
Amy 10-31 1 hr RACE 3
Abby 10-31 1 hr loose cannon 9
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Cheftell 68,686
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Learn to Read 179,685

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 9:05AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]