Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 42,802)

Showing posts 856,021 - 856,040 of1,078,416
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Too Ugly to Win”

Since: May 10

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>You failed to read the entire link to Park Ridge or you really lied about knowing the town. The town did have a industrial/ retail base with its traditional brick-making business as a core industry to the town's development. And now you're telling me that you oppose U S Constitution civil right equal housing laws . A pewrson ought to have a right to live wherever he damn well pleases and not be forced by the prejudice or racism of others to live someplace else.
DID you read your own post. DID they don't anymore. A "Pew-son" has a right to live where ever they can afford to live. There is no reason why they should have TAX Payer housing forced on that city or any other one. It is now in every city or town in Illinois. O'bama made sure that communities would be disrupted by housing at least 10% dead beats and thugs, illegal aliens and gang bangers-more than likely the same. Moslems and terrorists also go into low housing in these areas and destroy communities. Who is going to foot the bill once all these tax payers leave?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Under Republican President George W. Bush, many federal agencies turned a blind eye to activities which would later precipitate the global financial meltdown. The Securities and Exchange Commission decided to allow the nation's largest financial institutions to "self-regulate;" the Federal Reserve under Alan Greenspan declined to use its power to regulate subprime mortgages; the Comptroller of the Currency decided to preempt state consumer laws on subprime mortgages.

Meanwhile, President Bush himself demanded that Fannie and Freddie increase the percentage of subprime loans they purchased, supposedly because of his belief in an "ownership society." Incidentally, increased lending to subprime borrowers would also fuel astronomical profits by the financial services industry. I publicly opposed giving mortgages to unqualified borrowers because I believed that some families are better off renting.

Yet somehow none of this was recorded in the Republican collective memory.

Forgotten too is the significant progress that was made after the 2006 elections, when the Republicans in Congress were repudiated by American voters.

Ironically, this is the period in which I and my Democratic colleagues actually did possess the magical power needed to make real change in Washington -- we became the majority party. In March 2007, just two months after I became the Chairman of the Financial Services Committee for the first time, I moved quickly to forge a bill which would regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The bill passed the House in May, with all 223 Democrats voting for it, and 103 Republicans voting against it. President Bush later signed that legislation into law.

Later in 2007, I introduced legislation to restrict subprime mortgages. The bill passed the Financial Services Committee and the House, but it did not pass the Senate, where because of the filibuster rule, the Republican minority actually does have the power to hobble the majority. The bill passed the full House with all 227 Democrats and 64 Republicans voting for it, and 127 Republicans voting against.

Ironically, those Republicans who now attack me most viciously and whose memories are the most impaired were among those who voted against both bills.

Republicans also forget -- or do not understand -- that the present financial crisis has many fathers. The failure to pass any meaningful legislation before 2007 allowed unscrupulous actors to gorge themselves at the public's expense. Unregulated mortgage brokers sold subprime loans including the now infamous NINA (No Income No Assets). Major financial institutions packaged bad mortgages into securities and sold them as low-risk investments. Rating agencies gave stellar grades to toxic assets while being paid by the companies who stood to benefit from their actions. Insurance companies like AIG issued Credit Default Swaps which magically turned toxic assets into gold.

The executives of some of those institutions now seek bonuses for their fine work. Perhaps my Republican colleagues should ask for bonuses too.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/200...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>There is nothing in the Constitution about the Air Force either son.
The Air Force was once part of the Army which is in there.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Can an unviable fetus?
Is a fetus viable when it has a beating heart and has developed its major organs by the end of the fourth week?

Or when it can suck its thumb by the twelfth week?

Is a 12-week gestation fetus sucking its thumb not human?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Obama spoke generically about "acts of terror", but did not specifically call Benghazi an act of terror. This was clearly intentional, to give him deniability either way.
Of course that's how you see it, you're a Republican.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)— Sales of new homes rose in May to the highest rate since mid-2008 and purchases in the early spring were also higher than originally estimated, the government said Tuesday.

New home sales rose 3.6% in the West.
Sales increased 2.1% last month to an annual rate of 476,000, the Commerce Department said, providing more evidence of the robust recovery underway in the U.S. housing market.

Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast sales in May to reach an annual rate of 464,000.

Sales rose in May despite a reversal in mortgage rates that extended into June. The rate on a 30-year mortgage topped 4% for the first time in a year, up from 3.5% just a few months ago, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-us-home-...

Keep up the good work Mr. president. Faith is slowly being restored after the Bush debacle.

“Too Ugly to Win”

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, its her body therefore her choice.
I know how much you Republicans hate letting individuals make their own choices and take responsibility for the consequences of those choices but that's just how a free society's supposed to work.
Having the government make all your personal decisions is not "less government".
If liberals were so concerned about 'her body' and her choice they never would have passed O'bamacare. If you find the necessity to live in a country where every person is able to make their own choices about health. The United States is not going to be one. Freedom of choice to decide what treatment you want to choose for any illness is not covered in O'bamacare-but all will be charged for the treatment of the masses. Certainly not the way a free society works.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
I help put people like you in jail, son. I've met many poor souls just like you.
I'm sure you do son.

And I'm sure you live there with them as well.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Son we KNOW Clinton signed GLB. It's a fact. It's historical.
The funny part is cons just don't accept any responsibility in the destruction process, especially with the repeal of Glass-Steagal. Or the the fact it was capitalism that screwed the pooch on this.
It appears to me Progressives are in major DENIAL mode that several factors effected the Housing Bubble including Clinton's expansion of CRA.

The BUSH ONLY mantra was childish from the start.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> The Air Force was once part of the Army which is in there.
Not the Air Force son.

But if you're going to play that game, please show me where the Coast Guard is.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Homer wrote:
What's up gang? What's the latest rightwing fantasy scare? Obama coming for your piggy banks?
Not much.

Seems lily is stuck on anyone who disagrees with Obama is a terrorist.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a list of 20 years of change in GDP, can you pick out the years represented by the "catastrophic" recession that compelled George to put an end to those pesky surpluses and start a couple of wars?
No, because I don't see 9/11 anywhere on your little list.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Home prices see record jump in April: Case-Shiller

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)—Prices for U.S. homes leapt in April, posting record monthly growth and the fastest year-over-year growth in seven years, according to S&P/Case-Shiller data released Tuesday.

With gains in 19 of 20 cities, the 20-city composite index rose 2.5% in April, the largest monthly growth on record. The data go back to 2000. After seasonal adjustments, prices rose 1.7% in April.

After the Case-Shiller data and other economic reports, U.S. stocks opened higher.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/home-prices-...

It's unfortunate Obama cannot run again in 2016, clearly his policies are working.

And to think he has half the country against him and still things continue to improve.

Oh well, hopefully Hillary will continue down this path.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

The Supreme Court has effectively gutted one of the nation's most important and effective civil rights laws,” Jon Greenbaum, chief counsel for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in a statement.“Minority voters in places with a record of discrimination are now at greater risk of being disenfranchised than they have been in decades. Today's decision is a blow to democracy. Jurisdictions will be able to enact policies which prevent minorities from voting, and the only recourse these citizens will have will be expensive and time-consuming litigation.”

“Today’s U.S. Supreme Court decision erases fundamental protections against racial discrimination in voting that have been effective for more than 40 years,” Elisabeth MacNamara, president of the League of Women Voters of the United States, said in a statement.“Congress must act quickly to restore the Voting Rights Act.”

“Today will be remembered as a step backwards in the march towards equal rights,” said Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.“We must ensure that this day is just a page in our nation’s history, rather than the return to a dark chapter."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/voti...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course that's how you see it, you're a Republican.
You are the guy into fact check sites.

" when given repeated opportunities to forthrightly declare this was an “act of terrorism,” the president ducked the question.

For instance, on Sept. 12, immediately after the Rose Garden statement the day after the attack, Obama sat down with Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes and acknowledged he purposely avoided the using the word “terrorism:”

KROFT:“Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word ‘terrorism’ in connection with the Libya attack.”

OBAMA:“Right.”

KROFT:“Do you believe that this was a terrorist attack?”

OBAMA:“Well, it’s too early to know exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-chec...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

President Barack Obama reacted to the Supreme Court ruling in a statement:

I am deeply disappointed with the Supreme Court’s decision today. For nearly 50 years, the Voting Rights Act – enacted and repeatedly renewed by wide bipartisan majorities in Congress – has helped secure the right to vote for millions of Americans. Today’s decision invalidating one of its core provisions upsets decades of well-established practices that help make sure voting is fair, especially in places where voting discrimination has been historically prevalent.
As a nation, we’ve made a great deal of progress towards guaranteeing every American the right to vote. But, as the Supreme Court recognized, voting discrimination still exists. And while today’s decision is a setback, it doesn’t represent the end of our efforts to end voting discrimination. I am calling on Congress to pass legislation to ensure every American has equal access to the polls. My Administration will continue to do everything in its power to ensure a fair and equal voting process.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears to me Progressives are in major DENIAL mode that several factors effected the Housing Bubble including Clinton's expansion of CRA.
The BUSH ONLY mantra was childish from the start.
lol! Son, Clinton didn't expand CRA. Or perhaps you can show me how he expanded it?

“Too Ugly to Win”

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Psst! CRA was passed under Carter son.
If you had any brains, you'd know that.
You really are out of your league son. And all it does it expose your partisan politics and how you like to twist facts around.
Although minor amendments were made directly to the Community Reinvestment Act concerning the consideration of minority and female owned institutions & partnerships during evaluations first established in 1991, other portions of the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 indirectly affected the CRA practices at the time in requiring Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the two government sponsored enterprises that purchase and securitize mortgages, to devote a percentage of their lending to support affordable housing.
And Fannie and Freddie crash. And now the government completely owns them right?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Happens every day. The country would have been no worse off than it is now. In fact the banks are now even bigger and fewer and in far more danger of failing.
Oh and by the way the banks took the media heat but the real problem was AIG which held the insurance on all those bank loans and many other type of insurance.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a fetus viable when it has a beating heart and has developed its major organs by the end of the fourth week?
Or when it can suck its thumb by the twelfth week?
Is a 12-week gestation fetus sucking its thumb not human?
Can it live outside the womb at 12 weeks?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 856,021 - 856,040 of1,078,416
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

66 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Amy 7-23 14 min Toj 5
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 19 min voice of peace 67,871
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 21 min PEllen 97,513
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 30 min loose cannon 174,462
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 36 min gottondas 68,361
Abby 7-23 2 hr RACE 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Terry rigsby 48,837
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 3:16AM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••