Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1250545 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

John Galt

Temecula, CA

#932077 Jun 25, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>You are not a credible source on Obamacare because you never even read it. Read it,boobie ,dem we talk ;
No need to read 2000+ pages of crap to find out which insurers are participating in the exchange in any given state.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

#932078 Jun 25, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text> So you do not have health insurance & relied on me to cover your ass if you developed a serious condition. You & Flacktard using the rest of us to cover your butts. Talk abut moochers.
"If"

Most people don't develope serious conditions. Beside, the catastrophic coverage flack has covers it, not you.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LNC Llin

United States

#932079 Jun 25, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is acting unconstitutionally once again by proclaiming law that Congress refused to pass.
Even then, Obama weasel-worded his speech, saying that human activity "contributed" to global warming, not "caused" global warming.
So, the question is how much contribution?
1%, 5%, 10% 25&, 50%?
Even Galt would might to some minimal contribution, but the net effect of all Obama's decrees would be negligible as a solution.
Obama's objective is to destroy America as a world power.
amusing

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#932080 Jun 25, 2013
Conservatives were elated — and voting rights supporters crushed — when the Supreme Court decided on Tuesday to nix the standards the federal government had been using to determine which states and local governments with histories of disenfranchising minority voters should be subject to the closer scrutiny of the Voting Rights Act.

The ruling at least temporarily guts a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, and provides conservative activists in mostly southern states a window of undetermined length to pass laws that hinder minority voting rights.

But it’s ironically a nightmare for the two most powerful Republicans in the country, who are currently struggling with another issue — immigration reform — that’s central to the party’s minority outreach strategy.

In response to the ruling, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) punted.

“I haven’t read it yet. Obviously it’s an important bill that passed back in the ’60s at a time when we had a very different America than we have today,” McConnell told reporters Tuesday afternoon at his weekly Capitol briefing.“My state is not covered by the Voting Rights Act. There may be others who want to comment on it. At this point I think I’m going to read it first. But I would say I do think America is very different today from what it was in the 1960s.”

Meanwhile, in response to TPM’s request for comment, a spokesman deferred House Speaker John Boehner’s reaction to the ruling to House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and House Administration Committee Chair Candice Miller (R-MI).

There’s a perfectly good reason the two don’t want to get ahead of themselves.

The Court’s conservative majority didn’t rule that so-called “preclearance” standards are unconstitutional — just that the ones Congress had adopted, most recently in 2006, no longer fly.

That means it’s up to Congress to replace them, and it’s up to Republicans in Congress to decide if they’re going to stand in the way.

“It is up to Congress to right the wrong of this decision and ensure that we do not turn back the clock on America’s democratic progress,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in an official response to the ruling.“The Senate will act. I have asked Chairman Leahy to immediately examine the appropriate path for the Senate to address this decision.”

That puts McConnell and Boehner in the same predicament they face in the fight over immigration reform: Would killing new Voting Rights Act standards ahead of the 2014 election be valuable enough in the near term (for both the party as a whole and their own leadership prospects) to outweigh the damage it would do to them in 2016 and the future with minority voters who will be watching this story very closely.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/vo...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#932081 Jun 25, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
No way you say the mid-morning dip is stocks was due to hunger.
I am using stocks identified as gainers for this year.
Gulfport Energy Corp. GROOP
http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investpl...
"post" means after so what does the class think "post-lunch" means?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#932082 Jun 25, 2013
Fox Denies Temperature Record To Dispute Obama's Climate Speech

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/06/25/fox-d...

Barack Obama says the 12 hottest years on record have come in the last 15 years

Data from NASA shows 13 of the hottest years on record have come in the last 15, and by a different data set produced by NOAA, 14 of the hottest years on record have come in the last 15. Obama was actually over-cautious in his statement, so we rate his statement True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#932083 Jun 25, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
sonicfilter's posts have simply become background noise in a Diarrhea Ward.
I might stop to read one-in-a-hundred and comment on even less.
They all are a single stale drone of Leftist links and propaganda.
Your constant whines are much worse. Go back and re-read a few, try to find something that makes an intelligent point.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#932084 Jun 25, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
That is strange as insurance premiums increase usually annually but definitely every two years.
Uhhhhh... lemme check.

... nope.

Week after next I will have worked for this employer for two years, we'll see.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#932085 Jun 25, 2013
<quoted text>You are not a credible source on Obamacare because you never even read it. Read it,boobie ,dem we talk ;
Aetna, Cigna, United Healthcre, Humana, and others have all declined to participate in Covered California

In some counties, the only choices are Blue Cross or Kaiser Permanente (a place to die for).

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LNC Llin

United States

#932086 Jun 25, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Conservatives were elated — and voting rights supporters crushed — when the Supreme Court decided on Tuesday to nix the standards the federal government had been using to determine which states and local governments with histories of disenfranchising minority voters should be subject to the closer scrutiny of the Voting Rights Act.
The ruling at least temporarily guts a key provision of the Voting Rights Act, and provides conservative activists in mostly southern states a window of undetermined length to pass laws that hinder minority voting rights.
But it’s ironically a nightmare for the two most powerful Republicans in the country, who are currently struggling with another issue — immigration reform — that’s central to the party’s minority outreach strategy.
In response to the ruling, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) punted.
“I haven’t read it yet. Obviously it’s an important bill that passed back in the ’60s at a time when we had a very different America than we have today,” McConnell told reporters Tuesday afternoon at his weekly Capitol briefing.“My state is not covered by the Voting Rights Act. There may be others who want to comment on it. At this point I think I’m going to read it first. But I would say I do think America is very different today from what it was in the 1960s.”
Meanwhile, in response to TPM’s request for comment, a spokesman deferred House Speaker John Boehner’s reaction to the ruling to House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and House Administration Committee Chair Candice Miller (R-MI).
There’s a perfectly good reason the two don’t want to get ahead of themselves.
The Court’s conservative majority didn’t rule that so-called “preclearance” standards are unconstitutional — just that the ones Congress had adopted, most recently in 2006, no longer fly.
That means it’s up to Congress to replace them, and it’s up to Republicans in Congress to decide if they’re going to stand in the way.
“It is up to Congress to right the wrong of this decision and ensure that we do not turn back the clock on America’s democratic progress,” said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in an official response to the ruling.“The Senate will act. I have asked Chairman Leahy to immediately examine the appropriate path for the Senate to address this decision.”
That puts McConnell and Boehner in the same predicament they face in the fight over immigration reform: Would killing new Voting Rights Act standards ahead of the 2014 election be valuable enough in the near term (for both the party as a whole and their own leadership prospects) to outweigh the damage it would do to them in 2016 and the future with minority voters who will be watching this story very closely.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/vo...
Republican attempts to suppress voting backfired nicely in 2012 with voters staying in line for up to 8 hours.

This will resonate with voters looking for another reason to see the republican "war on women" expanded to "war on voters".

Mr Coal also seems upset

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#932087 Jun 25, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Your failure to follow a thread of thought is becoming a bad habit of yours.
John Galt wrote: You miss the point that Galt wants to negotiate coverage with an insurance provider without the government dictating the elements of that coverage.
You-So you can "negotiate" it down to where I have to pay for it again? Terrific!
Me- We were paying for own Health Care prior to Obamacare. I don't think your point is valid.
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/us/politics/TI79GC...
So by "we" you mean you and Galt?

How the fck do you know he has insurance, self insures, or just mooches off the emergency room?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#932088 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
"post" means after so what does the class think "post-lunch" means?
East Coast bias

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#932089 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhh... lemme check.
... nope.
Usually on a calendar ear basis, not on employment anniversary.

But you know that.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#932090 Jun 25, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican attempts to suppress voting backfired nicely in 2012 with voters staying in line for up to 8 hours.
This will resonate with voters looking for another reason to see the republican "war on women" expanded to "war on voters".
Mr Coal also seems upset
Impossible for Republicans to lose any black votes, so.....

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#932091 Jun 25, 2013
Emoron wrote:
<quoted text>
Your constant whines are much worse. Go back and re-read a few, try to find something that makes an intelligent point.
right wing hypocrisy seems to have become epidemic.

so as long as we continue to suffer with the likes of FOXbot carol and her comrades, the background noise/what the FOXbots would rather not hear will continue unabated.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#932092 Jun 25, 2013
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Bettie Lou!!! What did I just get through telling you?!!!
He did it! "What video?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
These were the options you provided in your reply to Carol:

"George Bush or Slavery or Sun Spots......"

Guess you were wrong but you're used to that now aren't you?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#932093 Jun 25, 2013
<quoted text>Yes,there is. Read the Fair Housing Civil Rights Act of 1968. Racists and conservative segregationists back-benchers would like Americans to forget that LBJ crucial civil rights reform of the late 1960's.
Hi liar (Democrat)!

Are you referring the Civil Rights Act Bill of 1968 where percentage-wise,

MORE DEMOCRATS VOTED AGAINST IT,

than Republicans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act...

Yes, thought so.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#932094 Jun 25, 2013
LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr Coal also seems upset
oh sure, they're celebrating the racist bent of the Court.

until 2016. and then....more backfire.

i can hardly wait to see what excuses FOX comes up with when Hillary's won the WH.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Location hidden

#932095 Jun 25, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
They slumped mid-morning as Flack stated not after lunch as your claim.
The bottom line is they did slump and then recovered.
It wasn't Flack that said they tanked right before the speech then recovered after [insert something Whatever made up], it was you.

Having trouble following the conversation?

Maybe its all the numbers. Right-wing idiots always fall apart once the numbers come out.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Waxman

Windsor, CT

#932096 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhhhhh... lemme check.
... nope.
You get paid to post on Topix all day long?

You are a thief, ripping someone off.

What a Loser!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Rogue Scholar 05 191,946
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 9 min TRD 70,136
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 min PEllen 99,878
Ask Amy 7-1-15 22 min PEllen 2
Dear Abby 7-1-15 24 min PEllen 1
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 30 min Luke 52,007
News Worldhotels Adds Chicagoland Hotel and Conventi... 1 hr Mrhonesty 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages