Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931843 Jun 25, 2013
NAANTALI, Finland (AP)— Russian President Vladimir Putin says that National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden is in the transit zone of a Moscow airport and will not be extradited to the United States.

Putin said that Snowden hasn't crossed the Russian border and is free to go anywhere.

Speaking on a visit to Finland Tuesday, he added that Russian security agencies "didn't work and aren't working" with Snowden. He gave no more details.

Commenting on a U.S. request to extradite him, Putin said that Russia doesn't have an extradition agreement with the U.S. and thus wouldn't meet the U.S. request.

He voiced hope that Snowden will depart as quickly as possible and that his stopover at Moscow's airport wouldn't affect bilateral ties.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/vlad...

(Finland has made a big mistake allowing Russians to buy land in Finland; so has the United States)
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931844 Jun 25, 2013
Obama's Climate Speech Today: Start The War On Coal, Raise Energy Prices & Lie About Global Warming

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#931845 Jun 25, 2013
Homer wrote:
Home prices see record jump in April: Case-Shiller
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)—Prices for U.S. homes leapt in April, posting record monthly growth and the fastest year-over-year growth in seven years, according to S&P/Case-Shiller data released Tuesday.
With gains in 19 of 20 cities, the 20-city composite index rose 2.5% in April, the largest monthly growth on record. The data go back to 2000. After seasonal adjustments, prices rose 1.7% in April.
After the Case-Shiller data and other economic reports, U.S. stocks opened higher.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/home-prices-...
It's unfortunate Obama cannot run again in 2016, clearly his policies are working.
And to think he has half the country against him and still things continue to improve.
Oh well, hopefully Hillary will continue down this path.
More than 506,000 Chicago-area homes—or one-third of the market—were underwater as of the fourth quarter, according to California research firm CoreLogic Inc. That's up 7.6 percent from the previous year.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/201305...
Stay on top of Chicago business with our free daily e-newsletters
WOW

Bronx, NY

#931846 Jun 25, 2013
Report from Iron Mountain

In 1961 Kennedy Administration officials McGeorge Bundy, Robert McNamara and Dean Rusk, all CFR and Bilderberger members, led a study group which looked into “the problem of peace”. The group met at Iron Mountain, a huge underground corporate nuclear shelter near Hudson, New York, where CFR think tank The Hudson Institute is located. The bunker contains redundant offices in case of nuclear attack for Exxon Mobil, Royal Dutch/Shell and JP Morgan Chase.[7] A copy of the group discussions, known as Report from Iron Mountain, was leaked by a participant and published in 1967 by Dial Press.

The report’s authors saw war as necessary and desirable, stating “War itself is the basic social system, within which other secondary modes of social organization conflict or conspire.(War is) the principal organizing force…the essential economic stabilizer of modern societies.” The group worried that through “ambiguous leadership” the “ruling administrative class” might lose its ability to “rationalize a desired war”, leading to the “actual disestablishment of military institutions”.

The report goes on to say,“…the war system cannot responsibly be allowed to disappear until…we know exactly what we plan to put in its place…The possibility of war provides the sense of external necessity without which no government can long remain in power…The basic authority of a modern state over its people resides in its war powers. War has served as the last great safeguard against the elimination of necessary classes.”

Historian Howard Zinn described this conundrumwhen he wrote,“American capitalism needed international rivalry – and periodic war – to create an artificial community of interest between rich and poor, supplanting the genuine community of interest among the poor that showed itself in sporadic movements”.

The Iron Mountain gang was not the first to discover the virtues of war. In 1909 the trustees of the Andrew Carnegie Foundation for International Peace met to discuss pre-WWI American life. Many of the participants were members of Skull & Bones. They concluded,“There are no known means more efficient than war, assuming the objective is altering the life of an entire people… How do we involve the United States in a war?”

The Report from Iron Mountaingoes on to propose a proper role for those of the lower classes, crediting military institutions with providing “antisocial elements with an acceptable role in the social structure. The younger and more dangerous of these hostile social groupings have been kept under control by the Selective Service System…A possible surrogate for the control of potential enemies of society is the reintroduction, in some form consistent with modern technology and political process, of slavery…The development of a sophisticated form of slavery may be an absolute prerequisite for social control in a world at peace.”

A possible surrogate for the control of potential enemies of society is the reintroduction, in some form consistent with modern technology and political process, of slavery…The development of a sophisticated form of slavery may be an absolute prerequisite for social control in a world at peace.”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#931847 Jun 25, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> The Air Force was once part of the Army which is in there.
No it isn't, at least not a standing army.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931848 Jun 25, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Awful. I'm sure rightwingers are thrilled, anything that can help suppress the vote. Scum.
On the other hand; Paul Ryan will probably resurrect his Personhood Bill allowing eggs to vote in utero.
These people are truly sick, sick, sick in the head beyond help.
So, now Putin says Snowden is in the transit are of the Moscow Airport? HA! What was that movie with Tom Hanks? Terminal?
Envision Snowden living there for 18 years, no passport....who is footing the bill for this fiasco anyway?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#931849 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Not the Air Force son.
But if you're going to play that game, please show me where the Coast Guard is.
It is part of the Navy but operates under the Dept. of Homeland Security. It can be transfered to the Navy by the president or Congress. In full disclosure I looked this up.

Location hidden

#931850 Jun 25, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a fetus viable when it has a beating heart and has developed its major organs by the end of the fourth week?
Or when it can suck its thumb by the twelfth week?
Is a 12-week gestation fetus sucking its thumb not human?
Can it survive on its own outside of the womb?

Until then its a parasite surviving at the pleasure of the host.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931851 Jun 25, 2013
Boehner says Obama's plan "amounts to a national energy tax" that will raise electricity bills for families "that can scarcely afford it."

Prevented this

#931852 Jun 25, 2013
Homer wrote:
Oops, I forgot the headline -
Stocks bounce higher on strong economic reports
the Fed thinks they can afford to withdraw policy based on their forecasts of stronger growth coming. And the problem is the Fed has “the worst forecasting record in economics.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#931853 Jun 25, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Is There an Antidote to the Republican Amnesia?
By Barney Frank
Memory eventually fails us all, but apparently the decline strikes one party far more than the other.
In recent weeks, my friends across the aisle have expended a lot of breath proclaiming that the Democrats caused the present financial crisis by failing to pass legislation to regulate financial services companies in the years 1995 through 2006.
There is only small one problem with this story -- throughout this entire period the Republicans were in complete charge of the House and for the most critical years they controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.
In the House of Representatives, the majority party has almost unlimited power over the minority party. The majority party owns the committee chairmanships; it controls what bills come to a vote; and it is under no obligation to consider the ideas of the beleaguered minority. When the Republicans were in the majority they ruled with an iron first; it is no accident that Tom DeLay was known as "The Hammer."
That is why I find it particularly flattering the Republicans now claim that in the years 1995 to 2006 I personally possessed supernatural powers which enabled me to force mighty Republican leaders to do my bidding. Choose your comic book hero -- I was all of them.
I wish I had the power to force the Republican leadership to do my bidding! If I had had that power, I would have used it to block the impeachment of Bill Clinton, to stop the war in Iraq, to prevent large tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and to stop government intervention into the private life of Terri Schiavo. Yet that power eluded me, and I was unable to stop those things.
According to the Republicans' misty memories of the period before 2007, I allegedly singlehandedly blocked their determined efforts to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and my supposed intransigence literally caused the worldwide financial crisis.
Fortunately, we have tools to aid memory -- pencil and paper, word processing, transcripts, newspapers, and the Congressional record. And as described in the most reputable published sources, in 2005 I in fact worked together with my Republican colleague Michael Oxley, then Chairman of the Financial Services Committee, to write a bill to increase regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. We passed the bill out of committee with an overwhelming majority -- every Democrat voted in favor of the legislation. However, on the House floor the Republican leadership added a poison pill amendment, which would have prevented non-profit institutions with religious affiliations from receiving funds. I voted against the legislation in protest, though I continued to work with Mr. Oxley to encourage the Senate to pass a good bill. But these efforts were defeated because President Bush blocked further consideration of the legislation. In the words of Mr. Oxley, no flaming liberal, the Bush administration gave his efforts 'the one-finger salute.'
The Republicans can claim some supposed successes despite my awesome power. In 1999 they passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which overturned a Depression-era law preventing commercial banks from acting like investment banks. In 2000, they passed another bill which loosened regulation of derivative markets. I voted against these bills -- but to no avail.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/200...
Barney(My Boie Lollipop)Frank was instumental in this debacle by moving his massive chin in congress, saying there was nothing wrong with the S&L's.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931854 Jun 25, 2013
Rubio: There is a fatigue in this country about big comprehensive pieces of legislation

Ya think?

A couple more of these and the US is sunk.

Location hidden

#931855 Jun 25, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
No, that's what Obama actually said.
I know what he said, you've just decided to understand it differently than me and others not nursing at the GOP teat, eyes glued to Fox.

Location hidden

#931856 Jun 25, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>If liberals were so concerned about 'her body' and her choice they never would have passed O'bamacare. If you find the necessity to live in a country where every person is able to make their own choices about health. The United States is not going to be one. Freedom of choice to decide what treatment you want to choose for any illness is not covered in O'bamacare-but all will be charged for the treatment of the masses. Certainly not the way a free society works.
You'll have to take that up with a liberal.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#931857 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
All 7 uniformed services under the United States Armed Forces are in the Dept of Defense. See the word Armed? It is in there for a reason.

Prevented this

#931858 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Son, Clinton didn't expand CRA. Or perhaps you can show me how he expanded it?
OMG this is funny.

“fairtax.org”

gauley bridge wv

#931859 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
The Air force was once part of the Army.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931860 Jun 25, 2013
I hear (literally) that fireworks sales in my state started today.

Prevented this

#931861 Jun 25, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
President Barack Obama reacted to the Supreme Court ruling in a statement:
I am deeply disappointed with the Supreme Court’s decision today. For nearly 50 years, the Voting Rights Act – enacted and repeatedly renewed by wide bipartisan majorities in Congress – has helped secure the right to vote for millions of Americans. Today’s decision invalidating one of its core provisions upsets decades of well-established practices that help make sure voting is fair, especially in places where voting discrimination has been historically prevalent.
As a nation, we’ve made a great deal of progress towards guaranteeing every American the right to vote. But, as the Supreme Court recognized, voting discrimination still exists. And while today’s decision is a setback, it doesn’t represent the end of our efforts to end voting discrimination. I am calling on Congress to pass legislation to ensure every American has equal access to the polls. My Administration will continue to do everything in its power to ensure a fair and equal voting process.
O'bama lies. He corrupted the last election. And yet? poor poor pitiful democrats spewing stupidity. If one democrat was not able to vote in the elections it would be front page news for years. That face would be plastered on coins, towels, signs, and anything else the democrats see fit.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931862 Jun 25, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text> the Fed thinks they can afford to withdraw policy based on their forecasts of stronger growth coming. And the problem is the Fed has “the worst forecasting record in economics.
Earlier this morning they were standing bond market was in trouble which wouldn't be surprising.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 27 min _Zoey_ 4,913
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 45 min Eric 70,994
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 1 hr Le Duped 7
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr market indicators 98,836
How long to do this? 1 hr Jako Hondasaki 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Rogue Scholar 05 181,753
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 68,880
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:13 pm PST