Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#931823 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a list of 20 years of change in GDP, can you pick out the years represented by the "catastrophic" recession that compelled George to put an end to those pesky surpluses and start a couple of wars?
No, because I don't see 9/11 anywhere on your little list.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#931824 Jun 25, 2013
Home prices see record jump in April: Case-Shiller

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch)—Prices for U.S. homes leapt in April, posting record monthly growth and the fastest year-over-year growth in seven years, according to S&P/Case-Shiller data released Tuesday.

With gains in 19 of 20 cities, the 20-city composite index rose 2.5% in April, the largest monthly growth on record. The data go back to 2000. After seasonal adjustments, prices rose 1.7% in April.

After the Case-Shiller data and other economic reports, U.S. stocks opened higher.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/home-prices-...

It's unfortunate Obama cannot run again in 2016, clearly his policies are working.

And to think he has half the country against him and still things continue to improve.

Oh well, hopefully Hillary will continue down this path.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931825 Jun 25, 2013
The Supreme Court has effectively gutted one of the nation's most important and effective civil rights laws,” Jon Greenbaum, chief counsel for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in a statement.“Minority voters in places with a record of discrimination are now at greater risk of being disenfranchised than they have been in decades. Today's decision is a blow to democracy. Jurisdictions will be able to enact policies which prevent minorities from voting, and the only recourse these citizens will have will be expensive and time-consuming litigation.”

“Today’s U.S. Supreme Court decision erases fundamental protections against racial discrimination in voting that have been effective for more than 40 years,” Elisabeth MacNamara, president of the League of Women Voters of the United States, said in a statement.“Congress must act quickly to restore the Voting Rights Act.”

“Today will be remembered as a step backwards in the march towards equal rights,” said Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.“We must ensure that this day is just a page in our nation’s history, rather than the return to a dark chapter."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/voti...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931826 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course that's how you see it, you're a Republican.
You are the guy into fact check sites.

" when given repeated opportunities to forthrightly declare this was an “act of terrorism,” the president ducked the question.

For instance, on Sept. 12, immediately after the Rose Garden statement the day after the attack, Obama sat down with Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes and acknowledged he purposely avoided the using the word “terrorism:”

KROFT:“Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word ‘terrorism’ in connection with the Libya attack.”

OBAMA:“Right.”

KROFT:“Do you believe that this was a terrorist attack?”

OBAMA:“Well, it’s too early to know exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-chec...
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931827 Jun 25, 2013
President Barack Obama reacted to the Supreme Court ruling in a statement:

I am deeply disappointed with the Supreme Court’s decision today. For nearly 50 years, the Voting Rights Act – enacted and repeatedly renewed by wide bipartisan majorities in Congress – has helped secure the right to vote for millions of Americans. Today’s decision invalidating one of its core provisions upsets decades of well-established practices that help make sure voting is fair, especially in places where voting discrimination has been historically prevalent.
As a nation, we’ve made a great deal of progress towards guaranteeing every American the right to vote. But, as the Supreme Court recognized, voting discrimination still exists. And while today’s decision is a setback, it doesn’t represent the end of our efforts to end voting discrimination. I am calling on Congress to pass legislation to ensure every American has equal access to the polls. My Administration will continue to do everything in its power to ensure a fair and equal voting process.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#931828 Jun 25, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
It appears to me Progressives are in major DENIAL mode that several factors effected the Housing Bubble including Clinton's expansion of CRA.
The BUSH ONLY mantra was childish from the start.
lol! Son, Clinton didn't expand CRA. Or perhaps you can show me how he expanded it?

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#931829 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Psst! CRA was passed under Carter son.
If you had any brains, you'd know that.
You really are out of your league son. And all it does it expose your partisan politics and how you like to twist facts around.
Although minor amendments were made directly to the Community Reinvestment Act concerning the consideration of minority and female owned institutions & partnerships during evaluations first established in 1991, other portions of the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 indirectly affected the CRA practices at the time in requiring Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the two government sponsored enterprises that purchase and securitize mortgages, to devote a percentage of their lending to support affordable housing.
And Fannie and Freddie crash. And now the government completely owns them right?

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#931830 Jun 25, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> Happens every day. The country would have been no worse off than it is now. In fact the banks are now even bigger and fewer and in far more danger of failing.
Oh and by the way the banks took the media heat but the real problem was AIG which held the insurance on all those bank loans and many other type of insurance.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931831 Jun 25, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a fetus viable when it has a beating heart and has developed its major organs by the end of the fourth week?
Or when it can suck its thumb by the twelfth week?
Is a 12-week gestation fetus sucking its thumb not human?
Can it live outside the womb at 12 weeks?
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#931832 Jun 25, 2013
NEW YORK (AP)— Stocks are rising in midday trading on Wall Street after several encouraging economic reports brought buyers back to the market.

Homebuilder stocks rose sharply after home prices jumped in April and Lennar reported better earnings than the market was expecting.

Durable goods orders rose and consumer confidence soared.

The Dow Jones industrial average was up 92 points, or 0.6 percent, to 14,752 at midday Eastern Dayligh Time. The Dow slumped 139 points the day before.

The Standard & Poor's 500 was up 11 points, or 0.7 percent, at 1,584. Technology and bank stocks rose the most.

The Nasdaq composite was up 19 points, or 0.6 percent, at 3,340.

The yield on the 10-year Treasury note rose to 2.59 percent from 2.54 percent late Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/stocks-bounce-higher-st...

Flack! Galt! WTF! You azzholes told me to sell!

Homer furious!

Prevented this

#931833 Jun 25, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
The Supreme Court has effectively gutted one of the nation's most important and effective civil rights laws,” Jon Greenbaum, chief counsel for the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said in a statement.“Minority voters in places with a record of discrimination are now at greater risk of being disenfranchised than they have been in decades. Today's decision is a blow to democracy. Jurisdictions will be able to enact policies which prevent minorities from voting, and the only recourse these citizens will have will be expensive and time-consuming litigation.”
“Today’s U.S. Supreme Court decision erases fundamental protections against racial discrimination in voting that have been effective for more than 40 years,” Elisabeth MacNamara, president of the League of Women Voters of the United States, said in a statement.“Congress must act quickly to restore the Voting Rights Act.”
“Today will be remembered as a step backwards in the march towards equal rights,” said Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund.“We must ensure that this day is just a page in our nation’s history, rather than the return to a dark chapter."
Blah blah blah. Women have more rights than men do today. It is about time civil rights propaganda ended. Everyone stand on your own two feet.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#931834 Jun 25, 2013
Oops, I forgot the headline -

Stocks bounce higher on strong economic reports
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#931835 Jun 25, 2013
Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course that's how you see it, you're a Republican.
No, that's what Obama actually said.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931836 Jun 25, 2013
Buroc Millhouse Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
I help put people like you in jail, son. I've met many poor souls just like you.
This is the part where Gunner aka Jimmy aka whatever stupid name he is now pretends we don't know who he is.
Have another donut fatty. Face it, you're a former fatty cop who got a ged and a civil service job and will suck off the state of CT for life and trash the state that gave a loser like you a job.
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#931837 Jun 25, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
Awful. I'm sure rightwingers are thrilled, anything that can help suppress the vote. Scum.

Prevented this

#931838 Jun 25, 2013
Homer wrote:
What's up gang? What's the latest rightwing fantasy scare? Obama coming for your piggy banks?
You have a piggy bank? where do you live? I know some O'bamasons that are looking for one.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#931839 Jun 25, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Is There an Antidote to the Republican Amnesia?
By Barney Frank
Memory eventually fails us all, but apparently the decline strikes one party far more than the other.
In recent weeks, my friends across the aisle have expended a lot of breath proclaiming that the Democrats caused the present financial crisis by failing to pass legislation to regulate financial services companies in the years 1995 through 2006.
There is only small one problem with this story -- throughout this entire period the Republicans were in complete charge of the House and for the most critical years they controlled the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.
In the House of Representatives, the majority party has almost unlimited power over the minority party. The majority party owns the committee chairmanships; it controls what bills come to a vote; and it is under no obligation to consider the ideas of the beleaguered minority. When the Republicans were in the majority they ruled with an iron first; it is no accident that Tom DeLay was known as "The Hammer."
That is why I find it particularly flattering the Republicans now claim that in the years 1995 to 2006 I personally possessed supernatural powers which enabled me to force mighty Republican leaders to do my bidding. Choose your comic book hero -- I was all of them.
I wish I had the power to force the Republican leadership to do my bidding! If I had had that power, I would have used it to block the impeachment of Bill Clinton, to stop the war in Iraq, to prevent large tax cuts for the extremely wealthy, and to stop government intervention into the private life of Terri Schiavo. Yet that power eluded me, and I was unable to stop those things.
According to the Republicans' misty memories of the period before 2007, I allegedly singlehandedly blocked their determined efforts to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and my supposed intransigence literally caused the worldwide financial crisis.
Fortunately, we have tools to aid memory -- pencil and paper, word processing, transcripts, newspapers, and the Congressional record. And as described in the most reputable published sources, in 2005 I in fact worked together with my Republican colleague Michael Oxley, then Chairman of the Financial Services Committee, to write a bill to increase regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. We passed the bill out of committee with an overwhelming majority -- every Democrat voted in favor of the legislation. However, on the House floor the Republican leadership added a poison pill amendment, which would have prevented non-profit institutions with religious affiliations from receiving funds. I voted against the legislation in protest, though I continued to work with Mr. Oxley to encourage the Senate to pass a good bill. But these efforts were defeated because President Bush blocked further consideration of the legislation. In the words of Mr. Oxley, no flaming liberal, the Bush administration gave his efforts 'the one-finger salute.'
The Republicans can claim some supposed successes despite my awesome power. In 1999 they passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which overturned a Depression-era law preventing commercial banks from acting like investment banks. In 2000, they passed another bill which loosened regulation of derivative markets. I voted against these bills -- but to no avail.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/200...
Funny
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931840 Jun 25, 2013
Fewer jobs, far fewer full-time jobs, fewer jobs for young people, the EPA waging war on oil, gas, and coal. Obama's America.
lily boca raton fl

Boca Raton, FL

#931841 Jun 25, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>If liberals were so concerned about 'her body' and her choice they never would have passed O'bamacare. If you find the necessity to live in a country where every person is able to make their own choices about health. The United States is not going to be one. Freedom of choice to decide what treatment you want to choose for any illness is not covered in O'bamacare-but all will be charged for the treatment of the masses. Certainly not the way a free society works.
If men were the bearer of children; then this would never be an issue.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#931842 Jun 25, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! Son, Clinton didn't expand CRA. Or perhaps you can show me how he expanded it?
Did you read the article you linked to? It has several pages

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min wojar is a homo 182,315
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 min Frijoles 71,305
Christmas a time for reflection on 47 years in ... 55 min reality is a crutch 1
Chicagoa s 2014 murder total on track for anoth... 1 hr reality is a crutch 7
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 4 hr L Morales 11
Southern Illinois Supports Police 4 hr Does not matter 1
Holiday Greetings 6 hr Daddy Warbucks 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago