Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
855,801 - 855,820 of 1,084,463 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, fool, it is about the economy.
If its "about the economy" why has the House been wasting time on an abortion bill that has zero chance in the Senate or for POTUS signature?

I know why. They're using my tax dollars to fund their 2014 campaigns.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Might as well spend your morning trying to educate a zebra.
Think about it, depending on the weather where you are it could be a nice way to spend a day, teaching history to a zebra.
From the same article Dupont sited
Bill Clinton

"Among his biggest strokes of free-wheeling capitalism was the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, a cornerstone of Depression-era regulation. He also signed the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which exempted credit-default swaps from regulation. In 1995 Clinton loosened housing rules by rewriting the Community Reinvestment Act, which put added pressure on banks to lend in low-income neighborhoods. It is the subject of heated political and scholarly debate whether any of these moves are to blame for our troubles, but they certainly played a role in creating a permissive lending environment.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/ar... #ixzz2XEURoWvl
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! You do realize your article counters your claim regarding the housing market right? And you do know they blame bushie boy, right?
Nah, I doubt it. I doubt you read beyond what you were looking for.
Besides, you haven't been that smart on such matters.
Actually, no, it didn't. If you had read the entire article, you would have read the cause for the housing market collapse:

"...From homebuyers who put nothing down for a loan, to a White House that bragged about record home ownership, to the Democrats who promoted and protected Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."

Democrats bragged about home ownership after forcing banks to give loans to "unqualified" buyers in an overpriced housing market by "promoting and protecting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac".

Bush bragged about home ownership by helping "qualified" buyers with a down payment.

I clearly pointed out Bush made mistakes too.

But the Federal Reserve is also to blame by "pushing the monetary accelerator to the floor...even as the tax cuts were passing and the economy took off, Greenspan cut the fed funds rate to 1% and kept it there for a year."

Wall Street was more than happy to be a part of it.

But you conveniently overlooked the part about "Democrats promoting and protecting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac". And you conveniently overlooked the part about the "economy taking off after the Bush tax cuts".

So, basically, you are wrong.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
But see, that's the thing. Between the two of us, I'm the more reasonable.
For example, you seem to have no problem with Obama and Hillary lying about that video to protect their party's chance of winning in 2012.
That's not very reasonable. Unless you have another explanation why they would lie about something like that.
Possibly national security was involved :-)
4000 soldiers did not die as a result of this action.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like Abortion supporters called themselves Pro-Choice rather than Pro-abortion.
pro-choice respects the wishes of the mother.

anti-choice respects no one. forcing someone to do what you think is best for that person, on the back of a book that HAS NOT been designated as the national guide to proper behavior, smacks of social engineering.

so in that respect, it's been fairly amusing watching conservatives complain about how government is ruling our life's.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Right-wing media appear stunned as Justice Anthony Kennedy refused to join his more radical conservative colleagues on the Supreme Court and strike down affirmative action in higher education, instead reaffirming modern civil rights law that holds race-conscious admissions policies remain necessary for equal opportunity in today's society.

Kennedy's 7-1 majority opinion in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin is essentially the reiteration of his controlling analysis in Parents Involved v. Seattle School District No. 1 (2007), which affirmed the constitutionality and continued necessity of race-conscious programs that seek to prevent the resegregation of public education.

In lockstep with conservative activists who are using the closely split Supreme Court as an opportunity to overturn decades of civil rights law, right-wing media have been repeatedly clamoring for the opposite of what just occurred in Fisher. So far, right-wing media coverage has been muted or is incorrectly pretending Kennedy's opinion breaks significant new ground.

Fox News host Megyn Kelly on America Live - in addition to dredging up the myth that the plaintiff in question was rejected in the admissions process because of her race - was shocked at Fisher's utterly unsurprising reminder that government's use of race typically requires strict scrutiny from the courts. From University of California Irvine School of Law Dean Erwin Chemerinsky's leading treatise, Constitutional Law, Principles and Policies, most recently updated in 2006:
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
Galt would prefer that GE make charitable contributions to the federal government just as Galt does.
I think that's fair.
So the new euphemism for paying taxes is charitable contribution.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

frontporchreactionary wrote:
Five years in, President Obama is weighing in on handling the climate crisis facing our age. Tune in ; don't tune out tomorrow Tuesday, June ,24,2013 1:35PM. President Obama will announce his plan to lead the global effort to fight climate change: http://OFA.BO/GtEFGP
Watch the stock market dive like a submarine with a hole in it.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Media Matters, part of the Soros echo chamber, lives in lala land.
Note lack of anything to back it up while I saw one group post all headlines from media. Rather interesting but not that different from each other.
faux may be lala land as they misinformed the Romney campaign during the 2012 election
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no, it didn't. If you had read the entire article, you would have read the cause for the housing market collapse:
"...From homebuyers who put nothing down for a loan, to a White House that bragged about record home ownership, to the Democrats who promoted and protected Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac."
Democrats bragged about home ownership after forcing banks to give loans to "unqualified" buyers in an overpriced housing market by "promoting and protecting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac".
Bush bragged about home ownership by helping "qualified" buyers with a down payment.
I clearly pointed out Bush made mistakes too.
But the Federal Reserve is also to blame by "pushing the monetary accelerator to the floor...even as the tax cuts were passing and the economy took off, Greenspan cut the fed funds rate to 1% and kept it there for a year."
Wall Street was more than happy to be a part of it.
But you conveniently overlooked the part about "Democrats promoting and protecting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac". And you conveniently overlooked the part about the "economy taking off after the Bush tax cuts".
So, basically, you are wrong.
the same old failed meme.

because you see....when your FOX version of the events of the failed Bush years is nowhere to be found in a college textbook, you're just pissing in the wind.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
No idea what video you're talking about but thanks for the belly-laugh. Of course my co-workers are now looking at me funny.
The video that Obama and Hillary claimed created the anti-Muslim sentiments leading to the attack and the murder of the ambassador. The video they talked about for weeks afterwards even though they knew it was a terrorist attack the night it happened.

But thanks for making my point. A reasonable person would have known about the video and a cover up at the highest levels.

“Gloria Ad Caput Venire”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering if she really was being so.
LNC Llin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

positronium wrote:
<quoted text>I was wondering if she really was being so.
Takes a few years for the truth to come out.
At the moment all is most likely politics on both sides.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

LNC Llin wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're equating the toppling of Saddam's regime, a clear and present threat post 9/11 which 111 Democrats voted to support, and the President and the Secretary of State covering up a terrorist attack on 9/11 to win an election?

Wow.

National security could not have possibly been a reason to lie to us and the rest of the world about a terrorist attack that left four Americans dead.

Obama claiming to have al Qaeda on the run after taking all the credit in bin Laden's death just weeks before an election is a very good reason, however.

Refusing to believe this would make you unreasonable too.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a good reason they were being examined. Although we would like to think these citizens groups are as pure as newly fallen snow, the fact is, some Tea Party non-profits were clearly breaking the law.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/did-th...
When CVFC, a conservative veterans’ group in California, applied for tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service, its biggest expenditure that year was several thousand dollars in radio ads backing a Republican candidate for Congress.
The Wetumpka Tea Party, from Alabama, sponsored training for a get-out-the-vote initiative dedicated to the “defeat of President Barack Obama” while the I.R.S. was weighing its application.
And the head of the Ohio Liberty Coalition, whose application languished with the I.R.S. for more than two years, sent out e-mails to members about Mitt Romney campaign events and organized members to distribute Mr. Romney’s presidential campaign literature.
Representatives of these organizations have cried foul in recent weeks about their treatment by the I.R.S., saying they were among dozens of conservative groups unfairly targeted by the agency, harassed with inappropriate questionnaires and put off for months or years as the agency delayed decisions on their applications.
But a close examination of these groups and others reveals an array of election activities that tax experts and former I.R.S. officials said would provide a legitimate basis for flagging them for closer review.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/us/politics...
more stuff you won't hear on FOX.
FNS paranoia in full effect already

Why only after a "close examination" does the NYT than think this is justify? This implies go ahead and 4822 conservative groups than justifying the action after the fact.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
because you see....when your FOX version of the events of the failed Bush years is nowhere to be found in a college textbook, you're just pissing in the wind.
You are such an idiot! She is quoting from the same Time article Dupont used.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Death of Tenzing wrote:
<quoted text>
If its "about the economy" why has the House been wasting time on an abortion bill that has zero chance in the Senate or for POTUS signature?
I know why. They're using my tax dollars to fund their 2014 campaigns.
Yep, you are a Progressive. Off topic and spinning.

I will not stay in a country with a failing economy with little hope of improvement due to extremely high unemployment secondary to allowing an influx of immigrants it cannot support.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

What a difference four years makes. In August of 2004, when he was running for re-election, George Bush turned what had been a nebulous idea encompassing various privatisation and investment ideas into a formal objective, releasing a "fact sheet" detailing his policies that would promote this capitalist utopia known as the "ownership society".

More access and choices in healthcare! More home ownership! More tax relief! It was all about getting the American taxpayers' tax dollars back into their pockets where they belonged so they could buy stuff - because, as Bush explained: "If you own something, you have a vital stake in the future of our country. The more ownership there is in America, the more vitality there is in America, and the more people have a vital stake in the future of this country."

Four years later, millions of Americans are now without healthcare, home foreclosures are skyrocketing, bankruptcy is epidemic and the headlines blare "Nightmare on Wall Street" as the country faces the worst economic crisis since the 1930s. The people who were supposed to own a vital stake in America's future by now are lucky if they still own the shirts on their backs.

The ownership society – built on the shoddy foundation of corporate deregulation, unchecked lending, massive deficits and tax cuts during a time of war – has failed.

And its failure is owned by precisely no one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifam...

conservatives will never own their vote for Bush. if they did, then they'd have to admit that the new guy is better than the old. so we have the carol's of the world trying to tell tall tales so that the failure they voted for, and that they own, was never responsible for his own actions. it was Clinton. it was Congress in 2007. it was, it was, it was....anyone and everyone but the guy they wanted in the WH who screwed the pooch so bad that we now have the perfect POTUS: the guy that right wingers love to hate.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
A study by the National Bureau of Economic Research found that Democrats revamping the CRA led to riskier lending by banks.

"There is a clear pattern of increased defaults for loans made by these banks in quarters around the (CRA) exam. Moreover, the effects are larger for loans made within CRA tracts" or predominantly low-income and minority areas.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w18609

This isn't a big secret.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like Abortion supporters called themselves Pro-Choice rather than Pro-abortion.
Right, that too is more accurate although "abortion supporters" is inaccurate.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 min JOEL COOL DUDE 68,454
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 44 min Brian_G 45,909
Obama, Emanuel Need to Put Chicago's Kids First 55 min sheepleloveroyalty 5
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 68,075
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr LRS 175,239
Why We will Go to War with Russia 3 hr SnuffAGlobalist 3
Global Elite Agitating for War Against Russia 3 hr SnuffAGlobalist 2
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 14 hr RACE 97,585
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••