Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
855,741 - 855,760 of 1,083,775 Comments Last updated 4 min ago

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, it's still far superior to yours.
That's ok son. I don't mind.
Correction: you don't *HAVE* a mind.
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Oxon Hill, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Politics: Congress
Illegal immigrants who commit crimes face lesser punishment than U.S. citizens
BY: GABRIELLA MORRONGIELLO JUNE 24, 2013

According to Sen. John McCain, a member of the Senate’s Gang of Eight, criminals will not be legalized under the proposed bipartisan immigration bill.

“Anyone who has committed crimes in this country is going to be deported,” the Arizona Republican declared on the Senate floor last week.

However, as Washington Examiner columnist Byron York recently reported,“the bottom line is an immigrant could have more than three misdemeanor convictions in his background check and still qualify for legalization.”

Furthermore, the following chart published June 21 by the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a nonprofit organization that opposes liberalization of immigration law, compares the consequences for an array of crimes and discovered that while illegal immigrants might be exonerated and legalized, U.S. citizens and legal immigrants face years of incarceration or temporary expulsion from the country.

The Gang of Eight’s bill would allow illegal immigrants who entered the country before Dec. 31, 2011, and committed up to three misdemeanor offenses including but not limited to assault, battery, identity or document fraud, tax evasion, to remain eligible for Registered Provisional Status. Meanwhile, U.S. citizens and persons who entered the country legally could incur up to $100,000 in fines,15 years of imprisonment, or be prohibited to reenter the country for up to 10 years.

“What it [the Gang of Eight bill] indicates is this is more than just an amnesty, it’s an amnesty for all kinds of violations,” said FAIR’s media director, Ira Mehlman.“We say nobody is above the law, but apparently illegal immigrants are.”http://washingtonexaminer .com/illegal-immigrants-who-co mmit-crimes-face-lesser-punish ment-than-u.s.-citizens/articl e/2532306

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Lily Boca Raton Fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Omg you're a total fck'n Moran! Go to Russia, Putin wants you.
Do you know that in Canada, abortion and gay marriage are legal and the also have universal single payer healthcare? You'd never fit in there you racist sicko
With a face like raw meat, you could use it for shark bait.

Do it.
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Obama Justice Department Silent On NY Cops Violating Fourth Amendment

June 13, 2013

On Wednesday, Attorney General Eric Holder filed a Justice Department brief in a class-action lawsuit challenging the New York Police Department’s policy of violating the Fourth Amendment with its controversial stop-and-frisk program.

Instead of taking a stand on the illegality of the procedure, Holder’s Justice Department said a monitor should be put in place to oversee changes to the police department’s practices following remarks made by Judge Scheindlin of Federal District Court in Manhattan in May questioning the clearly unconstitutional police tactic. Scheindlin criticized the “high error rate” of the procedure.“You reasonably suspect something and you’re wrong 90 percent of the time,” she said.

The lawsuit was filed by the Center for Constitutional Rights and other civil rights lawyers. Floyd v. City of New York argues that police target black and Hispanic New Yorkers without probable cause and the procedure amounts to racial profiling.

In 1968 the Supreme Court undercut the Fourth Amendment by ruling in Terry v. Ohio that cops only require “reasonable suspicion” and not “probable cause” to search a person. In the case of New York police, this “reasonable suspicion” standard fails 88 percent of the time.

The Justice Department brief reveals an effort by the federal government to trample states’ rights by advocating the use of injunctive relief that “may include the appointment of an independent monitor” designated by the feds instead of arguing that the stop-and-frisk procedure is unconstitutional.
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Snowden Becomes Eighth Person to Be Charged with Violating the Espionage Act Under Obama
The Alex Jones Channel Alex Jones Show podcast Prison Planet TV Infowars.com Twitter Alex Jones' Facebook Infowars store
Kevin Gosztola
firedoglake.com
June 23, 2013
(update below)
A criminal complaint indicates former NSA contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden has been charged with three felonies. Two of the felonies are charges under the Espionage Act.
The complaint, filed on June 14, shows he was charged with “unauthorized communication of national defense information”—an Espionage Act violation—and “willful communication of classified communications intelligence information to an unauthorized person,” a violation of United States Code 798 prohibiting the disclosure of classified information and an offense under the Espionage Act.
Each charge carries a ten-year maximum sentence if convicted.
The Washington Post further reports that the complaint was filed in the Eastern District of Virginia. Not only is this jurisdiction where Snowden’s former employer, Booz Allen Hamilton, happens to be headquartered, but it is also where key prosecutions for espionage have been filed under President Barack Obama.
Snowden is the eighth person to be charged under the Espionage Act under Obama. This is more than all previous presidential administrations combined.
NSA whistleblower Thomas Drake was charged under the law in April 2010 for retaining classified information on secret surveillance programs. The government claimed it was for the purpose of disclosure.
For disclosing classified information on FBI wiretaps to a blogger, FBI translator named Shamai Leibowitz was charged under the Espionage Act.
Pfc. Bradley Manning was charged with multiple violations of the Espionage Act in July 2010 after disclosing US government information to WikiLeaks.
Stephen Kim, a former State Department contractor, was charged in August 2010 for revealing classified information on North Korea to Fox News reporter James Rosen.(Rosen was labeled an “aider, abettor and co-conspirator” in the leak.)
In December 2010, a former CIA officer, Jeffrey Sterling, was charged under the Espionage Act after he communicated with New York Times reporter James Risen about Iran’s nuclear program in the 1990s.(The Obama Justice Department has fought in the courts to have a judge require Risen to testify against Sterling.)
John Kiriakou, a former CIA officer, was charged under the Espionage Act in January 2012 after he shared information related to a rendition operation with reporter Matthew Cole.
A much lesser-known individual, James Hitselberger, a former Navy linguist, was charged with violating the Espionage Act for providing classified documents to the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.
The Espionage Act charges were dropped in the cases of Drake, Kiriakou and Leibowitz. Manning has pled guilty to lesser offenses but not the espionage charges. Hitselberger, Kim and Sterling’s cases are all still pending.[Kiriakou's serving a 30-month sentence in a prison in Loretto, Pennsylvania, after pleading guilty to violation of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act.]
Kiriakou’s case went through the Eastern District of Virginia. Sterling’s case is pending in the same jurisdiction.
“The Eastern District of Virginia is the most conservative court in the country,” according to Jesselyn Radack, a director of the Government Accountability Project’s national security and human rights division who has defended national security whistleblowers.“My experience with espionage cases there is that, even if you get assigned a progressive judge, the deck is still stacked against you.”
This jurisdiction is also where a grand jury investigation into WikiLeaks has been empaneled. The investigation has been broad and, as Sam Knight reported for The Nation, it has used “subpoena powers rarely wielded against bloggers and journalists.”
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

The Espionage Act is a law from 1917 that was intended to criminalize individuals who engaged in spying, not leakers or whistleblowers. It was not initially used to prosecute government employees who passed on information to a reporter or a media organization. But, under Obama, the Justice Department has exercised wide discretion and interpreted the law as one that can be used to criminalize government employees who blow the whistle on corruption or share information on operations, policies or programs with the press. They have used to prosecute them as if they are “insiders,”“informers,” or “spies.”

President Barack Obama came into office committed to “protecting” whistleblowers.

Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

However, when Congress passed the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, the White House coordinated with Congress so that employees at national security or intelligence agencies would not be covered. That means, when Obama had the opportunity to make it easier for employees to go through proper channels when exposing corruption or wrongdoing, he did the exact opposite.

Radack and her colleague at GAP, Kathleen McClellan, have written:

These “leak” prosecutions send a chilling message to public servants, as they are contrary to President Barack Obama’s pledge of openness and transparency. The vast majority of American citizens do not take issue with the proposition that some things should be kept secret, such as sources and methods, nuclear designs, troop movements, and undercover identities. However, the campaign to flush out media sources smacks of retaliation and intimidation. The Obama administration is right to protect information that might legitimately undermine national security or put Americans at risk. However, it does not protect national security interests when it brings cases against whistleblowers who divulge information that communicates important information to the public; sparks meaningful dialogue; or exposes fraud, waste, abuse, illegality, or potential dangers to public health and safety. A free and open democratic government welcomes debate. Stifling information violates that democratic principle.

The Justice Department does not have to identify or prove that any harm to national security has occurred. They only have to prove that a person had ”reason to believe” information could be used to the injury of the United States.”
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

The New Yorker‘s Jane Mayer highlighted, when Drake was still charged with violating the Espionage Act:

…Because reporters often retain unauthorized defense documents, Drake’s conviction would establish a legal precedent making it possible to prosecute journalists as spies.‘It poses a grave threat to the mechanism by which we learn most of what the government does,’[Mort] Halperin [of the Open Society Institute] says…

That shows what these “leak” prosecutions can do to freedom of the press.

Now, the “theft of government property” charge falls under United States Code 641 or a code against the “embezzlement of government property.” This is also a code that Manning is accused of violating multiple times.

A d v e r t i s e m e n t

The defense in Manning’s case has argued that the prosecutors must prove that the information disclosed without authorization was a “thing of value” and Manning intended to deprive the government of the use or benefit of this “property” in order for him to be convicted of this offense.

Snowden is still in Hong Kong. He has reportedly considered seeking asylum and/or citizenship in Iceland. There have been reports about a businessman connected to WikiLeaks being willing to fly Snowden on a private jet to Iceland. However, Icelandic parliamentarian Birgitta Jonsdottir has urged Snowden not to board any private jet to Iceland.

“I have worked with asylum seekers in Iceland. I would not recommend that path for #Snowden. Citizenship offers the only real protection,” she tweeted. She added that Iceland had a “terrible track record when it comes to turning back asylum seekers.” And,“There is much general support for Snowden among the general public in Iceland, thus it is still an option to seek citizenship.” But she hoped he would not take any risks with jets.

Going forward, the US has asked the Hong Kong detain Snowden but a very real problem the United States government may have is that Snowden has been charged with espionage.

The extradition treaty the United States has with Hong Kong happens to have an exception for political offenses. Espionage is considered a political offense. So, Hong Kong is more likely to push back on an extradition request because the charges are not limited to the charges of theft and conversion of government property.

Update

The three individuals charged under the Espionage Act prior to the eight under Obama were Daniel Ellsberg, the Pentagon Papers whistleblower charged under President Richard Nixon, Samuel T. Morison, a Navy civilian analyst who was charged under President Ronald Reagan and Lawrence Franklin, a Pentagon analyst charged under President George W. Bush.

Morison leaked photographs of Soviet ships to alert America to what he perceived as a new threat. Franklin leaked information on Iran to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.

These are not the only people charged under the Espionage Act under previous presidents. These are just the ones charged with leaking information.
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Snowden Took An Oath, But So Did Obama
@@@@@@@@@@
Donna Anderson
Infowars.com
June 13, 2013
While it’s true that, at some point during his colorful past, Edward Snowden took an oath of secrecy, the powers that be seem to be forgetting that Obama took an oath, too. Let’s just compare the two and see who’s really in violation, shall we?Snowden’s Special Project Security Agreement
I acknowledge that I have been indoctrinated in the Project identified below and thus have received highly classified information relating to United States intelligence collection activities. I am aware that the unauthorized disclosure or negligent handling of such information could seriously affect the national defense and that the transmission or revelation of such information to unauthorized persons could subject me to prosecution under the Espionage Laws (Title 18, USCA, Sections 793 and 794).
I have been informed that approval for access to Project information may only be granted by Project Headquarters. I have also been informed that extraordinary security measures and controls have been established to protect Project information and that access to such information is restricted to those who “must know” based upon their present position or functional use. I agree to advise appropriate authorities of any change in my position or function and will execute a Termination Secrecy Agreement upon notification that such is required.
I realize that a briefing of this scope and depth, which identifies sponsorship, reveals codewords, and admits to the ultimate intelligence application of the Project, is given only to those individuals who have been specifically approved for the above identified Project at the highest level and that this type information may not be divulged to individuals with lesser levels of access.
I am aware that travel to certain hazardous or denied areas of the world such as the USSR, Communist China, and Sino-Soviet satellite areas may constitute an unacceptable security risk and I agree, until formally relieved of this requirement, to request authorization from Project Headquarters prior to undertaking such travel.
Having reviewed the above security requirements, I pledge that I will never publish or reveal, by any means, classified project information to unauthorized persons. Along with this pledge I recognize and accept the fact that I have a personal and individual responsibility for the protection of all such information in my possession no matter where generated nor how acquired and agree to abide by the security requirements and regulations established for the Project.
I understand that no change in my employment status or relationship with the United States Government will relieve me of my obligation under this Agreement.
I have been advised of the procedures to follow in order to determine the identity of individuals who have been approved for access to this Project, the current estimate of hazard involved in travel to a foreign area or to resolve any other question which may arise under this Agreement.
Now, let’s take a look at President Obama’s Oath of Office:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
DUMB ASS VOTERS

Disputanta, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
While some may say that Snowden committed an act of treason by revealing what might be considered “Top Secret Information,” if you take a little closer look you’ll see that it’s really Obama who’s committed treason.
Snowden’s oath states: I pledge that I will never publish or reveal, by any means, classified project information to unauthorized persons.
Obama’s oath states: I will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
And the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States guards our right to be secure in our “persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures.” In other words, according to Louis Brandeis, an Associate Justice on the US Supreme Court from 1916 to 1939, we have the right to be “left alone.”
In reality, Edward Snowden is simply defending our Constitutional rights – and he’s doing a much better job at it than Obama ever has.
I MUST SAY I FEAR OBAMA MORE THAN I DO THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure that you would want a magic KKK boy in office or a Redgro.
You can't be sure about anything with those spikes in your head.

Get a haircut, shave and prune those damned thorn bushes first.

Then we can talk.

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Poor little ignoramus boy, you thought that food stamps was your job. You know, wake up once a month and walk to the grocery store. That's your job and now you are afraid that you might not be able to retire with it.
91% of the people on social security are white, so how does that work for you?
And 98% of Americans have their front teeth. What happened to you?
Ménage à Trois with Rosie The Riveter and Iron Man?

BTW, is it true that Christ was a Cross Dresser?

Lapeer, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

JesusMyLord wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, and Canada is ole so prosperous and powerful, which is why we defend both their southern and northern borders. Sounds like you are the racist.
Your IQ could really use some platform shoes right about now, Dood.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

DUMB ASS VOTERS wrote:
While some may say that Snowden committed an act of treason by revealing what might be considered “Top Secret Information,” if you take a little closer look you’ll see that it’s really Obama who’s committed treason.
Snowden’s oath states: I pledge that I will never publish or reveal, by any means, classified project information to unauthorized persons.
Obama’s oath states: I will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
And the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States guards our right to be secure in our “persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures.” In other words, according to Louis Brandeis, an Associate Justice on the US Supreme Court from 1916 to 1939, we have the right to be “left alone.”
In reality, Edward Snowden is simply defending our Constitutional rights – and he’s doing a much better job at it than Obama ever has.
I MUST SAY I FEAR OBAMA MORE THAN I DO THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!
Assange & Manning did the same thing, how about singing their praises as well. After all the only ppl who fear intrusion into their lives are those with something to hide. Maybe you are a lil like Hoover and like cross dressing. Too bad, if a spy sat or drone snaps a pic when you think no one is looking.
Forum

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

hutnsa wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TvKfZc_anZ8
Amazing and cool but hopeful
God is taking us.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The CBO is a plug-and-chug operation, using assumptions dictated by Congress. Their output is no better or worse than the assumptions used.
... whenever the news is bad but you'll cite them when it suits you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well, it might be a bit late for that. I just don't understand why the rightwingers seem so surprised about spying; it's always been done, by every country. I just don't the general public should be privy to all intelligence operations; there's no need for it.
I also don't get why Bush & Co. brought prisoners to Gitmo rather then causing them to just disappear. Do we trade those 5 Afghanis for the American they're holding?
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again, I agree completely with them on this one however they do act as though nothing like this happened before N-day (1/20/09).

Since: May 11

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
To the contrary, we will never forget 9-11-01 as long as one single Islamic terrorist continues to breathe.
That is why we so despise our so-called President fighting on the side of this human filth in Syria.
Really?

1) George W. Bush did Al Qaeda & Iran a huge favor by taking out their enemy, Sadam & Iraq.

2) Who forgot about 9-11? George W Bush when he declared the man to carried out those attacks irrelevant.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, excuse me. You prefer belly up.
Nope, you're still stuck in binary thinking. Ya know, its your panicky sense of doom that engages your hind-brain which puts you in that state of mind. It lights up your "fight or flight" response, only two choices. Your handlers know that if they can keep your paranoia ramped up you can't really engage your cerebral cortex where reasoning happens.

You're welcome.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

flack wrote:
<quoted text> Obviously not. Go and read the speech. You won't because it will upset your apple cart.
What speech?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberaltarian. Not really a libertarian and not really a liberal. Just has an irrational hatred towards conservatives.
Y'all have no idea what you're talking about. Show me ONE libertarian that excuses Bush's bungling of the economy and I'll show you another lying Republican who doesn't know what libertarianism is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

54 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min Louis Slungpoo 45,893
The Best Investment Advice Of All Time 49 min Chan 1
Top 100 Inspirational Quotes 55 min Chan 1
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr andet1987 4,590
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr andet1987 477
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr andet1987 1,198
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,569
Amy 7-30 2 hr pde 21
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr LRS 175,138
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 8 hr PEllen 97,577
•••
•••
•••