Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929756 Jun 22, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> To the nation's cash? The nation has no cash.
Good point, although Ben would disagree.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#929757 Jun 22, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Kruger is a Nobel Price Economist than he got a prediction terribly wrong and now has no more authority than the next one.
This person is a self described anti-Republican.
This info shows why-
The guy's main gripe is it causes the CBO more work and he doesn't like the Lauffer curve being calculated.
The Republican War on Data

By BRUCE BARTLETT

....First, it would require the CBO effectively to do a macroeconomic estimate of many bills just to determine whether the 0.25 percent threshold is met. Thus it will impose an additional work requirement on the agency without providing any additional resources.

But the true purpose of the legislation is to institutionalize the Laffer curve into tax analysis. The Laffer curve says that some tax cuts may pay for themselves by expanding the tax base more than taxes are cut.

There are, of course, some cases where the Laffer curve may be true. But in recent years, Republicans have routinely asserted that all tax cuts pay for themselves. For example, in 2010, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said,“There’s no evidence whatsoever that the Bush tax cuts actually diminished revenue. They increased revenue, because of the vibrancy of these tax cuts in the economy.”

McConnell added,“That’s been the majority Republican view for some time.”

I have many other examples in my files of congressional Republicans denying that tax cuts ever increase the budget deficit. But of course they do.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2013/06...

Bruce Bartlett is a former senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis of Dallas, Texas. Before joining the NCPA, he was deputy assistant secretary for economic policy at the U.S. Treasury Department, where he served from September 1988 to January 1993. In 1987 and 1988, Bartlett was a senior policy analyst in the Office of Policy Development at the White House.

From 1985 through 1987, he was a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C.

Between 1976 and 1984, Bartlett held numerous positions on Capitol Hill. In 1976, he served on the staff of Rep. Ron Paul of Texas as a legislative assistant. In 1977, he joined the staff of Rep. Jack Kemp of New York as a special assistant and staff economist. While with Kemp, Bartlett helped draft the famous Kemp-Roth tax bill. Between 1979 and 1980, he worked for Sen. Roger Jepsen of Iowa as chief legislative assistant. In 1981, Bartlett joined the staff of the Joint Economic Committee of Congress as deputy director, becoming executive director in 1983. Bartlett is a prolific author, having published over 900 articles in national publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post, as well as many prominent magazines such as Fortune. In 1996, one of his columns inspired Bob Dole's 15 percent tax reduction plan.

Bartlett has also written for important academic journals and published four books, including Reaganomics: Supply-Side Economics in Action, published in 1981.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2013/06...

so i'd say his gripes carry a large amount of weight.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929758 Jun 22, 2013
killtaker wrote:
Obamacare and the private practice Doctor...
no more?
"The left can eliminate them now and make them (physicians) dependent on hospitals for maintaining their earnings. Their quasi-small business owner traits will be traded in for well paid employees of a company, and one that is most likely part of a large corporation through the M&A activity in health care. It took forty-five years, but the progressive steamroller rolls on."
http://28sherman.blogspot.com/
Not completely. There will be a two-tier medical system where the best physicians will work directly for cash.

The reason? They won't be well-paid in the government system, will be forced to unionize, etc.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929759 Jun 22, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text>No, Obama did not 'get his panties in a wad'; you did when both CNN and Fox got it wrong,but Fox refused to admit it. Fox looked like the fool's news that it really is.:-D
The New York Times had a silver lining for those who thought the mandate was all that important:

"Although many conservatives were stung that the law will stand, the court’s ruling did have the potential to restrain Congress in the longer term. The restriction of the Medicaid expansion could limit the federal government’s ability to alter other federally financed state programs.

"The commerce clause ruling revised the constitutional structure, handing a victory to conservative legal scholars who say Congress’s power to regulate interstate commerce must have defined limits. New challenges to federal laws on commerce clause grounds are likely to follow."

...So, basically, Obamacare was demoted to a tax law that can be interpreted any way the states want to interpret it.

(Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!)
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929760 Jun 22, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>It was gerrymandering that cost Kucinich another term you stupid fk, they were both incumbents__WTF, are you brain dead or something?
Same down here where Mica had to face fellow sitting (R) Adams, that was ugly by the way because Adams was a big mouthed, lying TeaParty scumbag who Mica could only laugh at in debates or at hobnobs.
You didn't answer the question Johnboy__was the 17th PA congressional district redrawn?
check here___for yes
check here___for no
Holden's district was redrawn to make it more heavily Democratic, with the unintended consequence that Holden was defeated in the primary by a radical-leftist non-incumbent Democrat.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#929761 Jun 22, 2013
killtaker wrote:
Liberals, plastic bags and washing the one's you will have to reuse in California...
"A reminder to shoppers who use reusable grocery bags: Don’t forget to wash them after you’ve emptied them.
Nearly every bag examined for bacteria by researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University found whopping amounts of bugs. Coliform bacteria, suggesting raw-meat or uncooked-food contamination, was in half of the bags, and E. coli was found in 12 percent of the bags."
http://classicalvalues.com/
I don't use the plastic shopping bags, thank-you. The cloth shopping bag that costs just a buck or two more with the American union label to show that it was made locally by some of my neighbors will do me just fine. I get a more durable shopping bag that's more usable for a variety of things and I get the added bonus of improving my neighborhood by helping keep local employment high.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#929762 Jun 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
Scandal In The Wind: Senator Mitch McConnell Sticks Fork In IRS Kerfuffle
The mainstream media took to the IRS “scandal” like a bunny in heat to a pair of mink slippers, immediately proclaiming the agency’s alleged targeting of conservative groups for additional tax-exempt-application scrutiny “Nixonian,” and even directly accusing the President of ordering it. The same reporters and commentators who, a month ago, were fitting President Obama for a Joe Biden pardon have fallen silent now that Rep. Elijah Cummings has helped to crush the dream of a White House link to the scandal, but at least Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is facing facts.
“There might be some folks out there waiting for a hand signed memo from President Obama to Lois Learner to turn up,” he said, referring to conservatives and Republicans who have charged that the IRS was following White House instructions when it targeted conservative non-profits.“Do not hold your breath.”
…“I am prepared to say, and did say today, that the President and his political allies encouraged this kind of bureaucratic overreach by their public comments,” he said.“But that’s quite different from saying they ordered it.”
http://www.mediaite.com/online/scandal-in-the...
so let's get a count on all of the failed attempts to stick Obama with a 'scandal'
Fast and Furious: fail.
Benghazi: fail.
IRS: fail.
i know i missed one or 2. anyone?
"sonic"
The real scandal of the nobama administration. It's abject failure. The nobama administration has failed to;
- Get unemployment in line, the rate is higher today than it was the day he was elected
- Rein in the deficit
- nobamakare a trillion dollar boon dogle, one his "accomplishments" along with his stimulus bill that pissed away near a trillion dollars for little gain
We know you had to be a supporter of Fast and Furious, a nobama disaster, supplying arms to the Mexican drug cartels, it is not a big deal in your sick mind that an American border agent died. Another not a big deal, hillary agrees with you Benghazi, 4 American's died including our ambassador.
In addition you are an out and out racist, you live in a black and white world, black = good, white = bad.
Peace
KMA
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929763 Jun 22, 2013
Still no comment on the lack of subsidies for those who choose the exchange over a qualified employer program?

"Here is the dirty little secret.

If your employer offers you a qualified plan and you decline, you can still buy insurance on the exchange, but you are ineligible for any subsidy, regardless of income.

Check it out before you respond and make a bigger fool of yourself than you obviously are."

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#929764 Jun 22, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
The New York Times had a silver lining for those who thought the mandate was all that important:
"Although many conservatives were stung that the law will stand, the court’s ruling did have the potential to restrain Congress in the longer term. The restriction of the Medicaid expansion could limit the federal government’s ability to alter other federally financed state programs.
"The commerce clause ruling revised the constitutional structure, handing a victory to conservative legal scholars who say Congress’s power to regulate interstate commerce must have defined limits. New challenges to federal laws on commerce clause grounds are likely to follow."
...So, basically, Obamacare was demoted to a tax law that can be interpreted any way the states want to interpret it.
(Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!)
Actually, by the conservative U S Supreme Court upholding the individual mandate (the GOP idea smuggled in to help the Big Insurers) will guarantee that Obamacare remains financially sound and works. Secondly, the Federal government can not penalize states for not expanding their Medicaid programs which means poor people in states that don't expand Medicaid will still be receiving their Federally -mandated Medicaid and Medicare coverage.:-D

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#929765 Jun 22, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
How much money has Darryl Issa wasted?
"silly"
Less than michelle is spending on her African vacation.
Peace
KMA

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#929766 Jun 22, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Not completely. There will be a two-tier medical system where the best physicians will work directly for cash.
The reason? They won't be well-paid in the government system, will be forced to unionize, etc.
Dr's have a bargaining chip...

our health...

but they (doctors) are 'hyper-consumers' and have huge debt to pay off as they begin a practice...AND regulations (Fed Gov) can run off the best physicians...

they are hard eggs to crack...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929767 Jun 22, 2013
<quoted text>I don't use the plastic shopping bags, thank-you. The cloth shopping bag that costs just a buck or two more with the American union label to show that it was made locally by some of my neighbors will do me just fine. I get a more durable shopping bag that's more usable for a variety of things and I get the added bonus of improving my neighborhood by helping keep local employment high.
Your germ-laden cloth shopping bag, which is impossible to clean completely, is not worth the risk of disease transmission for the sake of minimal environmental effects.

What else do you use it for besides food?

When you buy fresh produce, do you just dump the lettuce in the bag with the onions and the tomatoes? And the kitty litter?

So, what do you use for household garbage?
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#929768 Jun 22, 2013
EasyEed wrote:
<quoted text>
"sonic"
The real scandal of the nobama administration. It's abject failure. The nobama administration has failed to;
- Get unemployment in line, the rate is higher today than it was the day he was elected
- Rein in the deficit
- nobamakare a trillion dollar boon dogle, one his "accomplishments" along with his stimulus bill that pissed away near a trillion dollars for little gain
We know you had to be a supporter of Fast and Furious, a nobama disaster, supplying arms to the Mexican drug cartels, it is not a big deal in your sick mind that an American border agent died. Another not a big deal, hillary agrees with you Benghazi, 4 American's died including our ambassador.
In addition you are an out and out racist, you live in a black and white world, black = good, white = bad.
Peace
KMA
black and white.....

the same sort of stuff happened during Bush.

hard for me to see a 'scandal' when those things weren't scandals when a Republican was in office.

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#929769 Jun 22, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
All people should have equal access to opportunity.
All people who have earned equal credit ratings should have equal access to capital.
Galt does not believe in classifying people in your terms. "Working class" is particularly offensive because the left means the working poor, where the right would argue that it means all those who work for a living, regardless of income.
Galt believes in equality of opportunity . It sounds pretty Obamaesque liberal to me! "Equality[of opportunity] was the North Star in President Obama’s confident and ambitious Inaugural Address this week. But the speech defined the idea around two distinct poles, and his path to progress is much clearer on one than the other."
http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/politi...

Location hidden

#929770 Jun 22, 2013
<quoted text>I don't use the plastic shopping bags, thank-you. The cloth shopping bag that costs just a buck or two more with the American union label to show that it was made locally by some of my neighbors will do me just fine. I get a more durable shopping bag that's more usable for a variety of things and I get the added bonus of improving my neighborhood by helping keep local employment high.
You think food stampers wash there reusable shopping bags?

"The researchers were likely met with a lot of blank looks. Most shoppers -- 97%, in fact -- reported that they do not regularly, if ever, wash the bags."

so...

"The researchers tested 84 of the bags for bacteria. They found whopping amounts in all but one bag, and coliform bacteria (suggesting raw-meat or uncooked-food contamination) in half. And yes, the much-feared E. coli was among them -- in 12% of the bags."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-gree...

these are the 'cloth' reusable ones...

strike two against you...

"Carts one of dirtiest places in grocery store, study says"

"Gerba says 72% of the carts had a positive marker for fecal bacteria. When they examined some of the samples, they found Escherichia coli, also known as E. coli, on half of them."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/yourlife/healt...
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929771 Jun 22, 2013
<quoted text>Actually, by the conservative U S Supreme Court upholding the individual mandate (the GOP idea smuggled in to help the Big Insurers) will guarantee that Obamacare remains financially sound and works. Secondly, the Federal government can not penalize states for not expanding their Medicaid programs which means poor people in states that don't expand Medicaid will still be receiving their Federally -mandated Medicaid and Medicare coverage.:-D
Read the decision and you will find that because the remedy for being uninsured is a tax and not a penalty or a fine, the government's ability to increase the tax is limited without further legislative action, which is highly unlikely.

Location hidden

#929772 Jun 22, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
black and white.....
the same sort of stuff happened during Bush.
hard for me to see a 'scandal' when those things weren't scandals when a Republican was in office.
can I be a member of your tennis club for free?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929773 Jun 22, 2013
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr's have a bargaining chip...
our health...
but they (doctors) are 'hyper-consumers' and have huge debt to pay off as they begin a practice...AND regulations (Fed Gov) can run off the best physicians...
they are hard eggs to crack...
Obamacare will eventually degrade the quality of medical care by attracting less qualified people to the practice of medicine.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929774 Jun 22, 2013
<quoted text>Galt believes in equality of opportunity . It sounds pretty Obamaesque liberal to me! "Equality[of opportunity] was the North Star in President Obama’s confident and ambitious Inaugural Address this week. But the speech defined the idea around two distinct poles, and his path to progress is much clearer on one than the other."
http://www.nationaljournal.com/columns/politi...
Affirmative action and racial quotas are the antithesis of equality of opportunity.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#929775 Jun 22, 2013
killtaker wrote:
<quoted text>
can I be a member of your tennis club for free?
no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min KiMerde 51,265
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 39 min Brian_G 49,239
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 71,119
Disgraceful treatment at O'Hare 1 hr far away 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Rogue Scholar 05 181,872
The Violence in Chicago is from Gangs and Not t... 3 hr joey 2
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 6 hr Mover 88
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News