Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...
Comments
853,641 - 853,660 of 1,079,656 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>.. while some cons paid themselves from the bill?
interesting.
I know Tennessee Rep. Stephen Fincher(R) which he had no problem with Washington DC giving him $3.48 million of taxpayer dollars since 1999 for farm subsidies. Last year he reportedly received over $70,000.

God is opposed to food stamps? Let’s try an evidence-based approach to hunger instead.

By Herb Silverman, Updated: June 12, 2013

Recently, I wrote about a Democratic Representative of Congress who used biblical arguments for doing something about global warming to counter a Republican Representative’s biblical arguments for doing nothing about global warming. I advocated for evidence-based decisions rather than faith-based decisions, which put me on the do-something side.

Now we have a Republican who used biblical arguments against food stamps to counter Democrats who used biblical arguments for food stamps. During a meeting of the House Agricultural Committee, Tennessee Rep. Stephen Fincher quoted from Matthew and Thessalonians that the poor will always be with us and that those unwilling to work shall not eat. Fincher acknowledged that caring for the hungry might be something for Christians to do, but not with government money. While I strongly support separation of church and state, I think that’s a rather bizarre framing of the concept. Private support for the least among us can be for religious or secular reasons, but I hope we will never have a government that ignores the least among us.

Unfortunately, biblical arguments have become so commonplace in politics that they are hardly worth noting. This one, however, has an added dimension. Although Fincher complained about Washington stealing taxpayer money from some and giving it to others, he had no problem with Washington giving him $3.48 million of taxpayer dollars since 1999 for farm subsidies. Last year he reportedly received over $70,000, which I assume he needed more than those low-income people he wants to cut from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/...

Rep. Fincher's stand on food stamps evokes cries of hypocrisy

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130606/NE...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
What event?
You were talking fantasy, so I just played along to keep you happy, son.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Gallup: 59% of Americans want all or almost all abortions made illegal

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154838/Pro-Choice-...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
You're retired. Just take the money and don't worry.
Government money?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are saying just the opposite will happen- deflation. I have heard rumors of an upcoming recession as being very possible.
For the Progressives here. The recession ended June 2009.
You can read Kudlow's comments here
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100835512
I think too another recession is just like with FDR which is why Obama wants to tie Social Security to the CPI(Consumer Price Index) so when the economoy goes south so does Social Security.

Consumer price index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_price_i...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
Lily would be going through some major changes if she knew Hannity was interviewing a large group of blacks right now on his show talking about why they switched to the republican party.
There's a shift going on within the black community. It's beginning to surface.
Really? So it's a race for race now?

wow.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
You're retired. Just take the money and don't worry.
No problem there. But rising prices and inflation are still very concerning. If the economy is drastically affected, it will affect us all in some way or another.

I'm also concerned about husband's 401k - as many others are, I assume.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Anyone who's surprised an Obama supporter like Paula Deen uses racist language has obviously never been to New England.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
Gallup: 59% of Americans want all or almost all abortions made illegal
http://www.gallup.com/poll/154838/Pro-Choice-...
It's amazing how you lie son....

.... or fail to comprehend

.... or both!

I think it's both since you consistently work at being an idiot. From your article.....

"...Gallup's longest-running measure of abortion views, established in 1975, asks Americans if abortion should be legal in all circumstances, legal only under certain circumstances, or illegal in all circumstances. Since 2001, at least half of Americans have consistently chosen the middle position, saying abortion should be legal under certain circumstances, and the 52% saying this today is similar to the 50% in May 2011...."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem there. But rising prices and inflation are still very concerning. If the economy is drastically affected, it will affect us all in some way or another.
401k's will definitely be affected just like in 2008 when the crisis hit and it will be worse this time because of the deficit which I believe it will be like Germany economy back in 1930's during because they were so heavily in debt and when the US called in on the debt the German economy really tanked and inflation exploded in Germany.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>I think too another recession is just like with FDR which is why Obama wants to tie Social Security to the CPI(Consumer Price Index) so when the economoy goes south so does Social Security.
Consumer price index
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_price_i...
If bushie boy had privatized SS, just think how 'wonderful' it would have been in 2008...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
Anyone who's surprised an Obama supporter like Paula Deen uses racist language has obviously never been to New England.
Your right, the closer you get to the east coast racism gets worse.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Really? So it's a race for race now?
wow.
More and more black people are finally realizing the democrats not only aren't doing anything to help them but don't care about doing anything to help them. They're waking up to the reality of having been made dependent and their children being forced to stay in crappy schools where other liberals don't care either.

It's a good thing - maybe not for the democrats but definitely for the black community and the country.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Lessons of the 1930s
There could be trouble ahead

In 2008 the world dodged a second Depression by avoiding the mistakes that led to the first. But there are further lessons to be learned for both Europe and America

Dec 10th 2011

http://www.economist.com/node/21541388
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>401k's will definitely be affected just like in 2008 when the crisis hit and it will be worse this time because of the deficit which I believe it will be like Germany economy back in 1930's during because they were so heavily in debt and when the US called in on the debt the German economy really tanked and inflation exploded in Germany.
Well, that's certainly not what I want to hear but why I'm concerned. We can only hope it won't come to that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>If bushie boy had privatized SS, just think how 'wonderful' it would have been in 2008...
I know what you are saying there too but either way if it was privatized like how bush wanted to do it or keep it the way it is, either way it still is a loose loose proposition because as of individuals as the way Social Security stands and operates we have no rights to Social Security what so ever which is why I favor elimination of the program altogether or privatized and allow individiuals to do as they wish with their money.

Social Security’s Sham Guarantee

By Michael D. Tanner

May 29, 2005

How many times during the recent debate over Social Security reform have you heard someone refer to Social Security’s “guaranteed benefit”? The AARP says “Social Security is the guaranteed part of your retirement plan.” Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House, touts the system’s “guaranteed retirement benefit.” The liberal activist group ProtectYourCheck.org , headed by former Clinton chief of staff Harold Ickes, is running ads calling Social Security “a guarantee you earned.”

But Social Security benefits are not guaranteed.

They are not guaranteed legally because workers have no contractual or property rights to any benefits whatsoever. In two landmark cases, Flemming v. Nestor(1960) and Helvering v. Davis(1937), the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Social Security taxes are not contributions or savings, but simply taxes, and that Social Security benefits are simply a government spending program, no different than, say, farm price supports. Congress and the president may change, reduce, or even eliminate benefits at any time.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/s...
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>It's amazing how you lie son....
.... or fail to comprehend
.... or both!
I think it's both since you consistently work at being an idiot. From your article.....
"...Gallup's longest-running measure of abortion views, established in 1975, asks Americans if abortion should be legal in all circumstances, legal only under certain circumstances, or illegal in all circumstances. Since 2001, at least half of Americans have consistently chosen the middle position, saying abortion should be legal under certain circumstances, and the 52% saying this today is similar to the 50% in May 2011...."
This is the part I liked.

The 41% of Americans who now identify themselves as "pro-choice" is down from 47% last July.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
More and more black people are finally realizing the democrats not only aren't doing anything to help them but don't care about doing anything to help them. They're waking up to the reality of having been made dependent and their children being forced to stay in crappy schools where other liberals don't care either.
It's a good thing - maybe not for the democrats but definitely for the black community and the country.
Jackson says welfare, not slavery destroys black families

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:30 pm | Updated: 11:55 pm, Thu Jun 20, 2013.

BY MARKUS SCHMIDT Richmond Times-Dispatch

At a Juneteenth event in Newport News, E.W. Jackson, the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, said that slavery did not destroy black families, but government welfare programs launched in the 1960s caused them to deteriorate.

Speaking before a small crowd at King-Lincoln Park Wednesday, not too far from where the first African slaves entered the Colonies, Jackson referred to his great-grandparents, who were slaves and sharecroppers in Orange County.

“I am a direct descendent of slaves. My grandfather was born there to a father and a mother who had been slaves. And by the way, their family was more intact than the black family is today,” Jackson said.

“I’m telling you that slavery did not destroy the black family, even though it certainly was an attack on the black family. It made it difficult,” he said.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regio...

Black GOP Candidate: Social Welfare Programs Harm Blacks More Than Slavery (Video)

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1-black-...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's certainly not what I want to hear but why I'm concerned. We can only hope it won't come to that.
I agree but with all these entitlement programs we have now which during the Great Depression we didnt have here in the US are compounding and making the problem I believe worse besides which is helping to drive the Federal Deficit up that is out of Control which is going to bring the inevitable another recession but worse.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Jackson says welfare, not slavery destroys black families
Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:30 pm | Updated: 11:55 pm, Thu Jun 20, 2013.
BY MARKUS SCHMIDT Richmond Times-Dispatch
At a Juneteenth event in Newport News, E.W. Jackson, the Republican candidate for lieutenant governor, said that slavery did not destroy black families, but government welfare programs launched in the 1960s caused them to deteriorate.
Speaking before a small crowd at King-Lincoln Park Wednesday, not too far from where the first African slaves entered the Colonies, Jackson referred to his great-grandparents, who were slaves and sharecroppers in Orange County.
“I am a direct descendent of slaves. My grandfather was born there to a father and a mother who had been slaves. And by the way, their family was more intact than the black family is today,” Jackson said.
“I’m telling you that slavery did not destroy the black family, even though it certainly was an attack on the black family. It made it difficult,” he said.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regio...
Black GOP Candidate: Social Welfare Programs Harm Blacks More Than Slavery (Video)
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/1-black-...
It will be a great shift if blacks raise themselves out of the mire of dependency the democrats apparently think they belong.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 11 min obama 48,890
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 49 min Milsack 174,600
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 1 hr TW_sugar_daddio 10
Amy 7-24 1 hr loose cannon 19
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,554
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,371
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 67,924
Abby 7-24 2 hr Pippa 42
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Mister Tonka 97,524
•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000