Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929347 Jun 21, 2013
Forum wrote:
<quoted text>
We all work the same.
The ones that don't just get heavier.
God balances.
Karen Lewis is proof of that.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929348 Jun 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the "conservative hour"? Where'd the other side go?
drinking, mugging, etc..
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929349 Jun 21, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>I have facts-and aspartame was nothing but bad science,but anyone is free to use it. It was banned by the FDA twice.
It all starts in the mid 1960&#8242;s with a company called G.D. Searle. One of their chemists accidentally creates aspartame while trying to create a cure for stomach ulcers. Searle decides to put aspartame through a testing process which eventually leads to its approval by the FDA. Not long after, serious health effects begin to arise and G.D. Searle comes under fire for their testing practices. It is revealed that the testing process of Aspartame was among the worst the investigators had ever seen and that in fact the product was unsafe for use. Aspartame triggers the first criminal investigation of a manufacturer put into place by the FDA in 1977. By 1980 the FDA bans aspartame from use after having 3 independent scientists study the sweetener. It was determined that one main health effects was that it had a high chance of inducing brain tumors. At this point it was clear that aspartame was not fit to be used in foods and banned is where it stayed, but not for long.
Early in 1981 Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld (who is a former Secretary of Defense.. surprise surprise) vowed to “call in his markers,” to get it approved. January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan’s inauguration, Searle took the steps to re-apply aspartame’s approval for use by the FDA. Ronald Reagans’ new FDA commissioner Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry’s decision. It did not take long for the panel to decide 3-2 in favor of maintaining the ban of aspartame. Hull then decided to appoint a 6th member to the board, which created a tie in the voting, 3-3. Hull then decided to personally break the tie and approve aspartame for use. Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller. Burstone-Marstella is the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame.
Just use sugar
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929350 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
drinking, mugging, etc..
Oh, I see...drowning their sorrows or taking it out on others.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#929351 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Hillary has no chance for the Democrat nomination.
Perhaps an independent Clinton-Bloomberg ticket.
Where do you think all the Obama fundraising money is going?
The best Democratic party ticket will be Hillary/Michelle 2016!:-D
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929352 Jun 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see...drowning their sorrows or taking it out on others.
Perhaps Shabbat services, but kinda late in NYC South...
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929353 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Inflation and interest rates will be rising.
The Fed can no longer keep a lid on it.
Most sites say the effects will be the same as in any recession. Potential buisnesses closing down and concerns of job security.

And what you said.

All of it is concerning to me.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#929354 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes
It is unfortunate that farm policy gets confused with welfare (food stamps).
Both subjects deserve independent review,
I agree.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929355 Jun 21, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> The best Democratic party ticket will be Hillary/Michelle 2016!:-D
Michelle maybe, Hillary never.

Obama will not give up power. Michelle would be the ideal surrogate, but might be a tough sell. Doesn't mean Obama won't try, and he has all the money, Hillary none.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929356 Jun 21, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>True. When the event took place under Romney, non cons would politely listen and accept his word.
What event?
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#929357 Jun 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Most sites say the effects will be the same as in any recession. Potential buisnesses closing down and concerns of job security.
And what you said.
All of it is concerning to me.
You're retired. Just take the money and don't worry.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#929358 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Inflation and interest rates will be rising.
The Fed can no longer keep a lid on it.
Some are saying just the opposite will happen- deflation. I have heard rumors of an upcoming recession as being very possible.

For the Progressives here. The recession ended June 2009.

You can read Kudlow's comments here
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100835512
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929359 Jun 21, 2013
Lily would be going through some major changes if she knew Hannity was interviewing a large group of blacks right now on his show talking about why they switched to the republican party.

There's a shift going on within the black community. It's beginning to surface.

Location hidden

#929360 Jun 21, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>.. while some cons paid themselves from the bill?
interesting.
I know Tennessee Rep. Stephen Fincher(R) which he had no problem with Washington DC giving him $3.48 million of taxpayer dollars since 1999 for farm subsidies. Last year he reportedly received over $70,000.

God is opposed to food stamps? Let’s try an evidence-based approach to hunger instead.

By Herb Silverman, Updated: June 12, 2013

Recently, I wrote about a Democratic Representative of Congress who used biblical arguments for doing something about global warming to counter a Republican Representative’s biblical arguments for doing nothing about global warming. I advocated for evidence-based decisions rather than faith-based decisions, which put me on the do-something side.

Now we have a Republican who used biblical arguments against food stamps to counter Democrats who used biblical arguments for food stamps. During a meeting of the House Agricultural Committee, Tennessee Rep. Stephen Fincher quoted from Matthew and Thessalonians that the poor will always be with us and that those unwilling to work shall not eat. Fincher acknowledged that caring for the hungry might be something for Christians to do, but not with government money. While I strongly support separation of church and state, I think that’s a rather bizarre framing of the concept. Private support for the least among us can be for religious or secular reasons, but I hope we will never have a government that ignores the least among us.

Unfortunately, biblical arguments have become so commonplace in politics that they are hardly worth noting. This one, however, has an added dimension. Although Fincher complained about Washington stealing taxpayer money from some and giving it to others, he had no problem with Washington giving him $3.48 million of taxpayer dollars since 1999 for farm subsidies. Last year he reportedly received over $70,000, which I assume he needed more than those low-income people he wants to cut from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/...

Rep. Fincher's stand on food stamps evokes cries of hypocrisy

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130606/NE...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#929361 Jun 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
What event?
You were talking fantasy, so I just played along to keep you happy, son.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#929362 Jun 21, 2013
Gallup: 59% of Americans want all or almost all abortions made illegal

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154838/Pro-Choice-...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#929363 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Government money?

Location hidden

#929364 Jun 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are saying just the opposite will happen- deflation. I have heard rumors of an upcoming recession as being very possible.
For the Progressives here. The recession ended June 2009.
You can read Kudlow's comments here
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100835512
I think too another recession is just like with FDR which is why Obama wants to tie Social Security to the CPI(Consumer Price Index) so when the economoy goes south so does Social Security.

Consumer price index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_price_i...
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#929365 Jun 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
Lily would be going through some major changes if she knew Hannity was interviewing a large group of blacks right now on his show talking about why they switched to the republican party.
There's a shift going on within the black community. It's beginning to surface.
Really? So it's a race for race now?

wow.
Aunt Bettie Lou

Orlando, FL

#929366 Jun 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem there. But rising prices and inflation are still very concerning. If the economy is drastically affected, it will affect us all in some way or another.

I'm also concerned about husband's 401k - as many others are, I assume.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min KiMerde 50,644
amy 1-25 10 min Pippa l 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 18 min Beavis 179,463
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 33 min JOEL 70,104
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr PEllen 98,504
abby 10-25 1 hr PEllen 1
Man fatally stabbed, 8 other people shot in Thu... 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance