Barack Obama, our next President

There are 20 comments on the Nov 5, 2008, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#917897 Jun 3, 2013
The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the police practice of taking DNA samples from people who have been arrested but not convicted of a crime, ruling that it amounts to the 21st century version of fingerprinting.

The ruling was 5-4. Justice Antonin Scalia, a conservative, joined three of the court’s more liberal members — Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan — in dissenting.

The five justices in the majority ruled that DNA sampling, after an arrest “for a serious offense” and when officers “bring the suspect to the station to be detained in custody,” does not violate the Fourth Amendment’s prohibition of unreasonable searches.

Under those specifications, the court said,“taking and analyzing a cheek swab of the arrestee’s DNA is, like fingerprinting and photographing, a legitimate police booking procedure that is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment.”

Scalia’s siding with the liberals reflects his growing concern over the past five years about privacy, said Tom Goldstein, the publisher of SCOTUSblog, who teaches at Harvard Law School and is a Supreme Court analyst for NBC News.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/03/18...

I wonder how Galt feels about this?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#917898 Jun 3, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> what are those/ Florida ghetto? I'm sure it's a common occurrence there?
Dang I forgot to mention Galax and Martinsville.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#917899 Jun 3, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm just pointing out his narcissism - doesn't really matter how many times he did or didn't say "I" in his speeches.
Actions speak louder than words. The content of his speeches is also pretty loud.
Strange that you don't notice the narcissism in any of your friends here.

Since: May 11

Newville, PA

#917900 Jun 3, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I'm just pointing out his narcissism - doesn't really matter how many times he did or didn't say "I" in his speeches.
Actions speak louder than words. The content of his speeches is also pretty loud.
Thank you Rush Limbaugh. My God, are all you right whiners dittogeads?

Newville, PA

#917901 Jun 3, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>Neither is a poor person. You don't have to accept any medicare. There are people who are retired and are healthy that would sooner not pay the 100 plus dollars to have medicare. And what about the retired military, they don't have to pay to have medicare either. So it these people don't want to pay for medicare--why do you think anyone is going to pay for O'bamacare? stupid O'bamacare. Only a sickness orientated shrill like yourself is touting O'bamacare--why else would you?
I was replying to a comment how ryan's reform allowed wealthy people to opt out.

Try to keep up.

“Bill Clinton could have ”

Since: May 10

Prevented this

#917902 Jun 3, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
A person doesn't have to be covered by an employer or the government to have health insurance. An ignoranmus who values concerts and lattes more than their health deserves to be targeted.
I'm tired of having tax payer dollors pay for their free emergency room visits and wouldn't mind seeing them turned away at the hospital door if they couldn't prove they were financially able to pay. Guess one could refer to that as "Preventive Maintenance".
liberals wanting Americans to die in the streets-wow just wow. It was from your state of California that it actually happened. That is why no one is refused service to this day. It cost about 58 billion dollars for the uninsured. That is a far cry from the 1 trillion dollars that O'bama care is going to cost tax payers. And then add another 50 million illegals and the cost... should go to 2 trillion. Yes, liberals like you are about as smart as a rock. Do you think they are going to take the tax line off our property taxes that pays for state and county hospitals. It cost tax payers in Illinois 800 million a year for gang violence associated with the gun ban. You may have a point--why save the violent illegals and negroes in Illinois.

Prevented this

#917903 Jun 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I was replying to a comment how ryan's reform allowed wealthy people to opt out.
Try to keep up.
I am going to opt out regardless.

Newville, PA

#917906 Jun 3, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>what would that be? play a game of chess?
How many puppet governments has the US installed around the world?

I guess you think we invaded them?

We can use sanctions, we can fund, arm and/or support the opposition.

Just how uninformed are you people??
shinningelectr0n

Goodrich, MI

#917907 Jun 3, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
Whereas you Waxtuird mutts are vile liars and racists.
Bile burping boy, you are:]

Prevented this

#917908 Jun 3, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>You don't say?
So we can give credit to Obama for the iraq drawn down? Afghanistan too?
And for reducing the debt at a faster than anticipated rate?
And for the lower unemployment?
interesting.....
Iraq would have been stable by now, if O'bama had not declared 'we surrender' and if he would not have waved the flag of Islam.

“Amor patriae.”

Since: Feb 08

Eastern Oregon

#917909 Jun 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Supports efforts.
Where does it say to invade? Where does it say military actions?
What's Obama going to do, provide cash, jets and tanks to these rebels too? Maybe his charisma and powers of persuasion? How will you square that?
shinningelectr0n

Goodrich, MI

#917910 Jun 3, 2013
Nuculur option wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like George Bush's big mouth intervened in the Terri Schiavo case??
It didn't work. The husband's rights were upheld by law, Jeb Bush and Bill Frist lost their jobs over their stupidity.
We're talking here about a black punk who picked the wrong guy to mess with and you start Bush-Bashing?

Do you drive on the right side of the road?

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#917911 Jun 3, 2013
Obama declared that history will mark his ascent to the presidency as the moment when "our planet began to heal."

No narcissism there.

People with narcissistic personalities tend to deprecate and treat with contempt those from whom they do not expect anything, i.e. "teabaggers". Beneath a surface that is often charming and engaging, one senses coldness and ruthlessness.

Former White House aid, Neera Tanden, was reported as saying in New York Magazine:“The truth is, Obama doesn’t call anyone, and he’s not close to almost anyone. It’s stunning that he’s in politics, because he really doesn’t like people."

http://nymag.com/news/politics/elections-2012...

Newville, PA

#917912 Jun 3, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
So what did they have in mind to remove Saddam from power and initiate a democratic government to replace his regime? Ask them nicely? I'm sure the insurgents would have politely stepped aside and Saddam willingly allowed himself to be led away in handcuffs.
This is just how naive Democrats are.
They can bark real loud but when it comes to putting their teeth into anything that might upset their base and their precious seats of power, they whimper and pee their pants.
You should be embarrassed just by association.
For you uninformed dumbass right whiners. A wiki article.

Read it & see just how stupid your comment was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_United_St...

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#917913 Jun 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Rush Limbaugh. My God, are all you right whiners dittogeads?
In Bob Woodward's book, "Price of Politics", he writes:

"Democrats complained of being out of the loop, not knowing where the White House stood on major points. Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., the ranking Democrat on the House Budget Committee, is described as having a 'growing feeling of incredulity' as negotiations meandered.

"'The administration didn't seem to have a strategy. It was unbelievable. There didn't seem to be any core principles.'"
Homer

Bethlehem, PA

#917914 Jun 3, 2013
Homer wrote:
The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the police practice of taking DNA samples from people who have been arrested but not convicted of a crime, ruling that it amounts to the 21st century version of fingerprinting.
The ruling was 5-4. Justice Antonin Scalia, a conservative, joined three of the court’s more liberal members — Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan — in dissenting.
The five justices in the majority ruled that DNA sampling, after an arrest “for a serious offense” and when officers “bring the suspect to the station to be detained in custody,” does not violate the Fourth Amendment’s prohibition of unreasonable searches.
Under those specifications, the court said,“taking and analyzing a cheek swab of the arrestee’s DNA is, like fingerprinting and photographing, a legitimate police booking procedure that is reasonable under the Fourth Amendment.”
Scalia’s siding with the liberals reflects his growing concern over the past five years about privacy, said Tom Goldstein, the publisher of SCOTUSblog, who teaches at Harvard Law School and is a Supreme Court analyst for NBC News.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/03/18...
I wonder how Galt feels about this?
So much for privacy.

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#917915 Jun 3, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is disgusting. Trayvon was a troubled teen and, no matter the outcome of the trial, it is a tragedy that he was killed. It's not a joke.
Do you realize just how many jokes are told daily about the deaths of bad people? Hitler comedy, Saddam Hussein comedy, Trayvon Martin comedy.

Don't play stupid to make a point. It won't work with me.

Since: Feb 08

Spokane, WA

#917916 Jun 3, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
That audio did not match Eed's quotation.
Try to keep up
"Fenris"
"real dumb" as selective hearing. If the words come from a liberal turd they are gospel in his mind. If the words come from one who is conservative the are BS in his mind. "real dumbs" problem, he does not thing for himself, he is a simple minded troll.
Peace

Newville, PA

#917917 Jun 3, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> You know, believe it or not, there was a time when presidents didn't get involved in the daily lives of Americans. They left local things to local people. This clown interjects himself into places not needed or wanted. He should run the country and leave the local stuff to the locals.
I guess when Bush & the Republicans sent us into the worst recession in 80 years, that didn't effect peoples lives. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#917918 Jun 3, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably because he didn't lie.
It was Obama's smear campaign and lies that took the most heat - even by the liberal press at one point.
You probably just forgot.
" ' You probably just forgot' LOL In a way, I blame my friend Greg Sargent. In the first week in January, he noted, almost in passing, that Mitt Romney seemed to be making a lot of false claims, and someone "really should document them all." That struck me as a good idea, so I decided to tackle this on my own.

After all, I thought at the time, how hard could this be? Once a week, I'd let readers know about Romney's whoppers, which I assumed would total about a half-dozen a week, and maybe after the election, I'd do a top 20 list of my favorites. The project would be a nice little Friday-afternoon feature.

Little did I know at the time that Romney would become an ambitious prevaricator, whose rhetoric would come to define post-truth politics. Nearly 11 months after Greg Sargent's harmless suggestion, I've published 40 installments in this series, which, before today, featured 884 falsehoods.(If you include today's edition, the new total is 917 falsehoods for the year.)

I wish that were a typo. It's not." ... And here's just 4 of the 937 whoppers Romney told-->"Romney said he should be elected in order to prevent "four more years of trillion dollar deficits in Washington."

According to the budget plan Romney endorsed, we'll have four more years of trillion dollar deficits in Washington anyway.

3. Romney added he has a "five-point plan ... that'll get this economy going."

The five-point plan -- oil drilling, trade, privatizing K-12 education, vague assertions about debt reduction, and ambiguous promises about doing nice things for small businesses -- is a rehash of Bush/Cheney promises. No credible analysis of the vague agenda has found it capable of boosting the economy.

4. At a campaign event in Doswell, Virginia, Romney said "Obamacare" is "crushing small businesses across America."

There is literally no evidence to support this claim in any way. Indeed, a a significant portion of the ongoing cost of the Affordable Care Act is to give small businesses a tax break.

5. In the same speech, Romney also argued, "The president wants to raise taxes on small business."

In reality, Obama has repeatedly cut taxes on small businesses -- by some counts, 18 times -- and if given a second term, his tax plan would have no effect on 97% of small businesses." Check this out:
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/11/02/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 28 min Cold Front 69,691
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Analog man 5,907
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 52,856
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Guru 187,313
Bubba's wife................Piano-Legs. 5 hr Piano-leg murderer 4
Bill Clinton's Wife. 5 hr WHATS-HER-PLAN 5
New Rapper Seven Dyce 9 hr UBANK RECORDS 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]