Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
Whatever

Gering, NE

#908361 May 21, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>So did I son. I reluctantly supported the effort.
That's what happens when you president lies to you.
And as you clearly don't understand, only one person had the power to do the invasion.
And it was his call, and bushie made.
I sincerely hope not as the law states that approval of congress is required.

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#908362 May 21, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> And what 'safety net' are you assuming will always be there? Voluntary charities and churches? This is true up to a point,but as the history of American catastrophic crises(climate change-induced extreme weather events, wars,economic depressions, etc.) have shown voluntary 'charities and churches', private and local relief resources have been overwhelmed and sadly inadequate to meet those dire challenges; only the U S government(under a united American people? has the combined willpower, resources, and power to provide the necessary 'safety net'.
There ARE economists who believe the creation of big government and FDR's New Deal created more problems than it solved. Considering the entitlement programs are out of control and the collapse of Medicaid and Social Security is inevitable without major reforms, one would have to think they were right.

The same economists claim the free market would have corrected itself in large part if given more time.

Most taxpayers want to provide a safety net. Bad times can fall on anyone.

But dependency on others as a lifestyle with the government's blessing - especially when half the country is dependent on the other half - can't be good for the nation.

Even you should be able to admit that.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#908363 May 21, 2013
Rand Paul pretty much summarizes the whole Apple sideshow in the Senate

"Tell me one of these politicians up here that doesn’t minimize their taxes. Tell me a chief financial officer that you would hire if he didn’t try to minimize your taxes legally. Tell me what Apple has done that is illegal.

I am offended by a government that uses the IRS to bully groups such as the Tea Party but I am also offended by a government that convenes a hearing to bully one of American’s success stories.

I am offended by the spectacle of dragging in here executives from an American company that is not doing anything illegal. If anyone should be on trial here, it should be Congress."

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#908364 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, how does this differ from being a Libertarian? It appears to me that the philosophies are very similar.
I thought your original comment had FDR as a Liberal or perhaps as a new breed of Liberal is what you stated.
No FDR was the one who claimed to be a Liberal which he wasn't in the true sense but set a new Standard or new breed of Liberals which are Considered Pseudo Liberals which are bigots and why in 1940 Presidential election Republican Nominee Wendell Willkie called FDR out on it & Deception.

Wendell Willkie 1940 presidential election

“Come Home America!”

Since: Nov 11

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#908365 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress already 'approved' when they passed AUMF after the 9/11/2001 attack in New York City.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#908366 May 21, 2013
No Surprize wrote:
<quoted text>Let democrats kill the planet with stupid and ghetto ignorance, so all will suffer. Why do you hate intelligence?
lol! So you ARE against free speech, eh?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#908367 May 21, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct.
Really? Why?
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#908368 May 21, 2013
frontporchreactionary wrote:
<quoted text> 98 top executives at Enron who pleaded guilty testified against Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling ; no one has testified against Obama for any wrongdoing punishable under the law.
It's amazing how some of these conservative idiots try to make a coercive parable without showing any connection.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#908369 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
"Tell me one of these politicians up here that doesn’t minimize their taxes. Tell me a chief financial officer that you would hire if he didn’t try to minimize your taxes legally. Tell me what Apple has done that is illegal.
I am offended by a government that uses the IRS to bully groups such as the Tea Party but I am also offended by a government that convenes a hearing to bully one of American’s success stories.
I am offended by the spectacle of dragging in here executives from an American company that is not doing anything illegal. If anyone should be on trial here, it should be Congress."
seems like the Fair Tax should get another look. It would get rid of all of these problems!!!!

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#908370 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
Rand Paul is an idiot but that doesn't disqualify him from running for public office nor deny Americans have a right to vote for him. Rand Paul couldn't show a single shred of evidence that the IRS did anything wrong , but he can be an apologist for a multi-national corporation off-shoring its profits to dodge paying its taxes. How NOT-Libertarian of him.
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#908371 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
lol! They're not Apple son.

And it would appear they were in trouble.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#908372 May 21, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>lol! So you ARE against free speech, eh?
I know you're a libtard but just where did they say that?

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#908374 May 21, 2013
Homer wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a list of these confiscated businesses?
The Venezuelan ruler has already taken over around a dozen banks and directly controls almost a third of the nation’s banking sector. Millions of acres of farmland have also been seized by the regime and redistributed to build collective farms, resulting in a dramatic decrease in agricultural production which has forced the once relatively prosperous nation to import increasing quantities of food.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/sout...

Venezuela’s National Guard seized roughly 120 tons of merchandise Thursday from the country’s largest food company.

Gen. Luis Bohorquez Soto said the guard seized more than 91 tons of wheat flower, 12 tons of butter, five tons of rice and more than 5,000 liters of cooking oil among other products.

The operation was part of President Hugo Chavez’s efforts “to protect the Venezuelan family” and avoid the phenomenon of empty shelves at grocery stores, the general said.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp...

Over the last few weeks, a number of large unused tracts of land owned by latifundistas (big landowners) were taken over by the National Guard in order to begin the process of its redistribution to landless peasants — giving land to those who want to work it.

Chavez said:“Those who refuse to abandon their land will be removed by the Venezuelan military, because they have to respect the laws and the government.”

http://www.worldpress.org/Americas/2161.cfm

Starting to get the picture?
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#908375 May 21, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress approved emergency funding based on faulty information (lies). Twenty five billion slam dunk__they'll be lined up throwing rose petals.

Emergency funding hands all the decision making over to the POTUS and does not employ accrual accounting but cash accounting which does not consider the replacement of equipment and ordinance, reimbursements for the use of state NG and ER units or "future veterans health care and services." The $25 billion lie could easily have a final cost of over three trillion dollars.

That's why some who were initially for the invasion changed their minds after coming out of the ether.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#908377 May 21, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> seems like the Fair Tax should get another look. It would get rid of all of these problems!!!!
Another look?

“Come Home America!”

Claymont, Delaware 19809

#908379 May 21, 2013
Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
There ARE economists who believe the creation of big government and FDR's New Deal created more problems than it solved. Considering the entitlement programs are out of control and the collapse of Medicaid and Social Security is inevitable without major reforms, one would have to think they were right.
The same economists claim the free market would have corrected itself in large part if given more time.
Most taxpayers want to provide a safety net. Bad times can fall on anyone.
But dependency on others as a lifestyle with the government's blessing - especially when half the country is dependent on the other half - can't be good for the nation.
Even you should be able to admit that.
So, you do agree with me , President Obama, and most Americans that we need to work together to fix and mend the Government social safety net not throw it out entirely because its torn and worn-down. You wouldn't be the woman who chose a half of a dead baby rather than letting live a whole, healthy baby with another mother in the King Solomon Bible story;are you?
Dutch Hague

Podgorica, Montenegro

#908380 May 21, 2013
Jews are eternal cancer to this world

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#908381 May 21, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
You might also think twice about getting in that big a$$ truck again to drive to the local store. Because all of us have contributed into making these events turbo charged with global warming. Not once every ten years but now these are annual disasters. No Economy can keep taking those hits but you can sure keep ignoring the obvious.
Do you also tell jokes at funerals?

Gessus, Dood, stop acting like a Liberal!
Jane Says

New York, NY

#908382 May 21, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
This is for Galt; I'll just post the ones most pertinent to rightwingers in relation to fascism:
The 14 Defining Characteristics of Fascism:
7. Obsession with National Security - Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.
8. Religion and Government are Intertwined - Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed
to the government's policies or actions.
9. Corporate Power is Protected - The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.
10. Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed.
11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts - Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts and letters is openly attacked.
12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment - Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.
13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
14. Fraudulent Elections - Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.
Sound familiar Galt?
http://rense.com/general37/fascism.htm
oh looney
Yeah

Honolulu, HI

#908384 May 21, 2013
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I know you're a libtard but just where did they say that?
lol! Can't keep your topix personas straight son?

It must be tough for you to make a point while lying at the same time!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Jacques from Ottawa 178,030
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 21 min Toj 98,226
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 55 min Politician 1,924
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,643
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Eric 69,374
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 1 hr boundary painter 321
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 4,710
Dear Abby 9-17-14 1 hr ralph 17
Amy 9-16 2 hr Toj 50
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••