Barack Obama, our next President

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Comments (Page 41,172)

Showing posts 823,421 - 823,440 of1,033,596
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Likewise, Rubin touts “7 1/2 years of job growth and prosperity.” When you’re evaluating a president who served for eight years, you should be suspicious of phrases like “7 ½ years.” Why pick that time frame? Apparently Rubin is chopping off the recession of 2001, which Bush defenders have always, not unfairly, blamed on conditions that preceded him. She is also chopping off the recession of 2008, which is harder to justify given the previous decision.

So the claim here is that, between the two recessions that began under Bush, we were not in a recession. But the period between the two recessions was a giant housing bubble. And even if we ignore that fact, absolve Bush for the first recession because it came at the beginning of his term, absolve him for the second recession because it came at the end, and absolve him for the bubble that he did nothing to deflate, the fact remains that the job and income growth during that middle period was extraordinarily and historically weak.

If you want to look kindly on Bush’s presidency, you can fairly say that, while he deserves significant blame for ignoring warnings of an Al Qaeda strike and the housing bubble, the disasters of his tenure were not entirely his fault. But what did he do? His economic policies exacerbated income inequality without producing prosperity. His massive increase of the structural budget deficit, which ballooned to over a trillion dollars before President Obama took office, left the United States less fiscally equipped to respond to the economic crisis he also left his predecessor. He initiated a costly war on the basis of both mistaken and deliberately cooked intelligence, and failed to plan for the postwar period. His policies not only ignored the crises of climate change and a costly and cruel health insurance system, but made both much harder to solve.

The failures of Bush’s governing method — the staffing of hacks and cronies, the disdain for evidence — was perfectly reflected in the outcomes. The Bush presidency was a full disaster at home and abroad, and whatever small accomplishments that can be salvaged barely rate any mention in comparison with the failures. The general reckoning of Bush is not too harsh. It is too kind.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Led by Sen. Mike Enzi, Republicans Will Vote to Raise Taxes & Tax iTunes Downloads
http://www.redstate.com/2013/03/20/led-by-sen...
Dave referenced HR 684
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
I am of the opinion of Bush as a failure of a president and I believe that history will judge him so, but after hearing his speech yesterday he has earn a bit of sympathy from me for basically making a mess of the nation.
Perhaps history will judge him as a well intention man that lacked the judgement to make good choices. Better to be see as an idiot with a heart than a evil mastermind.
Who cares? None of us will be around to see the final verdict. That is what makes the LEFT hyperventilating to write History just plain dumb.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

all of you sane folks are welcome to repost this whenever you feel it's necessary. i know i will.

Former Congressman Barney Frank doesn't care that al-Qaeda attacked him in the latest issue of their Inspire magazine, which al-Qaeda publishes intermittently to inspire terrorist attacks in Western nations.

In fact, Frank said he finds it "ironic," comparing al-Qaeda's opposition to his marriage to a man to opposition he said he received from the American right wing.

"I thought there was an irony there," Frank told BuzzFeed when reached by phone Wednesday night. "It sounded like what the tea party said when I got married."

...."I wonder how the right wing in America feels about being aligned with al-Qaeda," Frank continued. He later said, "There is an irony that the most active anti-gay [groups] are al-Qaeda and the American right-wing."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/barne...

which would lead to....in what other ways are our conservatives aligned with more worldly nutjobs? feel free to join in the festivities.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Aunt Bettie Lou wrote:
Did my heart good yesterday to see former President George Bush honored and praised for his service to his country. It was long overdue.
President Obama recognized him as a man "who loves his country", who "takes his job seriously but doesn't take himself too seriously", a man with "a great sense of humor" and, most importantly, "a good man".
Obama knows what many of us aleady knew. George W. Bush IS a good man.
Obama also must appreciate what it feels like to be in a president's - namely GWB's - shoes.
But the last 15 seconds of Bush's speech defined him when he movingly got choked up between saying, "I will always believe America's best days lie ahead....God bless America."
God bless George W. Bush.
It was a good speech. The warmth of both Bush and Clinton is something everyone can feel. Might not of liked all their policies but the fact that they did care and like people is very much noticed. Bush had pride in the US.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave referenced HR 684
all works out the same.

One day I will have a scorecard for conservatives. And those Republicans who vote for the Marketplace Fairness Act in any form will be blackballed from that scorecard. Until then, I hope groups like Club for Growth and Heritage Action will score against it. It is a damnable piece of legislation whose backers are a who’s who of major corporations.

Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Dems on Capital Hill retreat from ObamaCare exemption. Good choice. Good grief, they voted for it and then want exempted from the same law.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

The staggering irony of the Marketplace Fairness Act is that it is written by states craving more money and massive corporations like Wal-Mart who want to hurt small businesses that have become successfully competitive against big retailers online. And in selling the Marketplace Fairness Act, these big businesses and governments have hired lobbyists to claim the law actually benefits small businesses. But the backers are a whose who of major corporations who have a history of using their connections in government to hurt small businesses that have figured out how to successfully compete against big businesses.

Even more shameful, these big businesses and state governments have been pouring money into conservative outfits and right-of-center lobbying outfits to try to convince conservatives that tapping a massive new revenue stream for states to balance budgets is somehow a conservative milestone.

Some of those supporting the Marketplace Fairness Act are good people with good intentions who believe the law is noble in purpose and buy the spin. But many are bought and paid for by the major corporations who have for too long rigged the system to their advantage by shutting out entrepreneurial competitors through the tax code and other laws.

Republicans who vote for the Marketplace Fairness Act, including Mike Enzi, should be, metaphorically speaking because it’d otherwise be illegal, flogged.

WOW

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

WOW'I was scared': Woman accused of killing her unborn baby by drinking rat poison speaks out ahead of murder trial as her lawyer insists it was a suicide attempt

WHY WOULD THEY TRY THIS WOMAN FOR MURDER ANY LIBS WANT TO ANSWER MAYBE SOMEONE FROM THE PHILLY AREA they should give this woman a LIB MEDAL she is PRO ABORTION and she saves the taxpayers money now they want to put THIS POOR IMMIGRANT WOMAN IN JAIL????????
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
all works out the same.
One day I will have a scorecard for conservatives. And those Republicans who vote for the Marketplace Fairness Act in any form will be blackballed from that scorecard. Until then, I hope groups like Club for Growth and Heritage Action will score against it. It is a damnable piece of legislation whose backers are a who’s who of major corporations.
Everyone needs to do what they think is best. Myself, personally, have mixed feelings. I enjoy the internet being tax free, but it is not a golden calf so why should it be given a special privilege? It is on hold at the moment to allow evaluation of the impact.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
Dems on Capital Hill retreat from ObamaCare exemption. Good choice. Good grief, they voted for it and then want exempted from the same law.
Republicans and Democrats in Washington Conspire to Exempt Themselves from Obamacare

http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/25/republican...
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Fenris the Big Bad Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I call myself the new wave of fiscally Conservative liberertarian because:
I believe in science, but only when its actually been proven.
I believe corporations are businesses (not people), but that they are also equal legs of a stool that will fall down without an equal ethical other. The third leg is a non-intrusive government.
I believe in equal rights regardless of sexual orientation, but the playing field should be level by REMOVING taxation/incentives, not expanding them.
I believe that 47% of Americans aren’t looking for a government handout because they've already found it.
I believe we must learn from history, not repeat it. The begining of that lesson is decreasing government activity to a crawl.
I believe women deserve the same rights as men, but no more. I am undecded if that includes driving or posting on Topix.
I believe our sexual orientation is something we’re born with, not something we choose. I also dont give a sht and dont want to have it forced down my throat (especially "literally").
I believe immigration is PART of what made this country great, but its unsustainable and unrealistic to expect it to be an infinite process.
I believe freedom for all means freedom for all, except when its on my dime (or anyone else's).
I believe we have the right to own guns. Now if leftist phags started advocating actually punishing the criminals who abuse them (instead of trying to infringe Constitutional rights), we'd be in business.
I believe in a living wage, and the necessity to work hard to earn it.
I believe most rich people have created/expanded their wealth on their own thru legal hard work, unless they have last names like Kennedy, or Pelosi.
I believe welfare sometimes helps the poor, but is horribly abused.
There retard, I helped you out...
Wow, what a terrific response. I was off put by the exaggerated, self-righteous and simplistic viewpoint of the post you responded to formulate a response that was more balanced and fair. Thanks for taking the time.

“Often imitated”

Since: Jul 07

never duplicated

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Emaam wrote:
I call myself a liberal because:
I believe in science
I believe corporations are businesses, not people
I believe in equal rights, regardless of sexual orientation
I believe that 47% of Americans aren’t looking for a government handout
I believe in climate change, not that God has decided to use weather to “punish sin”
I believe we must learn from history, not repeat it
I believe women deserve the same rights as men
I believe our sexual orientation is something we’re born with, not something we choose
I believe immigration is what has made this country great, not what will bring it down
I believe freedom for all means freedom for all
I believe we have the right to own guns, but our Second Amendment says “well regulated” for a reason
I believe in a living wage
I believe you don’t create wealth by giving rich people more money
I believe welfare helps the poor, it doesn’t punish the rich
You said you were a log cabin republican.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Abdul, I believe you and Barney would be the perfect couple....
oh how sweet. a nutjob that believes in gay marriage.

i bet you love going to CPAC.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Hey Sonic,

The Today Show was talking about Syria today also as well as most of the major papers.

What in the world were you having a hizzy fit about yesterday? Sometimes you try to be so oppositional that you fail to think clearly.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone needs to do what they think is best. Myself, personally, have mixed feelings. I enjoy the internet being tax free, but it is not a golden calf so why should it be given a special privilege? It is on hold at the moment to allow evaluation of the impact.
i signed a letter to my congressman this morning about the issue. funny thing was...the website with the form letter had the Heritage Foundation as one of the sponsors.

talk about irony.
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I call myself the new wave of fiscally Conservative liberertarian because:
I believe in science, but only when its actually been proven.
I believe corporations are businesses (not people), but that they are also equal legs of a stool that will fall down without an equal ethical other. The third leg is a non-intrusive government.
I believe in equal rights regardless of sexual orientation, but the playing field should be level by REMOVING taxation/incentives, not expanding them.
I believe that 47% of Americans aren’t looking for a government handout because they've already found it.
I believe we must learn from history, not repeat it. The begining of that lesson is decreasing government activity to a crawl.
I believe women deserve the same rights as men, but no more. I am undecded if that includes driving or posting on Topix.
I believe our sexual orientation is something we’re born with, not something we choose. I also dont give a sht and dont want to have it forced down my throat (especially "literally").
I believe immigration is PART of what made this country great, but its unsustainable and unrealistic to expect it to be an infinite process.
I believe freedom for all means freedom for all, except when its on my dime (or anyone else's).
I believe we have the right to own guns. Now if leftist phags started advocating actually punishing the criminals who abuse them (instead of trying to infringe Constitutional rights), we'd be in business.
I believe in a living wage, and the necessity to work hard to earn it.
I believe most rich people have created/expanded their wealth on their own thru legal hard work, unless they have last names like Kennedy, or Pelosi.
I believe welfare sometimes helps the poor, but is horribly abused.
There retard, I helped you out...
I do, although, hold it is my RIGHT to post on Topix. LOL
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans and Democrats in Washington Conspire to Exempt Themselves from Obamacare
http://www.redstate.com/2013/04/25/republican...
Silly, the Democrats voted to past ObamaCare-not the Republicans. It is the height of idiocy to pass a law, as the Dems did, and than ask to be exempt from it.

You surely can see the hypocrisy.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Whatever wrote:
Hey Sonic,
The Today Show was talking about Syria today also as well as most of the major papers.
What in the world were you having a hizzy fit about yesterday? Sometimes you try to be so oppositional that you fail to think clearly.
oppositional about Syria?

i must be posting to often. now i have a stalker.

but anyway....seems there may have been chemical weapons used. Obama needs to hold to his word and get to it.

better?
Whatever

Scottsbluff, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i signed a letter to my congressman this morning about the issue. funny thing was...the website with the form letter had the Heritage Foundation as one of the sponsors.
talk about irony.
What is ironical about that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 823,421 - 823,440 of1,033,596
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Rogue Scholar 05 167,392
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 45 min Whiny1 4,021
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 53 min KiMare 47,001
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 64,956
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr prognosticator 96,010
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 42,928
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 1 hr DUMP Durbin 6,528
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]